LIVE from the Vision of the Seas Sailing 5 Oct 2012

Several have commented that there are not many activities in the Compass.

Don't forget that most of the passengers are old, we take a lot of naps and read books.

For a younger or family crowd they will probably have more things to do.

These folks definitely had a bad day yesterday.

If you look close, you can see a container wedged fast into the hold at an angle.

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

This is a "Big Deal" because loading has stopped and the ship's departure is delayed. It is costing someone a lot of money.

There were "gangs" of people all over it pointing and trying to figure our how to un jam it. I wish we could have stayed to see what they did.

The cables on the crane are sized for the maximum weight of a container plus a "safety factor" of probably 20-30%. The crane can't lift it out because the force needed will exceed the capability of the cable.

I am experienced with ship loading and the only solutions I can see both cost a lot of money. I suspect they are looking for a cheap solution but in the end will spend a lot of money to resolve.

- The first and easiest option if to cut is apart with cutting torches. Either the guides in the ship where it is jammed or the container itself.

- The second option is to bring in some portable hydralic power and hydraulic pistons and put them in place below it and use "brute force" to push it up.

It is a shame that we will never know what they did.

All of the options are dangerous!

An "Official" Trainman MDR Tip...

If you ask your water nicely she will being you a fruit and a cheese plate every night when you arrive in the MDR.

IMG_0379-1.jpg

IMG_0378-1.jpg

Our Waitress brings two of each because ther eare 10 of us at the table. :)

Another "Official" Trainman MDR Tip

If you ask nicely your water will do what ever they can to please you.

We all like shrimp cocktails so I asked if we could have them every night. Last night was the first night since I asked and we all had them.

IMG_0380.jpg

The Head Waiter came by and talked with us and we asked him again for Shrimp Cocktails every night and he said "OK"

We will be boarding the ship in "North Port" tomorrow. We have never been there before so it will be a new experience for us.

PortEverglades.jpg

Its amazing with 200 days left to go a simple map of Port Everglades makes me happy, I was visualizing my drive up to terminal 18.

Thanks for all of the complements and kind words everyone!

Doing live reports is what I enjoy doing on a cruise. I enjoy it much more whan swinging through trees on cables like Tarzan. I will leave the action excursions to the younger crowd.

I have a long list of questions to get answered.

Time to quit and take some coffee down to Judith. It is getting light and we are approaching the Canal, Ships are anchored all around us.

More later...

Ah, yes . . . an evening sail away. We once sailed out of Miami at 10:30 p.m. (itinerary change due to hurricane damage) and it was absolutely beautiful to see the lights of Miami (or Ft. Lauderdale) as we stood at the rail.

I would give anything to do that one over.

We did the same on Voyager back in 06, we were delayed because of storms in the midwest made a dozen incoming flights late. Even the locals stopped on the road to watch the lit up ships leave. It reminded me of an old love boat sailing with hundreds of shore people lined up to wave back.

Pictures are great and I am glad you are enjoying your cruise.

That parmesan crusted turkey looks delicious, one of my favorites. Could eat that now and it is only 7am.:p

Have a great day today. I will check in later as I will be away this morning. Can't wait to see your pictures of the Panama Canal. Wish I could watch it on the webcam.:(

Thanks again for taking the time to do this.

Gwen :)

I had a brief conversation with the Captain tonight and he confirmed yesterday's rumor.

We delayed sailing yesterday because some of the deliveries were late and the ship had to wait for them.

How many people you have never met have come up and said, "Hey Trainman!" so far?

Another "Official" Trainman MDR Tip

If you ask nicely your water will do what ever they can to please you.

We all like shrimp cocktails so I asked if we could have them every night. Last night was the first night since I asked and we all had them.

IMG_0380.jpg

The Head Waiter came by and talked with us and we asked him again for Shrimp Cocktails every night and he said "OK"

This is exactly why my partner and I keep coming back to Royal Caribbean International again and again. Outstanding service and stellar cuisine!!! Just ask and you will receive. This is consistent across the fleet.

Edited by wallypbear

Doing live reports is what I enjoy doing on a cruise. I enjoy it much more whan swinging through trees on cables like Tarzan. I will leave the action excursions to the younger crowd.

Did you mean to say you love live reports more than swinging through trees, or you love live reports when swinging through trees? :D