What exactly is a "Chair Hog?"

What do you consider a "Chair Hog?"  

438 members have voted

1. 1. What do you consider a "Chair Hog?"

• Someone who is up at 6 am to throw a towel on a chair and is not seen until noon.
    • Someone who puts a towel on their chair, grabs some lunch, goes back to the room,ect.
    • Someone who leaves their stuff on their chair and takes a quick potty break.
    • Both # 1 and # 2

If a thief feels like you are still present and watching your items, they tend to move on.

Are we talking about someone moving the belongings of a chair hog, or actually stealing the items? Is this the latest punishment for supposed chair hogs?

Maybe so, buts what's wrong with turning your eyes occasionally in the direction of your chair. I don't see where that requires a lot of effort or "worry". :confused: I guess it is just something vigilant people do. When we leave our belongings on a beach chair, we don't blindly accept things will be left alone. ... Careless and trusting folks are the ones often left wondering where their stuff went.

Harsh words - and I see your point - but typically people do not bring items of value with them to the pool... usually a t-shirt, flip-flops, a towel, suntan lotion and book. I can't imagine what needs guarding from the above, as I can't see what would be of interest for a prospective thief. On a beach, you would typically have more items of value with you (credit cards, camera) and would naturally be more vigilant.

All that aside, I usually cannot find a lounge chair by the pool anyways, and almost always end up on the higher deck, away from the pool ( a constant victim of chair-hogging, I suppose). I cannot even see my chair from the pool, so it is not possible to guard my belongings from the pool.

Careless and trusting folks are the ones often left wondering where their stuff went.

In my case its not carelessness and everything I bring to the pool I would like to leave with it...shoes, hats the whole nine yards. Im not bringing credit cards and such but by the same token I dont want my cheap sunglasses stolen either. Call me crazy but I dont like any of my stuff stolen. Stuff being taken wasnt my main gripe...I have had people move my stuff saying they didnt think I was returning...

I just came across a "Cruise Ship Dictionary." It has, among other things, a definition for "chair hogs" LOL!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/cruiseterms.html

After looking up chair hogs look up deck chair it is too funny!!

hehehe, Brig is defined by the place that unruley teens and there parents are held until next port of call..:)

Guest OBAYbee
hehehe, Brig is defined by the place that unruley teens and there parents are held until next port of call..:)

LOL

I hadn't read the whole thing before posting it.

Trough= Buffet LMAO!

You should not have to "protect" your chair and you should be free to jump in the pool, or run to the washroom without worrying that someone is going to come along and take your chair.:mad:

OK but why should I have to be at the mercy of someone who drops their crud on a chair at 6am only to trot off back to bed? Why should I have to sit away from the pool or in the recceses of the shade? What if I want to swim and sit in the sun? Sorry but how am I supposed to know who is in the pool and who is sleeping in their room. People are rude to the point of obnoxious. "Well I paid for my cruise I can reserve a chair all day long". Yes you should have to watch your stuff. Not every moment but glance over now and again, it doesn't hurt you one bit. I have sat on the deck waiting for a chair while they were occupied with people saving 10 at a time or have one towel dropped on them by rude people who think that it's no big deal if I want to use the pool too. Do I get upset about this? Yes, it has happened to me more times than I care to count. I have had to sit in the back of theaters because people grab whole rows and get very upset if you dare sit in "their" reserved space, only to have no one show up for that space. I am sorry you do not want to watch your things. I agree you should be able to swim and trust no one is going to sit in your chair but unless and until people grow up and learn to share you might have to watch your stuff and I have to stand around for half an hour and wait to see if someone is in the darn chair.

I usually just throw the towel or shoes on another chair hogs chair. Usually their is one right next to the one you want to use. I figure that towels and shoes can share chairs and maybe their owners might even know each other. If they don't they will have something to commisserate with each other about later.

I usually just throw the towel or shoes on another chair hogs chair. Usually their is one right next to the one you want to use. I figure that towels and shoes can share chairs and maybe their owners might even know each other. If they don't they will have something to commisserate with each other about later.
LOL That is a great suggestion!

BTW, was just on the AOS 5/22 sailing, with 5 ports of call. Chair hogging was never an issue, even on the one sailing day (and it was a hot sunny day). I'm sure there were some hogs, but my point is that there were always chairs available, be them by the pool(s) or on the top deck. It was so hot that I parked my lounge chair (a "park-a-lounger") on the top deck perpendicular to the railing so I could get a stiff breeze. One foot in from the rail and it was steaming hot. The breeze was a saviour.

OK but why should I have to be at the mercy of someone who drops their crud on a chair at 6am only to trot off back to bed? Why should I have to sit away from the pool or in the recceses of the shade? What if I want to swim and sit in the sun? Sorry but how am I supposed to know who is in the pool and who is sleeping in their room. People are rude to the point of obnoxious. "Well I paid for my cruise I can reserve a chair all day long". Yes you should have to watch your stuff. Not every moment but glance over now and again, it doesn't hurt you one bit. I have sat on the deck waiting for a chair while they were occupied with people saving 10 at a time or have one towel dropped on them by rude people who think that it's no big deal if I want to use the pool too. Do I get upset about this? Yes, it has happened to me more times than I care to count. I have had to sit in the back of theaters because people grab whole rows and get very upset if you dare sit in "their" reserved space, only to have no one show up for that space. I am sorry you do not want to watch your things. I agree you should be able to swim and trust no one is going to sit in your chair but unless and until people grow up and learn to share you might have to watch your stuff and I have to stand around for half an hour and wait to see if someone is in the darn chair.

That has been my experience....

I eye ball a chair for about half an hour. If no one comes, I remove their stuff and sit. If they have the nerve to say anything to me an hour later when they come to reclaim their chair I tell them it was empty when I sat down, or point out the pool rules that say no saving (if available) or pretend I don't speak English (this doesn't work if you are reading an English language book but I have been known to carry a magazine with a foreign language to hold up if they don't actually catch me reading (lol)

Tucker in Texas

Nliedel, Does that mean that if you have a chair that you will be watching it? How many times during the day will you have to get out of the pool to keep people off the chair. Every five minutes, every ten minutes. Jumping in and out of the pool is going to get old if people start taking chairs because they aren't occupied. Some people will just wait a few minutes. That would be their time limit not 1/2 hour or 1 hour. I don't have a chair unless I'm at the pool so don't take my chair. If I want to grag a bite to eat or go to the bathroom, I shouldn't have to worry about my belongings.

I think you chair hog police are wound a little to tight. Yes something should be done about the 6am creatures that come out and reserve chairs without using them for the next 5 hours....that RCCI needs to get on the ball with. Sorry but if I go to the pool and get a chair and decide I want to swim in the pool for an hour or two, or go to the windjammer to get soemething to eat (and want to bring it back to my chair to eat it on)....my stuff better still be on that chair when I get back or soemone is going to be very upset (and it aint gonna be me :D ) The ordasity for someone else to start policing the ship and moving other peoples personal property is 100 times more rude than a chair hog ever could be. If i'm in the immediate vicintiy of the pool area and my stuff is on a chair.....I dont care how long i'm out of it...that chairs is still mine. We both paid to be there...i'm just gonna be the one with the chair :rolleyes: .

While I am not an advocate of chair-saving for large groups (that may or may not show up to use them), I do believe in the "first come -first served" theory. If DW and I get out by the pool at a reasonable time (usually by 8:30 - 9:00), we are usually able to get chairs in a decent location. We usually occupy the chairs the entire day but do leave on occasion for the pool/hot tubs and yes, even lunch. We don't consider ourselves chair hogs and don't like the idea that we have to be more and more vigilent of losing the seats to the chair police. We are never gone for more than 1/2 hour but seems that lately some of the chair police have become more aggressive.

But lets get back to the "first come - first served" theory (otherwise known as "you snooze, you lose"). Why are people so surprised when they stroll out to the main pool deck at 11:00 and find all the prime location chairs taken (whether it be with actual butts in them or not)?

Life is full of trade-offs. Chairs in a particular spot are important to me so I trade getting up earlier on sea days to get them. I know, I know - if everyone played by the rules of no chair-saving, there always would be chairs available. I guess I look at this thing realistically and strategize accordingly.

As mentioned by several people earlier, numbered cubbyholes would be the answer. If they had banks on either side of the ship with maybe 100-150 cubbyholes with numbers and a numbered removeable tag on each one, it would change everything. If you leave your seat, you place your belongings in a compartment, take the tag with you and leave. When you come back, replace the tag, and take your stuff to one of the many empty seats available. Signs would be posted stating that stuff on unoccupied seats would be placed in a compartment. Passengers could move the stuff, or if they were fearful of a confrontation with bullies, then they could ask the pool butler to move the stuff. The pool butlers would have been instructed to immediately comply with such requests.

The chair hogs would be forced to follow the "rules", because it wouldn't take long for them to want to avoid the embarrassing and time-consuming task of going through 150-200 compartments trying to find their stuff.

All it requires is for cruiseline personnel to have the testicular fortitude to implement such a simple policy which would indeed eliminate chairhogging.

Alle

The only chair hogs I notice are those who place their book and towel on a chair at 6am and show up at 1pm to claim their spot. Other than that, if you're in the immediate area and the chair looks used (messy towel, used book, squeezed sunscreen), I figure you're enjoying your cruise and are either in the pool, grabbing some pizza or talking to someone on deck. And that's fine by me.

The only people who truly bother me are those who pull their chair up to the edge of the pool and complain when they get splashed. That's such a duh moment for me. You want the luxury of dipping your toesies without moving but God forbid someone (like a child having a good time) splashes you. There are so many chairs out there and so much sun. Must you complain when a child is swimming in a pool?

Archived