Packing mistakes

ncshp955

I'm a packing neat freak, organized nut with a packing list made from many things suggested on the boards.

I once thought I forgot something (dh's ties) turned out I really didn't forget them, they were in a zipper pocket that I missed while unpacking onboard. So dh got a couple of new ties while on the cruise. I found them while unpacking when we got home. :rolleyes:

I'm one of those who takes everything I want or may think I want/need. I usually appreciate everything I bring.

One thing I can suggest, lots of $1 bills and back up memory for your digital camera and change them out so if your camera is lost/stolen, you don't lose all of your pictures.

We had a shoe organizer to but instead of putting it in the bathroom we put it on the inside of one of the closets. I felt like it kept the room looking more clean and tidy, and kept it out if our room stewards way.

we do this too...we hang it on the outside of the closet door that way everything has a little pocket. ds's little shoes go in the bottom rows so he can always find his shoes, and uses less space in the closet and the rest we use to organize-sticky notes, pens/highlighters, sunblock, s&s cards when we are in cabin, mp3 & cells, cords etc.

keeps the cabin tidy and organized...just the way i like it.

Comfy Shoes. I didn't forget to pack shoes, thought I packed very comfy ones. But after 1 day on our last cruise i had to buy another pair in Cozumel cause my feet hurt so bad. Now I will pack a back up pair of comfy shoes.

I agree with the pharmacy stuff, always make sure we have a 1st aid kit.

On a vacation to Cancuun, my lens fell out of my glasses- We ended up going to Walmart to get my lens put back in. I am nearly blind w/o my glasses, so a fix it kit wouldn't work for me- I wouldn't be able to see well enough to fix them. So now I pack a spare pair of glasses just in case.

Great thread- I have added a few things to my list.

Here's my packing list...I adjust as needed but this list was from ideas I received on the boards. Some things I do take, some not. You can mark it off as you place it in your suitcase. It helps organizing and makes sure you don't forget anything.

p.s.

my nook too...need to add that to the list.

Copy of Tamras packing list.xls

We have only been on one cruise but the biggest mistake I made was overpacking. I didn't forget ANYTHING. I was so worried that I couldn't just make a store run like on other vacations, that I packed for EVERY scenario I could think of. Not necessary! I will be packing way lighter for our upcoming cruise. The only thing I can think of that we had that I wouldn't have wanted to do without was our power strip. But we would have still lived without it.

We did the same thing on our first cruise. We way over packed. My wife took 22 pairs of shoes:eek:, no joke. I had four pair, dress shoes, boat shoes, sneakers and flip flops. She wore four different pair in one day.:eek: Now, she sometimes takes the same as me or less. I still take four pair. LOL

Our very first cruise I forgot my hair brush - not a biggie , but inconvenient! Went into a drugstore in Cozumel, saw the price of brushes (unbelievable)! I huffed out and said "I'll do without it."

Being the basic dummy I am, did I bother to think that the dollar sign with only one slash mark is Mexican peso??? No I did not! Hang your head in shame. $

Thanks for the great suggestions!

Just got back from the 8 night Valor and I regretted not packing the power surge strip this time! There was only one outlet in the cabin to charge IPAds, Kindles, cell phones, rechargeable batteries. Not to mention a curling iron etc. Yikes, it drove me nuts!

Best things to take are your own pump antibacterial hand soap and sanitizer, clothes pins to hang up wet swimsuits in your shower or on your balcony, not to mention on to secure your towel on your lounger when above deck. Stick ups one for the cabin and one for the balcony. A roll of quarters if you even think you will do laundry. A small Tide type stain stick and a small travel bottle of liquid detergent to hand wash swimsuits and clothing items.

Some type of cups, either a thermal one or even red solo cups. If you want to take a lemonade to your cabin or even have a soda card it is just more convenient and you get more.

But the power strip was the thing I did not take this time and missed :rolleyes:

I've forgotten to pack enough stuff over the years that I now have a permanent travel tote in the closet. It goes into the suitcase for every trip that is more than overnight. I'm hoping it's not missing anything for my first cruise in 16 days.

The essentials in the bag are: (1) a pair of scissors; (2) a package of cable ties--I just pick them up at the dollar store; (3) a universal charging pad; (4) my toiletry bag which gets restocked after every vacation; (5) first aid kit with all the OTC meds-- I learner that lesson the hardest too. :thumbdown:; (6) individual suncreen wipes for midday reapplies

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

What is the one thing you really wish you had packed and didn't? Might get some good ideas from this. I have started a list (don't sail till next May) so I can hopefully not forget to much.:rolleyes:

A few years ago, as we were flying to Miami for our cruise, it dawned on me that I had forgotten to pack a dress shirt (:eek:), although I had packed my suit and a tie (as well as a sports coat and dress pants). I found out that you can't buy a dress shirt on the ship. Fortunately, I did have a couple of nice pull-over knits that I could wear with my sports coat and pants. Needless to say, after that, I always make sure that I have at least one dress shirt on the same hanger with my suit. It definitely helps when you group things together. And, like everyone else, there have been a few items that I took and didn't really need. Although I've never worked from a written list (as my DW does), I've learned that when you group things together, you're less likely to forget something.

Along the same lines as beachbum, on one of my previous cruises, my tux pants fell off the hangar and stayed in the floor of my closet. Fortunately I was able to rent just the pants from the formal shop on board.

More often than not, I find myself packing home things I never used.

I've forgotten to pack enough stuff over the years that I now have a permanent travel tote in the closet. It goes into the suitcase for every trip that is more than overnight. I'm hoping it's not missing anything for my first cruise in 16 days.

The essentials in the bag are: (1) a pair of scissors; (2) a package of cable ties--I just pick them up at the dollar store; (3) a universal charging pad; (4) my toiletry bag which gets restocked after every vacation; (5) first aid kit with all the OTC meds-- I learner that lesson the hardest too. :thumbdown:; (6) individual suncreen wipes for midday reapplies

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Just a thought... Check the size of your scissors

• Scissors with blades no longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

Carnival-FAQ's

Just remember that when you are packing that nothing goes into your suitcase empty. Fill your mugs and insulated glasses with all your "baby" med bottles, shoes are full of socks, belts, underwear, hats are great places to fill with swim wear. Use a fold on itself fabric jewelry bag, invest in a "hanging" toiletry case (find these at Target), put a small bottle of eyewash in your glasses case along with a glasses screwdriver where the screws fit in the handle, get perfume and cologne samples from your local cosmetic counter, use a twice daily medications box instead of taking your prescriptions separately, find some mini ziplock bags 2" x 2" (craft stores) and fill with over the counter meds. Lastly buy real dogtags at your Army/Navy store (probably under $3 with 4 lines of info) and attach to all your luggage, camera, lap top, beach bag, purse.

Just remember that when you are packing that nothing goes into your suitcase empty. Fill your mugs and insulated glasses with all your "baby" med bottles' date=' shoes are full of socks, belts, underwear, hats are great places to fill with swim wear. Use a fold on itself fabric jewelry bag, invest in a "hanging" toiletry case (find these at Target), put a small bottle of eyewash in your glasses case along with a glasses screwdriver where the screws fit in the handle, get perfume and cologne samples from your local cosmetic counter, use a twice daily medications box instead of taking your prescriptions separately, find some mini ziplock bags 2" x 2" (craft stores) and fill with over the counter meds. Lastly buy real dogtags at your Army/Navy store (probably under $3 with 4 lines of info) and attach to all your luggage, camera, lap top, beach bag, purse.[/quote']

What great tips:o:o

I use one of the round mini-M&M's containers that they sell at the check-outs to take quarters in, the lid snaps tight and holds over $10 of quarters. And to the average room thief, it looks like candy....

Love this idea! Compact, easy to pack, easy to carry!

I started a packing list years ago for various cruise lengths (7 & 12). It was modified after each cruise (until I was satisfied) - what was forgotten or was not needed or over packed. I try to pack light and only what is truly worn or needed! (I don't need 15 shirts for a seven day cruise)

Since I am a diabetic and on an insulin pump, I have additional medications & supplies not needed by the normal cruiser. I start checking these 2 weeks before the trip! AND - double check the list during packing! Have already ordered a loaner insulin pump for the trip!

However, on a recent cruise I managed to nick myself shaving and it would not stop bleeding so I was forced to go to the infirmary. :o After a quick medical check-up, they applied a stipple pen to the nick and applied a small band aid and charged me $45! :eek: I now have the pen packed with my Emergency Kit.

First change to my list in over 5 years and we are planning on a 48 day trip this Nov. Packing for 12 days and doing laundry along the way!

What is the one thing you really wish you had packed and didn't? Might get some good ideas from this. I have started a list (don't sail till next May) so I can hopefully not forget to much.:rolleyes:

I cant really say there is one thing. My problem is that I usually bring too much of one thing or another. In my early years of cruising, brought too much casual clothes, and not enough fancy. Last two times I brought too many fancy clothes and not enough middle of the road clothes. So, I guess I could just find that right balance between casual, fancy, and middle of the road clothing, then that would be great.

Also, last two cruises I brought two books, one hard cover and one paperback. I barely read 10 pages of the paperback. Was too busy having fun. So next time, I only bring one or none at all. I just want to pack less of everything next time.:)

Once I forgot my contact lens case. Finding one wasn't easy. I tried medical for a medicine bottle but they said no. Was just going to use a glass...

Finally found one in the place they sell liquor. They had a small stand of different items like aspirin, tums, Pringles and contact lens case!

Archived