Southampton Cruise Terminal Arrival Time?

M-E-K

We are coming from our hotel in central London the morning of our 11/20/12 transatlantic cruise on QM2. What is the latest time we can/should arrive at the cruise terminal for a 4pm sailing? We'd like to have a leisurely morning that day, taking a stop at Stonehenge briefly on our way to the cruise terminal. We are going to book a transfer with Smiths For Travel and I need to give them a pick-up time at our hotel (Park Plaza Westminster Bridge) that morning.

This is our first time in England and not sure about travel times and such. Any suggestions?

We are coming from our hotel in central London the morning of our 11/20/12 transatlantic cruise on QM2. What is the latest time we can/should arrive at the cruise terminal for a 4pm sailing? We'd like to have a leisurely morning that day, taking a stop at Stonehenge briefly on our way to the cruise terminal. We are going to book a transfer with Smiths For Travel and I need to give them a pick-up time at our hotel (Park Plaza Westminster Bridge) that morning. This is our first time in England and not sure about travel times and such. Any suggestions?

For a 4pm sailing I would aim to arrive no later than 2pm. That would allow for traffic delays and check in. You will not spend a great deal of time at Stonehenge unless it is busy. A 9am pick-up would allow plenty of time for the journey, to see Stonehenge and get some lunch in Salisbury, and still make the ship.

Bon Voyage! :) .

I would advise to get to the terminal by 11 am to avoid the rush. Last December and again this past April, I did not get to the terminal till near 1pm and encountered very long, slow lines for both security and check in. (Being a prioity passenger was of no help) Gets the voyage off to a bad start. As luck would have it, their computer system broke down both times -but after I was processed thank goodness - so it was even worse for those people behind me. Life boat drill and sailing delayed both times waiting for everyone to board. They do not pay any attention to the boarding time you are givien on your pre-voyage documentation. I suppose if you are aware of the possibility of standing in line for a couple of hours and it does not bother you, you can take your time getting there. I am sure others who have sailed out of Southampton will say whether my experience was the norm or not. Have a wonderful time on the ship - all my frustrations always melt away as soon as I enter the grand lobby. I will be on board again in a month.

Thank you pepperrn!
A pleasure, don't get me wrong, I usually arrive at the terminal at 1115, as Keuka Lake Sailor suggests, and have lunch on board. I would try to avoid the post-lunch rush. But you wish to see a tourist sight first.

My personal choice would be to get to the ship, not linger on the way. The ship will sail without you. Watch the clock, it is easy to relax and spend too long in a gift shop or over lunch. Or to say "we'll just see the Cathedral". Have a great time on board Queen Mary 2.

I have to agree with what other people have said on this thread (or have more or less said), which is get to the ship as early as possible.

I hate to say it but I would skip Salisbury / Stonehenge. My family come from Salisbury and it is an amazing place but you would be better off getting to Southampton as soon as possible.

My logic being:

1) You can never tell with the traffic in the UK; You only need one prang up and you could get held up for over 2 hours.

2) With the weather the UK has had this year, you only need to get the wrong weather and you may not get to the ship on time.

3) There was a cruise ship a couple of years that was sailing on a “bad weather day” from Southampton and even though they delayed departure by four hours some passengers got left behind.

I might be a bit bias, as I come from Southampton but you may want to stay in Southampton the night before and do one or two of the following tourist attractions:

http://www.seacitymuseum.co.uk/

Walk Southampton Walls

http://www.visit-southampton.co.uk/

Whatever you decide, have a good time and we will see you on board.

Hmm - I have recently boarded all 3 Queens at Southampton - and I am now of the opinion that in future, I will arrive AS LATE as possible at the terminal ( for any cruiseship). The very best objective is to attempt to be the very last passenger to board.

As others have said, everybody ignores their allocated boarding times and tend to arrive early. This in turn causes chaos and long queues. Better to arrive some time after your allocated boarding time - but obviously well before the advertised sailing time.

The last two times we boarded at Southampton, we did arrive early and deposited our luggage - then spent a few hours exploring Southampton itself. This however would not suit any who are wishing to explore outside of Southampton.

There is plenty of seating inside the terminals - and the small kiosk sells newspapers, hot coffee and cold beer :) No need to queue with the plebs at all :)

Think about it!!!

Barry

I've only boarded in Soton on a Princess ship, but we arrived at 1:30 to a nearly deserted terminal. Checkin was a breeze and our luggage still got to the room before we did. The rush to board "early" has diminishing returns in the quest for a relaxing holiday.

Hmm - I have recently boarded all 3 Queens at Southampton - and I am now of the opinion that in future, I will arrive AS LATE as possible at the terminal. The very best objective is to attempt to be the very last passenger to board... Barry
Thanks Barry. But, while you are rushing around the sights of Southampton...

Some of us are on board, found our table position and seen old friends amongst the stewards in the restaurant (and made any changes to table size/position we desire), booked for Todd English, booked our "behind the scenes tour", booked the spa, brought our luggage into the cabin (that, being first on board, arrives at the cabin sometimes before we do), had a free lunch, a stroll around the promenade (watching our fellow passengers below lining up to board) and made our way to the Commodore Club for our first cocktail by 1400. And thereby gain an extra afternoon on board the ship. But, to each their own, and I can understand if you've come halfway around the world to see Southampton... I'd have to drag myself away to board the ship as well, I'm sure. Very best wishes.

Thanks Barry. But, while you are rushing around the sights of Southampton...

Some of us are on board, found our table position and seen old friends amongst the stewards in the restaurant (and made any changes to table size/position we desire), booked for Todd English, booked our "behind the scenes tour", booked the spa, brought our luggage into the cabin (that, being first on board, arrives at the cabin sometimes before we do), had a free lunch, a stroll around the promenade (watching our fellow passengers below lining up to board) and made our way to the Commodore Club for our first cocktail by 1400. And thereby gain an extra afternoon on board the ship. But, to each their own, and I can understand if you've come halfway around the world to see Southampton... I'd have to drag myself away to board the ship as well, I'm sure. Very best wishes.

I thought you were supposed to be on holiday??? :D

But don't denigrate the delights of Southampton - there is much to be seen there, in out of the way places. AND - a cheap lunch at the Standing Order pub, where the tap ales are just so much better than that served on the Cunard ships.

Barry

Oh, I wish :) . I like Southampton a lot (but don't tell my mates in Portsmouth :eek: ),

AAh !! Then you would know the Ship Anson, the Spice Islands and the Still and West in Portsmouth :D I spent 6 months at the submarine base in Gosport in 1979 and have returned to Portsmouth many times since. There have certainly been some changes there in the intervening time. It is just a shame that Southampton has not advanced as well.

Barry

I thought you were supposed to be on holiday??? :D
Oh, I wish :) .
But don't denigrate the delights of Southampton - there is much to be seen there, in out of the way places. AND - a cheap lunch at the Standing Order pub, where the tap ales are just so much better than that served on the Cunard ships. Barry
I like Southampton a lot (but don't tell my mates in Portsmouth :eek: ), but tend to frequent the pubs and restaurants on Oxford St (incl "The White Star"). Just a short 2 minute stagger to the Dock Gate and Ocean Terminal ;) . Best wishes!

long time listener... first time on Cunard.....

Sevearal of you have referred to a time to queue on the travel documents. Is that just a suggestion, or, as you say it can be ignored and just show up when we want?

We are departing from Athens mid-Nov and want to do an a tour of the city before arriving at the ship.

Follow-up question... .The QE does not depart until 9pm - does that mean that we really don't have to board until really late afternoon, like 4 or 5pm - we don't want to miss the first dinner...

Having been caught behind an accident on the motorway en route to Southampton and been stuck there for 4 whole hours, I would also aim to get there ASAP.

My thoughts too.

I am always early for things. Especially when a long journey is involved. I would hate to miss something because of a delay.

Sevearal of you have referred to a time to queue on the travel documents. Is that just a suggestion, or, as you say it can be ignored and just show up when we want?
It's really a suggestion. More people show up early than show up late, so unless you feel a need to maximize your time onboard (some do) it can be nicer to have a relaxing lunch somewhere (it's just not "free' like aboard the ship) and show up an hour or two after the initial crush.

I do not have a opinion on getting to the dock before or after your alloted time, but I will be travelling down to Soton the day Before the Crossing when I go, had a near miss once before with a flight to Florida due to bad weather. As booking a hotel in Soton for the night is not on the cards for you, I would go for the leave as early as possible head straight for Soton option.

long time listener... first time on Cunard.....

SWe are departing from Athens mid-Nov and want to do an a tour of the city before arriving at the ship.

Follow-up question... .The QE does not depart until 9pm - does that mean that we really don't have to board until really late afternoon, like 4 or 5pm - we don't want to miss the first dinner...

Last year we boarded the QV in Rome. We did not arrive at the ship until very early evening, for a 9/10pm departure. The Britannia Restaurant was open seating on that first night, to a table allocated when entering. Have no fear about missing your first meal in the dining room.

Last year we boarded the QV in Rome. We did not arrive at the ship until very early evening, for a 9/10pm departure. The Britannia Restaurant was open seating on that first night, to a table allocated when entering. Have no fear about missing your first meal in the dining room.

Thanks... I was more concerned about missing check-in than dinner. . . think I can make up for ONE missed meal !?

Thank you all for your input, so very helpful. I have arranged for Smiths to pick us up at our hotel at 9:00am. From what I've been reading, it sounds like we will only need a half hour at Stonehenge, that means we should arrive at the cruise terminal by 1:00pm. My sons and I are just thrilled about this trip! Yesterday, we went shopping for new suits especially for this cruise! Look out London! Here we come!:D

Thank you all for your input, so very helpful. I have arranged for Smiths to pick us up at our hotel at 9:00am. From what I've been reading, it sounds like we will only need a half hour at Stonehenge, that means we should arrive at the cruise terminal by 1:00pm. My sons and I are just thrilled about this trip! Yesterday, we went shopping for new suits especially for this cruise! Look out London! Here we come!:D
I sincerely wish you a wonderful time, and a fantastic voyage on QM2. If you've further questions please ask, there are some real experts here. There are pictures of QM2's interiors via the link below, I hope they help build the excitement! Bon Voyage! :) :) :)

Archived