The Splendor and Misery of Celebrity: Eclipse and S-Class Ships Review in Pictures

cruisetrail

Yes, but gotta admit it's entertaining. Doesn't matter.... I look forward to sailing on Solstice in May to Alaska and Reflection(:eek: did he say Reflection?) possibly as part of a back to back with the second leg being on Allure. It'll make for one heck of a live review :D

I love the picture in your signature.

I suppose the difference for me is if the line is looking too long I do not join it, I go elsewhere.:D

Yes...but for a pasta freak (as I am), when I'm 10th on line for the only pasta station.....I wait.....and simmer

With regards to no nautical heritage onboard, the OP is incorrect.

... the ship has a very nautical art deco style, and if one is knowledgeable about the Transatlantic liner era, one will agree that the interiours of all Celebrity vessels are much more similar to that era than the bland interiours of for example Princess.

The MDR onboard S class vessels is a throwback to the art deco style grand dining rooms of the Ocean liners built in the thirties. That was the main design inspiration for mr. Tihani, the interior architect of the MDR.

So you see, a real ship buff does find a lot of nautical inspiration onboard Celebrity ships.

I must concur with the OP though that I have not seen a truly obvious picture gallery of previous ships, and that the promenade is a sad thing to behold, howver standard now on all new designs., including Princess.

OK.

As promised, we'll talk about "a very nautical art deco style" of Celebrity S-class ships.

This is a description of SS Ile de France – one of the most notable Art Deco ships that pioneered this style on board grand ocean liners.

“The first-Class grand salon presented a modern coffered ceiling and indirect lighting scheme, blood red columns and highly polished veneer walls; the triple-deck-high dining room displayed vast expanses of marble cladding and stark overhead rows of rectangular lighting fixtures, boldly geometric carpeting and impressionist paintings.”

Nowadays this style in décor could be called a sort of “garish”, bold.

As you see, this description of the Art Deco ocean liner is way too far from Celebrity S-class.

Just look at the Eclipse main dining room that is very reserved in tone and simple in decoration used.

Yes, there are some isolated details that might belong to Art Deco in general.

For example, the chrome columns.

This is another example that looks more like Art Nouveau (?) - floral theme + veneer cladding.

lz9m9.jpg

But if you look at the whole thing (the ship’s “main avenue”), you’ll see that this piece of interior is simply lost in a busy shopping passage.

eu277p.jpg

One more thing I have noticed.

The ceiling I saw in one of RMS Queen Mary halls…

6rkqs1.jpg

… and a fragment of the Eclipse theatre ceiling.

3483uw6.jpg

SS Ile de France was a trendsetter ship.

But the most outstanding Art Deco ships came later: SS L’Atlantique and the incomparable SS Normandie.

Bold geometry and colors, rich ornaments, clear spaces, quality materials, human forms and machinery theme in artworks... – this is Art Deco.

This fragment of a cut-away model of SS Normandie gives some idea of her public rooms grand scale and decor (nautical theme).

292s8qs.jpg

Symmetry as a key principle of Art Deco was used in SS L’Atlantique and SS Normandie fantasticinteriors.

They were arranged on a sophisticated axial plan, with widely divided funnel and engine uptakes creating an impressive central thoroughfare.

There was a majestic enfilade of public spaces designed and decorated in Art Deco style that asserted a new implementation of ocean-going luxury, expressed in the scale and geometry of the ship itself.

RMS Queen Mary was a more traditional ocean liner (structurally) but her interiors were created under strong influence of Art Deco.

Note the Atlantic mural map, with its clck and the routes on which the ship's position at sea was idicated by a tiny model.

2h83bkn.jpg

To be continued..

.........SS Ile de France was a trendsetter ship.

But the most outstanding Art Deco ships came later: SS L’Atlantique and the incomparable SS Normandie.

Bold geometry and colors, rich ornaments, clear spaces, quality materials, human forms and machinery theme in artworks... – this is Art Deco.

This fragment of a cut-away model of SS Normandie gives some idea of her public rooms grand scale and decor (nautical theme).........

Many who have an interest in the SS Normandie and its Art Deco style enjoy seeing artifacts from the ship that have been preserved in the Normandie Restaurant on the Celebrity Summit.

Here is a link to photos and descriptions provided by Beyond Ships

Celebrity Summit - Normandie Restaurant

P.S. The food in the restaurant is very good, but even if you are not dining there, you can go in when they are not serving meals and ask to look around.

If you take the ship's guided galley tour, it includes an interesting tour of the Normandie Restaurant with a presentation describing the items you see there that came from the SS Normandie.

Many who have an interest in the SS Normandie and its Art Deco style enjoy seeing artifacts from the ship that have been preserved in the Normandie Restaurant on the Celebrity Summit.

Here is a link to photos and descriptions provided by Beyond Ships

Celebrity Summit - Normandie Restaurant

P.S. The food in the restaurant is very good, but even if you are not dining there, you can go in when they are not serving meals and ask to look around.

If you take the ship's guided galley tour, it includes an interesting tour of the Normandie Restaurant with a presentation describing the items you see there that came from the SS Normandie.

Very interesting, I will need to check it out when I get onto the Summit.:D

Art Deco continued..

RMS Queen Mary

315zvia.jpg

Note that these most notable Art Deco ocean liners did not feature a chandelier to dominate major internal spaces.

Now let's have a look at the modern incarnation of the splendid Art Deco ocean liners - RMS Queen Mary 2 (QM2).

Center axis planning.

Clear spaces.

Long vistas.

Bas relief panels.

Bold geometry.

Rich ornament and colors.

Left: SS Normandie

Right: RMS Queen Mary 2

aviivd.jpg

Art Deco on the QM2.

2lkpn5w.jpg

99qk9i.jpg

Now (as requested) we are going back to Celebrity Eclipse "modern luxury" MDR to look at it from the prospective of Art Deco ocean liners.

To be continued...

Let’s take another look at the Eclipse main dining room.

I can repeat here again that Celebrity S-class ships MDRs are pleasantly designed public rooms.

But in comparison with Art Deco ocean liners they look rather pale.

First of all, Celebrity MDR lacks an appropriate entrance.

There is no way for the gests for the ritual dinner grand descent to the First-class restaurant.

Even without comparing incomparable, it shows the lack of class.

Yes, there is a stairway there but look at it.

It’s not impressive at all.

Note the low ceiling and inappropriately placed columns.

96i5jl.jpg

Let’s put it next to the Queen Mary 2 photos.

What a difference in scale and impression!

And this is not a design "with ocean liners in mind" - this is a real classic and classy ocean liner design.

Note that the QM2 carries fewer passengers than Celebrity ships and needs a smaller MDR.

dqg7eg.jpg

A closer look.

Compare matte glass (like in a hospital – privacy!) stairway on the Celebrity Eclipse with the etched-glass stairway (SS Normandie motif) on the QM2.

mih0fb.jpg

The first one leads to the sides, the second one leads to the center.

And the most striking difference:

- Celebrity stairway is built against a dead wall, it lacks prospective

- QM2 stairway opens a prospective along the central axis of the ship

Celebrity guests enter MDR from the corners, like a canteen.

It looks ordinary, not festive.

QM2 guests make their gala arrival in the MDR.

As we enter MDRs on these two ships, what do we see on the opposite side?

Left: Celebrity Eclipse

Right: Queen Mary 2 (bringing memories of the Arcadian landscape that adorned SS Ile de France MDR)

14uw9xe.jpg

And the ceiling.

As mentioned before, a chandelier dominating grand public spaces is absolutely out of place on an Art Deco ship. Chandeliers can be found in smaller rooms, but not in the major ones.

Celebrity Eclipse has a chandelier in the Grand Foyer (atrium) and a huge one in the MDR.

It's nice but this is closer to RCI "provincial luxury" rather than to modern luxury of Art Deco ocean liners.

2ugdv1j.jpg

Queen Mary 2 MDR.

No chandelier.

Note illuminated coffered ceiling that changes colors – deep blue in evenings.

Just have a glance at the SS Ile de France description one more time…

4lksbr.jpg

Coming next: a few notes about other cruise ships in connction with Art Deco topic.

To be continued...

This is absurd, this is a Celebrity forum. What do we care about art deco on other ships?????!!! Time to give it up and bring someplace else.:rolleyes:

Agree! Talk about beating a dead horse. OP has a lot of free time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no way to compare two entirely different ships,modern vs. art deco.Why is this thread on the Celebrity board?

Because obviously the OP has something against Celebrity, especially their ships. Ok fine, so they're not like the Queen Mary 2 or another "art deco" cruise ship. Then stick to something like that.... problem solved

Great photos of my two favorite ships, Eclipse and QM2, I sail them both regularly. They are hardly comparable and I enjoy them each for how opposite they are. Its absurd to compare the two expecially in decor. This thread is done

Where's the LIKE button? Great post

I also love the Eclipse and QM2 and am an Art Deco enthusiast. It is kind of pointless comparing the two ships because they exploit this style in such different ways to enhance the infrastructure, and both succeed really well, But Eclipse also is way more modernistic in that it mixes many other styles, which i found very interesting. However my personal belief is that the overall style of QM2 will be most commemorated in the future. I really am enjoying your photos and your opinions, even if I don't agree with it all.

Ok my rant for the day.

Give the OP a break, you do not have to follow what he is reviewing. I would suggest that the OP is really into architecture and design. Ok, they may be comparing to different ships with differing designs but it is their thread. I for one, am enjoying the pictures of the different ships.:D

. I really am enjoying your opinions, even if I don't agree with it all.

Ok my rant for the day.

Give the OP a break, you do not have to follow what he is reviewing. I would suggest that the OP is really into architecture and design. Ok, they may be comparing to different ships with differing designs but it is their thread. I for one, am enjoying the pictures of the different ships.:D

Apparently, you haven't read his rants against Reflection, a ship he refuses to sail on. He has zero first hand knowledge of her, but that small detail hasn't stopped him from condemning the ship anyway. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1719910 Apparently, to him his opinions are more valid than actual facts provided by people who have sailed on her already.

I have enjoyed the photos of Eclipse, as long as he was refraining from spewing his negative opinions. That, unfortunately, couldn't last. :rolleyes:

This kind of apples-to-oranges comparison is like going to a Rocky Mountain website and posting photos of Hawaiian beaches, complaining that the Rocky Mountains are not impressive at all and pale by comparison to a beach vacation because they lack beaches, ocean waves and sites for snorkeling.

Hmmm, I wonder if the OP does that too. :D

But I must give him credit for achieving his objective here -- drawing exactly the type of reaction to his bait that he wanted and anticipated. ;)

Ok my rant for the day.

I enjoy the pictures as well. I don't have a problem with that. My problem is that it appears unless the ship is the Queen Mary 2 or one of the classic luxury liners, then the ship is automatically not worth sailing on.

Which makes me wonder why in the future he will be sailing on Norwegian Breakaway and Royal Princess(a ship he already ridiculed in another thread and it hasn't even sailed for the first time yet) :rolleyes:

Archived