Aunt Linda Sails to Alaska – Review of Radiance of the Seas Northbound from Vancouver

MisterMom

This, essentially, is the end of our trip. We arrived in Anchorage around midnight and had to be awake by 6:00am to make an early flight. It was a crazy few hours on limited sleep but all was well.

This issue with the seat in front of me got a free cocktail on the flight home.

IMAG0534_zps8882a46d.jpg

As I FINALLY wrap up this review, I leave you with this last scenic pic I caught as the Alaska Railroad train ride ended…

DSC05447.jpg

And the reason for our family trip to such as exotic, beautiful place….

DSCF0307_zpsadd06dc3.jpg

Dear Aunt Linda.

Thank you for your patience while I took too long to finish my review. If you have questions, I’ll do my best to respond. If you ever have a chance to go to Alaska, GO!!!!

I was really enjoying your review! It looked like your balcony was port side. Would you recommend port over starboard as far as the scenery goes? There is nothing I enjoy more than breakfast on the balcony or a cocktail on the balcony before dinner!:)

We were on the port side on the northbound cruise. I would have preferred a starboard to see the shore during the inland passage day but, honestly, scenery was EVERYWHERE so I think you can't go wrong on which side you book. For most, if not all, the ports, our room faced the pier, which was nice for me to see the port because, after a while, one can only take SO much nature! :eek:

I, too, look forward to sailing with gambee's_mom and son, gambee! I can get some cruise review pointers (to actually finish a review)!

OMG... What great pictures and review, I am enjoying reading it.

I hope, one day we will be sailing with you and your family. :D

Thank you for a great review! Your family is gorgeous! A question if you are ale to answer - there was a photo with your sister and her gorgeous little one in royal babies and tots - was this space available for parents to bring their littles one in for a play, or do you have to leave the munchkins there? We are on radiance in December and my daughter will be 14months. I am hoping for a nice safe play space where she can run/crawl and play.

Thanks!

Carly

Thank you for a great review! Your family is gorgeous! A question if you are ale to answer - there was a photo with your sister and her gorgeous little one in royal babies and tots - was this space available for parents to bring their littles one in for a play, or do you have to leave the munchkins there? We are on radiance in December and my daughter will be 14months. I am hoping for a nice safe play space where she can run/crawl and play.

Thanks!

Carly

Hi - thanks for the compliments. I had to ask my sister about the play room and here's her response:

"Some hours were to drop off children to be cared for by staff for an hourly fee, usually evenings and some afternoons. More often in the mornings and afternoons the room was open for free play accompanied by a guardian and without staff present. Sign ups for the drop-offs for the whole cruise started at the nursery orientation on the first day, and could potentially fill up fast. The room hours for both circumstances were listed in the daily compass. I hope this helps!"

Woo Hoo! Thanks for finishing! We leave on the same trip in less than 6 months! Been busy planning our excursions and your review was wonderful!

Awesome. Have a great time. I know we did.

Thanks for the great review and pics. Love your family - especially Aunt Linda - what a sweetie!!! My hubby really wants to go on an Alaskan cruise. I'm a warm or hot weather kind of girl but I love the Alaskan scenery and I'm crazy about wildlife so this cruise is in our sights within the next 5 years. LOL about your boys appreciating the train ride - I have 17 and 22 year old sons and it's always a chore trying to keep them happy on vacation.

Thank You for the review! I have read your last few reviews and love them all. Makes me feel like I am there with ya.

I have cruised to Alaska in 2008. This summer I am looking into taking my DD who is 11. What ports and excursions did your sons like the best? Were they bored on the ship?

Thanks,

Tanya

Beautiful family BTW

Thanks for the great review and pics. Love your family - especially Aunt Linda - what a sweetie!!! My hubby really wants to go on an Alaskan cruise. I'm a warm or hot weather kind of girl but I love the Alaskan scenery and I'm crazy about wildlife so this cruise is in our sights within the next 5 years. LOL about your boys appreciating the train ride - I have 17 and 22 year old sons and it's always a chore trying to keep them happy on vacation.

Aunt Linda is definitely a sweetie - everyone who meets her thinks so, until they have to sleep in the same room with her (Lindsey). :eek: I've given up trying to entertain our boyz. I'm waiting for them to emerge from the teenage "dark ages" and, hopefully, they'll be more open to our vacations. Is your 22 year old emerging yet?

Thank You for the review! I have read your last few reviews and love them all. Makes me feel like I am there with ya.

I have cruised to Alaska in 2008. This summer I am looking into taking my DD who is 11. What ports and excursions did your sons like the best? Were they bored on the ship?

Thanks,

Tanya

Beautiful family BTW

Malik definitely was a fan of the White Pass and Yukon railroad excursion in Skagway - we booked the "Skagway Extravaganza" which included that. Both boyz also liked the rafting trip we booked in Seward after debarking the ship. That excursion was a bit outside the "normal" realm of crusing but it was a great experience that we all loved.

Cameron likes anytime he can watch TV or play video games so.... :rolleyes:

On this ship, they didn't really hang out with too many other kids - they prefer the teen clubs on Carnival to Royal so they mainly hung out in their cabin. Again, I was surprised they played mini golf with my sister. But they're happy sleeping or watching tv so they weren't "bored."

Edited by MisterMom

We also are cruising for the first time to Alaska in June. Were all of your excursions booked with the cruiseline?

Thanks for the great review!!!!!

Thank you for the compliment. I feel good I finally finished it.

We booked everything through the cruiseline EXCEPT

- Mendenhall Glacier bus tour (Juneau) - I don't recommend the Mendenhall (too touristy) but if you do want to do it, book through the cruise line or book ahead of time online. It was a bit of a hassle to get the tickets at the port but we did save $$$.

- Mt. Roberts Tramway (Juneau) - Lindsey and I did that on our own - no problems at all.

- Alaska River Company and Alaska Railroad (Seward) - booked on my own and had no problems; also rented a minivan to get us to the River Company outpost in Cooper's Landing

Hi - thanks for the compliments. I had to ask my sister about the play room and here's her response:

"Some hours were to drop off children to be cared for by staff for an hourly fee, usually evenings and some afternoons. More often in the mornings and afternoons the room was open for free play accompanied by a guardian and without staff present. Sign ups for the drop-offs for the whole cruise started at the nursery orientation on the first day, and could potentially fill up fast. The room hours for both circumstances were listed in the daily compass. I hope this helps!"

Awesome. Have a great time. I know we did.

Thanks so much for the reply! By the way I dot know how but an angry/sad face is in my subject line and I can't remove it - sorry!

Edited by charliegirlac
Attempt to remove angry/sad icon!

Great finish! It's really cold and wet here right now, and we're getting ready to go to the Caribbean Saturday morning--aaaahhhh, I'm so ready to go. Alaska is the last thing I'd want to do right this minute--but based on your review, I think I'm going to plan a trip for my husband sometime next year. It gets really hot & sticky here in the summer, and the older he gets, the less he likes the heat. I think this cruise would be perfect for him!

I couldn't help but ask...does the guy in this pic, whose head is sticking out of the car, know that there's a tunnel ahead??!

Ohh...after I posted, I saw that he's looking out the side, like you are. At first, it looked like he was poking his head up out of the car in front of yours! :p

DSC05405.jpg

Edited by Rocknsoul

Looks like Aunt Lindas safari to Alaska was a success for everyone. Nice review and pics. I don't think that singers claim to fame is Happy Days theme song you might want to google it. (Just don't tell Aunt Linda))

Sue

If my Google search is the same as you' date=' hmmmmm, amazing how one season can lay claim to being THE Happy Days Theme Song guy.... Anyway, Aunt Linda had some "buyer's remorse" after buying the CD - she wasn't a fan. :p

Great finish! It's really cold and wet here right now, and we're getting ready to go to the Caribbean Saturday morning--aaaahhhh, I'm so ready to go. Alaska is the last thing I'd want to do right this minute--but based on your review, I think I'm going to plan a trip for my husband sometime next year. It gets really hot & sticky here in the summer, and the older he gets, the less he likes the heat. I think this cruise would be perfect for him!

I couldn't help but ask...does the guy in this pic, whose head is sticking out of the car, know that there's a tunnel ahead??!

Ohh...after I posted, I saw that he's looking out the side, like you are. At first, it looked like he was poking his head up out of the car in front of yours! :p

Ha! Yes, a warm weather cruise would be nice this time of year but Alaska is definitely worth it in the warmer, stickier months.

The tunnels on the Alaskan Railroad are definitely pretty narrow so I'm glad that guy had the sense to pull his head in before.

Thank you for your patience while I took too long to finish my review. If you have questions, I’ll do my best to respond. If you ever have a chance to go to Alaska, GO!!!!

We are booked and going next August!!

I'm happy you had time to finish the review, thanks :)

• 2 months later...