**LIVE from the Miracle - Our 10/28/12 nine day (now) Cruise**

NeptunesGoddess

Hey everyone, sorry it's been awhile since I last posted.

Thank you all for the best wishes. We have been sailing through 15 - 18 foot swells (according to the captain's announcements). It has made for some rockin and rolling, but , honestly it hasn't been that bad. Lots of movement but it is a really fun way to bond with other passengers. You would be walking along and lose footing suddenly and see other passengers doing the same and we just look at each and begin to laugh because we all look drunk even though we aren't. Although, I am sure there are some people who are tipsy, you just can't tell them apart from any of us, as we are all walking "drunk".

Hubby and I were watching "Good Morning America" and lo and behold, they were talking to our captain on the phone, just as Jimbo stated. That was pretty cool.

We have not experienced any motion sickness at all...these patches work wonders. I haven't seen any guests getting sick, so if there are any, they are staying in their cabins...which brings to another question that was asked about the amount of passengers on the ship. It does seem a bit less crowded than previous cruises. But then, that could be because some passengers are in their cabins, I don't know.

There will be pictures coming, just haven't had the time to get them uploaded. Hubby is at a Blackjack tournament and I am on my way to do some trivia. So we have been enjoying our extra day a lot.

I know this might sound strange to some of you, but we actually have liked the movement, then again, we aren't sick. The ships is mostly listing side to side...although from out aft balcony we can see it is also moving a bit front to back, we haven't been feeling that direction much.

Anyway...keep the questions coming and...

stay tuned. :)

Loving your amazing attitude! I heard the interview with the Captain this morning and am happy to hear from a passenger that things are not horrible on board! I am looking forward to your pictures! Thank you for taking time to give us a firsthand account! The Miracle is my favorite ship and I am following this trip with interest!

We were supposed to be on your cruise. My father in law became gravely ill and we called our ta last night to cancel, using our insurance. He cancelled through Carnival, who fully refunded our cruise without question. So, now I sit at home surfing the net for our "replacement" cruise. Our friends, Ruth and John are still sailing with you. If you should run into them tell them I was asking about them! I am going to subscribe to your thread so that I can follow along, where my dh and I should have been. Safe travels and happy sailing!

Hey Terri,

Maybe we'll be able to plan one together. someday?? right

Linda

I googled this:

One knot is how many miles per hour?

Slightly greater than 1.15mph

A knot, or nautical mile (6076 feet), is about 15% longer than a statute mile (5280). So, if you're traveling at a speed of 20 knots in a motor boat, you simply multiply 20 X 1.15 to get 23 mph. To go from mph to knots, multiply mph by about .87 to get knots.

One Knot = 1.1507794 MPH (sailors would say 1.15) One MPH = 0. 86897624 Knots (sailors would say 0. 9, but use 0.87 for quick pencil/paper work

Thanks Karen! But, in terms of "ship talk," is 20 knots fast for a cruise ship? I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. :)

Thanks Karen! But, in terms of "ship talk," is 20 knots fast for a cruise ship? I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. :)

Just watched a youtube thing on the Oasis of the Sea and they were saying that 25 knots was crazy fast for a ship....

My husband and I are also on this cruise right now, and I agree with the OP that while we are definitely rocking and rolling, it's not as bad as we thought it would be. And it's getting better. :) We are almost to the Outerbanks. We heard someone at brunch say that we are taking more people on at Port Canaveral, but I don't know if that is true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey everyone, sorry it's been awhile since I last posted.

Thank you all for the best wishes. We have been sailing through 15 - 18 foot swells (according to the captain's announcements). It has made for some rockin and rolling, but , honestly it hasn't been that bad. Lots of movement but it is a really fun way to bond with other passengers. You would be walking along and lose footing suddenly and see other passengers doing the same and we just look at each and begin to laugh because we all look drunk even though we aren't. Although, I am sure there are some people who are tipsy, you just can't tell them apart from any of us, as we are all walking "drunk".

Hubby and I were watching "Good Morning America" and lo and behold, they were talking to our captain on the phone, just as Jimbo stated. That was pretty cool.

We have not experienced any motion sickness at all...these patches work wonders. I haven't seen any guests getting sick, so if there are any, they are staying in their cabins...which brings to another question that was asked about the amount of passengers on the ship. It does seem a bit less crowded than previous cruises. But then, that could be because some passengers are in their cabins, I don't know.

There will be pictures coming, just haven't had the time to get them uploaded. Hubby is at a Blackjack tournament and I am on my way to do some trivia. So we have been enjoying our extra day a lot.

I know this might sound strange to some of you, but we actually have liked the movement, then again, we aren't sick. The ships is mostly listing side to side...although from out aft balcony we can see it is also moving a bit front to back, we haven't been feeling that direction much.

Anyway...keep the questions coming and...

stay tuned. :)

Good to hear. I had seen a few 25 foot seas reports not too far from where you were passing. Was it a side to side rocking or was the Captain able to go more head on into the waves? Those long side to side rocks for a long period of time sometimes get me. Should be seeing the sun sometime today. it will still be breezy though. Enjoy the trip and hopefully the ship doesn't run out of booze or TP before getting to Port Canaveral. :D

Edit: Oops never mind. Missed that part on the side to side. Although being aft balcony is probably a little less side to side than on the side.

My husband and I are also on this cruise right now, and I agree with the OP that while we are definitely rocking and rolling, it's not as bad as we thought it would be. And it's getting better. :) We are almost to the Outerbanks. We heard someone at brunch say that we are taking more people on at Port Canaveral, but I don't know if that is true.

Makes sense. Probably people who could not get in a day early flying into Orlando to meet the ship.

Just want to join everyone else in wishing you a safe trip and I love the attitude! We also like a little "rockin and rollin"! It is so good to hear that if you do sail during hurricane season that even the worst of storms can be dealt with and the fun does not have to stop....just adds a bit more adventure as far as we are concerned!

Spirit class maxes out at 21 knots I believe, Miracle usually does 21 consistently to cover ground between NYC & the Caribbean, so no, for her it's normal. :)

Hi Everyone,

We got to meet Don and Colleen at lunch. They were seated to our table and we got to talking and found out we were both cruise critic posters. Had a nice chat.

The waves are really dying down right now (still looking pretty rough though). Not as much listing and movement as last night, but still giving us some good surges of movement.

We are sailing at 19-20 knots and, like I said, we seem to be moving away from the brunt of it.

Don said that he heard some crew member saying that we only had 1000 on board and that there were about 900 people/parties that opted for the full refund for a future cruise.

Hubby and I did the blackjack tourney and I made it to the finals, but lost. I did get a T-shirt..YAY..haha.

Below is a video of the waves. They were worse last night, but being it was dark, we couldn't get video of the waves at their peak. This was taken from the promenade deck. Be warned, you might want to turn down your volume a bit. There was a "Name that tune" contest going on while we were taking video. Everyone was having a great time.

Stay tuned...

Carnival Miracle meets Sandy

Glad to hear that you are ok.

So glad you guys are ok and having a good time! We've been thinking about you! It will all get better from here out. Have a great time and hug our Miracle for us!:)

OP, thanks for posting and for showing people that you can still have fun in the face of adversity...it's all in the attitude;) Hope you all have a great cruise!

My friends were in Haiti when Sandy hit, they came home on Saturday, just in time to weather the storm again here in Brooklyn.

The wind is picking up, and many trees are down already blocking traffic.

My husband and I have weathered several rocky fun days at sea, and we still dance, no matter what. Thanks for posting the video.

By the way, if you have trip insurance, you may be able to fly to Port Canaveral to pick up the cruise from there.

Neptunegoddess, it's good to know you and your family are safe out there. Thanks for taking time to post, it will no doubt help ease the fears and uncertainty for those who have family or friends onboard. Enjoy the cruise.

I'm eager to know when you will arrive in Port Canaveral. Good luck & best wishes.

OK I copied the data from Carnival

CARNIVAL MIRACLE – 10/29/12 DEPARTURE NOW SCHEDULED TO DEPART SUNDAY 10/28/12

The port is expected to close at 6:00PM on Sunday. In an effort to continue with the cruise and keep safely away from the storm, the cruise will now depart on Sunday, October 28. Check-in is scheduled from 2:00PM to 4:00PM, and sailing is set for 5:00 PM from Pier 90.

Due to the short notice, we were unable to reschedule the delivery of our supplies (food, beverages, etc.) that was planned for Monday. Unfortunately, we will need to change our itinerary so that we can receive our provisions at the first port.

Below is the revised itinerary:

Day Port of Call Arrive Depart

Sun New York, NY 5:00 PM

Mon Fun Day @ Sea

Tue Fun Day @ Sea

Wed Port Canaveral, FL 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

Thu Nassau, The Bahamas 11:00 AM 8:00 PM

Fri Fun Day @ Sea

Sat Grand Turk 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Sun Fun Day @ Sea

Mon Fun Day @ Sea

Tue New York, NY 8:00 AM

Guests who sail will be treated to complimentary gratuities for the extra day and will be reimbursed for any additional parking expenses at the port.

Greetings from the Miracle everyone!

I hope you all enjoyed the video.

The movement of the ship has died down considerably at this point. We even got a "sliver" of some sunlight tonight at sunset. It was sandwiched between the horizon of the water and the bank of clouds. The captain announced that it will only get better from here on out. Seems we are out of the woods at this point.

Ipanema - I will def give a report of the Halloween Party. Oh and Carnival contacted up via phone. In fact, we got a call from them twice, so they were being very diligent about making sure their passengers were informed.

I decorated our cabin door and a lady down the hall saw me come out of our cabin and told me I was her inspiration for their next cruise to decorate their door. haha. Well, its always nice to spark inspiration into someone..even though it's just door decorating.

If any of you have a question or a request, just let me know.

Until then...stay tuned.

Good Morning everyone!

We woke up to calmer seas and sunshine this morning. It looks as if all will be well for the rest of the cruise. We will get to Port Canaveral tomorrow.

We have not noticed any indication of lack of provisions and tonight's "Elegant" night is going on as planned. Not sure we will have the food choices available to us if, indeed, provisions are running low.

I had read on another thread somewhere that the poster had "heard" that people were sick all over the place on this cruise. Well, I am not sure what "all over the place" means to that particular person, but we never ever saw anyone getting sick and we spend a lot of time out and about the ship in public areas.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Stay tuned...

Good Morning everyone!

We woke up to calmer seas and sunshine this morning. It looks as if all will be well for the rest of the cruise. We will get to Port Canaveral tomorrow.

We have not noticed any indication of lack of provisions and tonight's "Elegant" night is going on as planned. Not sure we will have the food choices available to us if, indeed, provisions are running low.

I had read on another thread somewhere that the poster had "heard" that people were sick all over the place on this cruise. Well, I am not sure what "all over the place" means to that particular person, but we never ever saw anyone getting sick and we spend a lot of time out and about the ship in public areas.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Stay tuned...

Neptune, you have such a great attitude! What a wonderful adventure to sail through a hurricane! Safety is never overated, but some of those who are questioning why someone would do this are the same people who will rent those wobbly-wheeled motor scooters in Mexico, or walk through Roatan flashing a wad of cash. What a great story you will have for your family! Be safe, have fun, and keep posting! BTW...what an amazing thing to be on a cruise ship with only a 1000 people! Think of the increased time the wait staff will have to give you even more amazing service, no lines, and fast elevator wait times. And it doesnt hurt that the crew may get some much deserved "down time".

Greetings again from The Miracle.

Thank you for all of the kind words about my attitude. I guess hubby and I just love cruising and we know that things can't always be perfect and putting those two things together allows us to always have a good time.

Rev - WoW, were you a fly on the wall of our cabin this morning? Because my husband and I had that exact conversation about the once in a lifetime experience of sailing in a hurricane. What an adventure it was!

Ipanema - Yep I have the door decorated for halloween..and I also put up our Anniversary sign too. We have honeymooners right next door to us...does that make it like they are the "before" and we are the "after"? Haha.

krolyat - We flew into NYC Saturday and got to our hotel room and Carnival called us on my hubby's cell phone. I thought it was going to be news that our cruise was canceled, but the told my husband that our 8 day cruise was extended to 9 days and to be at the port the next day at 2pm for boarding.

I hope I covered everyone's current questions. Tonight is elegant night and I am about to get ready. Weather is sunny, but a bit chilly. Water is still choppy but we are not having the dramatic listing movement anymore.

We made reservations at Nick and Nora's for friday. I always enjoy the steakhouse and I feel it is a good deal for what you get.

Feel free to shoot anymore questions or give me any suggestions. Hubby and I have never been to Port Canaveral, Bahamas or Grand Turk.

Archived