Delta Flights with Skymiles

tulips*n*truffles

Hi there! I'm a Delta flyer with "silver medallion" status in the Skymiles program. I was hopeful I'd garner some perks with that status, but so far, nada. I travel a lot, but this time just for pleasure, so I'm hoping to use some of the ridiculous number of miles I've been holding on to!

I'm trying to book a flight from MSP or DSM to LHR with skymiles, and literally every 10 minutes, the options change. I can't figure this out! One minute, flying first is less miles than economy, the next minute the flight doesn't exist anymore, then 10 minutes later, it's back with higher miles than ever. I'm still getting used to the new website, but it's never been this hard to plan before! Any suggestions?!

Also I had thought about waiting until January to book, thinking I might score a deal after Christmas, but I've gotten burned waiting before...thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Natalie

If you have firm dates, there is no reason to wait to book if you find what you want. DL is one of the worst airlines on which to find low mileage award tickets. You can also use your DL miles on other airlines in their alliance (KLM, AF, etc.) if seats are available.

Have you tried calling an agent and having them search? Availability can constantly change, and you never know when seats will be released.

Hi there! I'm a Delta flyer with "silver medallion" status in the Skymiles program. I was hopeful I'd garner some perks with that status, but so far, nada.

No perks with silver status? I think you don't understand Delta's benefits/perks for silver medallion status. First checked bag free, exit row seats at the time of booking, 25% bonus miles are just three that come to mind that you should be taking advantage of every flight.

I'm trying to book a flight from MSP or DSM to LHR with skymiles, and literally every 10 minutes, the options change. I can't figure this out! One minute, flying first is less miles than economy, the next minute the flight doesn't exist anymore, then 10 minutes later, it's back with higher miles than ever. I'm still getting used to the new website, but it's never been this hard to plan before! Any suggestions?!

Delta is hard but not impossible to find low level award seats. It takes a LOT of work. First of all, if you are looking for FIRST class with Delta internationally you will never find it. Delta doesn't offer international first class awards, only economy and business (you can not book other partners' first class awards using Delta miles). Secondly, you can't use the award calendar on their website. Thirdly, you need to either do a lot of checking on your own online (delta.com helps but you should also use airfrance.us and expertflyer.com). Two much better options for the inexperienced are either to call and "hope" the agent is willing to spend time helping you or to pay an award booking service +-$100-$150 to find seats for you. The people running most award booking services know the ins and outs of each program, know the partners, know how to use the websites I mentioned above, etc. If they save you tens of thousands of miles in the process, it is a good return on your investment.

Hi there! I'm a Delta flyer with "silver medallion" status in the Skymiles program. I was hopeful I'd garner some perks with that status, but so far, nada.

No perks with silver status? I think you don't understand Delta's benefits/perks for silver medallion status. First checked bag free, exit row seats at the time of booking, 25% bonus miles are just three that come to mind that you should be taking advantage of every flight.

To add to what frugaltravel said, the free checked bag can save you $50 round trip, which is nothing to sneeze at. I agree that comp'd upgrades for silver medallions can be difficult, but you get a much better seat selection, as frugaltravel pointed out, bonus miles, priority check in, and priority boarding. Granted you'll be in Zone 1, which is after the preboards, first class, and higher level medallions who didn't get upgraded, and at the same time as Delta credit card holders and a few others, but you'll still board early enough to find plenty of overhead space for your carry on bag. You get discounts on economy comfort seats, higher call priority than the average Joe, and you're less likely to get bumped if the flight is oversold.

Another one of those Delta ff'ers here.....

Low tier awards are next to impossible to find especially to Europe during peak season.

To enhance your search try a couple of things...

Clear your cookies.

Search for one ticket at a time.

Your options for LHR are via a number of gateways so be creative. It tedious so look for a gateway like Detroit, Atlanta or JFK. Minneapolis would be the easiest for you I'm sure, but don't overlook Boston either. If you could snag lows from any of the above then put them on the 24 hour hold and work around your domestic connections.

Good luck. It's challenging.

The only problem with booking one ticket at a time is that the carrier can IDB one without the other and you'd have no choice by to fly onward and meet up at your destination--even a couple of days later.

This would not be a major worry for me, or prevent me from booking one ticket at a time. You can have your reservations "linked" to note you are traveling together (of course, this does not mean anyone will read this notation). If you check in at the 24 hour mark, your odds of being IDB are pretty low. I'd book what I could find.

I am assuming, probably incorrectly, that both tulips 'n truffles have medallion status, which gives them a leg up when it comes to IROPS or IDB's. That wouldn't necessarily bother me either, thanks 6rugrats.

Don't know if you follow Flyertalk but our OP posted the same question on the Delta forum and, lo and behold, she got the same advice. Maybe we're not so bad afterall.

Goodness I didn't think it was bad advice at all! I've not flown economy in a couple of decades and I'm literally just looking for advice...that's it! And I wasn't trying to knock my silver medallion status at all - I was meaning that so far on *this* trip, I'm not finding a leg up on booking. Yes, there are major perks to medallion status - I wasn't trying to say otherwise. :-(

The only problem with booking one ticket at a time is that the carrier can IDB one without the other and you'd have no choice by to fly onward and meet up at your destination--even a couple of days later.

Do you have proof that two people in a reservation never have one that is IDB'd? I have actually seen it happen (when I was VDB'd off the same flight). So I don't believe your comment is accurate.

And I wasn't trying to knock my silver medallion status at all - I was meaning that so far on *this* trip, I'm not finding a leg up on booking. Yes, there are major perks to medallion status - I wasn't trying to say otherwise. :-(

...but in fact you did say otherwise:

I was hopeful I'd garner some perks with that status, but so far, nada.

I'll communicate more clearly in the future. I failed to include three words "on this trip" and apparently have offended other travelers. My mistake. But I do appreciate you calling me out...

Don't take it personally! Some posters seem to live to point out "mistakes" and argue. Good luck finding the tickets you want!

Don't take it personally! Some posters seem to live to point out "mistakes" and argue. Good luck finding the tickets you want!

Thanks rugrats! I just get frustrated that people take offense to an opinion and the omission of words. It's just not necessary! I did find a ticket - not exactly what I was looking for - but only spent about 150k miles on it plus fees and upgrades to economy plus. So for *this* trip, it'll do. :-) Thanks again for all of the help! Very much appreciated!

Thanks rugrats! I just get frustrated that people take offense to an opinion and the omission of words. It's just not necessary! I did find a ticket - not exactly what I was looking for - but only spent about 150k miles on it plus fees and upgrades to economy plus. So for *this* trip, it'll do. :-) Thanks again for all of the help! Very much appreciated!

It can be very difficult when communicating on the 'net to get/communicate the right meaning, which is why I usually don't take anything too personally. The important thing is, you booked your tickets! And, in case you missed it, I answered your question re: flying from Southampton to Paris on the other thread on the British Isles board

I'll communicate more clearly in the future. I failed to include three words "on this trip" and apparently have offended other travelers. My mistake. But I do appreciate you calling me out...

I was not offended and I don't think waterbug was either. I think neither of us truly understood what you meant to write. I know I am not a mind reader. We just took what you wrote at face value and commented on such. Sorry if you were offended by what either of us wrote.

I use hundreds of thousands of Delta miles a year, almost always at low award levels. It does take a lot of work to find low level, not to mention flexibility. But I have traveled all over the world on Delta miles, so I know it is possible. But without knowledge of the tools and spending a lot of time, it is very hard. Getting a Delta phone agent who will work with you is very difficult - they have been known to say that they will look up 3 options (3 dates or three city pairs) then have to hang up.

I was not offended and I don't think waterbug was either. I think neither of us truly understood what you meant to write. I know I am not a mind reader. We just took what you wrote at face value and commented on such. Sorry if you were offended by what either of us wrote.

Correct, I was not offended, just honestly thought maybe you didn't fully realize all the silver medallion perks. Plus, I often answer a post not just to respond to the OP, but additionally the for benefit of others who may be following the thread, especially lurkers who may never post but soak up any and all info. :)

Tulipsntruffles,

I'm so glad you found something that would work.

Now just hope Delta doesn't have too many flight "adjustments."

We had a Delta first with one of those flight adjustments Sunday. Of course the aircraft changed but so did our reservation number. I've never had that before. I guess that's the new Delta.dumb in action.

Have a great trip.

I'm one of those lurkers! I would appreciate any responses on how I did with my delta miles. This is only the 2nd time I used them. I'm far from a seasoned traveler but thought I did well.

JFK to LHR August 2013 Business Class 100,000 miles r/t

It was a fairly easy process for me to obtain these seats. Same flights now are at 212,500 pp r/t

Wondering what the experts think!

I'm one of those lurkers! I would appreciate any responses on how I did with my delta miles. This is only the 2nd time I used them. I'm far from a seasoned traveler but thought I did well.

JFK to LHR August 2013 Business Class 100,000 miles r/t

It was a fairly easy process for me to obtain these seats. Same flights now are at 212,500 pp r/t

Wondering what the experts think!

You got a low level mileage award seat to a tourist destination during peak season... good for you!

Archived