NCL Wine Package: I ran the numbers and here is what I found

Cambrensis

Others have commented that the multi-bottle package offered by NCL may make more sense than BYO @ $15/bottle corkage. I shopped our local wine store (Maryland, subject to 9% tax – but if you buy a case you get a 10% discount so it is essentially a wash) and here is what I found, compared to NCL’s Viva Vino packages:

There are 3 packages, of moderately varying price (remember, price does not equal quality with wine): Enthusiast, Aficionado, Connisseur. You can choose a 4, 6 or 8 bottle package. For most of my comparisons, I used 6 bottles.

“Enthusiast” package wines retail locally for about $8.99, though some were a little cheaper. NCL regular price for these is $24-30. If you buy the 4-bottle package for $88, plus 15% gratuity, you would pay $101.20. If you bring 4 bottles @ $8.99, net of tax and case discount, and pay $15 + 15% per bottle corkage it would be about $96 – a savings of $5. Buy 8 and save about $10. Probably not worth lugging the wine.

The “Aficionado” package options retail for about 9.99 – 11.99; NCL charges $31-38 + 15%. I used $10.99, and assumed 6 bottles, thus: 6 x 10.99 = $66 + (6 x $15*1.15 corkage) = $169.50, vs. $146 package x 1.15 = $167.90 incl. gratuity – essentially break even.

The “Connisseur” package, $162 + 15% = $186.30 for 6 bottles, includes wines which NCL prices at $33-44, but retail looks to be about $12.99. So to take 6 bottles and pay corkage – it would be about $181 -- again, pretty much a wash.

Note that all of these wines are really pretty inexpensive, and at a markup of about 250% of retail, I am guessing higher end wines, even with the $15 corkage fee, would be more economically bought locally. In other words – the better the wine, the more you save if you take it.

So, next analysis, I will use the NCL fleet-wide wine price list and compare higher-priced wines that are not included in the Viva Vino package.

My plan at this point is to take 3-4 bottles of better wine; and buy a 4-bottle package for “everyday” quality drinking.

I appreciate someone who enjoys the math. We are a group that always brings our own although it looks like the math is getting better. Typical wine at $9.00 (Australian/Large winery Californian) plus $15 corkage =$24. NCL does not charge a gratuity markup on wines brought on board. $24 x 4 = $96. A four bottle package as described at $88 plus gratuity with a $5 difference does not make it worth the effort to lug wine. We are fine with the lower end of wines so our June trip may be a change of pace and we will buy on board.

I appreciate someone who enjoys the math. We are a group that always brings our own although it looks like the math is getting better. Typical wine at $9.00 (Australian/Large winery Californian) plus $15 corkage =$24. NCL does not charge a gratuity markup on wines brought on board. $24 x 4 = $96. A four bottle package as described at $88 plus gratuity with a $5 difference does not make it worth the effort to lug wine. We are fine with the lower end of wines so our June trip may be a change of pace and we will buy on board.

I had read elsewhere on the board that 15% was added to corkage. WOuld appreciate confirmation from others one way or the other. If not -- the package deal is even more favorable.

I would definitely agree - the higher price the wine the more you save. I can buy a bottle of Veuve Cliquot Champagne for about $45, add the $15 cork fee and your at $60. NCL charges $82 + 12.30 (15% grat)for the same thing - that's a savings of $34 to bring your own!

I had read elsewhere on the board that 15% was added to corkage. WOuld appreciate confirmation from others one way or the other. If not -- the package deal is even more favorable.

The corkage fee is the total fee. No additional 15% added.

John

The number crunching is very helpful. We're boarding next year in Copenhagen. We travel with carry on luggage so we can't bring wine from home. I haven't checked wine prices in copenhagen but it's a very expensive city; I dpon't expect to get any bargains if I buy it there. Add the corkage fee, and the wine package looks better and better in comparison. We generally drink half a bottle at dinner (one glass each), so the 6 bottle package will handle the 12 day cruise; perhaps the 8 bottle package in order to have a little in the suite. We're back-to-back with another 12 day cruise back to Miami, so it looks like two packages for the 24 days.

We'll be in a suite so I believe we'll get one bottle of sparkling wine. On another cruise line we sail often, we can exchange that welcome bottle of "champagne" for a bottle of house red at dinner. Does NCL do the same?

We'll be in a suite so I believe we'll get one bottle of sparkling wine. On another cruise line we sail often, we can exchange that welcome bottle of "champagne" for a bottle of house red at dinner. Does NCL do the same?

We've never had a problem exchanging the "champagne" for sailing in a suite for a bottle of house wine - in our case white.

It also depends if you can tolerate NCL's wine list. I don't drink very expensive wine and still bring 3-4 bottles of my choosing knowing I'll be much happier than taking a chance on unfamiliar wines and vintages. I've gotten some utterly awful bottles on board cruise ships, a few I'm pretty much convinced because it is not handled properly some where along the line. For me it isn't so much about the $, but getting what I know will be a good bottle I will enjoy on vacation......

It also depends if you can tolerate NCL's wine list. I don't drink very expensive wine and still bring 3-4 bottles of my choosing knowing I'll be much happier than taking a chance on unfamiliar wines and vintages. I've gotten some utterly awful bottles on board cruise ships, a few I'm pretty much convinced because it is not handled properly some where along the line. For me it isn't so much about the $, but getting what I know will be a good bottle I will enjoy on vacation......

I'm with you - wines I know I like + $15 = happy me!:)

No, there is not an additional 15 percent automatic gratuity added to the corkage fee.

I'm not sure but I was told while there is not corkage if you open in your cabin,there is a 15% corkage fee if you bring your bottle to the dining room.

Anyone know for sure?

Not sure where you heard this but it is completely inaccurate.

All bottles of wine brought onboard any NCL ship will incur a $15 corkage fee. The charge is for one 750-ml bottle. Larger bottles incur a larger fee. Boxed wine is not allowed. Upon paying the corkage fee, you will be able to enjoy the wine anywhere on the ship. This includes main restaurants, specialty dining venues, lounges, bars AND your cabin. The corkage fee has nothing to do with removing the cork from the bottle. It is a fee that NCL charges to offset the revenue lost by you not purchasing a bottle of wine from their wine list.

I'm not sure but I was told while there is not corkage if you open in your cabin,there is a 15% corkage fee if you bring your bottle to the dining room.

Anyone know for sure?

That used to be the case, that's where you probably heard it. We bought some nice bottles in SFO and SEA on a Pacific Coastal, when they saw that it was wine there was no charge. But that was then, this is now!

:D

Others have commented that the multi-bottle package offered by NCL may make more sense than BYO @ $15/bottle corkage. I shopped our local wine store (Maryland, subject to 9% tax – but if you buy a case you get a 10% discount so it is essentially a wash) and here is what I found, compared to NCL’s Viva Vino packages:

There are 3 packages, of moderately varying price (remember, price does not equal quality with wine): Enthusiast, Aficionado, Connisseur. You can choose a 4, 6 or 8 bottle package. For most of my comparisons, I used 6 bottles.

“Enthusiast” package wines retail locally for about $8.99, though some were a little cheaper. NCL regular price for these is $24-30. If you buy the 4-bottle package for $88, plus 15% gratuity, you would pay $101.20. If you bring 4 bottles @ $8.99, net of tax and case discount, and pay $15 + 15% per bottle corkage it would be about $96 – a savings of $5. Buy 8 and save about $10. Probably not worth lugging the wine.

The “Aficionado” package options retail for about 9.99 – 11.99; NCL charges $31-38 + 15%. I used $10.99, and assumed 6 bottles, thus: 6 x 10.99 = $66 + (6 x $15*1.15 corkage) = $169.50, vs. $146 package x 1.15 = $167.90 incl. gratuity – essentially break even.

The “Connisseur” package, $162 + 15% = $186.30 for 6 bottles, includes wines which NCL prices at $33-44, but retail looks to be about $12.99. So to take 6 bottles and pay corkage – it would be about $181 -- again, pretty much a wash.

Note that all of these wines are really pretty inexpensive, and at a markup of about 250% of retail, I am guessing higher end wines, even with the $15 corkage fee, would be more economically bought locally. In other words – the better the wine, the more you save if you take it.

So, next analysis, I will use the NCL fleet-wide wine price list and compare higher-priced wines that are not included in the Viva Vino package.

My plan at this point is to take 3-4 bottles of better wine; and buy a 4-bottle package for “everyday” quality drinking.

The only problem with this analysis is that retail costs vary so much by area that your comparison is only valid for your location.

Anyone know for sure?

If you bring wine onto the ship, you are charged a $15 fee. NCL puts a sticker on the bottle and you pay nothing else even if you bring it into the dining room. We have done this before and were never charged any other fee.

That used to be the case, that's where you probably heard it. We bought some nice bottles in SFO and SEA on a Pacific Coastal, when they saw that it was wine there was no charge. But that was then, this is now!

:D

I think they meant to write $15 corkage fee and not 15 percent.

Leaving tomorrow on the Gem out of NYC. From experience, we will be bringing 4 bottles of Red and pay the fee. We are driving so this option is available to us.

It is not about the $$, it's about having wine you like.

I will buy a glass if I want to try somethng new but not a whole bottle.

Lynda

Archived