Damage To Dock at Cape Liberty?

Snookum

I wasn't worried about the terminal itself, just the parked cars and people coming home Sunday. The terminal can handle flooding I'm sure.

As for the next cruise, I would expect it would go out as normal, but the infrastructure, i.e. highways etc. may still be clearing. From what I'm seeing, there is a heck of a lot of debris all over the place. Not to mention the airline side of it. If I was booked, you can bet I'd still be at the pier on time.:D

We are currently on Brilliance docked in Portland Maine.

The Captain informed us yesterday evening at 6PM, after talking with shore side in Bayonne, that the infrastructure would be ready for us upon our arrival on Friday morning.

It's not the terminal that is of concern. The Coast Guard must give us clearance to enter the port. They must check the sea lane to ensure that there is nothing below the surface of the water to do harm to the ship. We are hoping to hear good news today.

Thanks for the update Patti. I'll be interested to hear about how your ship weathered the storm.

Bob

Has there been any update on the damage to the cars parked there? Are most of them totaled? Are they drivable?

This is my question too. I am sitting up on deck 12 on the explorer in Bermuda. Our van was parked at Port Liberty. A nice close and convienent distance to the ship. I have no idea if we even have a van anymore. It will be interesting getting back to Toronto without one.

This is my question too. I am sitting up on deck 12 on the explorer in Bermuda. Our van was parked at Port Liberty. A nice close and convienent distance to the ship. I have no idea if we even have a van anymore. It will be interesting getting back to Toronto without one.

Other who are posting from the ship said there was going to be a meeting today on the ship, with information about damaged cars. Did that meeting not happen?

Tropical Weather Update

November 1, 2012 - 10:00 a.m. E.S.T

At this time, Royal Caribbean has not altered the boarding time or itinerary of any ship that departs from Cape Liberty, Bayonne, New Jersey, tomorrow or Sunday.

However, we encourage guests sailing on Brilliance of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas monitor this website for any additional updates.

Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor the situation in the northeast and will update this information again tomorrow, Friday, November 2, at 10:00 a.m. E.S.T.

Hi All,

My son is on the Explorer which is returning Sunday. I have been doing research here at home to find out about their vehicle. I spoke to a nice lady from Central Parking today. This is the company that runs the parking lot. She said that there was "significant" damage to cars. They will have extra attendants and the manager available when the cruise ships return to port. She said that they are helping people try to get their cars started and fill out paperwork for those that cannot be driven. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it doesn't look good. I am going to be at the parking lot on Sunday morning to assist my son, his wife, and another couple with them, get home. Also, you should be prepared because there is no power, which means no gasoline. I also called AAA because that is our insurance carrier. They said that if we are able to get a tow truck dispatched, they will only tow cars a maximum of 10 miles because there is not a lot of gas for the tow trucks either. Bottom line, if you can get someone to help you get home, they should come prepared. I am going to take a 5 gallon jug of gasoline with me as this is over a 400 mile round trip. I know that people are waiting in gas lines in Pennsylvania near Stroudsburg which is along Route 80, 70 miles from Bayonne, NJ. Also, if you need to leave your car there, you may need garbage bags to remove personal items, which may be wet. Water and some granola bars as you may be there a while. Remember, it is only a car. People in that area lost their homes, some their jobs, and some their lives. Take care and be safe.

Thanks for tje update! It sounds like RCL is not "filling in the blanks" as usual.... We are sailing (I hope) out of Bayinne on Dec 13th and even now we are wondering what we may find when we get to NJ. Although I have not seen too much on the news re: port, I find it hard to believe that the terminal didn't receive water damage. Will be looking forward to hearing from the cruisers returning back this weekend as to what they found.

We are due to sail on the 4th on Explorer. Not sure whether or not we should drive there as we had planned. Kinda concerned that it will be chaos trying to park when so many cars are already stranded in the parking spaces. For those of you who normally drive to the pier, are you still considering it or are you considering an alternate means of transportation?

While I feel terrible for these people coming back to devestation, I need to think about what we are going to do. We have lived the past week without power and dealing with the storm, and I need a break! I hope that the passengers coming off do not find too much damage to their vehicles....

We are due to sail on the 4th on Explorer. Not sure whether or not we should drive there as we had planned. Kinda concerned that it will be chaos trying to park when so many cars are already stranded in the parking spaces. For those of you who normally drive to the pier, are you still considering it or are you considering an alternate means of transportation?

While I feel terrible for these people coming back to devestation, I need to think about what we are going to do. We have lived the past week without power and dealing with the storm, and I need a break! I hope that the passengers coming off do not find too much damage to their vehicles....

We are parking at Premier Parking and taking a shuttle over. We had planned this for a couple weeks. Hopefully all is good at that lot. I still think traffic will be horrible, at least for a while. Maybe the ship will delay departure to cover the issue.

The Brilliance is now docked at Cape Liberty.

Gwen :)

What no one knows is how many cars were affected. It could be 20 or it could be 200. And it could be only some water damage to the floorboards and some could have water damage to the engines. It depends on how the water came in and how far from the water cars were parked, which none of us know.

The dock at Cape Liberty is concrete and has been there for years. It would take a cat 4 hurricane to damage it.

Someone posted (I think on our roll call) that the port and pier were just fine about an hour ago.

I wish people would quit panicking and jumping to conclusions. There's so much misinformation due to "rumors".

I got this reply from the Bayonne Mayor's office this evening.

There was flooding at the cruise port facility. The extent of the damage depends on where the vehicle was parked.

Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:59 PM

To: Mayors.Office@BayNJ.org

Subject: From BayonneNJ.org

Any reports of cars being flooded at the cruise port?? Friends coming home on Explorer Sunday want to know how their car fared. Thank you kindly, Becci

Gee, I thought everything was just fine. Who is it that is jumping to conclusions?

There is no gas in NJ or Staten Island, people are waiting over 3 hrs online and now they are limiting to 10 gallons per car. Not sure if Bayonne has any power. Also, they just opened the harbor last night for tankers to bring in gas, not sure if that means any ports are open yet. The Staten Island Ferry still isn't running. Good luck to you all.

There is no gas in NJ or Staten Island, people are waiting over 3 hrs online and now they are limiting to 10 gallons per car. Not sure if Bayonne has any power. Also, they just opened the harbor last night for tankers to bring in gas, not sure if that means any ports are open yet. The Staten Island Ferry still isn't running. Good luck to you all.

The Brilliance is docked at Cape Liberty right now.

The dock at Cape Liberty is concrete and has been there for years. It would take a cat 4 hurricane to damage it.

Someone posted (I think on our roll call) that the port and pier were just fine about an hour ago.

I wish people would quit panicking and jumping to conclusions. There's so much misinformation due to "rumors".

Isn't this just as much a rumor as anything else?? :confused:

Gee, I thought everything was just fine. Who is it that is jumping to conclusions?

I never said I thought "everything" was fine. I did say the port itself was probably fine, but I never said the cars were. I did say other posters were told so. The pier is concrete which is what I referred to, if you read my statement. After all the title of this thread is "damage to the dock". The dock is where the ship is tied up. But those deciding EVERYTHING has to be the worst case scenario drive me crazy. I guess I like to look at the glass half full. Some posters just seem to want the news to be bad.

I never said I thought "everything" was fine. I did say the port itself was probably fine, but I never said the cars were. I did say other posters were told so. The pier is concrete which is what I referred to, if you read my statement. After all the title of this thread is "damage to the dock". The dock is where the ship is tied up. But those deciding EVERYTHING has to be the worst case scenario drive me crazy. I guess I like to look at the glass half full. Some posters just seem to want the news to be bad.

So you are posting what you heard from someone who heard something from someone else. Yes, I know how inaccuate information takes on a life of its own.

Thanks for tje update! It sounds like RCL is not "filling in the blanks" as usual.... We are sailing (I hope) out of Bayinne on Dec 13th and even now we are wondering what we may find when we get to NJ. Although I have not seen too much on the news re: port, I find it hard to believe that the terminal didn't receive water damage. Will be looking forward to hearing from the cruisers returning back this weekend as to what they found.

Fyi...not royals fault...and they do NOT own nor operate the parking

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

Those poor cruisers, not only were there rough seas and shaky circumstances, but to have to come home to cars that won't be serviceable, what a trip!!!

We're leaving on the Explorer on Sunday and are driving in 2 different cars (family cruise). I'm wondering if there will be parking availablity at all at the port? How can I contact the powers that be to get some info? Good luck to your son and your family.

Hi All,

My son is on the Explorer which is returning Sunday. I have been doing research here at home to find out about their vehicle. I spoke to a nice lady from Central Parking today. This is the company that runs the parking lot. She said that there was "significant" damage to cars. They will have extra attendants and the manager available when the cruise ships return to port. She said that they are helping people try to get their cars started and fill out paperwork for those that cannot be driven. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it doesn't look good. I am going to be at the parking lot on Sunday morning to assist my son, his wife, and another couple with them, get home. Also, you should be prepared because there is no power, which means no gasoline. I also called AAA because that is our insurance carrier. They said that if we are able to get a tow truck dispatched, they will only tow cars a maximum of 10 miles because there is not a lot of gas for the tow trucks either. Bottom line, if you can get someone to help you get home, they should come prepared. I am going to take a 5 gallon jug of gasoline with me as this is over a 400 mile round trip. I know that people are waiting in gas lines in Pennsylvania near Stroudsburg which is along Route 80, 70 miles from Bayonne, NJ. Also, if you need to leave your car there, you may need garbage bags to remove personal items, which may be wet. Water and some granola bars as you may be there a while. Remember, it is only a car. People in that area lost their homes, some their jobs, and some their lives. Take care and be safe.

I guess we will all find out Sunday soon enough. :rolleyes:

We just have to have a lot of patience on Sunday. I am sure it will be hectic to say the least. I still think they may delay it a couple hours, so the ones with damaged cars have time to deal with that. I am sure they are in for a rough time of it.:(

Gwen :)

Archived