Live blog from Westerdam's 30 night Hawaii and French Polynesia cruise

Bescotti

We should be able to go ashore shortly as we docked about 20 minutes ago. At present I'm sitting on my balcony enjoying free wifi:D

So far I'm thoroughly enjoying it, loving the sea days, and when my numbers come up in the lottery I can see myself doing a world cruise and keeping myself entertained on it! And before you laugh about my optimism about the lottery, twice the day before I have had to make final payment on HAL cruises I have won enough on Powerball (an Australian lottery system) that I have been able to pay off the cruise and have some left over!

Bev

You go, girl!!!!!

Free wifi, on the balcony of a cruise ship, docked at a Hawaiian Island?

Lovely. And a positive attitude is a self fulfilling prophecy. IMO

Amy

Don't know how I missed this thread, but I just discovered your blog this morning. Thank you for sharing your experiences and photos with us, I'm really enjoying it. This cruise is my dream cruise, so I'm living vicariously through you. :)

I don't know if it has been mentioned anywhere else on these boards but there was a medical emergency on the Westerdam on Tuesday so instead of heading towards Raratonga, we had to detour to Christmas Island. Unfortunately the evaculation transport which was due to arrive at daybreak did not show so another plane had to be organised from Honolulu. This meant that we spent the entire day just sitting off the shoreline until we departed in the evening. HAL tried to see if we could go ashore and although we could use the tenders, there was nowhere for the tenders to land.

With missing Raratonga, we are now heading straight to Raiatea, arriving a day earlier and then spending 2 overnights in Papeete. This has caused our CC tour organisers to have to reschedule tours etc. Poor Sherrie has got 94 passengers booked across 4 of Patrick's tours in Bora Bora but she has reorganised things and still looks remarkedly calm.

This emergency was outside anyone's control and as Jason, the CD said, preservation of life was the Captain's main priority. It was then Seattle's decision to change the dates and ports of call. Unfortunately, not all guests are so understanding and I've seen some heated exchanges on board and others swearing off HAL for life! Maybe too many sea days are giving some passengers cabin fever.

For myself, there's nothing I can do about it so I'm enjoying myself - especially the red wine and dark chocolate talk (with free samples!) and sunsets on my balcony.

Bev

I went to the coffee morning talk with Ron, the Hotel Director (no longer called Hotel Manager) the other day and he explained that as each HAL ship goes into drydock they are now being rewired so that internet and phone access is available from anywhere on the ship, including all cabins. Bandwidth is also being upgraded.

Unfortunately the Westerdam missed out on this at the last drydock so will have to wait 14 months until the next drydock to have this upgrade.

I also heard (could be Chinese whispers) that a fix was applied in San Diego before the cruise left but didn't work out - and is thus worse than would normally be experienced.

If someone wasn't uploading photos (even those resized to be very small) they probably wouldn't notice the issues so much.

So unless there is free internet in port in Tahiti, I'll still post regularly to the blog but won't be able to post photos until I get to a more reliable connection with greater bandwidth - then lots of photos will suddenly be going up.

To all those who have commented, many thanks and I'm glad you are enjoying following my travels.

Bev

I went to the coffee morning talk with Ron, the Hotel Director (no longer called Hotel Manager) the other day and he explained that as each HAL ship goes into drydock they are now being rewired so that internet and phone access is available from anywhere on the ship, including all cabins. Bandwidth is also being upgraded.

Unfortunately the Westerdam missed out on this at the last drydock so will have to wait 14 months until the next drydock to have this upgrade.

I also heard (could be Chinese whispers) that a fix was applied in San Diego before the cruise left but didn't work out - and is thus worse than would normally be experienced.

If someone wasn't uploading photos (even those resized to be very small) they probably wouldn't notice the issues so much.

So unless there is free internet in port in Tahiti, I'll still post regularly to the blog but won't be able to post photos until I get to a more reliable connection with greater bandwidth - then lots of photos will suddenly be going up.

To all those who have commented, many thanks and I'm glad you are enjoying following my travels.

Bev

Thank you about the Internet service.

AH -- now Hotel Director.

Why the new title?

I don't know if it has been mentioned anywhere else on these boards but there was a medical emergency on the Westerdam on Tuesday so instead of heading towards Raratonga, we had to detour to Christmas Island. Unfortunately the evaculation transport which was due to arrive at daybreak did not show so another plane had to be organised from Honolulu. This meant that we spent the entire day just sitting off the shoreline until we departed in the evening. HAL tried to see if we could go ashore and although we could use the tenders, there was nowhere for the tenders to land.

With missing Raratonga, we are now heading straight to Raiatea, arriving a day earlier and then spending 2 overnights in Papeete. This has caused our CC tour organisers to have to reschedule tours etc. Poor Sherrie has got 94 passengers booked across 4 of Patrick's tours in Bora Bora but she has reorganised things and still looks remarkedly calm.

This emergency was outside anyone's control and as Jason, the CD said, preservation of life was the Captain's main priority. It was then Seattle's decision to change the dates and ports of call. Unfortunately, not all guests are so understanding and I've seen some heated exchanges on board and others swearing off HAL for life! Maybe too many sea days are giving some passengers cabin fever.

For myself, there's nothing I can do about it so I'm enjoying myself - especially the red wine and dark chocolate talk (with free samples!) and sunsets on my balcony.

Bev

Sorry to hear about your emergency medical evacuation and the itinerary having to be changed.

That happens some times.

Hope the ill person is all right.

Bev:

I have been following your blog and enjoying it very much. I can see you are having a great time! Hope at some point to see more pics but understand about the internet.

If possible can you tell me what the charge is for Canaletto?

We are so looking forward to our first HAL cruise on Westerdam in December. Keep her warm for us!:)

I found out yesterday that when the plane didn't arrive from Papeete to transfer the sick passenger to better medical facilites than either the Westerdam or Kiribati, the US Coast Guard was called upon and they arranged for a Hercules to fly to Christmas Island to pick up the passenger, and last we heard he was safely in a Honolulu hospital.

Mollyanne, The Canaletto is $10. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Westerdam as I've decided it's now my favourite HAL ship. I've sailed on S & R class ships, the Zuderdam, and the previous Westerdam and Noordam vessels, but I must say I like this one best.

Krazy Kruisers, I'm not sure why the title was changed from Hotel Manager to Hotel Diretor - Ron didn't really clarify but maybe the HMs didn't like the nickname of HotMan:D.

We're still enjoying sunny days and balmy eveings and have just left Raiatea. This is the first time I have ever left one port and can see the next port in the distance. Bora Bora is waiting - and so is Patrick - and I only hope that I will be able to start uploading photos again soon.

Bev

Bev

Bev. it is always so sad to hear people complaining when they miss a stop because of a medical emergency. It's always disappointing to miss a port but it happens and the captain and you are right - preservation of life is paramount:D I hope those grumbling passengers calm down and remember 'there but for the grace of God go I'.

Love your attitude. Enjoy that red wine and balcony:D

I found out yesterday that when the plane didn't arrive from Papeete to transfer the sick passenger to better medical facilites than either the Westerdam or Kiribati, the US Coast Guard was called upon and they arranged for a Hercules to fly to Christmas Island to pick up the passenger, and last we heard he was safely in a Honolulu hospital.

Mollyanne, The Canaletto is $10. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Westerdam as I've decided it's now my favourite HAL ship. I've sailed on S & R class ships, the Zuderdam, and the previous Westerdam and Noordam vessels, but I must say I like this one best.

Krazy Kruisers, I'm not sure why the title was changed from Hotel Manager to Hotel Diretor - Ron didn't really clarify but maybe the HMs didn't like the nickname of HotMan:D.

We're still enjoying sunny days and balmy eveings and have just left Raiatea. This is the first time I have ever left one port and can see the next port in the distance. Bora Bora is waiting - and so is Patrick - and I only hope that I will be able to start uploading photos again soon.

Bev

Thank you Bev for the updates.

Glad to know that the passenger is in a Honolulu hospital.

I thought of that -- hotel managers can't be called hotman anymore.

I read on another thread that other titles are also being changed. First Officer is now the Chief fficer.

Thank you so much for this blog. What a fanatastic cruise.

I understand that missing a port on a possibly "once in a lifetime" cruise would be very disappointing but I wonder if the grumblers would feel differently if it were their life that was at risk. I would be embarrassed to complain about the inconvenience when someone's life was saved. So nice to hear the Coast Guard came to the rescue!!!

I hope you find Bora Bora to be as magical as it's pictures!!! Cherie

where in Hawaii did you buy your snorkel equipment, that is a better idea than carrying it from North Carolina....

I bought my mask and snorkel then fins (not a combined set) at Walmart and as a past Scuba diver I was picky as to what I wanted. Walmart had a very good selection and my choices proved excellent yesterday and today in Tahiti. Those who had to use the excursion operators' gear tended to get basic and sometimes ill-fitting gear so definitely take your own. One gentleman yesterday had to wear socks with his fins so that they would fit.

Walmart provided free shuttles to and from the ship in both Honolulu and Hilo.

Hi Bev,

I'm enjoying your blog and wishing I was on board with you. Drink the wine and enjoy the chocolates for me! Glad you treated yourself to a balcony.

Debbie

PS: I hope this voyage doesn't run out of fruit and veggies!

What is the weather like there during the day? --- Is it hot & humid? Am mostly concerned about the humidity...

Carol

Hi Carol, I found Lahaina, Honolulu and Fanning Island to be the hottest and most humid of the ports so far, but not unbearable. French Polynesia has been very pleasant, although hot there has usually been a breeze. Not as hot as San Diego before I sailed!

Although there have been a couple of downpours on two afternoons onshore I wasn't caught out in them as I had arranged morning excursions and by the time it rained I was recovering for my morning exertions th a little nap:D

I know it would have been reported elsewhere on these boards, but we heard from Captain PJ, via Jason (the CD) that HAL will have a new class of ship, the Pinnacle class, launched in the fall of 2015. It will take 2,600 passengers - but there is no plans to have it replace one of the current smaller ships in the fleet.

Bev

Good morning Westerdam sessions are always interesting and this morning Jason interviewed the Staff Captain. Until two weeks ago this title was Chief Officer but like Hotel Manager it has very recently been changed. And we finally found out why - the titles have been changed to bring them in line with titles across the rest of the Carnival fleet.

Another interesting fact which came out of this morning's interview is that in the past the only way to be aware of someone going overboard was via a witness or someone missing on the ship. The Westerdam is now the first ship to be trialling an automatic man overboard warning system which entails cameras with motion detectors which will pick up when someone goes over. Apparently they have had to ensure that birds won't set off the sensors.

This cruise there are so many Mariners that the Mariners' Brunch is held over 3 consecutive days. Today was for the high hitters with one couple having over 1400 days. I have my turn as a 3 star Mariner tomorrow and having just recently received my copper medallion get to go to a reception before the brunch. This will mean, though, that I miss out on trivia:D.

Starting to go into a decline at the thought of them dragging me screaming and kicking from the ship in a few days!

Bev

Good morning Westerdam sessions are always interesting and this morning Jason interviewed the Staff Captain. Until two weeks ago this title was Chief Officer but like Hotel Manager it has very recently been changed. And we finally found out why - the titles have been changed to bring them in line with titles across the rest of the Carnival fleet.

Another interesting fact which came out of this morning's interview is that in the past the only way to be aware of someone going overboard was via a witness or someone missing on the ship. The Westerdam is now the first ship to be trialling an automatic man overboard warning system which entails cameras with motion detectors which will pick up when someone goes over. Apparently they have had to ensure that birds won't set off the sensors.

This cruise there are so many Mariners that the Mariners' Brunch is held over 3 consecutive days. Today was for the high hitters with one couple having over 1400 days. I have my turn as a 3 star Mariner tomorrow and having just recently received my copper medallion get to go to a reception before the brunch. This will mean, though, that I miss out on trivia:D.

Starting to go into a decline at the thought of them dragging me screaming and kicking from the ship in a few days!

Bev

Thank you for all this information.

Archived