The Splendor and Misery of Celebrity: Eclipse and S-Class Ships Review in Pictures

cruisetrail

Thank you.

Doesn't Celebrity Cruises have their history?

Anything to be proud of?

Anything to be put on display (images of their famous ships of the past and present, paintings, murals that reflect significant events in their history, ship models, views of their home ports, etc.)?

You need to cruise HAL. Their ships are full of that kind of stuff.

You need to cruise HAL. Their ships are full of that kind of stuff.

Agreed. I'm a HAL fan and do enjoy the classic looks of their ships, both exterior and interior. That does not make them "better" ships just different from others. Personally, I find Celebrity's ships to be a bit too modern but that is just me. If we all matched in lockstep, the world would be a pretty dull place.

Which makes me wonder why in the future he will be sailing on Norwegian Breakaway and Royal Princess(a ship he already ridiculed in another thread and it hasn't even sailed for the first time yet) :rolleyes:

Love/hate relationship with new build ships?

I'm loving the pics, thanks, and I like how the OP is comparing different styles, though I don't know what the relevance is :confused:

I feel like I'm at a seminar on a sea day. Now where's my cocktail? :D

It makes me realise I wouldn't like the dark, traditional ships. I much prefer the boutique style of S class and other newer ships. :o

For those concerned about why we talk about celbrity interiors vs Art Deco ships - it was clearly explained in this post above.

About Princess not being Art Deco / Nautical theme ships - as was mentioned...

Princess Grand Class ships are classic cruise ships.

By no means they are Art Deco ships.

There are some noticeable links to Art Deco in their decor though..

For example, this fragment of Princess ship decor is pure Art Deco (symmetry, simple rectangular form, marble cladding, quality metal finish):

vzd3kj.jpg

There are a lot more there.

The nautical theme is well presented on Princess:

119ynn5.jpg

2iaycsl.jpg

Princess ships are beautiful cruise ships. They are full of sea travel traditions both in design and service.

But they are not Art Deco ships.

Next is very surprising place on a central axis of a cruise ship.

It looks like an Art Deco laboratory for the students of a school of art.

Guess what ship is this...

ax1a8i.jpg

Concluding the Art Deco topic.

Celebrity S-class ships with separated public spaces, asymmetric Grand Foyer, lack of long vistas, lack of axial planning, lack of a general theme in decor has little to nothing in common with great Art Deco ocean liners.

Again, I am not talking about small items in distant corners that may or may not look like Art Deco pieces.

Celebrity S-class ships are designed as ordinary cruise ships with a lateral (shopping) passage as a major “avenue”.

I cannot blame Celebrity for that because it’s a common thing on a typical cruise ship.

Not being an Art Deco ship is not a misery of Celebrity.

However, S-class ships are large enough for an axial plan.

Had they implemented this luxury principle on their S-class ships, what interiors they could have had!

That would probably fill the bill for "modern luxury".

There are larger cruise ships that use the advantage of axial planning.

These are Royal Caribbean ships from the Voyager class and higher.

Although these glitzy cruise ships are not claiming “modern luxury” status, they are beautifully designed structurally – way better than any of Celebrity ships. We’ll take a look at that later.

Another example is the Norwegian Epic.

Sadly, the implementation of the axial plan is awful on this ship.

NCL is working on their Epic mistakes. Their new flagship is going to be a “humanized” version of the Epic. I don’t expect it to be an Art Deco ship but the axial planning will do a good job for this new vessel.

Thanks to Cruisingbart for the idea of comparison with Art Deco ships.

This is a good bridge to the next topic - Celebrity S-Class ships layout.

Stay tuned!

Give it a rest! Why aren't you finally done with this foolish pictorial opinion fest? Why do all ships have to adhere to your narrow minded idea of what a ship should look like? If S-class ships were so badly designed, then why are they so darn popular? Why? You apparently don't have a clue!!!!

Beating%20a%20dead%20horse%20plain.jpg

Celebrity S-Class Ships Layout

From outside to inside.

These ships have nicely looking profile with two impressive funnels.

efhq10.jpg

Unfortunately there is a row of huge metal supports for the upper deck overhang. It looks like the ship is still under construction.

This strange "fish bones" design was inherited from the older Celebrity ships:

jugu4m.jpg

If you are going to cruise on Celebrity S-Class ships, get familiar with two things: the "hump" and the "overhang".

The hump is a wider midship part of the superstructure.

The balconies on the hump are "closer to the sea" and have no lifeboats underneath.

The forward part of the superstructure creates a sort of a hump as well (not as wide as the "real" hump).

2me3qc.jpg

A big "X" on the hump tells us that this is the Celebrity Solstice.

mjs7rc.jpg

f2neww.jpg

1gsynq.jpg

To be continued...

Give it a rest! Why aren't you finally done with this foolish pictorial opinion fest? Why do all ships have to adhere to your narrow minded idea of what a ship should look like? If S-class ships were so badly designed, then why are they so darn popular? Why? You apparently don't have a clue!!!!

And one wonders why you feel the need to read this "foolish pictorial opinion fest" anyway...

Understanding the "overhang".

This massive overhang with huge supports is a quite unique feature of Celebrity.

The only overhang of this size I remember is on MSC ships.

However, they have managed to maintain cleaner lines without huge supports.

9ld7rd.jpg

Celebrity Solstice and Oceania Marina:

dcze68.jpg

Approximate cross-sectional scheme of Celebrity Eclipse upper decks (the buffet area).

xub8p.jpg

2u5rpld.jpg

Enjoy!

Next is - about ships statistics.

To be continued...

As long as comments continue the OP will keep going.Let it die, stop adding fuel to the fire.

You are absolutely correct. I have just now put him on my IGNORE list. All of his postings have disappeared. I can see an improvement on these boards already! :D

Understanding the "overhang".

This massive overhang with huge supports is a quite unique feature of Celebrity.

The only overhang of this size I remember is on MSC ships.

However, they have managed to maintain cleaner lines without huge supports

Enjoy!

Next is - about ships statistics.

To be continued...

I deliberately book under the overhang, love the shade, & protection from the sun, & rain. Nice thing is, there are plenty of cabin options not under the overhang for those who don't like it. :)

Other nice thing, plenty of cruiselines to choose from if you don't like Celebrity's design choices :)

Room for many on the seas...

I for one do thank the OP for this very interesting collage of pictures.

I am a freak regarding details and slight differences among sister ships, this topic is great:)

Me too. No need to read it if you don't want to :eek:.

It won't put anyone off sailing S class, quite the reverse I think.

It's great to see different external aspects of the Solstice, which I disembarked 2 weeks ago. You don't get that view when you are sailing.

Off topic, sorry: have you had chance to fly the A380 yet Despegue? We flew the Emirates A380 to Dubai for the last cruise. What a fantastic plane; so smooth and felt solidly safe, with a stunning interior. It seemed such a short take off too. :)

Archived