What exactly is a "Chair Hog?"

What do you consider a "Chair Hog?"  

438 members have voted

1. 1. What do you consider a "Chair Hog?"

• Someone who is up at 6 am to throw a towel on a chair and is not seen until noon.
    • Someone who puts a towel on their chair, grabs some lunch, goes back to the room,ect.
    • Someone who leaves their stuff on their chair and takes a quick potty break.
    • Both # 1 and # 2

Ok, I'll be the foolish one and ask. What is "winkie-tinking"?

In the Ryan and Tatum O'Neal movie "Paper Moon", Madeline Kahn played an airhead character named Trixie Delight who used the phrase "needing to go winky tink" as a euphemism for needing to avail herself of the powder room.

Allen

In the Ryan and Tatum O'Neal movie "Paper Moon"' date=' Madeline Kahn played an airhead character named Trixie Delight who used the phrase "needing to go winky tink" as a euphemism for needing to avail herself of the powder room.

Allen[/quote']

Ahhhhhhhhh, ok. Guess I missed that movie.

It was a 1973 movie. You were probably just a kid' date=' if you were even born yet. Sigh, geriatric sigh. Now I feel ancient. :(

Allen[/quote']

LOL LOL LOL

I wish. If that movie was out in 73, it was two years after I graduated high school and the year I got married. LOL LOL Now we can be ancient together.

:D :D :D

It's a very good movie! One of my favorites as a kid, and one of my children's favs, too.

Also contains the great exchange between Addie and her grifter father/family friend:

Mose: "I'm not going to go off and leave you! I have scruples! You know what those are, don't you?"

Addie: "Well, all I know is: if you got 'em, they must be somebody else's!"

If you think about it, kind of relates to the chairhog issue too! ;)

I almost voted for 1 and 2 but stayed with 1 only. I read 2 at first that you did all that a once and were gone for a couple hours, then re read and if you sit for a couple hours, run to get something to eat, return, run to get more sunscrean, return etc then that is OK.

What about the person who goes into the pool, then the hot tub and then the pool again, might be out of the chair for an hour or more but I would not call him a chair hog, can't expect someone to pack up to swim.

What about the person who goes into the pool, then the hot tub and then the pool again, might be out of the chair for an hour or more but I would not call him a chair hog, can't expect someone to pack up to swim.
Well, this is the reason that I support the idea of "cubbies" or shelving for people to throw their stuff on. Jacquelyn is right that throwing someone's towel on the ground is somewhat antisocial, but if you are truly not in the chair for over an hour, you don't need that chair. Your towel doesn't "need" a chair; it needs some place comfy, cozy, dry and clean to wait for you. Chairs are used for sitting and lying - a person can't do that in a cubby or on a shelf. See? Towel = shelf; Person = chair. If every chair were occupied ONLY by someone who wants to SIT or LIE in or on it, there would always be chairs available. People shouldn't need a chair merely as a storage device.

JMHO YMMV

Carol

Well, this is the reason that I support the idea of "cubbies" or shelving for people to throw their stuff on. Jacquelyn is right that throwing someone's towel on the ground is somewhat antisocial, but if you are truly not in the chair for over an hour, you don't need that chair. Your towel doesn't "need" a chair; it needs some place comfy, cozy, dry and clean to wait for you. Chairs are used for sitting and lying - a person can't do that in a cubby or on a shelf. See? Towel = shelf; Person = chair. If every chair were occupied ONLY by someone who wants to SIT or LIE in or on it, there would always be chairs available. People shouldn't need a chair merely as a storage device.

JMHO YMMV

Carol

You crack me up merion mom!!

How far are you from St Joes? We live 1 block from st Joe's

Ok so maybe 1/2 hour is too harsh, but I think an hour is long enough - and you should have been in the pool, or in the buffet line. I was really steamed on my last cruise to watch so many people trying to find a chair late morning and early afternoon... more than half the chairs empty but towels there even though Carnival charges for lost towels (do they really I wonder).

Then, amazingly, as the afternoon progressed many chairs and towels still there - people off to dinner leaving them behind.

Man some of you really get worked up over this chair hog thing. Like I said in another post about this very subject, maybe the cruise lines should start renting deck chairs like they did in the days gone by era or give the option of renting. Ten bucks and the chair is your for the day. Would shut everyone up except the cheapskates!!!!;)

If you want to see real chair-hogging in action, go to Las Vegas. We were at the Mirage a couple of weeks ago, and the Hogs had it down to a science.

Too right. We were in Vegas a couple of years ago and saw a regular donnybrook between the "chair hogs" and the "claim jumpers". The hogs returned to find their chairs occupied by the jumpers. Raised voices escalated to name-calling, cussin', and shoving and from there moved on to hair pulling, t-shirt ripping and punching. As a note, I will stipulate that alcohol was DEFINITELY a factor in this incident. Hotel security showed up and ejected all parties concerned. We were all in agreement that this was the best cheap entertainment we'd seen yet in Vegas. People pay hundreds of dollars to see top prize fights are over faster than this one was.

On my past Mariner cruise we went out at about 10am and found rows and rows of chairs with towels on them. We followed a NY couple who started moving peoples towels. About an hour after we were in the chair someone came and said the chairs were theirs, we said NO they are not and pointed out the sign that said " No saving chairs, and the deck patrol came to our aid. The next day the Captain did make an announcment about NO saving of chairs for more than 15 min, or else your tuff would be removed by the deck patrol...WAY TO GO CAPTIAN!

Tim

On my past Mariner cruise we went out at about 10am and found rows and rows of chairs with towels on them. We followed a NY couple who started moving peoples towels. About an hour after we were in the chair someone came and said the chairs were theirs, we said NO they are not and pointed out the sign that said " No saving chairs, and the deck patrol came to our aid. The next day the Captain did make an announcment about NO saving of chairs for more than 15 min, or else your tuff would be removed by the deck patrol...WAY TO GO CAPTIAN!

Tim

AMEN! This is how it should work!

Tim

What you decribed is how the system should work and it would be nice if the cruise lines did have enough staff around the decks to insure that this is how it works.

Just a thought. If you are not in your chair, are you not in the pool or surrounding area to view someone trying to obtain your chair? If not, I suggest you have neglected protecting it and it is up for grabs. Just my opinion.

You should not have to "protect" your chair and you should be free to jump in the pool, or run to the washroom without worrying that someone is going to come along and take your chair.:mad:

A chair hog is the person in the chair YOU want to sit in.:D He/she is not officially a hog, however, until his/her posterior breaks contact with the chair. In this case you are free to rip the towel and personal belongings from the chair and sit down, after all, it is YOUR vacation and how dare someone else try to ruin it for you.:mad:

You should not have to "protect" your chair and you should be free to jump in the pool, or run to the washroom without worrying that someone is going to come along and take your chair.:mad:

Maybe so, buts what's wrong with turning your eyes occasionally in the direction of your chair. I don't see where that requires a lot of effort or "worry". :confused: I guess it is just something vigilant people do. When we leave our belongings on a beach chair, we don't blindly accept things will be left alone. If a thief feels like you are still present and watching your items, they tend to move on. That's all I'm trying to say. Careless and trusting folks are the ones often left wondering where their stuff went.

Ok, the other day I posted asking if anyone had seen my much ridiculed "notes" that indicate when someone is taking a SHORT break from a chair for the bathroom, dip in the pool etc....well, I found the contact information and ordered a booklet!!! Hooray for me!

If anyone wants the information ( the product is called "Empty Chair" oddly enough) I will forward it. I didnt put the information in the post because im not here to advertise for someone else's product...I have the contact info, let me know.

Bon Voyage!!

Archived