Booking agent`s advice........immoral?

kevinyork

Hello again Can Granny ,

Well we will have to agree to dis agree as ive just re read your post and what i re-posted in red is exactly what you put word for word.

I fear you are trying to back step but never mind.

I think the problem is you seem to think that every agent always gave 10% discount.... they did not. Therefore now there is a change and it is a big one. I have been on the other side of the desk, i do know how it all works and as i have tried to explain your 10% discount may not always have been as much of a good deal as you had presumed im afraid. It would not always have been given by the agent , you seem to think that the agents should be more than happy with just 5% comm all the time ( ive just re-read your post to double check on this) so after deductions they possibly earn half that in most cases . Unfortunately now the new commission structure is in place that is all they can get, in the past they always tried to retain as much of the 15% as they could. I think its just that as i have done the job its difficult to listen to someone putting what you have put especially the part about them creaming off the top etc... and you have certainly insinuated that they should be more than happy with 5% .

You have completely missed the important point of what i put and seem to be saying now that you didnt say what you actually did say.

All getting a bit daft, and i didnt shout, im writing not talking, just wanted to make my point clear as i didnt think you had understood.

Life is too short to fall out and get stroppy, :) i was trying to put the agents point across as i felt you had been unfair on them. I think if you re-read all my posts on this and yours you will see i have definitely not mis quoted you or mis understood your point. ;);)

To everyone, sorry for my long and drawn out reply.:(

Hello again Can Granny ,

Well we will have to agree to dis agree as ive just re read your post and what i re-posted in red is exactly what you put word for word.

I fear you are trying to back step but never mind.

I think the problem is you seem to think that every agent always gave 10% discount.... they did not. Therefore now there is a change and it is a big one. I have been on the other side of the desk, i do know how it all works and as i have tried to explain your 10% discount may not always have been as much of a good deal as you had presumed im afraid. It would not always have been given by the agent , you seem to think that the agents should be more than happy with just 5% comm all the time ( ive just re-read your post to double check on this) so after deductions they possibly earn half that in most cases . Unfortunately now the new commission structure is in place that is all they can get, in the past they always tried to retain as much of the 15% as they could. I think its just that as i have done the job its difficult to listen to someone putting what you have put especially the part about them creaming off the top etc... and you have certainly insinuated that they should be more than happy with 5% .

You have completely missed the important point of what i put and seem to be saying now that you didnt say what you actually did say.

All getting a bit daft, and i didnt shout, im writing not talking, just wanted to make my point clear as i didnt think you had understood.

Life is too short to fall out and get stroppy, :) i was trying to put the agents point across as i felt you had been unfair on them. I think if you re-read all my posts on this and yours you will see i have definitely not mis quoted you or mis understood your point. ;);)

To everyone, sorry for my long and drawn out reply.:(

Before you make a fool of yourself further go and look at my post number 17.

You will see I have gone back on nothing. What you posted was only half of my post quite selective.

I stand by everything I have said and I have changed nothing.

But I agree life's too short. I know that I never cruised without my 10% off so happy days:) I also know that cruising is far cheaper now than when I started and in that respect the TA's will be hurting as even at 5% they are getting less in real terms than in 2001. Of course there are more cruisers so more volume.

Gan Canny

Dai

Not very nice really to put i am making a fool of myself. :eek:

I did quote you word for word but life is too short and i didnt mean to personally insult or upset you as i feel you have done to me.:(

However you are correct, not as much profit for the TA's, that was my point, no offence was meant at all.

I was just explaining the way the commission structure works and also trying to explain that nothing is ever as it seems with a discount.

Happy cruising, lets just agree to dis agree :)

Not very nice really to put i am making a fool of myself. :eek:

I did quote you word for word but life is too short and i didnt mean to personally insult or upset you as i feel you have done to me.:(

However you are correct, not as much profit for the TA's, that was my point, no offence was meant at all.

I was just explaining the way the commission structure works and also trying to explain that nothing is ever as it seems with a discount.

Happy cruising, lets just agree to dis agree :)

I was trying to stop you making a fool of yourself:rolleyes: read it carefully:rolleyes:

I cannot decide if I agree or disagree with you about agreeing to disagree. I think that is fairly clear.

Gan Canny

Dai

Just for clarity the below is a copy of my post 17

"Yes, we'll, in the past agents got 15% and the good ones passed on 10% to the customer. Leaving them with 5%. Now they get 5%. So for the majority of TA's no change.

Big complaints from the TA's,.... Why should that be when they are getting the same as before unless some TA's did not pass on that 10%. The only TA's who would complain would be those who were not giving the customer a good deal and creaming off more for themselves."

My first para is the one in dispute and only the second half was quoted and by itself tells a different story.

It has taken me this long how to cut and paste on my iPad which I am using:rolleyes: ....it's new.

Gan Canny

Dai

Hello again, well we can keep going back and forth can't we. The agents who are complaining are all of them. At least the majority anyway not just the ones who didn't as you feel give a good enough deal before etc etc... Had they all given huge disc willy nilly there would be no travel agents, they really are not a charity and are not greedy when they try to make a profit . They do need a profit or they can't carry on , that's life I'm afraid .

:):)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Workers everywhere should be paid a decent wage and not have to rely on tips. I see a tip as a reward for good or exceptional service, not as a way of supplementing someone's income, when they may still provide poor service.

In the Uk, if I receive excellent service from restaurant staff, Then I'll leave a good tip. If the service is poor, then I'll leave nothing, after all they should be getting paid at least the minimum wage.

Onboard ship, I've always paid whatever was suggested and some extra where I felt the service was excellent, but the whole thing is a con by cruise companies who are trying to make us feel guilty enough to pay the wages of their staff.

It's wrong of agents to suggest not tipping as a way of reducing the cost of a cruise, but It's equally wrong of the cruise company to automatically add tips to our bills. WE are the customers and we alone should decide whether our cabin steward / wine waiter / table waiters etc have provided a service good enough to be rewarded. We shouldn't tip out of pity.

Why don't the cruise lines just add a bit more to their cruise prices and pay their staff a decent wage (it's going to cost us anyway), then leave it up to us, the customers to decide if we are going to reward the staff who deserve rewarding?

Workers everywhere should be paid a decent wage and not have to rely on tips. I see a tip as a reward for good or exceptional service, not as a way of supplementing someone's income, when they may still provide poor service.

In the Uk, if I receive excellent service from restaurant staff, Then I'll leave a good tip. If the service is poor, then I'll leave nothing, after all they should be getting paid at least the minimum wage.

Onboard ship, I've always paid whatever was suggested and some extra where I felt the service was excellent, but the whole thing is a con by cruise companies who are trying to make us feel guilty enough to pay the wages of their staff.

It's wrong of agents to suggest not tipping as a way of reducing the cost of a cruise, but It's equally wrong of the cruise company to automatically add tips to our bills. WE are the customers and we alone should decide whether our cabin steward / wine waiter / table waiters etc have provided a service good enough to be rewarded. We shouldn't tip out of pity.

Why don't the cruise lines just add a bit more to their cruise prices and pay their staff a decent wage (it's going to cost us anyway), then leave it up to us, the customers to decide if we are going to reward the staff who deserve rewarding?

BR,

Never work, far to simple and logical:)

Gan Canny

Dai

It seems the travel agents don't have a choice whether they sell P&O cruises or not!

I booked a cruise for next year on Arcadia aboard Ventura earlier this year. After the paperwork was complete the future cruises advisor told me the paperwork would be sent to my TA, a Thomson shop, and they would handle it. So P&O just gave them the 5% commission for doing no work?

confused :confused:

It seems the travel agents don't have a choice whether they sell P&O cruises or not!

I booked a cruise for next year on Arcadia aboard Ventura earlier this year. After the paperwork was complete the future cruises advisor told me the paperwork would be sent to my TA, a Thomson shop, and they would handle it. So P&O just gave them the 5% commission for doing no work?

confused :confused:

Hi, yes this is always a bonus, when I was a ta we liked it when these dropped in our laps but you can still opt to deal direct with p&o, they just let you pass it to your ta as a courtesy as most people still like the comfort of having a ta.

Just like car dealerships the travel agents will get kickbacks when reaching targets for number of cruises sold.

Sorry not true in all cases, the huge firms may sometimes from some cruise companies but not always, the smaller concerns do not normally as any targets would be way too high to achieve . Any deal like that would be negotiated yearly but the days are long gone of this type of bonus to ta's really.

Archived