Review of our 15 Night Connoisseur Cruise Tour Sapphire Princess September 7-22, 2012

Cliftoncruz

My wife and I recently returned from our first Alaskan cruisetour and our first cruise on Princess. Just a little background on us, we have over 250 sea days on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. We are not cheerleaders for any of these cruise lines.

When we were researching our Alaskan cruise we were a time a little overwhelmed with the information about what cruise line and what tours to do. Talking to people we know that have gone to Alaska, they overwhelming recommended Princess to Alaska. The recommendations were based upon the Princess Lodges, the tours and Princess’s reputation.

We were very pleased with Princess and at times a little disappointed. Actually, in March 2011 when we booked the cruise Royal Caribbean helped us to decide to use Princess (that is a whole different story-Customer Service).

We picked the 15 Night Connoisseur Cruise Tour Sapphire Princess 5 Sept – 22 Sept 2012. I highly recommend this land tour, having a tour guide with you every step of the way telling you about the local history, and taking care of all the arrangements made the tour thoroughly enjoyable. The food voucher system was great, you could decide whatever you wanted for your meals, cost was not a concern.

Our tour started 7 Sept at the Fairbanks Lodge. However, we arrived on 5 Sept and spent a few days exploring Fairbanks on our own.

Enough on my opinion here are some photographs;

Fairbanks Princess Lodge.

FairbanksPrincessLodgeEntrance.jpg

FairbanksPrincessLodge.jpg

WelcometoFairbanks.jpg

Our room

DSC_0162.jpg

The Chena River

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

More to come, tours in Fairbanks.

The Fairbanks Princess Lodge was very nice, friendly staff, clean, accommodating, and close to everything. The Lodge provides a shuttle for a fee ($5.00) to several locations in Fairbanks. One of these locations is the Morris Thompson Visitors Center,

MorrisThompson.jpg

MorrisThompsonVisitorCenter.jpg

Outside of the center is very interesting arch.

AntlerArch.jpg

AntlerArchEastView.jpg

AStepBackinTimeInfo.jpg

AStepBackinTimeCabin.jpg

The first event for this tour was a group breakfast 8 Sept where we met all our fellow group members and our tour guide. There was 33 of us in the group from all over, Australia, Great Britain, New York, Wisconsin, California, Arizona, Canada and so on. Our tour Guide Jason Rivers was outstanding. he managed everyone of the tours needs and arrangements, and I can not forget Max the coach driver-great job getting us every where. I would say this tour was the highlight of the entire 15 days.

Our first included tour is the Discovery River Boat,

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0150.jpg

There was several shows on the way, one was a bush pilot showing off his skills,

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

One other show was the Susan Butcher Training Center,

DSC_0103.jpg

The second tour was the Goldstream Dredge #8,

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

After these tours we headed back to Fairbanks Princess for our dinner that was being hosted by the Food and Beverage Manager of the Lodge. The dinner, included wine paired to all the courses, if I remember correctly there was 5 courses-based upon 5 different wines and a sparkling wine toast. The dessert course was Banana Fosters prepared table side by the Chef.

When we started dinner everyone was rather quite talking to the person sitting next to them. Well that all changed by the end of dinner. You could say we were all loud and boisterous. It was a short evening since we had to leave in the morning for Denali.

If I could offer one suggestion about the cruisetours do the land portion first. On this tour we were up most days before 5:30 AM, we needed the luggage traveling with us out by 6:30 AM. You are on the move everyday and living out of your suitcase.

Our next trip was the train ride to Denali. The Alaskan Railroad provides the engine, and each cruise line owns their own cars. As you know the cars that Princess has uses table sitting, except for this tour. We had a Holland American car with forward facing seating. The ride was a little over 4 hours but enjoyable. Several times I mesmerized by the scenery I forgot to take pictures. One thing I found about Alaska you can never take enough pictures and none of the pictures does justice to Alaska.

The train ride,

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

When we arrived at Denali we were assigned to Building 10, which is at the eastern end up the hill from the main campus, not far but a little walk. For those who want to do last minute shopping there is strip mall across the main road-no photos. DW spent a lot of time there.

There was Wi-Fi in the main building between Building 10 and 11. Denali Wilderness Lodge has many out buildings, restaurant, and lounge are in one building. The Song of Denali Theater is in another and there are multiple gifts shops selling different items, from high end furs and so on. There is a main Guest Lodge where the buses for the Denali Tour, tour coaches and transportation to Railroad are boarded.

Our Room,

DSC_0269.jpg

DSC_0268.jpg

View from the room,

DSC_0477.jpg

Denali Campus

DSC_0481.jpg

DSC_0480.jpg

More to come!

If I could offer one suggestion is after you arrive at the Denali Lodge, take the Park Bus or the Princess Shuttle to the Denali Visitor Center and spend several hours talking to the Park Rangers and looking at the exhibits-well worth your time.

Dinner at the Wilderness Lodge was great- Jason took care of the reservations (Remember food vouchers price in not an option). We had dinner with Collen and Barry from California-great couple. Another early night up early 6:00 AM for the Tundra Wilderness Tour.

We get up and have a buffet breakfast at the Sound of Denali Theater-not bad, in fact pretty good (reindeer sausage, not bad.)

Here is a little Alaska trivia, What is the difference between a Caribou and a Reindeer?

A Reindeer is a domesticated Caribou and ?????????????????????

Reindeer Fly!!!!!!

As we were getting ready to board our National Parks Bus for the Wilderness Tour we were advised it was delayed because the Park Service was plowing the road-a lot of snow. The Tour was delayed about 1.5 hours.

Next suggestion do at least the Tundra Wilderness Tour (TWT) is goes at least 60 or more miles into the Park- as I post photos you will see why.

TWT

DSC_0316.jpg

DSC_0472.jpg

DSC_0440.jpg

DSC_0342.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

This is the bridge that prevents private passenger vehicles from going any deeper into the Park without a special permit.

DSC_0296.jpg

Here is the real reason to see Denali and to take the TWT,

DSC_0394.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0376.jpg

DSC_0384.jpg

DSC_0378.jpg

This is Mt. McKinley. Only 30% of travelers to Alaska see any part of Mt. McKinley. We saw the entire Mt. McKinley almost the entire day. We were about 80 to 100 miles from the base. These photos show the north slope, south slope and the glacier-this was the biggest highlight of the entire trip!!!!

So after we get back from Denali National Park we need to get ready for dinner. We are having dinner at the Song of Denali Theater, and being entertained by song and dance. I have read on these boards that the show is hokey. Well here it is the food is good, the waiters are entertaining and the actors in the show.

The show is fun, I LMAO for over 2 hours, it was a great funny, entertaining show. It is not a Broadway Show, it is not a musical, it is just plain fun. In fact the audience loved the show so much we even started adding lines to the show. So much the actors just broke down laughing. They even stated that this interaction doesn't happen much. It was just a lot of fun. If you are staying at Denali see it!!!

Off to bed early, pack the bags they need to be outside the room door by 6:00 AM. We need to board a coach at 8:00 am for a 9.5 ride to Copper River. We are traveling on the Denali Highway.

Denali Highway,

DSC_0482.jpg

DSC_0489.jpg

DSC_0483.jpg

DSC_0550.jpg

DSC_0546.jpg

DSC_0532.jpg

More to come!

After the coach ride we arrived at the Copper River Wilderness Lodge. The views from this Lodge are stupendous (Mt. Drum, Mt. Zanetti, Mt. Wrangell and Mt. Blackburn),

The Copper River Lodge is the only Lodge that has a remembrance service every evening for those who served in the Military (US or foreign). All service members, active, retired or veteran were given a small American Flag pin that lite up so all would know they served. The ceremony we had was special. Ours was on September11 th. The Lodge Manager went out of his way to honor all. All veterans and family were invited up front and given an American Flag., truly a moving ceremony!

Copper River

DSC_0641.jpg

DSC_0630.jpg

DSC_0627.jpg

DSC_0637.jpg

DSC_0626.jpg

DSC_0622.jpg

DSC_0620.jpg

Archived