What exactly is a "Chair Hog?"

What do you consider a "Chair Hog?"  

438 members have voted

1. 1. What do you consider a "Chair Hog?"

• Someone who is up at 6 am to throw a towel on a chair and is not seen until noon.
    • Someone who puts a towel on their chair, grabs some lunch, goes back to the room,ect.
    • Someone who leaves their stuff on their chair and takes a quick potty break.
    • Both # 1 and # 2

merion mom, I agree that some type of cubbie or locker system would help out for those who just want to use the pools and hot tub. So that leaves you to just running to get something to eat or to use the bathroom, just do not do them at the same time.

Thinking back to our last cruise on the Navigator, maybe it was the weather but chairs were always available for those who wanted them. we were on deck both at sea days and had good chairs and there were plenty around us as people came and went.

Nature takes care of the chair hogs on cruises thru the Hawaiian Islands...at least once daily - but sometimes twice...there will be a brief hard rain....those around the pool grab their belongings and those who aren't around have their soggy towels removed by the staff. Either way when the sun comes back 5 minutes later it's back to 6 am - chairs are vacant and everyone gets a chance to sit where they want to.

Funny how that works out.

What about turning the towel guys into Chair Maitre'd's? Instead of standing around all day in front of the towel bin not doing anything. When your COMPLETE group arrives at the ppol area, you will be shown to the best available chair grouping. If you need to leave the pool area, you check in with the maitre'd who will place a time card on your chair (for example: at 1 pm you decide you want to head to your room, check in with the maitre'd, he/she places a 1:30 card on your chair). If you are back before 1:30, the maitre'd removes the card and the chair is still yours. If it is after 1:30, the Maitre'd picks up your items, places them in the "pick up" area, and gives the chair to someone else. Of course, they'd need quite a few of these maitre'd's on "at sea" days.

This resolves the issue for the person who is still in the pool area either in the pool, at the bar, participating in a pool side event, going to the bathroom (they are right there). Because if you are still in the pool area, the chair is yours. If you are going into Windjammer for lunch, a half hour is plenty of time to eat.

If you are going anywhere else on the ship, you are leaving the pool area to do something else and you give up your chair.

Of course, this would now require another group to tip, but think of the frustration it will avoid.

I'm sure there are some holes in this idea, but it's just an idea.

Now, I have to come clean. On our last cruise, after 6 days of not being able to get a chair, I buckled. We placed a bunch of our stuff on 2 chairs (I wasn't overly hogging-we have 2 kids and I only took chairs for DH and I) and left for an hour. We spent most of the day by the pool, but when it came time for us to go do something else, we took all our stuff with us.

Wow, do I feel better now that I admitted it!

Hi, my name is Boatbunny and I am a chair hog. (well, only once!)

My opinion FWIW is that the only acceptable way to reserve a chair is to have your butt in it. If you get up, let someone else have the chair. If everyone did this, there would be plenty of seats all day long. Since no two people can agree on an acceptable reason or length of time for saving a chair, completely eliminating the practice seems best. I have never moved anyone's stuff to take the seat, but then I should not be put in that position.
I am beginning to think this is right, in the pool all you need is one spot to put things, you do not have a right to a chair (which is for lounging) anymore than the person just geting there!:rolleyes:

Just because we both paid for the cruise, what gives you the right to have the best chairs all day long. Move around a little bit and share the fun. A chair hog is someone who hogs a chair all day long. And still manages to go to lunch, take a nap, play bingo, etc., as long as they are back within a half hour.

If you are in the pool, then I won't take your chair, however, if you go to lunch, take your stuff with you.

I voted for one because if you run back for something you forgot or to go potty-or grab adrink... it's okay- I like the half hour rule. RCCL always says they will remove towels etc that are left but they never do it. On out last cruise there were chairs that were only occupied for a half hour all day. I wanted to take the towels and let the pigs pay for them.

If people would just be polite everyone could have one when they wanted it.

A chair hog to me would be the person who throws their belongings on one or more chairs early in the day and then doesn't return for hours. OR the person who decides to go elsewhere on the ship for longer than 30 minutes doing whatever.

There wouldn't be chair hogs if there were more pool/deck space and chairs available. I know that is a tough order to fill.. but I really feel that anyone who wants to go sit by a pool at any time of the day should be able to find a chair.

The only cruise I had a problem with was Disney.. the pool area was always packed and it was very difficult to find an open chair - impossible if you needed 2 :rolleyes:

A chair hog to me would be the person who throws their belongings on one or more chairs early in the day and then doesn't return for hours. OR the person who decides to go elsewhere on the ship for longer than 30 minutes doing whatever.

Very well said......I agree

Alas, BBS, that is NOT the topic of this thread. You surely should have spent a day or two reading the posts. You would have realized that what is at issue here is the DEFINITION of a Chair Hog: what behavior *is* and *is not* hogging.

But thanks for checking in. :D

Carol

Archived