Silly question for the day........does princess have different menus during holidays?

AmberTeka

We have sailed a good bit but NEVER on a New Year's Eve cruise. We have sailed the week before Christmas..but never over Christmas.

This year..we will sail on a New Year's Cruise with Princess......and is New Year's Eve a formal night?

I am sure they do something to mark the beginning of the year, and being Princess, I am sure they do it well............what do they do? Dance? Party? Free Champagne? ( my choice)

Is New Year's Day menu a different one? Do they work in some of the old customs...the greens for money..the black eyed peas for luck...the hog jowl for success? Or some of it?

And on New Year's Day....do they show the college bowl games on the big screen? Does the Princess Caribbean have a sports bar? Is it totally like the Crown Princess?

Thanks for any information you can throw my way. Sailing away for Aruba for New Year's...it sounds like a song Jimmy Buffet would sing!!

I've sailed on Thanksgiving and they had a turkey dinner on the menu. They had a lot of Thanksgiving food displays. I've never done a New Year's cruise, but I would guess they have have the Atrium party with the Champagne waterfall that night. Just a guess, though.

In 2009 we embarked Coral Princess on Easter Sunday. Had traditional Easter dinner with all the trimmings. All of us at the table wondered how they could do such an elaborate menu on sailaway day--guessing they had the same menu the night before on Easter Saturday and carried it forward. But two years later on Star Princess over Easter, Sunday was formal night and we just had the normal first formal night menu. Both ships were well decorated for the holiday.

And last year I was on Cunard's Queen Victoria over Thanksgiving--and just like texanslovetravel said above, they sure did have lobster night that night expecting all the Americans onboard to order the turkey instead. Though no one at my table did, met a few people later in the cruise who ordered both!

Usually NYE will be a formal evening and there will likely be a special menu either that evening or on New Year's Day. Lastc time we were on a NYE, the special menu was that night.

On NYE there will be a deck party, a party in the atrium and a balloon drop in the atrium.

Yes, college bowl games will usually end up on MUTS.

Caribbean Princess is similar to the Crown with the major differences being the Crown has Sabatini's in a different location and has the Adagio Bar which the Caribbean does not. Also the International Cafe on the Caribbean does not have the gelato case.

1159112007_09912_31.04NewYearsdisplayoutsidediningroomPc310917.jpg.22cd588c93bc6507dbc562bc62896f9c.jpg

756526019_10212_31.04AtriumballoonsformidnightdropPc310921.jpg.bf5c65fe36690126bd6f226310a749cf.jpg

959797275_1061_01.05HappyNewYearP1010942.jpg.46f359b1cd267370f2099a83ec620868.jpg

2112148813_1071_01.05NeptunesReefPoolareaaftermidnightP1010943.jpg.9a5a25518ac3a6e08631eccb6fc977d4.jpg

We have sailed a good bit but NEVER on a New Year's Eve cruise. We have sailed the week before Christmas..but never over Christmas.

This year..we will sail on a New Year's Cruise with Princess......and is New Year's Eve a formal night?

I am sure they do something to mark the beginning of the year, and being Princess, I am sure they do it well............what do they do? Dance? Party? Free Champagne? ( my choice)

Is New Year's Day menu a different one? Do they work in some of the old customs...the greens for money..the black eyed peas for luck...the hog jowl for success? Or some of it?

And on New Year's Day....do they show the college bowl games on the big screen? Does the Princess Caribbean have a sports bar? Is it totally like the Crown Princess?

Thanks for any information you can throw my way. Sailing away for Aruba for New Year's...it sounds like a song Jimmy Buffet would sing!!

My last two cruises were holiday ones with Christmas and New years (two years and five years before that). The Eves on both were formal nights (since they were two week cruises, there were three formal nights altogether). I believe there were special entrees, but I can't remember on NYE. No free champagne. I never heard of greens or black eyed peas for luck, but then I grew up in Southern California, and the tradition around here are sobriety road blocks. And the expectation that the next morning is the big parade and game in Pasadena.

And speaking of games, they'll try to get the major football games, which will mean paying for a special feed (they're not on the usual satellite service they use). I'm guessing it's easier to get the signals in the Caribbean....sometimes on the Hawaiian itinerary, the signal could be iffy in the middle of the Pacific. I did go to the pool area to get a chicken sandwich from the grill and people were enjoying the Rose Bowl game on MUTS (since UCLA wasn't playing, I just stayed long enough to ask what the weather was like in Pasadena). I just wouldn't expect to be able to see a bowl game in the cabin.

There were be several parties spread throughout the ship. In the grand atrium, there will be one of the parties with a live band and a balloon drop at midnight. There was a lot of dancing and merriment. The ship should be very, very quiet the next morning.;)

Thank you all for that information. My husband loves football, and it is good I can assure him that he can watch them. We were on the STAR two years ago and they were able to get a lot of stations...FoxNews..MSNBC. We are hopeful the same exists on the Caribbean Princess.

Eating greens ( collard greens, turnip greens), black eyed peas cooked with hog jowl, is a NYE tradition in the South that dates back to colonial slave days. It is like the British who hide things in their fruitcakes..whoever finds them is lucky. I am sure we can come up with greens..the black eyed peas and hog jowl will be harder.

The champagne fountian sound great. I hope they do that I look forward to a very festive evening......then to bed quickly..and as the last lady said......a very quiet day the next day.

The anticipation is always part of the fun for me. it is also like magic..to go from cold weather to warm weather. It is like stepping out of an old wardrobe or something..and voila...the flowers are blooming..people are on the beach. Magic.

I'm guessing the champagne waterfall will be on the other formal night, and here's my reasoning: The waterfall takes quite a bit of time to put together with the stacking of the glasses and the pouring of the champagne. I would think the staff members involved will also have to take their time taking it apart, too. So unless this happens early on, the event would be in conflict with setting things up for NYE, since both involve the Piazza (or the grand atrium, if there isn't a Piazza).

Archived