Birth Certificate

Since 2007 US citizens have been required to have a passport for air travel from Mexico to the US. Therefore something highly unusual occurred if you were permitted to do so - hence my thoughts that you may be leaving something out. Regardless you should not make it sound like this is commonplace as it may lead others to forgo procuring a passport mistakenly believing that they will be fine if an emergency occurs and they need to debark from a cruise early in a foreign country without a passport.

Are you sure your travel insurance (or someone) did not obtain an emergency temporary passport for you and your daughter from the US Embassy in Mexico during your 26 hours in the hospital?

You're kidding me, right? We've never had a passport. We were told that since we came to Mexico via a cruise ship (which did not require a passport for a closed-loop cruise) from the US, it was not required by the Mexican officials. I have nothing but good things to say about how Carnival handled the situation. We were very gratefull for the jet, the pilots and paramedics on board and the way we were treated. My daughter was critical and after getting back to the states, she was in ICU for another week and has since recovered. By the way, nothing about the ordeal we went through was "commonplace." It was the most frightening thing we've ever been through. I don't know you and I certainly don't owe you any explaination. I've made it clear and the bottom line is WE FLEW FROM MEXICO BACK TO THE US WITHOUT PASSPORTS. PERIOD. :mad:

You're kidding me, right? We've never had a passport. We were told that since we came to Mexico via a cruise ship (which did not require a passport for a closed-loop cruise) from the US, it was not required by the Mexican officials. I have nothing but good things to say about how Carnival handled the situation. We were very gratefull for the jet, the pilots and paramedics on board and the way we were treated. My daughter was critical and after getting back to the states, she was in ICU for another week and has since recovered. By the way, nothing about the ordeal we went through was "commonplace." It was the most frightening thing we've ever been through. I don't know you and I certainly don't owe you any explaination. I've made it clear and the bottom line is WE FLEW FROM MEXICO BACK TO THE US WITHOUT PASSPORTS. PERIOD. :mad:

You don't owe me an explanation, but it does a disservice to others to say that you do not need a passport to fly back to the US from another country if you leave a cruise early. That is simply not true. It was possible some rare exception was made in your situation or it is possible that your insurance, staff at the hospital, someone at the cruise line or whoever was able to obtain an emergency temporary passport for you and your daughter without you realizing. That is the normal procedure if someone needs to fly to the US from another country without a passport - a temporary passport is issued on an emergency basis from the nearest US Embassy. Sometimes this can be a slow and difficult process which is why so many people strongly recommend not traveling out of the country without a valid passport. Anyways I am glad it was not a hassle in your situation and that your daughter recovered - that is what is most important.

If you have time, get the passport... Makes things a whole lot more simple.

I could not agree more. It does make things go a little bit faster. At one time the gov't had considered passports for closed loop cruises as well and perhaps they will again someday. I never understand why someone wouldn't want to just get a passport rather than fumbling with 2 different docs.

You don't owe me an explanation, but it does a disservice to others to say that you do not need a passport to fly back to the US from another country if you leave a cruise early. That is simply not true. It was possible some rare exception was made in your situation or it is possible that your insurance, staff at the hospital, someone at the cruise line or whoever was able to obtain an emergency temporary passport for you and your daughter without you realizing. That is the normal procedure if someone needs to fly to the US from another country without a passport - a temporary passport is issued on an emergency basis from the nearest US Embassy. Sometimes this can be a slow and difficult process which is why so many people strongly recommend not traveling out of the country without a valid passport. Anyways I am glad it was not a hassle in your situation and that your daughter recovered - that is what is most important.

Just the fact that you continue to argue with me shows your arrogancy. I've done my best to explain to you in simple terms what happened to us. That's all I can do. If you chose to believe otherwise, so be it. I'm not an idiot who thinks people can fly from Mexico without a passport on a daily basis. Oh, and by the way, there were two other patients at the hospital from the same ship also flown back to the US without passports.

I could not agree more. It does make things go a little bit faster. At one time the gov't had considered passports for closed loop cruises as well and perhaps they will again someday. I never understand why someone wouldn't want to just get a passport rather than fumbling with 2 different docs.

We do plan to get passports. Thank you. :)

Just the fact that you continue to argue with me shows your arrogancy. I've done my best to explain to you in simple terms what happened to us. That's all I can do. If you chose to believe otherwise, so be it. I'm not an idiot who thinks people can fly from Mexico without a passport on a daily basis. Oh, and by the way, there were two other patients at the hospital from the same ship also flown back to the US without passports.

I totally agree with you.

Just because you don't have a passport does not mean that you cannot enter your own country.

There are plenty of exceptions.

I don't know why some people think that a passport is the only means to get around.

It's just Mexico. They act like you are trying to flying from Libya or Beirut..

Just the fact that you continue to argue with me shows your arrogancy. I've done my best to explain to you in simple terms what happened to us. That's all I can do. If you chose to believe otherwise, so be it. I'm not an idiot who thinks people can fly from Mexico without a passport on a daily basis.

But you did kind of make it sound like "hey, we did it, you can too, it's no problem." And you've never answered the question as to whether someone (travel insurance, hospital official, cruiseline, whoever) may have worked behind the scenes, while you were busy at the hospital for 26 hours, to get temporary emergency passports or other official clearance for you to fly Mexico-US.

I totally agree with you.

Just because you don't have a passport does not mean that you cannot enter your own country.

There are plenty of exceptions.

I don't know why some people think that a passport is the only means to get around.

It's just Mexico. They act like you are trying to flying from Libya or Beirut..

No one said it's the only way to get around; they've said it makes it far easier to fly internationally if you have one. Someone may have been the fortunate victim of an exception, but that doesn't mean that anyone and everyone can expect the same exception as routine, or they can jump ship mid-cruise and fly back from wherever without any hassle. :rolleyes:

But you did kind of make it sound like "hey, we did it, you can too, it's no problem." And you've never answered the question as to whether someone (travel insurance, hospital official, cruiseline, whoever) may have worked behind the scenes, while you were busy at the hospital for 26 hours, to get temporary emergency passports or other official clearance for you to fly Mexico-US.

Once again....

1. NO, WE DID NOT HAVE PASSPORTS.

2. NO, there was no one "working behind the scenes" to get passports. THEY WERE NEVER EVEN MENTIONED.

3. The immigration officer at the airport delt with me and me only. He asked for our BIRTH CERTIFICATES AND PHOTO ID'S ONLY. HE UNDERSTOOD WE WERE THERE ON A CRUISE AND A LOT OF PEOPLE CRUISE WITHOUT PASSPORTS!

4. It was a MEDICAL EMERGENCY with INSURANCE through the cruise line, who made sure we got back home.

END OF STORY.

i totally agree with you.

just because you don't have a passport does not mean that you cannot enter your own country.

there are plenty of exceptions.

i don't know why some people think that a passport is the only means to get around.

it's just mexico. They act like you are trying to flying from libya or beirut..

Thank you.

Good grief. A girl and her parent had to leave a cruise early because of a medical emergency. They did not have passports. The FLEW back to the US from Mexico. The President did not intercede on their behalf, Congress did not issue a special exemption and the earth did not spin out of its orbit around the sun.

Why is that so hard to except? :confused:

There are exceptions made for people being brought back via air ambulances.

However, had the daughter been released from the hospital and been able to fly back commercial they would have had to obtain the passports. It happened to a close friend's daughter who broke her arm in Cozumel while traveling with her boyfriend. The ship left while she was still being treated in emergency. The hospital would not release her until the bill was paid. The family had to wire the $$$ because the kids were traveling with only debit cards and had limited funds in their checking accounts. They showed up at the airport to fly United home on the tickets their parents bought online and were denied boarding without a passport. They carried on and the parents tried to get the airline to relent from this end, but with no success. She and her fiancee had to take the ferry to Playa del Carmen, then take the bus to Merida and it took them about 3 days to get passports issued at the Consulate. The parents had to wire more money for them to pay for the transportation, hotel, meals and passport fees. They then were able to change the tickets and they flew home United from Merida. NO travel insurance, no nothing - just lots of bills and extra days of lost work. Get the passport and get travel insurance - it saves so many headaches if something out of the ordinary happens.

Good grief. A girl and her parent had to leave a cruise early because of a medical emergency. They did not have passports. The FLEW back to the US from Mexico. The President did not intercede on their behalf, Congress did not issue a special exemption and the earth did not spin out of its orbit around the sun.

Why is that so hard to except? :confused:

Thank you SO much! You brought me to tears.

There are exceptions made for people being brought back via air ambulances.

However, had the daughter been released from the hospital and been able to fly back commercial they would have had to obtain the passports. It happened to a close friend's daughter who broke her arm in Cozumel while traveling with her boyfriend. The ship left while she was still being treated in emergency. The hospital would not release her until the bill was paid. The family had to wire the $$$ because the kids were traveling with only debit cards and had limited funds in their checking accounts. They showed up at the airport to fly United home on the tickets their parents bought online and were denied boarding without a passport. They carried on and the parents tried to get the airline to relent from this end, but with no success. She and her fiancee had to take the ferry to Playa del Carmen, then take the bus to Merida and it took them about 3 days to get passports issued at the Consulate. The parents had to wire more money for them to pay for the transportation, hotel, meals and passport fees. They then were able to change the tickets and they flew home United from Merida. NO travel insurance, no nothing - just lots of bills and extra days of lost work. Get the passport and get travel insurance - it saves so many headaches if something out of the ordinary happens.

You are exactly right. :)

Huh? You are the one being arrogant not realizing that a special exception was made for you and you were lucky you did not have a hassle. As I stated previously, passports are REQUIRED for air travel from Mexico to US since 2007 - makes no difference if you were on a cruise or not. This is FACT. Only way around it is if a special exception is granted or one obtains a temporary passport. You are trying to make it seem like it is no big deal to fly back to US from Mexico if you were on a cruise and have no passport and this is often not the case - it is prudent for people to have a valid passport on them when travelling out of the country.

Huh? You are the one being arrogant not realizing that a special exception was made for you and you were lucky you did not have a hassle. As I stated previously, passports are REQUIRED for air travel from Mexico to US since 2007 - makes no difference if you were on a cruise or not. This is FACT. Only way around it is if a special exception is granted or one obtains a temporary passport. You are trying to make it seem like it is no big deal to fly back to US from Mexico if you were on a cruise and have no passport and this is often not the case - it is prudent for people to have a valid passport on them when travelling out of the country.

Not True. It really is not that big of a deal...

I hate to put myself in the middle of controversy yet again but I do have to say that though I beleive your entire story to be true, when you don't have a passport you are at the whim/mercy of the person in front of you. While I do believe that moist people are just trying to do a good job, I am not willing to leave it to chance. If it ever comes down to a situation where you're really wondering if you need a passport, you probably are stressed enough as it is. Why let not having one add to the mix?

ok, as a time out here. My question is to verify and understand the rules for MY situation. Are you stating that if I cruise out of Tampa on Jewel and go to Cozumel and Georgetown, and return to Tampa on Jewel then I only need a gov't issued photo ID and the certified original birth certificate???? And if I am flying from one US city to another US city I only need a gov't issued photo ID and aforementioned birth certificate????

ok, as a time out here. My question is to verify and understand the rules for MY situation. Are you stating that if I cruise out of Tampa on Jewel and go to Cozumel and Georgetown, and return to Tampa on Jewel then I only need a gov't issued photo ID and the certified original birth certificate???? And if I am flying from one US city to another US city I only need a gov't issued photo ID and aforementioned birth certificate????

Yes, to your first question if you are a US citizen, since it's a closed loop cruise starting and ending at a US port. To fly from one US city to another, you only need the gov't issued photo ID.

Yes, to your first question if you are a US citizen, since it's a closed loop cruise starting and ending at a US port. To fly from one US city to another, you only need the gov't issued photo ID.

oh thank you thank you. One of my traveling mates for my next cruise is dragging her feet getting the name changed on her passport (divorced)...now all I have to do is have her dig for her original certified birth certificate. Or do we need to establish a paper trail. Birth certificate, marriage license, divorce decree?

That is correct. The case in which things may become dicey is if you, for some reason (news of emergent at home, illness) may cause you to leave from Cozumel and fly back to your home town unexpectedly. Hopefully, things would go as smoothly as possible as they did for the OP. It is just my opinion that I'd rather have a passport just in case...

So, let me get this straight. You actually flew from Tampa to Houston, both within the US, so you did not fly from a foreign country (Mexico), correct? That would explain why no passport was required.

The way I understand it is that the lear jet in MEXICO arrived from Tampa Bay

oh thank you thank you. One of my traveling mates for my next cruise is dragging her feet getting the name changed on her passport (divorced)...now all I have to do is have her dig for her original certified birth certificate. Or do we need to establish a paper trail. Birth certificate, marriage license, divorce decree?

If the name on the birth certificate does not match the name on the photo ID, then it's a good idea to have the paper trail.

Archived