Nov 4, Allure of the Seas, Western Caribbean - A Review and Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

Coming to the party late, but wanted to express just how wonderful this review is and what a great group you, your mom and bf appear to be. We did Allure last June (eastern) and now my son is wanting to do Allure again this June (western) for his high school graduation. Started looking to see what I could find out about the western itinerary and came across this review:eek:.

Thanks so much for spending the time on your cruise to take all these pictures and then after to write this wonderful review. We are realizing we missed a lot last year and probably will do the western this year for him since his family cruising time may be limited in the future. Of course his older sister still goes, and hopefully he will stay close as you and your mom do.

Thank you and enjoy your next cruise. :D

Gambee. I just stumbled upon your review and have spent the last 4-5 days at work reading through all of it.

I loved it!!!

Thank you so very much for taking all of the time to put this together for us!!

You are APPRECIATED!!!

My friends and I will be sailing "Lady Allure" in May and we can't wait, and I cant wait to share your review with them!!

Best for the New Year and happy sailing!!!

I read that you went to Adrenaline Beach... looking at the map, I notice that it seems far away from the port. Was there a special reason to go there? Is there something special at that beach?

Thank you for your nice answers to everybody.

Not really, actually from what I've read it seems to be the worst beach (very rocky). That said Columbus beach is further away from Adrenaline.

The reason we went to that one was because I wanted to see the people doing the zipline and to avoid the market place.

Gambee I will most definitely email you when I start the LIVE review of Silhouette. No problem whatsoever

Thank you

I have enjoyed your review - thank you!! love the pics too -- corkey Carol

You're so very welcome.

Coming to the party late, but wanted to express just how wonderful this review is and what a great group you, your mom and bf appear to be. We did Allure last June (eastern) and now my son is wanting to do Allure again this June (western) for his high school graduation. Started looking to see what I could find out about the western itinerary and came across this review:eek:.

Thanks so much for spending the time on your cruise to take all these pictures and then after to write this wonderful review. We are realizing we missed a lot last year and probably will do the western this year for him since his family cruising time may be limited in the future. Of course his older sister still goes, and hopefully he will stay close as you and your mom do.

Thank you and enjoy your next cruise. :D

Thanks for stopping by. We are looking forward for the day that we get to do the eastern route, maybe in royal princess we will see. You should try doing the western, take advantage on his last year in high school. Once again thanks for commenting :)

Happy sailings

Gambee. I just stumbled upon your review and have spent the last 4-5 days at work reading through all of it.

I loved it!!!

Thank you so very much for taking all of the time to put this together for us!!

You are APPRECIATED!!!

My friends and I will be sailing "Lady Allure" in May and we can't wait, and I cant wait to share your review with them!!

Best for the New Year and happy sailing!!!

Thanks for sharing my review with your friends, hope you all have a blast aboard this wonderful ship.

I agree with you May can't get here soon enough ;) :D

Hi all!

gambee ~ who hoo I've finally finished reading your amazing review!:D I started reading on Jan 5 th! I'm going on Lady Allure in Nov so this has been so helpful & enticing! I'm also going on Breakaway but the week before you so I'll be able to relive that ship through your review too!

Thanks so much, that was a wonderful experience & I look forward to you & Mom's next cruise!

~ Jo ~ :)

I kept hearing about Gambee & Gambees Mom. I had to come and read this review. The details....PERFECTION! The pictures...EXQUISITE! The way you further communicated thru the written word....PRICELESS!! I have not read anything this long in over 10 years:eek:. My husband is right behind me. I noticed there were..posters who said it was the best since 2005, that Rocks:D!! Whichever company finds your talent will be fortunate to find someone with your passion and heart to communicate. I did not think I would read another Allure review. Been on one cruise, The Allure. Took our Mom's also (Mom's are the most giving:)) But had to finish this masterpiece. Tried to think of a new word for your review...Off The Chain!! (well that was more than one, lol) About the facial pictures, at first I wanted to see but now I kinda like the mystery. But, just so you know I dont think anyone here would care if you were a 2 headed purple alien with 3 toes. (yeah 3 toes, no balance or lots of martinis?;)) Your work IS THAT GOOD! :D. Now I can get back to reading about our next adventure on The Adventure. C-ya around Gambee & Gambee's Mom!! :p

Loved the review, thanks for sharing.

Hope you're not having any nightmares from your flowrider experiences!

Silly question - was that a real alligator or a imitation one?

Thoroughly enjoyed the review and the photos.

:)

DSC00251_zpsf9b27161.jpg

DSC00257_zps83bdac6f.jpg

DSC00271_zps1555b68b.jpg

DSC00272_zpsa3a61998.jpg

DSC00282_zps2e3c2741.jpg

DSC00285_zps16ff466e.jpg

well remember I told you I almost had an anxiety attack?

I love snorkeling and I am fascinated by marine life, but there are two big problems. I have a fear of both sharks (Selachophobia) and open water, it is actually more of a phobia for both of them. It is really a shame because if I wasn't I could probably be padi certified by now and able to dive with my cousin every weekend here at home.

These two fears are really holding me back, last year I went snorkeling in Key Largo and for a few minutes I thought I was going to drown. My cousin and uncle have both made several attempts to educate me on shark attacks, but all attempts have been futile. I really don't know where these fears come from.

Anyway so I was snorkeling out there and I pretty much the only person in the water within 50 feet, the water was a little cold and most people stayed in the beach area. When I saw the statue I went closer to take pictures, once I got there I noticed how deep it was, so I dove several times to get different samples. Once the novelty of the underwater statute had wore off, I notice that I was pretty far away and there was a lot of open space around me. To make matters worse I was surrounded by little fish, I think people feed them because they were very friendly, you even touch them if you like.

So I had a decision to make, do I go back from there or go to the barge (it was closer) and wait for people to go there so I could go back with them. I tend to feel better if there are people around me, I guess it decreases my chances of being eating alive. I made a quick dash and climbed up the barge, I waited there for a few minutes and no one was even getting in the water, let alone coming towards my area. I was set on waiting even for an hour, for someone to go there, but two factors made me change my mind. First and foremost mom would be worried and second I was starting to get seasick. So I gathered up some courage, dove in the water, closed my eyes and started swimming as fast as I could. I never get far from the coast line, but this the time the curiosity of the statue and the desire to photograph it took over me.

Once near the coastline I opened my eyes, gathered myself and relaxed for a little while. They say all fears can be conquered, I have tried many times with this one and no good has ever come out of it. If anything I think each attempt makes matters worse. It is actually very funny how can you can be so passionate about something and at the same time so terrified about it.

When I got out of the water I went straight to our spot to relax for a little while. The sad part is that when you look at the barge in the pictures, it is really not that far away… I think what affected me that day was how deep the water was, maybe 15 feet at some point?

But overall chankanaab offers good snorkeling for those not expecting much variety, there are plenty of small friendly fish, but not a lot more to see. I am sure most will be very happy there, bring some cereal from the ship to feed the fish. I read that in another review once, too bad I forgot to bring some that day.

Ok I've been quietly following along all this time (sorry I haven't posted to this great thread yet Gambee) but this post! I could not NOT say anything. I am the same way! I love fish, I love the ocean, I love pretty blue water, and I love the idea of snorkeling, but once I get out there I am terrified! When I was a preteen, my family went on a Mexican riviera cruise. We went snorkeling in Cabo (I think if I remember correctly). The water was pretty rough and I was complaining how there was no fish. Later I turned around while I have my face in the water and saw how close I was getting to a large rock that was jutting out of the water. There was all types of sea life growing on it and fish swimming around it. I screamed and got a bunch of seawater in my mouth and I swam as fast as I could back to the beach. It scared me so much I don't know why!

Anyway, I'm still finishing up this thread. This is a great review and I'm very looking forward to my time on Allure in March!

Hi all!

gambee ~ who hoo I've finally finished reading your amazing review!:D I started reading on Jan 5 th! I'm going on Lady Allure in Nov so this has been so helpful & enticing! I'm also going on Breakaway but the week before you so I'll be able to relive that ship through your review too!

Thanks so much, that was a wonderful experience & I look forward to you & Mom's next cruise!

hi Jo:

remember me? we shared a cruise to Alaska on the Infinity but never had the opportunity to meet - Hope you enjoy the Allure, in fact, I know you will - it's an awesome ship - loved it - we were on for 14 days and not enough to do and see everything we wanted -

corkey carol

HI all!

Sorry to hijack the thread but want to say "hi" to Carol! Sure I remember you even tho' we never met, we talked for months on that roll call.

I've been on Oasis so want to compare her to Allure.

Have you been back to Alaska? That's one place I'd love to revisit!

Sure looking forward to gambee's next review!;) Just going to tell others on my Breakaway cruise about this amazing trip on Allure.

I'm on Lady Allure right now. I think I've mentioned your name, your review, and your pictures about 2 dozen times in the past 24 hours. Your review was so detailed that I feel like I was here already. Everywhere I turn, there's something that you photorgraphed and described. Thanks again...you've made my week!!

Hi gambee...I can't top the superlatives that so many have applied to your wonderful review. You deserve them all! I have, however, done MY share to boost your views count, coming back again and again. You have added immeasurably to my happy anticipation of our upcoming cruise on the Allure.

Your easy, down-to-earth commentary and extraordinary eye for detail (not to mention superb photography) has made this so much more than a review. Some smart cruise line should snap you up as a regular roving correspondent, and provide you with as much complimentary travel as you can handle.

I know I will be back to enjoy this chapter of your travel history, both before we sail and after we return. It will be interesting to compare our impressions ...and to ease the port-cruise blues.

May future sailing be smooth for you, on land and sea!

Thanks so much,

Mary

Hi all!

gambee ~ who hoo I've finally finished reading your amazing review! I started reading on Jan 5 th! I'm going on Lady Allure in Nov so this has been so helpful & enticing! I'm also going on Breakaway but the week before you so I'll be able to relive that ship through your review too!

~ Jo ~ :-)

That is so exciting, you will be on Breakaway for their first sailing to Bermuda. I thought about doing it, but the price was just to much for us. We are eager to board the ship and see what it is all about, I can only hope that it will measure up to our expectations.

Allure in Nov you say, will this be the first time you visit her? You will have a great time, I still reminisce about our late nights in the Jacuzzis and Viking. Maybe soon we will be able to do it again, only God knows.

Thanks for stopping by =)

I kept hearing about Gambee & Gambees Mom. I had to come and read this review. The details....PERFECTION! The pictures...EXQUISITE! The way you further communicated thru the written word....PRICELESS!! I have not read anything this long in over 10 years:eek:. My husband is right behind me. I noticed there were..posters who said it was the best since 2005, that Rocks:D!! Whichever company finds your talent will be fortunate to find someone with your passion and heart to communicate. I did not think I would read another Allure review. Been on one cruise, The Allure. Took our Mom's also (Mom's are the most giving:-)) But had to finish this masterpiece. Tried to think of a new word for your review...Off The Chain!! (well that was more than one, lol) About the facial pictures, at first I wanted to see but now I kinda like the mystery. But, just so you know I dont think anyone here would care if you were a 2 headed purple alien with 3 toes. (yeah 3 toes, no balance or lots of martinis?;-)) Your work IS THAT GOOD!. Now I can get back to reading about our next adventure on The Adventure. C-ya around Gambee & Gambee's Mom!!

I am grateful that you our blog even though you said you would read another Allure review again. I can honestly say that I have read few Allure reviews after I wrote mine, I think I am Allured out for the time being ;-), well maybe just until I can board her again, lol. I must agree with you that the passion that I have for cruising is was that I was not aware off. Something that you kind of just stumble upon without even noticing it, not that I am complaining. As I plan our next adventure I come across a new world which is ship building and now I am even more fascinated by it. Thank you for your kind words, I really enjoy reading comments like yours. It gives me the motivation to do even better on my future reviews.

Loved the review, thanks for sharing.

Hope you're not having any nightmares from your flowrider experiences!

Silly question - was that a real alligator or a imitation one?

Thoroughly enjoyed the review and the photos.

Nah the flowrider was all good, let just call it an eventful day, lol. To answer your question, the alligator is real. It was quite funny we thought it was fake too, he definitely looked fake. But um yeah, don't try going near it, you most likely will die, :D.

Gambee -Absolutely loving your review of the Allure. I am so glad that you are doing the Breakaway before our family goes on our cruise. I hope that you will have time to do a review on that one before we go on ours.

Happy you're having fun reading my review' date=' thanks for reading it. Well it took me 2 and 1/2 weeks to write this review, when do you board Breakaway, I see June, but not a week. I will most likely have the review rolling the same day I get back from the cruise, but something tells me that Breakaway will take me longer to write. Being a new ship there are much more things to notice, but this are all speculations. We will see.

Ok I've been quietly following along all this time (sorry I haven't posted to this great thread yet Gambee) but this post! I could not NOT say anything. I am the same way! I love fish, I love the ocean, I love pretty blue water, and I love the idea of snorkeling, but once I get out there I am terrified! When I was a preteen, my family went on a Mexican riviera cruise. We went snorkeling in Cabo (I think if I remember correctly). The water was pretty rough and I was complaining how there was no fish. Later I turned around while I have my face in the water and saw how close I was getting to a large rock that was jutting out of the water. There was all types of sea life growing on it and fish swimming around it. I screamed and got a bunch of seawater in my mouth and I swam as fast as I could back to the beach. It scared me so much I don't know why!

Anyway, I'm still finishing up this thread. This is a great review and I'm very looking forward to my time on Allure in March!

I think it was because you were not expecting the rock to be there. It is very much the same thing that petrifies me, it is the unexpected. I have yet to encounter a shark out in the water, I have seen plenty of mantas and every time I see them I freeze in panic. I know they are harmless (even though Steve Irwin died from one), but I think it is the size and the fack that they are in their natural environment and I am not. Even though I have this phobia, I am not letting it stop me, I am actually upgrading my very old P&S underwater camera for a new one. Maybe it will be what takes to make me enjoy the ocean a little more, since I am so passionate about photography.

March is around the corner, you will have a blast. I am having a hard time with the idea that our next cruise is in May, I think I look at the calendar in average 4 times a week. Luckily until now, time seems to be going fairly fast, I can only hope it stays that way. Have fun reading the rest of the review, thanks for posting.

Gambee, I just spent a large part of three days reading this thread. I don't know whether to curse you or thank you.

I'll go with thank you.

You're Welcome.

I'm on Lady Allure right now. I think I've mentioned your name, your review, and your pictures about 2 dozen times in the past 24 hours. Your review was so detailed that I feel like I was here already. Everywhere I turn, there's something that you photorgraphed and described. Thanks again...you've made my week!!

Oh my, you're using your precious internet minutes to post here? thank you so much! I hope you have a blast, your cruise is just getting started, enjoy it all you can :-). Thanks for brining my review up and posting again, let us know how the cruise went. Have a drink for me, lol.

Hi gambee...I can't top the superlatives that so many have applied to your wonderful review. You deserve them all! I have, however, done MY share to boost your views count, coming back again and again. You have added immeasurably to my happy anticipation of our upcoming cruise on the Allure.

Your easy, down-to-earth commentary and extraordinary eye for detail (not to mention superb photography) has made this so much more than a review. Some smart cruise line should snap you up as a regular roving correspondent, and provide you with as much complimentary travel as you can handle.

I know I will be back to enjoy this chapter of your travel history, both before we sail and after we return. It will be interesting to compare our impressions ...and to ease the port-cruise blues.

May future sailing be smooth for you, on land and sea!

Thanks so much,

Mary

I can see your cruise is in February, time should fly and it will be here in no time, I hope you have a blast. Mom and I are very happy with how well this review turned out be, I was very scared that after a month the review would be just lost and no one would see it. But noticing that it continues to get between 1000-2000 views per day makes us very happy, it was all worth it. Thank you very much for being a part of it, I am eternally grateful for that. Thank you so much for posting, Happy sailings.

i'm admittedly reading your review very slowly - sort of savoring it as i go along!

anyway, i just got to where you went to the MDR for dinner at 10 PM

how late is the MDR open for dinner??

You know I had to go back to the planner to check that out. I think I must of taken bad notes that day, or maybe I just had a little too much to drink, lol. Well lets see the last seating for MTD is at 9:30 pm, but this is the thing. I never go out to the restaurant when they are closing, I know the servers are tired and want to go home. If for some reason I go late to a restaurant, I tell the server that I know he wants to get out and that he can have me feed in 10 minutes and I will be gone. I clearly remember that day the MDR was still busy, maybe we walked in at 9pm??? not sure, but up until we left there were people still inside, I am never part of the last group of people. So yeah I am think 9pm we went in. which day was that? I can't find it.

Edited by gambee

You know I had to go back to the planner to check that out. I think I must of taken bad notes that day, or maybe I just had a little too much to drink, lol. Well lets see the last seating for MTD is at 9:30 pm, but this is the thing. I never go out to the restaurant when they are closing, I know the servers are tired and want to go home. If for some reason I go late to a restaurant, I tell the server that I know he wants to get out and that he can have me feed in 10 minutes and I will be gone. I clearly remember that day the MDR was still busy, maybe we walked in at 9pm??? not sure, but up until we left there were people still inside, I am never part of the last group of people. So yeah I am think 9pm we went in. which day was that? I can't find it.

labadee day? that is the dinner after you were in labadee?

i'm reading about jamaica now, so it had to be before jamaica - so i guess labadee day..

by the way, your pictures are amazing!! i'm a point and shooter (with my iphone, i don't even bother using my camera anymore), so i'm so impressed by someone who knows how to take such great pictures..

oh...and thanks for the videos!! i'm really enjoying them so thanks for taking the time to film them and post them!!

Amazing..a simply amazing review. I have been looking forward to my time on the Allure this coming April and now you have me drooling with all the wonderful pictures and stories to go along with it. I have told those sailing with me to read this review even though ours is the Eastern. Once again....thank you for the wonderful review and photos.

<snip>

I think it was because you were not expecting the rock to be there. It is very much the same thing that petrifies me, it is the unexpected. I have yet to encounter a shark out in the water, I have seen plenty of mantas and every time I see them I freeze in panic. I know they are harmless (even though Steve Irwin died from one), but I think it is the size and the fack that they are in their natural environment and I am not. Even though I have this phobia, I am not letting it stop me, I am actually upgrading my very old P&S underwater camera for a new one. Maybe it will be what takes to make me enjoy the ocean a little more, since I am so passionate about photography.

March is around the corner, you will have a blast. I am having a hard time with the idea that our next cruise is in May, I think I look at the calendar in average 4 times a week. Luckily until now, time seems to be going fairly fast, I can only hope it stays that way. Have fun reading the rest of the review, thanks for posting.

<snip>

Thanks for replying! I think we are going to use bf's GoPro. It has a waterproof case so I can take vids, and I think it can do pics too. Quite honestly I have never used it! :eek: But I try to overcome my fear too. I'm afraid of heights, so going on the ski lift for snowboarding is terrifying for me but I do it! :o And I am really psyched to try out the zip line onboard. Another thing that scares me, but I want to do. Also the rock climbing wall! LOL I am starting to sound like a wuss.

Gambee, what a great review! I'm a first time cruiser ..headed out in March on FOS and i feel like i've visited the islands already!

One real question for you ... tell me about the drinking water situation on the ships. Must I buy all water for drinking? or is tap water good? I'd love to just grab ice, fill my water bottle and go ...as i'm not much of a soda drinker.

Any advice would be appreciated ....

labadee day? that is the dinner after you were in labadee?

i'm reading about jamaica now, so it had to be before jamaica - so i guess labadee day..

by the way, your pictures are amazing!! i'm a point and shooter (with my iphone, i don't even bother using my camera anymore), so i'm so impressed by someone who knows how to take such great pictures..

oh...and thanks for the videos!! i'm really enjoying them so thanks for taking the time to film them and post them!!

All my videos were flawed, I had a lot of things to learn with my camera and one of the things that I missed is that my main lens was not stabilized. Most of the vids have a lot of movement and shaking. lesson learned :)

Amazing..a simply amazing review. I have been looking forward to my time on the Allure this coming April and now you have me drooling with all the wonderful pictures and stories to go along with it. I have told those sailing with me to read this review even though ours is the Eastern. Once again....thank you for the wonderful review and photos.

You're welcome and thanks for sharing the review with others. I hope you have a great time on your cruise :).

Thanks for replying! I think we are going to use bf's GoPro. It has a waterproof case so I can take vids, and I think it can do pics too. Quite honestly I have never used it! :eek: But I try to overcome my fear too. I'm afraid of heights, so going on the ski lift for snowboarding is terrifying for me but I do it! :o And I am really psyched to try out the zip line onboard. Another thing that scares me, but I want to do. Also the rock climbing wall! LOL I am starting to sound like a wuss.

I was going to buy a gopro but the one I want with all the attachments is just too expensive. I am settling for something cheaper.

I am a snowboarder as well =)

Gambee, what a great review! I'm a first time cruiser ..headed out in March on FOS and i feel like i've visited the islands already!

One real question for you ... tell me about the drinking water situation on the ships. Must I buy all water for drinking? or is tap water good? I'd love to just grab ice, fill my water bottle and go ...as i'm not much of a soda drinker.

Any advice would be appreciated ....

Yayyyy your first post, welcome to Cruise Critic. Your first cruise will be one to never forget. About the water, well this is not a fact but more along the lines of what I did. I drink water at night, I usually wake up thirsty and have a couple of glasses of water. In both of my cruises I have drank water from faucet and well I am still here and never got sick. It tasted normal to me, but I am not sure if it is purified. Maybe you can in a thread or do a search about it. I never bought water and I drink water in all the restaurants, but just their tab water.

Thanks for posting, happy sailings :)

Do you have pictures of the chapel?

no sorry, I forgot to go. I missed a few parts of the ship, that was one of them. Oh it was right next to the Viking, how could I miss it???

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&authuser=0&q=allure+of+the+seas+chapel&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1278&bih=734&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=uQ32UMGBCZKc8wSV7YHADA, I just saw it. Looks very nice

Edited by gambee

Wow! I have just spent several hours reading your whole thread! We are sailing in April on the Oasis on the Western itenerary, but I figure the two ships are so similar that your review would be useful. I especially appreciate the port reviews! We are leaning toward no excursions in Jamaica also. I also do not want to sit in a bus for an hour each way to get to something cool. We have an over the water cabana reserved on Nellies beach in Labadee, and I'm looking at the dolphin / sea lion & beach place you visited in Cozumel. My husband and I are traveling with our two kids ( 12 & 14) and my in-laws and brother in law in another cabin. We are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. I just wish my mother in-law was going to be as fun to hang with as you mom ;)

Thanks so much, I really feel like I have my head wrapped around what this experience is going to be like now!

I've been going thru your review, mainly viewing pictures & reading your posts. Now I'm going to go back & read all the posts. I really appreciate the time & effort you put into this. My family(myself,DW,DS,DS,DD) were on the Breeze over Christmas for our 1st cruise ever & really enjoyed ourselves. I think we're hooked. We were looking at trying RCI for our next cruise & was looking at the different ships & saw your review. The Allure looks fascinating. I was alittle hesitant because of the size but, now I would love to go on it. Again, Thank You for a wonderful review!!!:D