Packing mistakes

ncshp955

We have only been on one cruise but the biggest mistake I made was overpacking. I didn't forget ANYTHING. I was so worried that I couldn't just make a store run like on other vacations, that I packed for EVERY scenario I could think of. Not necessary! I will be packing way lighter for our upcoming cruise. The only thing I can think of that we had that I wouldn't have wanted to do without was our power strip. But we would have still lived without it.

I don't pack a lot of 'extras'. I don't have electronics, curling irons, etc that need to be plugged in. I don't worry about not having something, I live with the mindset that "If its not there, oh well-too bad".

Maybe I'm just really good at packing, been doing it for vacations for YEARS and its down to a science.

A few years ago, as we were flying to Miami for our cruise, it dawned on me that I had forgotten to pack a dress shirt (:eek:), although I had packed my suit and a tie (as well as a sports coat and dress pants). I found out that you can't buy a dress shirt on the ship. Fortunately, I did have a couple of nice pull-over knits that I could wear with my sports coat and pants. Needless to say, after that, I always make sure that I have at least one dress shirt on the same hanger with my suit. It definitely helps when you group things together. And, like everyone else, there have been a few items that I took and didn't really need. Although I've never worked from a written list (as my DW does), I've learned that when you group things together, you're less likely to forget something.

I am pretty good about having all I need in a carry-on suitcase and bookbag or beach bag ( just can't pay airline robbery fees for luggage). We don't do formal, so this is easier of course. Electronics I don't own (cellphone,Ipad,laptop,nook etc. therefore a powerstrip is not needed. I guess making sure I have enough books is always a concern. The one thing I did forget is sunglasses once. I never wear a pair and have one tucked away with cruise things, but it is often lost or forgotten while packing.

I did have a sandal blow-out last cruise and paid highway robbery prices for super glue on the last trip.

I am agreeing with the Advil (or anything that requires headache, hangover). INSANE what they charge on the ship. ANY kind of medication you need....like Tums for heartburn...Aloe for sunburn...sunblock....etc. attach.gif

The prices are about $12 for these things....and small bottles, might I add.

I still don't understand the whole "power strip" thing. Have never needed one....and have read that sometimes they are confiscated. :eek: I guess we just don't need everything plugged in at the same time.

Although you may ask your room steward for a wine bottle opener, we bring our own instead of waiting for him to hunt one down...

A couple of clothes pins to hang up your bathing suits. (also good for clipping onto the bottom of the shower curtain, as it tends to wrap around you while taking a shower)...lol :o

Yes - pack your own pharmacy. Never even thought to pack Visine - that was $12.50 I had to spend on board for the tiny orginal formula of it. But my eyes were burning red and I was glad that they at least carried it on board.

Other than that, I haven't needed anything else that I didn't take with me for the trip. But last cruise I forgot to put the rain ponchos in the "excursion bag" and yep - we got soaked that day, but the ponchos stayed nice and dry in the stateroom.:rolleyes:

One other thing - take, use often and keep with you at all times - chapstick. Nothing worse than putting your dry lips on the straw to suck up your fru fru drink and leaving half your lips on the straw when you have to pry it off your face.

agree with above posters - anything you'd get very cheap in the pharmacy dept of Wal-Mart (double the price for anything you need on the ship) and your own blow dryer. Not only are the ships on a very short coil, but you also have to constantly hold down the button to keep it on. Frustrating and hard on your fingers.

Also, need found a need for a power strip or bungee cord. But that's just us!

Also a hint as we only bring one suitcase - I write out our Cruise Clothes - what we plan on wearing every night so I don't pack those extras - just in case clothes.

Instead of a power strip I pack an extension cord that has a multi outlet, that way I can plug in several items and have longer length.

I've learned to live with the ship hairdryer because all mine are too heavy and bulky.

I've made an agreement with my best friend that we travel with....don't laugh at me if you see me use tops/bottoms in different outfits. This has cut way down on my packing. I bring 1 each...black capris, black dress, black skirt and make due with assorted tops. This also cuts down on the assortment of shoes and jewelry required.

Always bring a small bottle of lysol and febreeze and downey wrinkle relaxer. Every problem/emergency can be solved with a piece of duct tape. I have a small roll that stays in the suitcase and never comes out.

We always bring a powerstrip, the one outlet in the room doesn't cut it. I agree with bringing all types of OTC meds even if you think you won't need them. Way too expensive to buy on the ship. We also bring a travel alarm clock and I do bring my own blowdryer too. If after you've packed and find you are either bringing too many suitcases or can't close one, take out some clothes. I end up wearing 1/2 of what I bring!

I always bring an assortment of zip closure bags. They are great for keeping small things together, and for making sure shampoo and conditioner, tooth paste don't get squished out and all over clothes. Use them for your Wrinkle Release and Febreeze stuff as well.

Also they are great for keeping dirty clothes in.

I second the lip sunscreen and moisturizer tubes, I always take several now after losing one on the beach somewhere.

I was very glad that I brought stain stick with us when I spilt ice tea on my brand new white shirt during lunch on embarkation day!

I brought a power strip but never used it. We actually had two outlets in our cabin, one on the vanity and one behind the TV.

I did bring medicines with me, but next time I'll bring more after I paid $17.99 for a regular size bottle of dayquil on the ship:eek:

I was also glad that I brought a cheap bottle of antibacterial pump soapnfor that bathroom. We did get discs of soap but I prefer liquid for handwashing.

I need the power strip to plug in the clock and the night light! I have a small cosmetic bag that has OTC meds, got a cold once on a vacation & had no medicine and no way to get some, so now I go prepared.

I enjoy wearing different outfits when I am on vacation. We drive so don't have to worry about luggage fees. We take 3 suitcases, small, medium and large.

I may start making a list, I seem to be forgetting the little things lately. We did a weekend trip and I forgot my magnifying mirror, so I just didn't put on eye makeup but would really miss it on a cruise.

Passports...... We got all the way to the terminal in Miami and when we gave the luggage to the porters he asked us if we had everything. My wife looked at me with horror in her eyes and I knew exactly what she forgot. The porter was really nice about the whole thing and told us to just tell the people who check ID's we forgot ours in our luggage which we did and she told me to go look to see if I could find them. Went outside looked for a couple minutes and went back inside and told her the porter told me they were gone. She looked at our state drivers licenses and said have a good trip:eek:

To be serious for the slightest of moments, Advil. I paid like $11.00 for a bottle of 20 or so in the store onboard. I don't plan on forgetting that anymore.

We did the same thing a few years back, then the next day I had to go to the infirmary for hydrocortisone cream....for some reason I told the nurse about buying the way overpriced advil, and she said "oh my you could have come here and it would be free!!" she gave us a bunch to make up for what we paid for in the sundries shop!! :D

Archived