Citizenship papers

Dazey18

Has anyone here tried boarding a Carnival ship with Citizenship papers? ..I believe they are also called Certificate of Naturalization.... I have about 6 weeks till my cruise and I'm worried a passport wouldn't arrive in time. My TA said my husband should be fine and to stop worrying, but what can I say, I'm a worrier. Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death already, any help especially those with experience would be very much appreciated.

Has anyone here tried boarding a Carnival ship with Citizenship papers? ..I believe they are also called Certificate of Naturalization.... I have about 6 weeks till my cruise and I'm worried a passport wouldn't arrive in time. My TA said my husband should be fine and to stop worrying, but what can I say, I'm a worrier. Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death already, any help especially those with experience would be very much appreciated.

It's not only what Carnival will except, it's what is required by Customs. You should contact go to the Carnival website to get exactly what is required.

If you do not have the all of the right documentation, they will NOT let you board.

Unfortunately, the answer is NO.

http://www.newcitizen.us/passport.html

That isn't an official site or official information, and if it says you can't use a Certificate of Naturalization, it's wrong. US government web sites are .gov, not .us .

In fact a Certificate of Naturalization plus a photo ID is acceptable for taking closed loop cruise. Here's the official US customs and Border Protection site:

http://getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Further, Carnival confirms this:

http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=travel+documentation#q-544391

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. Citizens

Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, travelling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one. Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

Valid U.S. Passport

Passport Card

Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city)

Certificate of Naturalization

Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

Enhanced Tribal Card

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

As NJ Horseman says this is not an official site but a private site. Its wrong and doesn't correctly explain either the passport card of the WHTI(western hemisphere travel initiative-including the use of a naturalization certificate)...at least.

I always am suspect of the motives of someone who would set up a look a like site and not state in caps that it is not a government site.

Unfortunately US law prohibits copyrighting almost anything by the government so they are free to do this.

Thank you to everyone for your help. My husband is going to the post office in the morning to apply for a passport. If there's a way to expedite we will do so, if not, then we'll be hoping and praying his documents are enough for him to board. ....

Njhorseman...thank you for quoting that. I had read that but I guess I needed reassurance from experienced cruisers. Thank you again everyone.

One more thing, I read an article where a family missed their carnival cruise because some one in their party didn't have a raised seal on her Naturalization Certificate and therefore wasnt allowed to board. The family blamed their TA for not informing them on this. My TA also did not inform me of this, but thankfully after reading that article I checked my husbands papers and his seals are in fact raised.... Are TA's not being informed of this rule?

That isn't an official site or official information, and if it says you can't use a Certificate of Naturalization, it's wrong. US government web sites are .gov, not .us .

In fact a Certificate of Naturalization plus a photo ID is acceptable for taking closed loop cruise. Here's the official US customs and Border Protection site:

http://getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Further, Carnival confirms this:

http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=travel+documentation#q-544391

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. Citizens

Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, travelling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one. Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

Valid U.S. Passport

Passport Card

Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city)

Certificate of Naturalization

Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

Enhanced Tribal Card

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

Thank you for correcting me, NJ!

Passport applications can be expedited for a fee.

For the poster asking if TA's were being advised of this info, it's up to the TA as a professional adviser to continually educate and update their information. The problem is, some/many are nothing but order takers. It is up to the individual traveler to research all the info they can. Way to many view taking a cruise the same as taking Greyhound to the next state!!!

Archived