Bit of a blog - Adventure of the Seas – B2B in the Caribbean – 18th November 2012

Laughing out loud at this one:

"you remember Monica's hair from F.R.I.E.N.D.S when she goes to the Caribbean and her hair reacts to the humidity.... that's nothing on what my hair is doing right now...."

Gotta love the heat and humidity!!

Thank you all so much for your kind words. I’m enjoying doing this as it is a way for me to remember the experience when I get back.

Blog time : 1415…. Feeling a touch of Captain Kirk here.

Woke at 5am. Again. Fed up of my body’s failure to adjust to the time ... I am now back in my room and will have a nap so I can hopefully have a fun evening, see a show maybe…. Go to some adult entertainment… you just never know!

Reading from the Compass : Day 1 they held one show with CD Drew for the Welcome Aboard Showtime starring the comedy of Dan Grueter and featuring World Champion Juggler Scott Cavanaugh. 1030pm. Think I was in my bed by then….. or heading to it…..

Tonight is Production Showtime starring the RC singers and dancers in ‘Can’t Stop the Rock’. A mother of one of the dancers popped in to the roll call and asked us to look out for her daughter. Shows at 9pm and 1045pm. Will see how formal night dinner goes. We’re eating at 630pm so the first show is certainly doable. There’s a ‘Finish the Lyric’ game show at 10 which appeals…. I love game shows….

Yesterday and today the Compass advertises the Wash & Fold Laundry Special for $25. In the past I’ve only experienced this offer once in the week. I may very well use it later on.

After I’d posted yesterday’s pics I headed down to WindJammer for some breakfast. Couldn’t find anyone who could help me with GF bread so gave up and had a plate of scrambled eggs, bacon and tomato. There’s chocolate milk (probably has gluten in it) but I risk it. I love the chocolate milk on RCL. I take a carton for the room fridge. There’s no egg station per say…. There are boiled eggs and an omelette station. Frittata. I don’t know if I will go to the MDR for breakfast at all. There are many of us B2B-ers apparently. The guys from Malaga were given a special breakfast and lunch on changeover day so will definitely attend those if they are held this week.

We’re good to go and head down to Deck 1 to disembark. It’s relatively quiet at that time. It’s quite a long walk to the end of the pier….. it is only on our return that a shuttle ‘train’ is running… I’ve no idea when it started.

We see some birds hanging out….. it’s obvious why…. The sea is clear and there is an ample supply of fish…. You know the birds…. The one that rescues Nemo from the seagulls…. Pic to follow…. My inability to remember words is becoming epic. (From Viking Lounge MUCH later..... cranes....?)

There are stalls set out with T- shirts, sundresses, jewellery etc… and very loud reggae music is already being blared out by sound system. Bob Marley is revered and remembered everywhere in clothing, jewellery, posters etc.

There is an area with registered guides available and we are keen to travel without a large group having to wait for the bus to fill. We are introduced to Jamaican Leonora Jane Smith who showed us the island that has become her home. She has a new van for us; immaculate.

The tour is directed with enthusiasm and she is very happy to answer any questions we might have. She asks for us to specify whether we wanted to see beaches, museums or tour and we chose the 3rd. The rainforest has been badly affected in the past through hurricanes but I am blown away by the very different appearance of the trees and the streams of foliage that are apparently hanging by threads in streams…. She took us to a ‘zoo’. Imagine a large space with assorted caged animals, a few dogs, a goat, a donkey, a ginger kitten, assorted winged birds and fowl and a pig, the smell of which was indescribable. I have an aversion to caged animals and found the conditions they were being kept in rather depressing. We saw a mongoose running free across the road so why did they have one caged? Too many questions.

There is an award winning smoothie bar there and Scott partook of one….. the taster was incredibly sweet.

They drive on the left. With left hand drive cars. Goodness knows how tourists who car hire manage with that!

I drop off to sleep on the way back to port. When we get there the port area is fully up and running with stilt walkers dancing around. I check out a few of the stands that I hadn’t seen previously and there’s a wonderful store selling upmarket Christmas tree baubles and gifts.

I head back to the ship for lunch. The US Army is in evidence (we had been prewarned by the Captain that they were participating in an exercise involving the cruise ship and not be concerned).

I try again to find out what is GF and this time am introduced to Executive Sous Chef Nick Roberson from the UK who showed me around and pointed out what I could and couldn’t eat…. He warned me the mashed potatoes were probably not on my menu…. That will account for more of the problems I experienced yesterday then! I need to get back to him at a later stage. He would have prepared the fish for me specifically but I was more than happy to try the chicken and instead of dessert opted to have more of the Malaysian Chicken Curry…. Seriously good. And not at all hot. He did tell me that the BBB on the MDR dessert menu used to be on the menu in Chops and in the revamp brought over for main dining. The only difference is that it had been decided, for health and safety reasons, NOT to fire up the topping at the table! Before I could pick his brains further he was called off take a phone call. Lovely chap.

Pool bar. Pimm’s o’clock. Sat next to lovely American couple from MI. Go Blue! I described as best I can what a Pimm’s is and then allowed her a taste. This barman had mixed it up mild and when I mentioned that to her she had him take it back and top it up……mnomnomnomnomn.

It’s now 2pm and time for that nap….. want to be up to watch the stragglers at 430pm for All Aboard! ;)

And a wee bit later am in the Viking Lounge.....'It's a beautiful day' is playing..... just about says it really.

Thank you so much for doing this for us. I can tell from your writing that you are enjoying everything. My daughter has to eat GF. When we were on the FOS they were wonderful to her, even making her special escargot. I will be on the AOS the end of January so I totally appreciate what you are doing. Enjoy!

There IS a shuttle

IMG_0303.jpg

Lunch.... Malaysian chicken curry on the right was exceptionally good

IMG_0305.jpg

Nick...... the really great Exec Sous Chef who is a Man U supporter and gave me the F1 result!!!

IMG_0304.jpg

Taken AFTER all aboard.....

IMG_0308.jpg

Soft serve ice cream.... mnomnomnomnomn

IMG_0306.jpg

Thanks for making me feel like I was right there with you!! Great blog and what a fun day! Peach Bellini.....have to put that on my cruising bucket list along with a Pimms! I googled Pimms and am going to have to mix one up and see how it tastes!! What do you usually make yours with?

Hi Linda

Thank you so much for this blog, we do the exact cruise starting January 27, b2b as well. We did almost the same itinerary last year on Serenade, can't wait for this one. Lots of folks on our Jan 27 roll call are following this blog, you are answering a lot of questions! Well done and keep up the fantastic writing.

WOW - Normally do not follow these 'live' threads (except for Trainman2 of course) but am really enjoying this. Months ago I went back and forth over which cruise to do next December (Adventure or Navigator) and finally put a deposit on NOS. But the more I follow this thread the more I am thinking to call and switch to Adventure. Will check back later for updates.

Hi Linda,

I really appeciate you taking time out of your vacation to blog your trip. It's great!

One question ... I noticed that the flat screen TV's haven't been installed yet. Are the TV's interactive? Can you access your on-board account and book MTD from it? Thanks again for what your doing!

Archived