Damage To Dock at Cape Liberty?

Snookum

Port is open and the lines are not bad. Will add a picture after we get checked in. Really did not see much damage the way our driver brought us in. Area right outside the port still without power.

Thanks for the update. I am sure Sunday will be a little more hectic since the Explorer does a round trip and most people will have their cars parked there. I just hope there isn't too much damage for them. It would really spoil a cruise if that is the case.:(

This has been posted on th RC website a few moments ago:Tropical Weather Update

November 1, 2012 - 10:00 a.m. E.S.T

Royal Caribbean has not altered the boarding time or itinerary of any ship that departs from Cape Liberty, Bayonne, New Jersey, today or Sunday. Brilliance of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas boarding and departure times from Cape Liberty will take place as scheduled.

Here is another picture, new at adding them with my ipad.

Thanks for the pictures. It doesn't appear to look too bad. Up close might tell a different story.

I really appreciate what you are doing for us. We embark on Sunday, so we are very interested in what is going on up there.

Wishing you a great cruise and smooth seas..........:D

Gwen :)

Royal Caribbean has not altered the boarding time or itinerary of any ship that departs from Cape Liberty, Bayonne, New Jersey, today or Sunday. Brilliance of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas boarding and departure times from Cape Liberty will take place as scheduled.

That was yesterday's date. Still haven't posted an update for today. They are a little slow in doing so.

That was yesterday's date. Still haven't posted an update for today. They are a little slow in doing so.

That is the updated notice, the cruiseline did not update the date. Go back in this thread and you can see the update from yesterday posted from reddevil.

Tropical Weather Update

At this time, Royal Caribbean has not altered the boarding time or itinerary of any ship that departs from Cape Liberty, Bayonne, New Jersey, tomorrow or Sunday.

However, we encourage guests sailing on Brilliance of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas monitor this website for any additional updates.

Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor the situation in the northeast and will update this information again tomorrow, Friday, November 2, at 10:00 a.m. E.S.T.

Here is the post, multipost wasn't letting me quote 3 posts.

Updated info with wrong date:

That is correct. They forgot to change the date but the information was changed about one hour ago. I had been checking since 10:00 this morning.

I actually talked to someone at RCL in the website department just now and though I didn't get the exact right department, she said she knows who to talk to and will have it fixed.

I told her that cruise critic was talking about it and she laughed.

That is correct. They forgot to change the date but the information was changed about one hour ago. I had been checking since 10:00 this morning.

They fixed it already, that was pretty quick. I wish I could remember the name of the woman I talked to to thank her.:)

Now, I wonder if this qualifies as "he says/she says" or naysayer?:rolleyes:

I just spoke to my son a few minutes ago who just boarded the Brilliance docked at Cape Liberty. I asked him if he saw any visible damage to the vehicles parked there. He said no BUT the chain link fence surrounding the parking lots has debris stuck in it about 2-3 ft up from the bottom. He's assuming that's how far the water came over the pier but can't confirm it. :(

I hope everyone picking up their cars have plenty of gas in them cause there's none to be had anywhere in the area without sitting in 2 hour plus lines at the few stations that have both gas and power to pump it.

Those poor cruisers, not only were there rough seas and shaky circumstances, but to have to come home to cars that won't be serviceable, what a trip!!!

We're leaving on the Explorer on Sunday and are driving in 2 different cars (family cruise). I'm wondering if there will be parking availablity at all at the port? How can I contact the powers that be to get some info? Good luck to your son and your family.

Cape Liberty Parking

Thanks for the update Patti. I'll be interested to hear about how your ship weathered the storm.

Bob

Morning Bob, we had no storm damage because we were never in or around the storm. Captain Henrik did an outstanding job and kept us informed at all times.

There was talk of possibly staying in Halifax NS an extra day, but due to the direction Sandy was moving it was decided that we high tail it out of there and stay 2 days in St. John's NB, because we would be more protected there and then go on to Portland Maine. Unfortunately that meant we missed Bar Harbor.

There were some choppy seas and winds but they were occurring during the overnight hours, so it was rocking people to sleep.:D The weather we encountered was nothing out of the ordinary that you would find when cruising the North Atlantic at this time of year.

Morning Bob, we had no storm damage because we were never in or around the storm. Captain Henrik did an outstanding job and kept us informed at all times.

There was talk of possibly staying in Halifax NS an extra day, but due to the direction Sandy was moving it was decided that we high tail it out of there and stay 2 days in St. John's NB, because we would be more protected there and then go on to Portland Maine. Unfortunately that meant we missed Bar Harbor.

There were some choppy seas and winds but they were occurring during the overnight hours, so it was rocking people to sleep.:D The weather we encountered was nothing out of the ordinary that you would find when cruising the North Atlantic at this time of year.

Thanks. For once I'll bet you're glad you are a fly-in cruiser and didn't have to be concered about your car.

Bob

Thanks. For once I'll bet you're glad you are a fly-in cruiser and didn't have to be concered about your car.

Bob

You got that right!:D

Some of the folks got off in Portland Maine and flew home. We looked at that but our flight would have had a connection in Newark at a cost of $1054pp.:eek: We decided to take our chances and stick with our original plan.

You got that right!:D

Some of the folks got off in Portland Maine and flew home. We looked at that but our flight would have had a connection in Newark at a cost of $1054pp.:eek: We decided to take our chances and stick with our original plan.

HI Patti..I see you're from NE Ohio--I'm in North Royalton. Were you on Brilliance? Sorry, I didn't read more posts to find out, but it sounded like you were from your last couple posts...I have a friend who is a cabin steward on the Brilliance and his reports sounded the same as yours. Glad you had a safe cruise!

HI Patti..I see you're from NE Ohio--I'm in North Royalton. Were you on Brilliance? Sorry, I didn't read more posts to find out, but it sounded like you were from your last couple posts...I have a friend who is a cabin steward on the Brilliance and his reports sounded the same as yours. Glad you had a safe cruise!

Hi Stacy and yes we are from just east of Cleveland by the lake. We were on the Brilliance cruise that departed Quebec on 10/22. We had a wonderful cruise.

Patti: you should have seen the photos of the waves coming ashore in Lake Erie:eek: Unbelievable that far inland could be that affected by the winds!

I saw those photos and waves coming ashore onto I-90 is nothing unusual when Lake Erie is agitated, especially during the winter. The height of the waves produced by Sandy were slightly higher than usual.

Patti: you should have seen the photos of the waves coming ashore in Lake Erie:eek: Unbelievable that far inland could be that affected by the winds!

Big waves were seen even further away. The waves were impressive here on the western shore of Lake Michigan. What a storm!

I drive that stretch of the shoreway every day, and see waves over the guardrail often. That bit of roadway is actually a bridge over an inlet so it can get a bit dicey in cold weather.

Best wishes to our east coast friends that you're faring well.

Archived