Talkeetna

shofer

We are going to be here 5/16/13 and wondering what there is to do, if anything. We are too early to go flightseeing.

I have seen on these boards that there is a shuttle from the Princess Lodge to the town. What about places to eat there?

Any info is welcome.

Thanks.

Sue

There is flightseeing available. There are year round companies. I always eat at the Latitude and Roadhouse. :) Princess does have a one way raft tour, that could be considered worthwhile, if of interest, but not white water. Not a lot to do otherwise. Flightseeing is the forte, and fishing in season.

We liked Roadhouse. We stopped there for lunch this August. Great popovers and soup. Eat family style. Saw what looked like wonderful breakfasts, too. Seemed like a great place.

I don't eat any food family style at the Roadhbouse, but sit family style.

They also sometimes will have soup and bread in the evening. When I stay there, I only get the upstairs rooms.

Why do you say it is too early for flightseeing? Have you contacted the various companies?

We had purchased the Northern Lights coupon book and all those deals were dated after we were there. As we are on a budget, we are looking for the 2-for-1 deals.

Probably will just roam the town for souvenirs and lunch.

Sue

We had purchased the Northern Lights coupon book and all those deals were dated after we were there. As we are on a budget, we are looking for the 2-for-1 deals.

Probably will just roam the town for souvenirs and lunch.

Sue

Are there any Toursaver coupon offers available? What about contacting the vendor directly, there may be unadvertised discounts, if you mention the coupons. Or just forgo some holiday gifts and get the "gift" of flying. :)

If you are just going to wander around town you might consider walking down Main Street towards the River. The view of Denali at the edge of town is very nice on a clear day.

Thanks for the tip. I feel like we are "flying blind" on this trip as we just aren't sure what will be available at the time we are going.

DH & I did the cruise portion only in 5/03 and we had great weather on that trip. Doing this trip with a dear friend who has only cruised once (this year!) so want to maximize the experience for her.

Sue

Are there any Toursaver coupon offers available? What about contacting the vendor directly, there may be unadvertised discounts, if you mention the coupons. Or just forgo some holiday gifts and get the "gift" of flying. :)

This is a good idea. I may try this after the holidays and see what our options can be. Since I am doing this trip with a single friend, we are trying to stretch the budget. A 2-for-1 deal would be perfect.

Sue

• 2 months later...
Hi, Did you want to sell your Northern Lights book? I thought I understand that you can't use because you are going too early? Thanks Patty

I was able to return it for a full refund. Thanks for the offer.

Sue

I saw a 2-for-1 flightseeing deal from Talkeetna about a month ago through some EMail alert (I forget now which one). But when on a budget, the key is to sign up for all alerts you can think of. If even just one of them pans out into a savings, it will be worth it.

Archived