Seeking Replies from prior actual Alcove renters

slp123

I have booked an Alcove for the length of our cruise on Reflection in January. We usually sail on HAL and always book a private Cabana when aboard the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam. We (my two sisters and I just prefer the privacy and solitude). If anyone has actual experienced both the Alcove and the HAL Cabanas, would love to hear your opinion. Also would love to hear from those who have sailed on Reflections or the Silhouette and rented an alcove.

[quote name='slp123']I have booked an Alcove for the length of our cruise on Reflection in January. We usually sail on HAL and always book a private Cabana when aboard the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam. We (my two sisters and I just prefer the privacy and solitude). If anyone has actual experienced both the Alcove and the HAL Cabanas, would love to hear your opinion. Also would love to hear from those who have sailed on Reflections or the Silhouette and rented an alcove.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="3"]Well, privacy and alcove are not words I would use in the same sentence. Have you looked at the pictures at all? They are definitely not private. Hordes of people will be passing in front and behind you.

Good luck hearing from actual renters. I'll bet there aren't many.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='mrsdoc3']There is another thread on this board about the alcoves. I have never rented one, but everyone who posted on the other thread all said they are not private at all.[/QUOTE]

I cannot seem to find it. Do you know the name of the thread?

[quote name='Christine Frances']The Alcoves are different from HAL cabana's but both "semi-private"[IMG]http://cruisesource.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Cabanas-Holland-America-Eurodam.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmBzdbhTFubNa28hviyKWwZs0vsezyJKqoGrpBEwEI1RE6TEEP[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Well on HAL the entire deck pictured which is surrounded by the Cabanas is reserved for the use of Cabana holders only. So there is a good deal of privacy and very little "gawking." That reserved area concept doesn't seem to be the same on the S class ships. But I am not looking for exclusivity, only a reserved area removed from the more active pool areas. I also understand that there are two in staff assigned to the renters of the Alcove to bring refreshments, towels, chaise lounges for the lawn etc. Well we shall see . . .life is an adventure or it is really nothing at all.

I would do it, especially if I was splitting the cost three ways (oh heck, I'd do it if I was picking it up myself!). The pool area's on the S class ships get pretty tight!

the only thing that drives me nuts is that they don't face the sea. But, if they did, you'd have 0% privacy with all the people walking by and gawking at you. But great for relaxing, reading and just chilling!

Go for it!

[quote name='emcee207']..the only thing that drives me nuts is that they don't face the sea. But, if they did, you'd have 0% privacy with all the people walking by and gawking at you. But great for relaxing, reading and just chilling!

Go for it![/quote]

They could have easily redesigned that area and had them on the "outside" of the walkway (moving the walkway in towards the middle of ship), facing the ocean.

Is the "grassy area" in the middle of the ship still available to use for free?
If it is there really is no privacy in the alcoves.

I agree with Linda. There is nothing private about the alcoves nor are they away from the action. They are open to the rest of the lawn so other passengers could easily being hanging out just a few feet from you. We absolutely loved everything else about Silhouette (Reflection's "twin") but the alcoves are a good idea, very poorly executed.

[quote name='slp123']I cannot seem to find it. Do you know the name of the thread?[/QUOTE]

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1669378[/url]

I don't know if the link works (I've never done on before). But I copied and pasted the name, so even if the link doesn't work, you have the address.

I don't get this privacy thing! What are you guys planning on doing in your Alcove?:). As stated above, I think they are a great way to relax with friends in the shade away from the noise and bedlam from the pool deck. The only place I expect privacy is on my own balcony! I also don't think the walking path should be moved to the inside as that would deprive way too many people access - i could imagine the uproar. We and our friends are going to rent one next year on the Silhouette as we are all tired of doing the deck chair dance. The little extras make it nice but it would be even nicer if X through in a bottle of wine:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We spent a sea day in an alcove on the Silhouette (it was paid for by our friends who invited us to join them for the entire day) and if the OP is seeking privacy they are going to be somewhat disappointed. Although the design is supposed to limit the number of people that would be in your face it does not give you privacy. In fact, sometimes we thought we were on display as other passengers, passing behind the alcoves as they simply walk on the outside of the deck, would stop to chat, ask us about the alcove, etc. The lawn area in front of the alcoves (they face the center of the ship) often had small crowds of passengers who wanted to use (and photograph) the large chair located between the alcoves. However, the advantage of the alcove area is that there are certainly a lot fewer folks then near the pools.

Hank

[quote name='emcee207']I would do it, especially if I was splitting the cost three ways (oh heck, I'd do it if I was picking it up myself!). The pool area's on the S class ships get pretty tight!

the only thing that drives me nuts is that they don't face the sea. But, if they did, you'd have 0% privacy with all the people walking by and gawking at you. But great for relaxing, reading and just chilling!

Go for it![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the positive input! :)

[quote name='mrsdoc3'][url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1669378[/url]

I don't know if the link works (I've never done on before). But I copied and pasted the name, so even if the link doesn't work, you have the address.[/QUOTE]

It did work. Good job and thanks!! Steven:)

[quote name='Christine Frances']I don't get this privacy thing! What are you guys planning on doing in your Alcove?:). As stated above, I think they are a great way to relax with friends in the shade away from the noise and bedlam from the pool deck. The only place I expect privacy is on my own balcony! I also don't think the walking path should be moved to the inside as that would deprive way too many people access - i could imagine the uproar. We and our friends are going to rent one next year on the Silhouette as we are all tired of doing the deck chair dance. The little extras make it nice but it would be even nicer if X through in a bottle of wine:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/QUOTE]

You are right--we are doing it more for a sense of space and we really don't like the deck chair dance either. Also I am a little bit fanatical about being over exposed to the sun. 30-60 minutes each day at most directly in the sun. So I love the idea of the covered alcove. As to people coming by and asking questions, I don't mind unless I am otherwise engaged in a conversation or sleeping. If they wake me up, then "[I]no parlo inglese[/I]". :p

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Christine Frances']The Alcoves are different from HAL cabana's but both "semi-private"[IMG]http://cruisesource.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Cabanas-Holland-America-Eurodam.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmBzdbhTFubNa28hviyKWwZs0vsezyJKqoGrpBEwEI1RE6TEEP[/IMG][/quote]

WOW, the ones on HAL look like the tents after a hurricane to house people that lost their homes. Might as well stay in your cabin. I vote for X's version

I can't help but wonder, They are 149.00 for 12 hours of relaxation with some extras included. How many people spend $100.00 - $200.00 or more on a 30 minute massage and after an hour you feel like your old self again. Now that's a waste of money. I personally don't want total privacy, If I did I may as well hibernate in my cabin. I could do that at a motel.

If you choose to spend your money on an alcove, do it. You are free to spend money as you want. However, unless you are sailing during school holidays, you will probably find lots of empty chaises in many places on the ship. It may be a nice way to spend a quiet afternoon reading a book. Inside the ship, it is hard to find a quiet place. On my recent cruise on the Silhouette on a sea day, I looked all over the ship for a quiet place to sit and read. Every lounge, open space, library, etc. were taken over with load activities/music. Even my cabin wasn't quiet. The noise from the grand foyer could be heard in my cabin. So perhaps, renting an alcove is the only way to secure a quiet space. I hope that your weather is good. Enjoy!!

[quote name='dodger1964']Is the "grassy area" in the middle of the ship still available to use for free?[/QUOTE]

No. It cost about $100+ per person per day to use the grassy areas. :D

Seriously, other than for the alcoves, use of all of the grass areas are included in the cruise fare. On our Barcelona to Venice cruise a couple of weeks ago, I only saw one alcove in use during the entire 14 night cruise, and this by a young couple with a three year old daughter. They were in an inside cabin, so renting one gave them some 'personal' space, while balcony passengers can enjoy it on their balconies. When you consider how much cheaper an inside cabin costs than balcony cabins, they actually come out ahead by reserving an alcove only when they want one.

[quote name='boogs']No. [COLOR=red]It cost about $100+ per person per day[/COLOR] to use the grassy areas. :D

Seriously, other than for the alcoves, use of all of the grass areas are included in the cruise fare. On our Barcelona to Venice cruise a couple of weeks ago, I only saw one alcove in use during the entire 14 night cruise, and this by a young couple with a three year old daughter. They were in an inside cabin, so renting one gave them some 'personal' space, while balcony passengers can enjoy it on their balconies. When you consider how much cheaper an inside cabin costs than balcony cabins, they actually come out ahead by reserving an alcove only when they want one.[/quote]

So on the entire 14 day cruise you had can actually say that no one used them. You watched them the ENTIRE 14 days. I doubt it. it.
The price is 149.00 on a sea day and 99.00 on a port day and is [COLOR=red]NOT PER PERSON[/COLOR]. and it holds up to 4 people. I just reserved ours so I know.

We are just back from 25 days on the Silhouette (in the Med and Holy Land) and because of this particular thread we walked over to the Alcoves on every sea day. Although we often had great weather on the sea days the Alcoves were generally not very popular. On the most gorgeous sea day there was only 1 unit rented and we never saw more then 3 rented on any day. There is absolutely no privacy with the Alcoves as anyone can walk by along the outer walkway and gaze into the Alcoves and there is nothing to stop any passenger from entering the Alcove area to simply gawk, use the large chairs on the lawn, etc. I would reiterate that we have actually spent a sea day in an Alcove (on a prior cruise....and we were invited by friends who paid the big bucks) and thought it a ridiculous waste of money.

Hank

I guess I am in the minority here, but I am planning to book one on our upcoming Silhouette cruise. We are on a holiday cruise and there are sure to be tons of people on board. I have had skin cancer (non-melanoma) and have to be in shade. It makes finding available seats together a challenge. For me, we have no need for privacy --- that's not what it's about. We prefer to be away from the pool and just want to relax, read a book, maybe play uno as a family -- something like that. For 12 hours, it seems nice to have the ability to come and go, be assured of seating for 4, with the shade I require.

That said, different strokes for different folks. We don't cruise 3x a year like many here do. We don't book AQ or CC. We don't spend tons on excursions either. For us, a quiet place to relax, or a treatment at the spa make the trip enjoyable.

I will be sure to post my thoughts when I return.

[quote name='travelingirl70']I guess I am in the minority here, but I am planning to book one on our upcoming Silhouette cruise. We are on a holiday cruise and there are sure to be tons of people on board. I have had skin cancer (non-melanoma) and have to be in shade. It makes finding available seats together a challenge. For me, we have no need for privacy --- that's not what it's about. We prefer to be away from the pool and just want to relax, read a book, maybe play uno as a family -- something like that. For 12 hours, it seems nice to have the ability to come and go, be assured of seating for 4, with the shade I require.

That said, different strokes for different folks. We don't cruise 3x a year like many here do. We don't book AQ or CC. We don't spend tons on excursions either. For us, a quiet place to relax, or a treatment at the spa make the trip enjoyable.

I will be sure to post my thoughts when I return.[/quote]

You are not alone!! We will be booking for the two sea days we have on the Med cruise next June for the same reasons as you:D

[quote name='travelingirl70']I guess I am in the minority here, but I am planning to book one on our upcoming Silhouette cruise. We are on a holiday cruise and there are sure to be tons of people on board. I have had skin cancer (non-melanoma) and have to be in shade. It makes finding available seats together a challenge. For me, we have no need for privacy --- that's not what it's about. We prefer to be away from the pool and just want to relax, read a book, maybe play uno as a family -- something like that. For 12 hours, it seems nice to have the ability to come and go, be assured of seating for 4, with the shade I require.

I will be sure to post my thoughts when I return.[/quote]

You took the words right out of my mouth.
I cannot seem to understand the concern everyone has with privacy, your on a cruise ship with 3,000 plus people for petes sake. If I wanted privacy the last place I would go is on a cruise ship.

I rented one for a sea day. I am going to make sure our Kindles are charged up and I have at all times (after 12 noon that is) a Black russian in my hand.

[quote name='believer33323']So on the entire 14 day cruise you had can actually say that no one used them. You watched them the ENTIRE 14 days. I doubt it. it.[/QUOTE]

Really? Of course I didn't watch them the entire 14 days. Do you actually think that was a clever comment? :rolleyes:

I spent much time walking around the ship, both for exercise and to enjoy this beautiful ship. I cruise to enjoy the ocean views, and walking around the upper decks is the best way to do that. I must have passed by the alcoves thirty or more times during my cruise, often to spend time in the aft bar area. Only once did I see one being occupied, and I looked every time I passed by for the simple reason that I am curious as to how popular they really are. Other than people taking quick photos in them and moving on, they weren't in use much. Once in thirty passes - that's a pretty low occupancy rate.

You also seem to imply that I am critical of people who book them. I am not. As I mentioned earlier, I think they are a good idea for people who are staying in an inside cabin. Perhaps you need to turn your sensitivity meter down a few notches. Unlike you, I have actually observed their use, and think I know what I saw better than you.

Archived