Cruzan, Appleton or Bacardi?

Kangapong

I agree, why ruin good rum, 2 centuries of work for my beloved Bermuda Black Seal which Carnival has in the BV selection. My favorite thing I drink it with...ICE.

Though I will admit to having it with the breakfast areas guava juice in the A.M. :)

Go with the Cruzan, if you're mixing it with Coke Zero it really doesn't matter. I am a little shocked at the price though. I used to buy it at the Woolworth's in Sunny Isle shopping center on St. Croix for $1.79 a fifth. That and a liter of Coke and you were good to go.

ps

If you want a really good rum look for some Ron Matusalem Grand Reserva 18 yo. But don't you dare mix it with coke.

Edited by wscott52

Although our favorite here at home is Cruzan Dark (aged) rum, we ordered Appleton Estate on the Dream last year. Unless they (BV) have a different version now, it was a non-spiced dark rum with a little bite, but good nonetheless.

We have never tried Cruzan light, but I am sure you can't go wrong with it for the mixed fruity type or sweet drinks.

Funny thing, when we asked for dark rum on the Oasis last year, they had to search for a dark rum. It turned out to be Appleton's, and I think we ran them completely out during the cruise, as each bartender would go in the back and find out which bar had any left....:)

Bacardi has a plant here in Jax, so we get that once in while when they have a sale, but we think Bacardi has a little more bite than Appleton's.

Cruzan Dark is a very smooth aged rum, and unless you find an Extra Aged (8-10yrs) version of Mount Gay or other Caribbean rum, you can't beat it with club soda or Ginger ale, or straight up occasionally!

Gone are they days of Cheap Caribbean Rum. Back in the early 80's, I could get Cruzan for $2 a liter in St. Thomas.... nowadays, it costs almost the same as Bacardi or other better known name brand rums, both here and on the islands.

jw:cool:

General rum comment. Look for Barbancourt 5 star in the ports, it's

Barbancourt 5 Star is great rum. It was my first introduction to high end rums on a trip to Haiti 40 years ago. The 3 Star is good for mixing.

Looks like you have your plans for Saturday night!

Stop by Total Wine (or something similar...) pick up one mini bottle (the airplane size) of each one, and some Coke Zero, and have yourself a taste test!

:D

I never thought about doing this. What a great idea! Thank you! :)

• 3 years later...
I prefer VX but its a spiced rum so it makes for a sweeter drink when mixed with soda. The DW hates it...

Appleton Estates V/X, with a recent name change to Signature Blend, is not a "spiced rum." It's just really great mid-priced rum, far better than OP's other options.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I'm preparing to place my Bon Voyage liquor order and need help deciding which Rum to buy. I will be mixing it with Coke Zero and occasionally coffee.

Which would you choose? Cruzan Light ($50), Appleton White ($60), Appleton Estate V/X ($60) or Bacardi Superior ($60) or ??

Thank you! :)

I'm partial to Appleton! I've tasted Cruzan and not a fan. I drank the bat (Bacardi) in college so....................Appleton would be my choice!!!