The Splendor and Misery of Celebrity: Eclipse and S-Class Ships Review in Pictures

cruisetrail

Shame he didn't get a photo of the stalls in the ladies room. I have a vivid memory of each Eclipse ladies room stall being larger than my first apartment. I thought, Geez, I could close the door, do a full Margarita-fueled face plant and still not hit my head on the toilet. This ship rocks!

You are so right. They are big! Gee, I took pictures of the sinks, but never thought of taking pictures of the HUGE stalls on the Silhouette!

Shame he didn't get a photo of the stalls in the ladies room. I have a vivid memory of each Eclipse ladies room stall being larger than my first apartment. I thought, Geez, I could close the door, do a full Margarita-fueled face plant and still not hit my head on the toilet. This ship rocks!

LOL, I can't wait to meet you.:D

Not like these then? This photograph was taken at the Crowne Plaza hotel used for a cooking demonstration in Acapulco in 2009. Your eyes are not deceiving you, the strip of white-painted wood just left of centre in the photograph was the hinge side of the door frame. You literally had a few inches between the front of the porcelain and the door!

Sue

CIMG5372.jpg.81d304e1b6205f4ce9c073ddd3511aa5.jpg

Not like these then? This photograph was taken at the Crowne Plaza hotel used for a cooking demonstration in Acapulco in 2009. Your eyes are not deceiving you, the strip of white-painted wood just left of centre in the photograph was the hinge side of the door frame. You literally had a few inches between the front of the porcelain and the door!

Sue

I have seen my fair share of toilets (previously I was a plumber) so I am always puzzled when the design of the toilet/bathroom facillities become quite bizarre. Luxury doesn't always mean gold plated fittings and marble floors, room can also be considered to be extravigance.:D

I have been on the Eclipse twice and really thought Norwegian artist Guri Dahl's work was so beautiful decorating the stateroom corridors. You seemed to criticise this by saying unfortunately there was nothing nautical about the decoration. Why should they be, these days? If you want that type of thing, go to Cunard! By the way, you are a very good photographer, interesting angles.

Thank you.

By the way, I don't criticize someone's art works.

I am saying that (unfortunately) nautical, maritime theme is not reflected in the ship decor in general.

Why should they be, these days?

Are these days any worse than any other?

Nautical theme is timeless.

Maritime accent in decor provides a flavor of sea travel. It expands volumes, makes the interiors more dynamic.

Doesn't Celebrity Cruises have their history?

Anything to be proud of?

Anything to be put on display (images of their famous ships of the past and present, paintings, murals that reflect significant events in their history, ship models, views of their home ports, etc.)?

Thank you.

By the way, I don't criticize someone's art works.

I am saying that (unfortunately) nautical, maritime theme is not reflected in the ship decor in general.

Are these days any worse than any other?

Nautical theme is timeless.

Maritime accent in decor provides a flavor of sea travel. It expands volumes, makes the interiors more dynamic.

Doesn't Celebrity Cruises have their history?

Anything to be proud of?

Anything to be put on display (images of their famous ships of the past and present, paintings, murals that reflect significant events in their history, ship models, views of their home ports, etc.)?

And now the criticism starts. It was just a matter of time before the OP showed his real intentions for this thread. :rolleyes:

But the ship is FULL of reminders about Chandris, but you DO need to be familiar with oceanliners and traditional ships if you want to recognize this.

One example is the design of the two funnels, almost exact copies of Britanis and Amerikanis ( although she had only one funnel). Woodwork and art deco is remiscent of The Victoria. There is artwork onboard all M and S class vessels that comes from previous Celebrity and indeed Chandris Vessels.

The MDR onboard S class vessels is a throwback to the art deco style grand dining rooms of the Ocean liners built in the thirties. That was the main design inspiration for mr. tihani, the interior architect of the MDR.

So you see, a real ship buff does find a lot of nautical inspiration onboard Celebrity ships.

I must concur with the OP though that I have not seen a truly obvious picture gallery of previous ships, and that the promenade is a sad thing to behold, howver standard now on all new designs., including Princess.

LOL! How about the size of the ladies room at the Lawn Club, starboard?! :eek:

It's enormous and I don't trust that automatic lock. I'm thinking it will be the same as Equinox and Solstice on Eclipse?

Great pics cruisetrail, thanks. I love the angles in the MDR pics. It's almost as if you have used the setting to pick out the blues if it wasn't for the red roses. It looks positively icy, but beautiful. :)

But the ship is FULL of reminders about Chandris, but you DO need to be familiar with oceanliners and traditional ships if you want to recognize this.

One example is the design of the two funnels, almost exact copies of Britanis and Amerikanis ( although she had only one funnel). Woodwork and art deco is remiscent of The Victoria. There is artwork onboard all M and S class vessels that comes from previous Celebrity and indeed Chandris Vessels.

The MDR onboard S class vessels is a throwback to the art deco style grand dining rooms of the Ocean liners built in the thirties. That was the main design inspiration for mr. tihani, the interior architect of the MDR.

So you see, a real ship buff does find a lot of nautical inspiration onboard Celebrity ships.

I must concur with the OP though that I have not seen a truly obvious picture gallery of previous ships, and that the promenade is a sad thing to behold, howver standard now on all new designs., including Princess.

Two blue funnels with (1) "X" is a simple and obvious link to the Britanis.

But at this time we are talking about Celebrity Eclipse interiors.

Not "a lot" so far IMO.

Regarding older ships artwork transferred to Celebrity S-class ships - could you please give examples? May be you have photos. That would be nice to see.

I did not want to compare S-class interiors with real Art Deco ocean liners, but as this aspect comes up we'll talk about it a little later.

Just note that a ship decorated with artworks is not the same as Art Deco Ship.

Next is: a few looks at the second major dining venue - the buffet.

The Buffet

1675rh1.jpg

123w12b.jpg

9qbfch.jpg

zl2qvk.jpg

rsz9rl.jpg

2ldw1g7.jpg

Note small separate counters.

Somewhat less waiting at a cost of somewhat more chaotic movement in the whole buffet.

Some people like it, some don't.

What do I prefer?

I don't mind any buffet layout on a cruise ship.

I prefer good food.

The Buffet

Note small separate counters.

Somewhat less waiting at a cost of somewhat more chaotic movement in the whole buffet.

Some people like it, some don't.

What do I prefer?

I don't mind any buffet layout on a cruise ship.

I prefer good food.

We were on the Equinox over the holidays last year and the Infinity to Alaska in the summer. The Equinox is set up similarly to the Eclipse, while the Infinity was more the old style buffet lines. What a difference IMHO! The new "modular" buffet system is so much better and since most stations are duplicated, there is very little waiting to get food. While I agree that the most important thing is the quality of the food, waiting in long buffet lines can be a real bummer and make us look for other venues on the ship at which to eat.

And, oh...by the way....."ditto" on the great pics, Cruisetrail, and thanks for posting them.

While I agree that the most important thing is the quality of the food, waiting in long buffet lines can be a real bummer and make us look for other venues on the ship at which to eat.

I suppose the difference for me is if the line is looking too long I do not join it, I go elsewhere.:D

502fm.jpg

w0hs8h.jpg

33o3bte.jpg

10n9b0g.jpg

1zfo7xi.jpg

Unfortunately the kids pool is another major design flaw of S-class ships.

In fact, childred are playing in the adult pool area.

Two pools are separated by a narrow bridge.

This design decision can be accepted anywhere but not on a "modern luxury" ship.

To be continued...

"Unfortunately the kids pool is another major design flaw of S-class ships.

This design decision can be accepted anywhere but not on a "modern luxury" ship.

To be continued..."

And here we go, now it begins........................:rolleyes:

"Unfortunately the kids pool is another major design flaw of S-class ships.

To be continued..."

And here we go, now it begins........................:rolleyes:

Yes, but gotta admit it's entertaining. Doesn't matter.... I look forward to sailing on Solstice in May to Alaska and Reflection(:eek: did he say Reflection?) possibly as part of a back to back with the second leg being on Allure. It'll make for one heck of a live review :D

We sailed last year on the Eclipse during Spring Break and had a wonderful time. Just loved every aspect of the ship, but do/did have only one criticism, which was in the buffet area, felt the constant vibration on the floor. Other than that, we had a great time and would sail on her again.

Everyone does need to remember that everyone's interpetation of a cruise ship is that individual's viewpoint and not necessarily the viewpoints of all others who have sailed the same ship. One individuals likes can and could be another's dislikes.

To quote my most influential person in my life, my mother - "To Each Thier Own, and Don't Sweat The Small Stuff!"

Let's finish with Celebrity Eclipse interiors in general.

Some nice smaller public rooms (extra charge restaurants) will be covered in Dining chapter.

I cannot skip the front observation lounge (Sky Lounge).

Unfortunately the photos were not saved.

So... there will be a quick glance, mostly from outside.

#1 - panoramic Sky Lounge

j8i42p.jpg

2chn6oo.jpg

16lej61.jpg

wbcpd2.jpg

xpmrs2.jpg

Archived