Birth Certificate

oh thank you thank you. One of my traveling mates for my next cruise is dragging her feet getting the name changed on her passport (divorced)...now all I have to do is have her dig for her original certified birth certificate. Or do we need to establish a paper trail. Birth certificate, marriage license, divorce decree?

Of course, she could make the cruise booking using the name on her (unaltered) passport.

Of course, she could make the cruise booking using the name on her (unaltered) passport.

there's a problem with that, she did change the name on the credit card she'll be using. So the name on the passport and credit card for the Seapass won't match

I was going to ask what insurance company, but see you actually had the cruiseline insurance. First time I have read such a good outcome using the cruiseline insurance versus a private carrier. Good to hear and glad things turned out OK for you and your daughter has mended. :)!

There are hundreds maybe thousands of doc debates on CC and no one on here will be checking you in at the port. There are people turned away all the time for incorrect docs, please get info from the people that will be checking you in at the port, in this case RCI.

I was going to ask what insurance company, but see you actually had the cruiseline insurance. First time I have read such a good outcome using the cruiseline insurance versus a private carrier. Good to hear and glad things turned out OK for you and your daughter has mended. :)!

Thank you very much. :)

We also use cruise line insurance. Its through Berkely Care and they have been fantastic! When we were dealing with my DH illness and being hospitalized in Seattle they made all our travel arrangements home and were in constant contact, even after we got home.

We will never cruise with out it!!!

We also use cruise line insurance. Its through Berkely Care and they have been fantastic! When we were dealing with my DH illness and being hospitalized in Seattle they made all our travel arrangements home and were in constant contact, even after we got home.

We will never cruise with out it!!!

Ours was also Berkeley in Jerrico, NY. They handled everything in the same way for us. They were great. :)

Good grief. A girl and her parent had to leave a cruise early because of a medical emergency. They did not have passports. The FLEW back to the US from Mexico. The President did not intercede on their behalf, Congress did not issue a special exemption and the earth did not spin out of its orbit around the sun.

Why is that so hard to except? :confused:

a close friend's daughter who broke her arm in Cozumel while traveling with her boyfriend. The ship left while she was still being treated in emergency. The hospital would not release her until the bill was paid. The family had to wire the $$$ because the kids were traveling with only debit cards and had limited funds in their checking accounts. They showed up at the airport to fly United home on the tickets their parents bought online and were denied boarding without a passport. They carried on and the parents tried to get the airline to relent from this end, but with no success. She and her fiancee had to take the ferry to Playa del Carmen, then take the bus to Merida and it took them about 3 days to get passports issued at the Consulate. The parents had to wire more money for them to pay for the transportation, hotel, meals and passport fees. They then were able to change the tickets and they flew home United from Merida. NO travel insurance, no nothing - just lots of bills and extra days of lost work. Get the passport and get travel insurance - it saves so many headaches if something out of the ordinary happens.

It is so hard to accept because of stories like the one above. Obviously in ladysilver's example some exceptions were made and she was very lucky in that regard. But one cannot and should not count on exceptions being made. It's ok to hope for the best, but always be prepared for the worst.

the daughter been released from the hospital and been able to fly back commercial they would have had to obtain the passports. It happened to a close friend's daughter who broke her arm in Cozumel while traveling with her boyfriend. The ship left while she was still being treated in emergency. The hospital would not release her until the bill was paid. The family had to wire the $$$ because the kids were traveling with only debit cards and had limited funds in their checking accounts. They showed up at the airport to fly United home on the tickets their parents bought online and were denied boarding without a passport. They carried on and the parents tried to get the airline to relent from this end, but with no success. She and her fiancee had to take the ferry to Playa del Carmen, then take the bus to Merida and it took them about 3 days to get passports issued at the Consulate. The parents had to wire more money for them to pay for the transportation, hotel, meals and passport fees. They then were able to change the tickets and they flew home United from Merida. NO travel insurance, no nothing - just lots of bills and extra days of lost work. Get the passport and get travel insurance - it saves so many headaches if something out of the ordinary happens.

Not True. It really is not that big of a deal...

Matj2000- How can you say "it's not that big of a deal" after reading a story like that above? :confused:

It is so hard to accept because of stories like the one above. Obviously in ladysilver's example some exceptions were made and she was very lucky in that regard. But one cannot and should not count on exceptions being made. It's ok to hope for the best, but always be prepared for the worst.

So then, you are saying it didn't happen?

Matj2000- How can you say "it's not that big of a deal" after reading a story like that above? :confused:

I'm guessing that Waterbug was able to say it by pushing the keys on the keyboard in the right order.

Seriously, what you consider a big deal others may not. What others consider a big deal you may not. Some people would look at any problems as part of the adventure. Others might view travel interruptions differently.

So then, you are saying it didn't happen?

No, if she says that's how it happened then ok. But I seriously doubt that her experience was the norm!

I'm guessing that Waterbug was able to say it by pushing the keys on the keyboard in the right order.

Seriously, what you consider a big deal others may not. What others consider a big deal you may not. Some people would look at any problems as part of the adventure. Others might view travel interruptions differently.

Oh please, I'm all for adventure while traveling, but if I missed the ship at a port because of a medical situation, and then had to find transport to another city and wait 3 days for a passport, well, I think most people would consider that a "big deal," when you compare it to simply taking a cab to the airport and being on the next plane out. :rolleyes:

Wow! You would honestly call it an adventure if one is seriously sick, severely injured or has to get back home because a love one died, suffered a serious accident or became gravely ill and one is delayed and has to jump through hoops because they are in a foreign country without a passport? Seriously? :confused:

Wow! You would honestly call it an adventure if one is seriously sick, severely injured or has to get back home because a love one died, suffered a serious accident or became gravely ill and one is delayed and has to jump through hoops because they are in a foreign country without a passport? Seriously? :confused:

Each situation is different. That said, I have read reviews from people who have had, shall we say a unique travel experience, and they basically look at it as an adventure. I have also read reviews from people who were delayed five, ten, thirty minutes and considered it the worst experience of their lives.

Everyone reacts differently to out of the normal experiences.

Each situation is different. That said, I have read reviews from people who have had, shall we say a unique travel experience, and they basically look at it as an adventure. I have also read reviews from people who were delayed five, ten, thirty minutes and considered it the worst experience of their lives.

Everyone reacts differently to out of the normal experiences.

Please explain how one would describe an incident as "adventurous" where they are stranded in a foreign country needing to jump through hoops because they do not have a passport and need to get back to the US ASAP because a loved one is dying, gravely injured or the traveler is injured and wants to return to the US for treatment. I am having a hard time figuring out how anybody in their right mind would view this as an adventure. :confused:

oh thank you thank you. One of my traveling mates for my next cruise is dragging her feet getting the name changed on her passport (divorced)...now all I have to do is have her dig for her original certified birth certificate. Or do we need to establish a paper trail. Birth certificate, marriage license, divorce decree?

It was easier in my case to get the passport after my name change (marriage) than it was to get my state's driver's license. I didn't need the paper trail, other than the marriage license, for the passport. With the AR driver's license, I had to document every name change/divorce/marriage step-by-step from the time of birth with official paperwork. I have since decided that if life circumstances ever dictate that I must change my name again...it will be for one time only...to my maiden name for the rest of my life!

Please explain how one would describe an incident as "adventurous" where they are stranded in a foreign country needing to jump through hoops because they do not have a passport and need to get back to the US ASAP because a loved one is dying, gravely injured or the traveler is injured and wants to return to the US for treatment. I am having a hard time figuring out how anybody in their right mind would view this as an adventure. :confused:

Why don't you go to the library and check out one of the many books that contain a bunch of short stories related to travel mishaps, and you can read for yourself.

Archived