Jewelry Shops on board HAL?

jaguarstyper

I'm not much into Jewelry and aside from some watches and cufflinks, rarely buy it. I was wondering what your thoughts were on the shops on board HAL ships. On previous cruises, my ex-wife had purchased several pieces of jewelry and she was always very happy with what she purchased and the price paid. I did buy a decent watch several years ago on HAL and was happy with it. They told me there was a no questions asked 1 year return policy where they would fully refund the purchase if I was unhappy for any reason, even buyers remorse. It wasn't overly expensive but I thought that was a good policy.

My GF and I will be on HAL next month and she wants to buy some jewelry for Christmas gifts including some Tanzanite. Its not hugely expensive, but its not cheap either. She has not really found what she is looking for here at home. Do the ship shops have a decent selection with decent pricing, or should we consider Grand Cayman or Cozumel for some shopping?

Just interested in hearing some opinions. Does duty free come into play at all with jewelry? Again, I'm totally clueless when it comes to most jewelry.

I'm not much into Jewelry and aside from some watches and cufflinks, rarely buy it. I was wondering what your thoughts were on the shops on board HAL ships. On previous cruises, my ex-wife had purchased several pieces of jewelry and she was always very happy with what she purchased and the price paid. I did buy a decent watch several years ago on HAL and was happy with it. They told me there was a no questions asked 1 year return policy where they would fully refund the purchase if I was unhappy for any reason, even buyers remorse. It wasn't overly expensive but I thought that was a good policy.

My GF and I will be on HAL next month and she wants to buy some jewelry for Christmas gifts including some Tanzanite. Its not hugely expensive, but its not cheap either. She has not really found what she is looking for here at home. Do the ship shops have a decent selection with decent pricing, or should we consider Grand Cayman or Cozumel for some shopping?

Just interested in hearing some opinions. Does duty free come into play at all with jewelry? Again, I'm totally clueless when it comes to most jewelry.

Generally speaking, we look but don't buy. I dont say that there are no bargins to be had, but they are few and far between.

Like most things, if anything appeals to you, buy it, but by the same token your local jeweller is usully by far the better bet.

john

Keep in mind that anything you buy from the Shops on Board must be declared on your Custom's Declaration at the end of cruise. Some people get confused thinking because they bought it 'duty free' :) on the ship, they do not have to declare it.

It is counted toward your duty free exemption as something you bought 'out of the country' and are importing when you go back home.

You have a duty exemption of $800.00 pp Tim, one liter of alcohol and one carton of cigarettes or I believe, 20 cigars. When shopping in the USVI duty exemptions are doubled, but I know on our cruise we aren't going there.

That exemption is good for every 60 days. I needed to check on that as I did take a Monarch of the Seas cruise, barely within the 60 days.

Normally, I prefer to purchase my jewelry at home, from the jeweler I trust.

However, I have looked at some pieces on board, and purchased a couple over the years. There is no bargain, but they are not overly expensive, either. They are a nice remembrance of a special time.

Some of the diamonds, emeralds, sapphires, and pearls are very good. They don't carry much in the way of rubies.

Now, I am speaking of the major shop, not Mirabella. I don't care for the pieces in there. I find the stones are small, and you are paying a rather hefty price for intricate settings. Frankly, I don't care for the settings, either, but that's a matter of style preference.

We used to have a very nice jeweler that we bought from here at home. But he is long since gone -- old and closed shop.

Thankfully I do not need any more jewelery as I find the shops on the ships not really that good.

Merabella is way over priced for tiny stones.

Grand Cayman is very expensive.

Cozumel -- I wouldn't buy anything there.

Tell her to buy what pleases her BUT.... do not fall for the "Tanzanite is so limited". If its so limited then why is there so much of it? I did purchase a nice ring of tanzanite with diamonds. Never wear it! To each his own. I have always felt that if a piece of jewelry speaks to you, then try to get the best deal you can. I only buy from my local, trusted jeweler these days. Good luck and happy shopping!

Tell her to buy what pleases her BUT.... do not fall for the "Tanzanite is so limited". If its so limited then why is there so much of it? I did purchase a nice ring of tanzanite with diamonds. Never wear it! To each his own. I have always felt that if a piece of jewelry speaks to you, then try to get the best deal you can. I only buy from my local, trusted jeweler these days. Good luck and happy shopping!

I believe Tanzanite is limited. It is only being produced from one mine that I know of. Do you have other information to the contrary? I'll take that ring off your hands if you want to get rid of it:D.

We've heard the one mine in Tanzania and the so limited buy it now speech for years. We bought some because we think it a beautiful stone but we did not kid ourselves we were buying before it was 'too late' as it is 'so rare'. Before the economic crash, stores in St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Aruba, Curacao...... all the islands had cases full of it. Now, the jewelry shops have a fraction of all jewelry they used to carry.

I have never been tempted by any pieces we've seen in Mirabella on board but I've seen a few pretty pieces in the regular shops from time to time.

No bargains left on jewelry either on ships or the islands. Years ago...... yes, there were bargains to be had. But, IMO, those days are long gone and the selection is a fraction of what it used to be.

I enjoy browsing the shops on board but have never had anything pull me in...all I've bought is a Bulova watch that I love...when mine "died" on the Maasdam last January.

If I wanted/needed jewelry, which I do not, I would prefer to buy it from someone I trust at home.

I believe Tanzanite is limited. It is only being produced from one mine that I know of. Do you have other information to the contrary? I'll take that ring off your hands if you want to get rid of it:D.

I read on these boards about 5 years ago that there WERE more Tanzanite mines., but they got flooded.

IF this is the case, it would seem to me that this problem could be overcome.

john

Actually, I know quite a bit about Tanzanite (Blue Zoisite). It is indeed a rare gemstone, but the rarity comes in the quality being mined, not the quantity. The major original mines have indeed been flooded and unfortunately, many lost their lives during those floods. A great deal of the mining occurred from 1967 to 1972-3, at which time the Tanzanian government took over those mines.

Tanzanite is a relatively young gemstone (1967). It is really, REALLY soft, so it is not a good stone for rings, but is better in earrings and necklaces. All tanzanite is heat treated in order to get that great blue/violet hue. The lighter tanzanite is much less expensive and the darkest is quite pricey!

I have quite a few pieces of T, but one of my favorite pieces is a beautiful dark, dark tanzanite necklace that I purchased very inexpensively (for a dark blue/violet) on the Zaandam. Unfortunately, that was in 2000. Tanzanite has increased greatly in price over the last several years.

I would say really REALLY know what you are looking for and know your gemstones! Do a little looking online or in a local shop before you leave... That will give you a better idea of what you are seeing on the ship.

I hope you find a treasure!

That exemption is good for every 60 days. I needed to check on that as I did take a Monarch of the Seas cruise, barely within the 60 days.

You actually get one $800 exemption every 30 days (see page 12 of the brochure below).

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/kbyg_regulations.ctt/kbyg_regulations.pdf

I recently had two trips within 30 days, went over both times (okay, I'm a shopper), declared my actual totals, and wasn't charged any additional duty, although I was prepared to pay. The key is being honest; if you try to sneak stuff in, they can charge you the duty AND take the stuff. :eek:

Best jewelry advice is to NOT use any of the shops that they try to send you to in the ports, We have several stores we like in the side streets of St Maarten and have gotten great prices-including frames for our glasses--so MUCH cheaper than at home. Am going to buy more and stockpile.

LAst fall when we were in Grand Cayman we priced Rolexes--same price there as at home. I was surprised because years ago the was a huge price difference. Having said that, there really aren't any discount stores here. I did buy my first Rolex in the Caribbean and have to say it certainly GAINED in value over the years.

But --if you like it, GET IT! Nothing worse than getting home and wishing you had purchased it.

Debi

You actually get one $800 exemption every 30 days (see page 12 of the brochure below).

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/kbyg_regulations.ctt/kbyg_regulations.pdf

I recently had two trips within 30 days, went over both times (okay, I'm a shopper), declared my actual totals, and wasn't charged any additional duty, although I was prepared to pay. The key is being honest; if you try to sneak stuff in, they can charge you the duty AND take the stuff. :eek:

As stated, you can use the duty free exemption every thirty days but you must be out of the country at least 48 hours in order to qualify. We once were in Canada for 2 nights and when we cleared U.S. Customs at the airport to return home, the Inspector checked our incoming flight to see at exactly what time we entered Canada as we were just barely out of U.S. the 48 hours. (We cleared in Montreal prior to boarding our flight to Boston.) We just squeaked out the number of hours and he permitted us the exemption. I thought it odd he counted that we were 're-entering U.S.' at the time we cleared Customs as we certainly were not yet in U.S. I know he was right as once your clear Customs/Immigration, you are considered entered but yet we were standing in Montreal airport. :)

Actually, I know quite a bit about Tanzanite (Blue Zoisite). It is indeed a rare gemstone, but the rarity comes in the quality being mined, not the quantity. The major original mines have indeed been flooded and unfortunately, many lost their lives during those floods. A great deal of the mining occurred from 1967 to 1972-3, at which time the Tanzanian government took over those mines.

Tanzanite is a relatively young gemstone (1967). It is really, REALLY soft, so it is not a good stone for rings, but is better in earrings and necklaces. All tanzanite is heat treated in order to get that great blue/violet hue. The lighter tanzanite is much less expensive and the darkest is quite pricey!

I have quite a few pieces of T, but one of my favorite pieces is a beautiful dark, dark tanzanite necklace that I purchased very inexpensively (for a dark blue/violet) on the Zaandam. Unfortunately, that was in 2000. Tanzanite has increased greatly in price over the last several years.

I would say really REALLY know what you are looking for and know your gemstones! Do a little looking online or in a local shop before you leave... That will give you a better idea of what you are seeing on the ship.

I hope you find a treasure!

On the MOHS scale, tanzanite is softer than diamond, ruby and sapphire, for example, which are 'harder' stones, however, it is suitable for rings and many of us have worn our tanzanites safely for many years.

The most important about tanzanite is color, color, color........ :)

When the color is good, it is truly beautiful and that is what enables these jewelers to sell so many tons of it.

Impulse buying is the lifeblood of a Caribbean jeweler. :)

Now that I think of it, through the years, I have seen very little tanzanite in shipboard shops. Lots of topaz and citrine and emeralds but less tanzanite than I would have expected considering how 'hot' it was in the heyday of Caribbean jewelry shopping. The selection all over is now a fraction of what it was even 4-5 years ago. Now it is very limited by comparison.

On the MOHS scale, tanzanite is softer than diamond, ruby and sapphire, for example, which are 'harder' stones, however, it is suitable for rings and many of us have worn our tanzanites safely for many years.

The most important about tanzanite is color, color, color........ :)

When the color is good, it is truly beautiful and that is what enables these jewelers to sell so many tons of it.

Impulse buying is the lifeblood of a Caribbean jeweler. :)

Now that I think of it, through the years, I have seen very little tanzanite in shipboard shops. Lots of topaz and citrine and emeralds but less tanzanite than I would have expected considering how 'hot' it was in the heyday of Caribbean jewelry shopping. The selection all over is now a fraction of what it was even 4-5 years ago. Now it is very limited by comparison.

Include me in that "many of us!" comment with the "suitable for rings" jazz you wrote about... Tanzanite is More easily damaged if not put in a correct setting? Yes! Know what you are doing!! Tanzanite does crack easily.... Especially a setting that leaves it susceptible!

Glad you apparently know (or researched on my link) what you are talking about.:) it's great to have knowledge.

Remember, too, that loose gemstones enter the US duty-free. It's only when it's set that the duty allowance comes into consideration.

So, if you find that fabulous stone, at a great price, and you must have it---go ahead without worry about the duty on it. There isn't any! :D

Remember, too, that loose gemstones enter the US duty-free. It's only when it's set that the duty allowance comes into consideration.

So, if you find that fabulous stone, at a great price, and you must have it---go ahead without worry about the duty on it. There isn't any! :D

That is true but to carry the thought a step further.....

Do not think you can buy a ring (pendant, earrings etc), have the jeweler remove the stone from the setting and carry them separately with the intention of having the stones reset into that setting. If you are found to be carrying the setting, you lose the exemption and will be charged appropriate duty.

Buy the stone and get it set at home.

Include me in that "many of us!" comment with the "suitable for rings" jazz you wrote about... Tanzanite is More easily damaged if not put in a correct setting? Yes! Know what you are doing!! Tanzanite does crack easily.... Especially a setting that leaves it susceptible!

Glad you apparently know (or researched on my link) what you are talking about.:) it's great to have knowledge.

I would agree, tanzanite is a stone that should be placed in a protective setting whether it is in a ring or pendant because of the softness and it is also easily chipped. As far as the price of tanzanite I make jewelry as a hobby and buy my stones directly from the gem cutters in Thailand and the wholesale price of tanzanite has fallen quite a bit in the last five years. I used to have to pay around $300 a carat for good quality tanzanite, I can now buy it for around $100 to $150 a carat. There is a huge markup in any jewlery item, but I have not seen too many bargains aboard ship or in the various ports. I agree with the other posters that if you like something and are willing to pay the price, go ahead and buy it; but you will also probably have better luck with a local jeweler that will be around.

I would agree, tanzanite is a stone that should be placed in a protective setting whether it is in a ring or pendant because of the softness and it is also easily chipped. As far as the price of tanzanite I make jewelry as a hobby and buy my stones directly from the gem cutters in Thailand and the wholesale price of tanzanite has fallen quite a bit in the last five years. I used to have to pay around $300 a carat for good quality tanzanite, I can now buy it for around $100 to $150 a carat. There is a huge markup in any jewlery item, but I have not seen too many bargains aboard ship or in the various ports. I agree with the other posters that if you like something and are willing to pay the price, go ahead and buy it; but you will also probably have better luck with a local jeweler that will be around.

Interesting info about the price. Thx.

Archived