Nov 4, Allure of the Seas, Western Caribbean - A Review and Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

Wow ... You should get commission from Royal because I think you may have convinced a lot of people to book with them. I personally have not given the Oasis or the Allure a second thought because we cruise for the ports and prefer a maximum of two days at seas when cruising. Plus I have never been very impressed with those itineraries. But I have to say your review may have changed my mind. I think I need to see this ship for my own eyes ... Oh how I wish they better itineraries though!

Thanks again and I look forward to your next review.

that was a gorgeous picture on the morning of cozumel day, but the moment i saw it i thought - hmmmm.....red sky......i wonder if they're going to have bad weather today....

and i guess you did...

a red sky at sea in the morning is beautiful, but there's a reason for the old rhyme, "red sky at morning, sailor take warning....red sky at night, sailor's delight"...

as long as i've lived by the sea (30 years), i've found it to be true...

but it is beautiful!! :)

i just got to your post where you mention your irritation at the use of military time on the Spanish compasses.

the 24 hour clock is the norm, not the exception throughout the world.

The US and Canada are unusual in their use of the 12 hour clock.

What you refer to as "military time" is the international standard for time.

you can read about it in wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-hour_clock

DSC09316_zps2a108904.jpg

this sign made me laugh!!

"if you fear heights, a falling sensation, high speeds, or have claustrophia - do not participate"

so i guess if i have all of the above, i probably shouldn't even watch people on it!!!

in truth, even just looking at the pictures gives me the willies!!!!! :eek:

you're going to ban me from your thread, i've made so many posts today!! :eek:

anyway, i just can't keep it to myself anymore!

your mom is lucky she wasn't traveling with me!!!!!!!!!

the way she's constantly drinking your drinks and eating your food is driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

once, twice i might let her have a taste of my food (maybe even of my drink, though not likely)..

but EVERY SINGLE TIME?????????????????????????????

she might find herself overboard!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by alaska_planner

Gambee Thank you for a wonderful review. You made me fall in love with the ship even though I have never been on it. I remember reading that you are going on NCL Breakaway and I cannot wait for that review. We will be on the Breakaway in 8/19/13 and I think you go before us. Once again thanks for all the pictures, videos and the tales of your wonderful journey.:)

Gambee, what a great review! I'm a first time cruiser ..headed out in March on FOS and i feel like i've visited the islands already!

One real question for you ... tell me about the drinking water situation on the ships. Must I buy all water for drinking? or is tap water good? I'd love to just grab ice, fill my water bottle and go ...as i'm not much of a soda drinker.

Any advice would be appreciated ....

you don't have to drink bottled water, all water on ships is filtered, including from the tap in your room.

so feel free to drink from the tap in your room. It's the same water you're served in the restaurants (unless you order bottled water).

I always just drink the regular tap water on ships.

Edited by alaska_planner

Gambee, I have been on Cruise Critic for a long time, more years than my signature states, I have read 1000's of reviews and yours tops the list, there are simply not words to express how good it is and to think English is not your native language makes it all the more fantastic. Your pictures and writing styles are simply amazing, I spent several hours reading your review and I never do that, I could not tear myself away. Thanks so much for taking the enormous amount of time to do the review. I wondered over to this board for the first time in years, it was 1998 the last time I sailed with RCCL and I had no intention of sailing on such a huge ship, but thanks to your review I think I will try another RCCL cruise on the Allure. It appears that RCCL has made strides to return to the excellent food and entertainment they had in the past. I admire the relationship you have with your mother. Enjoy your next cruise, will be checking in to read your review.

I'm on Lady Allure right now. I think I've mentioned your name, your review, and your pictures about 2 dozen times in the past 24 hours. Your review was so detailed that I feel like I was here already. Everywhere I turn, there's something that you photorgraphed and described. Thanks again...you've made my week!!

Hi fellow cruiser! I was on the 1/13 sailing of Allure with you! Actually got some sailaway pictures. I'll see if I can forward them here.

Gambee, I read your review for weeks before I sailed and loved every minute of it. I had a few dirty martinis with extra olives for you. :) Thank you so much for your amazing review! I think Royal should send you and your mom and bf on each of their ships for free so you can do a review!

Gambee,

Thank you very much for doing such a terrific review with amazing pictures!!! We have sailed mostly in the Voyager class, but you definitely have piqued our interest for the Allure.

One of the best things about sailing Royal Caribbean is the feeling of familiarity and "like being home" when we get on the ship. Your review is so thorough, that I'm sure many of us that have enjoyed your cruise would be able to go to a larger ship with a feeling of that same comfort.

Our best to you and your great mom!

Wow! I have just spent several hours reading your whole thread! We are sailing in April on the Oasis on the Western itenerary, but I figure the two ships are so similar that your review would be useful. I especially appreciate the port reviews! We are leaning toward no excursions in Jamaica also. I also do not want to sit in a bus for an hour each way to get to something cool. We have an over the water cabana reserved on Nellies beach in Labadee, and I'm looking at the dolphin / sea lion & beach place you visited in Cozumel. My husband and I are traveling with our two kids ( 12 & 14) and my in-laws and brother in law in another cabin. We are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. I just wish my mother in-law was going to be as fun to hang with as you mom

Thanks so much, I really feel like I have my head wrapped around what this experience is going to be like now!

You know you can always enjoy a very empty ship in Jamaica and do a little walking around the port. I looks like those over the water Cabanas are really nice, a part of me wished that we booked one. You will have a great time on Chankanaab, hopefully you get better weather than we did.

I hope you have a great time, it sounds like a great opportunity to share a great time with your family.

Thanks you so much for taking the time to post here.

I've been going thru your review, mainly viewing pictures & reading your posts. Now I'm going to go back & read all the posts. I really appreciate the time & effort you put into this. My family(myself,DW,DS,DS,DD) were on the Breeze over Christmas for our 1st cruise ever & really enjoyed ourselves. I think we're hooked. We were looking at trying RCI for our next cruise & was looking at the different ships & saw your review. The Allure looks fascinating. I was alittle hesitant because of the size but, now I would love to go on it. Again, Thank You for a wonderful review!!!

Like my mother told my uncle, you haven't cruised until you try the Allure. Granted you has only cruised twice, lol. I hope you get to try it one day, thanks for posting =).

Wow ... You should get commission from Royal because I think you may have convinced a lot of people to book with them. I personally have not given the Oasis or the Allure a second thought because we cruise for the ports and prefer a maximum of two days at seas when cruising. Plus I have never been very impressed with those itineraries. But I have to say your review may have changed my mind. I think I need to see this ship for my own eyes ... Oh how I wish they better itineraries though!

Thanks again and I look forward to your next review.

nope, no commission yet ;-), still waiting, lol. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, maybe you should consider it one day. You know there are talks for another Oasis ship, maybe that one will have a better itinerary. The thing that I dont see happening is that they will have a lot of ports to stop at. Keep in mind that building docks this big require a big investment from those countries.

that was a gorgeous picture on the morning of cozumel day, but the moment i saw it i thought - hmmmm.....red sky......i wonder if they're going to have bad weather today....

and i guess you did...

a red sky at sea in the morning is beautiful, but there's a reason for the old rhyme, "red sky at morning, sailor take warning....red sky at night, sailor's delight"...

as long as i've lived by the sea (30 years), i've found it to be true...

but it is beautiful!!

First of all I want to apologize, I had no idea that you made all those question that day. For some reason I only saw this post. You know I never heard of that saying, but from now on I will keep it in mind. thanks fro telling me.

i just got to your post where you mention your irritation at the use of military time on the Spanish compasses.

the 24 hour clock is the norm, not the exception throughout the world.

The US and Canada are unusual in their use of the 12 hour clock.

What you refer to as "military time" is the international standard for time.

you can read about it in wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-hour_clock

But not in South America and I lived most of my life in south america and here in the states. I can also tell you that most of the spanish people on board were from south america, I hard only one couple from spain. And think about it, you have all of south/central america versus spain that speak spanish. They should really consider changing it, I cannot tell you how irritating that was. Just my opinion and nothing more =).

where are these pictures taken?

I believe Dazzles, you know I only went there once in our entire cruise, crazy. There is just so much to visit.

was there any jacuzzi in particular that you preferred?

or did you just head for whatever jacuzzi was least crowded at that time?

(i LOVE jacuzzis!!)

My favorite jacuzzi were the ones in the solarium, followed by the ones that hang out of the ship. And those usually had a space for us to enjoy.

hmmmm....so many questions today!!

anyway, do the bars offer virgin versions of the various specialty drinks?

Not all the drinks, but most yes. Granted I never asked for them, but for some drinks you just can't make them without alcohol.

this sign made me laugh!!

"if you fear heights, a falling sensation, high speeds, or have claustrophia - do not participate"

so i guess if i have all of the above, i probably shouldn't even watch people on it!!!

in truth, even just looking at the pictures gives me the willies!!!!! :eek:

We never got try it, mainly because I hate lines. But wish I had.

you're going to ban me from your thread, i've made so many posts today!!

anyway, i just can't keep it to myself anymore!

your mom is lucky she wasn't traveling with me!!!!!!!!!

the way she's constantly drinking your drinks and eating your food is driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

once, twice i might let her have a taste of my food (maybe even of my drink, though not likely)..

but EVERY SINGLE TIME?????????????????????????????

she might find herself overboard!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

lol, moms. It does not bother me that much, I guess sometimes she doesn't think she wants it, but she does. She only does it with me, so you don't have to worry ;-), your drink will be safe.

And again I want to apologize, I really did not know that you posted so many times. I think my cp updating dingy is not working properly. I would of replied days ago. sorry.

Gambee Thank you for a wonderful review. You made me fall in love with the ship even though I have never been on it. I remember reading that you are going on NCL Breakaway and I cannot wait for that review. We will be on the Breakaway in 8/19/13 and I think you go before us. Once again thanks for all the pictures, videos and the tales of your wonderful journey.:)

You're welcome, yeah we can't wait for Breakaway, hopefully May gets here soon.

you don't have to drink bottled water, all water on ships is filtered, including from the tap in your room.

so feel free to drink from the tap in your room. It's the same water you're served in the restaurants (unless you order bottled water).

I always just drink the regular tap water on ships.

thanks for clarifying that.

Gambee, I have been on Cruise Critic for a long time, more years than my signature states, I have read 1000's of reviews and yours tops the list, there are simply not words to express how good it is and to think English is not your native language makes it all the more fantastic. Your pictures and writing styles are simply amazing, I spent several hours reading your review and I never do that, I could not tear myself away. Thanks so much for taking the enormous amount of time to do the review. I wondered over to this board for the first time in years, it was 1998 the last time I sailed with RCCL and I had no intention of sailing on such a huge ship, but thanks to your review I think I will try another RCCL cruise on the Allure. It appears that RCCL has made strides to return to the excellent food and entertainment they had in the past. I admire the relationship you have with your mother. Enjoy your next cruise, will be checking in to read your review.

Thank you for kind words, I hope RCCL can give you a much better experience than you had with them before. We had a great, but we understand that ship is not for everyone, who knows you might enjoy it. Thank you for posting on my thread and keep your eyes open in May on the NCL board ;-).

Hi fellow cruiser! I was on the 1/13 sailing of Allure with you! Actually got some sailaway pictures. I'll see if I can forward them here.

Gambee, I read your review for weeks before I sailed and loved every minute of it. I had a few dirty martinis with extra olives for you. :) Thank you so much for your amazing review! I think Royal should send you and your mom and bf on each of their ships for free so you can do a review!

Thanks for posting and your kind words, glad you had a great time and enjoyed those dirty martinis.

I'm only a few pages in, but thank you for this review. So detailed and informative!

Nice to see you here =), hope you like it.

Gambee,

Thank you very much for doing such a terrific review with amazing pictures!!! We have sailed mostly in the Voyager class, but you definitely have piqued our interest for the Allure.

One of the best things about sailing Royal Caribbean is the feeling of familiarity and "like being home" when we get on the ship. Your review is so thorough, that I'm sure many of us that have enjoyed your cruise would be able to go to a larger ship with a feeling of that same comfort.

Our best to you and your great mom!

Thanks you stopping by and your kind words. I am not sure I can call homy since this was our first time on it. But it was however very easy to navigate and more around. You might want to give it a try and see if it for you.

Mom says Hi and thank you.

Thank you for this amazing review! We are sailing B2B in less than 3 months and your review has me giddy with excitement!! Appreciate your time and effort in doing this. Katherine

You're very welcome. I hope you have a great cruise and an unforgettable adventure.

Gambee - just wanted to pop in and say how much I enjoyed your review! (From one extensive review writer to another - I know how much work is involved, so I appreciate it!!)

I never had any intention of cruising on the Oasis or Allure, as I felt they were too big - but friends last week convinced me, at the last minute, to join them on THIS week's sailing. I booked my cruise last Wednesday and was onboard on Sunday...in the meantime, I was frantically reading any reviews/tips/advice I could find on the Allure - and I stumbled across your review.

It helped me tremendously in my planning...and I can't help but think of you sometimes while onboard this week. I'll see something, and it will trigger something you've written about, and I'll think, "Oh yeah - Gambee mentioned this in his review!"

Again, thank you! :)

First of all I want to apologize, I had no idea that you made all those question that day. For some reason I only saw this post. You know I never heard of that saying, but from now on I will keep it in mind. thanks fro telling me.

i figured you were on another cruise! :)

But not in South America and I lived most of my life in south america and here in the states. I can also tell you that most of the spanish people on board were from south america, I hard only one couple from spain. And think about it, you have all of south/central america versus spain that speak spanish. They should really consider changing it, I cannot tell you how irritating that was. Just my opinion and nothing more =).

that's interesting that it isn't used in South America.

I'm very used to it having not lived in the US now for over 25 years.

I believe Dazzles, you know I only went there once in our entire cruise, crazy. There is just so much to visit.

yes, your review makes it clear i'd need about a month on board to even attempt to see and do everything! :eek:

even just planning for an allure cruise seems a monumental task!!!!

My favorite jacuzzi were the ones in the solarium, followed by the ones that hang out of the ship. And those usually had a space for us to enjoy.

i noticed on the compass that some of the jacuzzis are open all night (as well as some other places)...

i'm a night owl and one of the things that bothers me on the disney ships is that nothing is open in the middle of the night...so i'm really looking forward to RCCL!!

Not all the drinks, but most yes. Granted I never asked for them, but for some drinks you just can't make them without alcohol.

i'm not a teetotaler, but more than a sip will put me under the table....

We never got try it, mainly because I hate lines. But wish I had.

was there anything else on the ship, other than the zip line, that always had a line? i hate lines too!!!

lol, moms. It does not bother me that much, I guess sometimes she doesn't think she wants it, but she does. She only does it with me, so you don't have to worry ;-), your drink will be safe.

i'm a mom!! my daughter is in the middle of writing her trip report on her precruise trip in alaska and cruise on the Radiance of the Seas

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1725813

she's the one who originally brought your review to my attention.

we're hoping to be on the allure together this august (that is, me and my husband and she and her husband), so we've been reading everything we can get our hands on!

maybe your mom comes from my school of thought - food eaten from other people's plates has no calories!! (along with broken pieces, etc)...:)

And again I want to apologize, I really did not know that you posted so many times. I think my cp updating dingy is not working properly. I would of replied days ago. sorry.

are you kidding?? thank you for taking the time to write this incredible review!!!! i'm sure you know how helpful it will be to everyone planning a cruise on the allure...

i can't imagine the amount of time you must have invested in this, both on the cruise and after...i told my daughter that i would never do it as it would eat into my enjoyment of the cruise itself....so you're a better man than i am!!! :)

Edited by alaska_planner

Hi Gambee and avid followers of Gambee!

Being a mom who has travelled with all of my 4 children as adults on cruise ships(most recent a 60th birthday party with my 3 girls and 5 girlfriends on the Freedom) they are my favorite traveling companions, even if they do watch what I drink like hawks! Lol. We don't share drinks, although a taste is acceptable, but at dinner we try to all order different things so we can share. However, we've been known to order an extra main course(or any course) for all of us to taste. That's one of the pluses of cruise dining!

I started watching the Oasis as soon as they started building her. My first trip on her turned into the Freedom because of group finances! That was 2011 and I booked my husband and myself a balcony room on the Oasis(western) at that time. From Indiana I'm in Florida now waiting to board her on Feb 16(have a daughter we're visiting, comes in handy this time of year!) My youngest, her husband and almost 2 year old will be joining us. She's the one who found your review. We both enjoyed it very much. She has downloaded your spread sheet!

And done most of the planing.

I did this itinerary in Jan of 2012 on the carnival Destiny, a nice little ship, going in for 25 million$ dry dock!! I must say I'm looking forward to seeing changes in Jamaica. My best experience there was the shop that was giving away free samples of their cream rum. If you didn't try it, oh my gosh so good, still enjoying a bottle from there. The gate to city reminded me of the King Kong movies. All the guards and stuff holding humanity back! Silly. We didn't venture out and probably won't this time. Besides a cabana on Labadee, we are just exploring each ports dock and then going back on board the ship to enjoy her. Do you know if the rock wall and zip line are open while in port? I tried to climb on Freedom and didn't do too bad for my age and weight, but now at 30 lbs lighter want to give it another shot. We also went ice skating, loved it! Brought back childhood memories. It is interesting to note that they offer private lessons on skating. We met a mom and daughter who spent most of their time there. ( special for young daughter!)

Boy this is turning into a pen pal letter!!!

I think your mom would have fun cruising with me and my girlfriends, we leave the men at home and have a blast!! But we'd let you come too!

I love the relationship I've built with my adult children and am glad to see others share it too! My husband is a wonderful man, but you'll find him sitting on the balcony while I want to be exploring the ship! Opposites do attract!

I'll cut this off, could go on! Glad you've continued this thread after your cruise to answer all the questions and to be just nice! Happy sailing. Saw the announcement for your Breakaway ship!! Enjoy! Joy