anyone done a late arrival to Anchorage?

fireflymd

We are doing a land tour in Alaska first, before our cruise. Our TA booked us on a flight from NY that arrives into Anchorage just after midnight--we will be leaving Anchorage on a coach bus at 9:00 am for a 3 1/2 hour bus ride to Talkeetna.

He told us this is quite common to arrive late at night/early morning into Alaska, but I later found an earlier flight on a different airline.

Has anyone here done this--have you arrived into Alaska very late, then had to take a long bus ride that morning?

We are willing to incur the large fee penalty to cancel this flight and change to a flight that arrives at 1:30 pm instead. We have no interest in arriving the night before and spending an additional night in Anchorage. Do you think it would be beneficial to take this earlier flight? Or does it not matter and we will be tired regardless?

We are doing a land tour in Alaska first, before our cruise. Our TA booked us on a flight from NY that arrives into Anchorage just after midnight--we will be leaving Anchorage on a coach bus at 9:00 am for a 3 1/2 hour bus ride to Talkeetna.

He told us this is quite common to arrive late at night/early morning into Alaska, but I later found an earlier flight on a different airline.

Has anyone here done this--have you arrived into Alaska very late, then had to take a long bus ride that morning?

We are willing to incur the large fee penalty to cancel this flight and change to a flight that arrives at 1:30 pm instead. We have no interest in arriving the night before and spending an additional night in Anchorage. Do you think it would be beneficial to take this earlier flight? Or does it not matter and we will be tired regardless?

Yes, I have had later arrivals in Anchorage and Fairbanks, and NO, my planning would never have me considering your "schedule".

You state you have no interest in extra days- which can be very worthwhile, for additional touring opportunities, so you are going to have to determine, what the "worth" of coming in earlier, not sure why you allowed this booking at the time? You must know, it comes with the risk of missing your tour. More to determine, what you wish to do???

Do not underestimate the four hour time difference between NY and AK for your midnight landing. That will seem like 4am to your body.

You are still a long way from the actual flight. Airlines frequently change flight times to maximize passenger load.

Since you would have to pay extra a change fee--see if the airlines change you flight time. If they do it may be earlier--or you can call them and they will let you change to another flight without a fee. You will need to call and be proactive as soon as they notify you.

Don't count on your Alaska arrival late at night flight being changed.

I've seen far too many visitors to Alaska sleep through the first day of their visit on buses, trains and even over sleeping in their hotel.

Pay the fee and get the 1:30 pm arrival in Anchorage. Please tell your Travel Agent that her/his assumption is based on poor information.

We cannot book the earlier flight on the same day because it is on a different airline, and TA told us we have to stay within the original airline he booked. Otherwise we would lose the entire cost of the flight. This airline has only one flight from NY to Anchorage each day, and it arrives at midnight. (He originally told my husband all flights to Anchorage arrive around this time--which was clearly inaccurate.) So if we changed flights we would have to arrive the night before at midnight as well, but we cannot stay at the same hotel we are staying at with Princess for that night.

We hired this TA to give us guidance and advice, and find better rates. But this man pushed a certain cruiseline and a certain airline, and I pretty much found everything by myself searching online.

So now we have to decide if we want to pay the penalty, still arrive at 12:30 am, stay in a different hotel and then relocate the next day to the Princess-reserved hotel, or just deal with getting in to Anchorage very late on the same morning we leave for motorcoach to Talkeetna.

We cannot book the earlier flight on the same day because it is on a different airline, and TA told us we have to stay within the original airline he booked. Otherwise we would lose the entire cost of the flight. This airline has only one flight from NY to Anchorage each day, and it arrives at midnight. (He originally told my husband all flights to Anchorage arrive around this time--which was clearly inaccurate.) So if we changed flights we would have to arrive the night before at midnight as well, but we cannot stay at the same hotel we are staying at with Princess for that night.

We hired this TA to give us guidance and advice, and find better rates. But this man pushed a certain cruiseline and a certain airline, and I pretty much found everything by myself searching online.

So now we have to decide if we want to pay the penalty, still arrive at 12:30 am, stay in a different hotel and then relocate the next day to the Princess-reserved hotel, or just deal with getting in to Anchorage very late on the same morning we leave for motorcoach to Talkeetna.

You have to judge (by your own standards) of the value for money you will be getting with your decision.

If you arrive 24 hours ahead of your current schedule, you will have much more enjoyment of the bus tour up to Talkeetna. As I stated in an earlier post, many people sleep through Day 1 of their time in Alaska and miss a great deal.

If is even worse when people do the late night arrival and then rent a car and attempt to make a long drive.

Only you can make the decision. Wished you had asked here first.

You have to judge (by your own standards) of the value for money you will be getting with your decision.

If you arrive 24 hours ahead of your current schedule, you will have much more enjoyment of the bus tour up to Talkeetna. As I stated in an earlier post, many people sleep through Day 1 of their time in Alaska and miss a great deal.

If is even worse when people do the late night arrival and then rent a car and attempt to make a long drive.

Only you can make the decision. Wished you had asked here first.

Ha! Not as much as me! He asserted that these were the only times that were available. We didn't question him, because we trusted that he knew more than we did. Lesson learned. I actually don't think I will ever have any use for a travel agent again.

If we do decide to arrive 24 hours earlier, I wish there was a way we could stay at the same hotel. Considering his track record, I'm going to call Hotel Captain Cook myself and see if we can book that night before, which he says we cannot do. I don't mind switching rooms as much as I mind having to switch hotels.

Ha! Not as much as me! He asserted that these were the only times that were available. We didn't question him, because we trusted that he knew more than we did. Lesson learned. I actually don't think I will ever have any use for a travel agent again.

If we do decide to arrive 24 hours earlier, I wish there was a way we could stay at the same hotel. Considering his track record, I'm going to call Hotel Captain Cook myself and see if we can book that night before, which he says we cannot do. I don't mind switching rooms as much as I mind having to switch hotels.

The key is finding a GOOD travel agent just like in any service industry. Go check on the Cruise Air forum for posts about a person who could have saved a lot of grief, stress and money if she had let a competent agent assist her.

Which airline are you booked on and how much did the schedule change? If by more than 90-120 minutes you can usually cancel the flights for free and start over. Is this cruise air? If so then the rules are different.

I just can't sleep on a flight, and if I flew into Anchorage from the East Coast around mid-night I would be exhausted at 9 am when I started your tour.

If you can't stay at the Captain Cook the night before, there are other hotels very close to it. For example, the downtown Marriott is so close you could walk over to the Captain Cook in about five minutes.

The key is finding a GOOD travel agent just like in any service industry. Go check on the Cruise Air forum for posts about a person who could have saved a lot of grief, stress and money if she had let a competent agent assist her.

Which airline are you booked on and how much did the schedule change? If by more than 90-120 minutes you can usually cancel the flights for free and start over. Is this cruise air? If so then the rules are different.

We are booked on US Airways. There was no schedule change for the flight. We are considering booking a flight that arrives the same time the night before the one we have booked.

Our TA booked this flight directly. He told my DH that all the flights got in that late. He wasn't that far off, because most of the flights from NY do arrive in the evenings. The only flight we found that arrived in the afternoon was American Airlines. It made me wonder if this TA has a better arrangement with the airline he booked us with.

I just can't sleep on a flight, and if I flew into Anchorage from the East Coast around mid-night I would be exhausted at 9 am when I started your tour.

If you can't stay at the Captain Cook the night before, there are other hotels very close to it. For example, the downtown Marriott is so close you could walk over to the Captain Cook in about five minutes.

Appreciate that. It's just an additional annoyance to be in one hotel, then have to carry all our baggage to a new one. DH is not concerned at all--he is far more easygoing and accepting than I am, which is probably why he didn't question the flight arrangements made by the TA to begin with. He feels we can deal with it, and has only checked into changing the flight because of my concerns.

I'm not happy that I will have to pay a fee because of this TA's misinformation, and that there is no recourse for this.

We are booked on US Airways. There was no schedule change for the flight. We are considering booking a flight that arrives the same time the night before the one we have booked.

Our TA booked this flight directly. He told my DH that all the flights got in that late. He wasn't that far off, because most of the flights from NY do arrive in the evenings. The only flight we found that arrived in the afternoon was American Airlines. It made me wonder if this TA has a better arrangement with the airline he booked us with.

Appreciate that. It's just an additional annoyance to be in one hotel, then have to carry all our baggage to a new one. DH is not concerned at all--he is far more easygoing and accepting than I am, which is probably why he didn't question the flight arrangements made by the TA to begin with. He feels we can deal with it, and has only checked into changing the flight because of my concerns.

I'm not happy that I will have to pay a fee because of this TA's misinformation, and that there is no recourse for this.

For me, it is no big deal, changing hotels, everyone is different. However, I am certain, your TA was given DATES by you, and you probably indicated no preference for airline, times, and may have indicated costs were a priority. Flights from the east coast are not multiple, some airlines only have one per day. This agent may not have gone into the details of this, but, it is likely you gave specific dates, and were not open to getting there earlier, so this agent may have booked as you requested.

Have you verified, there are no rooms left at the Cpt Cook? DIRECTLY. I am also certain, if you call them direct, you very likely could get the same room as your cruisetour, if rooms are available. So, speculating may not be accurate.

It comes down to what your time is worth to you. Frankly, you only have a 2.5 hour ride, and many people find little to do in Talkeetna (reason I advocate for really digging into cruisetours, and making sure where you are going is where you want to be :) ) Even for some people, they note this as a day to "relax" (I don't relax in Alaska :) :) :) ) It may work out just fine if you are concerned about money.

Alternatively you would have the opportunity to have some extra sightseeing, which may be of interest. Plenty to see and do within Anchorage, and day trips. An excellent example is cheap ice trekking at Matanuska, due to no flight for access.

For me, it is no big deal, changing hotels, everyone is different. However, I am certain, your TA was given DATES by you, and you probably indicated no preference for airline, times, and may have indicated costs were a priority. Flights from the east coast are not multiple, some airlines only have one per day. This agent may not have gone into the details of this, but, it is likely you gave specific dates, and were not open to getting there earlier, so this agent may have booked as you requested.

You have made a lot of incorrect assumptions, and unless YOU are my idiot TA, you have no right to tell me what we told him.

You have made a lot of incorrect assumptions, and unless YOU are my idiot TA, you have no right to tell me what we told him.

Yes, I guess I am an idoit. You are right. This agent, could have just randomly booked you on a cruisetour with no idea when you wanted to go or for how long.

There are many classes and sorts of rooms in the Captain Cook Hotel in Anchorage. Telephone and chat (800) 843-1950. Tell the truth about your problems. See what they can do. When I arrive in Anchorage on a late flight & don't want to make a family member come fetch me, I often stay at the CC. Home away from..... etc.

Princess books the cheapest rooms.

I have a supurb Travel Agent and agree with frugaltravel on using a fine one when needs be.

Firefly: If you can afford it, I suggest flying in the night before. Maybe you can split the cost with your TA? Probably not, but I would ask, just to make your point how disappointed you are that s/he did not advise you well. I can surely understand your frustration when you thought you were getting a professional opinion, only to find out that your TA was not presenting all your options. This is very disappointing indeed.

We had something similar happen to us on our Europe Trip. This was our first "real" vacation. (We are campers...even camping on our honeymoon). We had two free flights to London and decided to do a bus tour of Europe. Like you we went to a TA, feeling more secure since we were not used to planning this type of vacation. She never suggested flying in early and it never crossed our minds. We had no experience in this kind of thing. Well, our flight was almost cancelled, with no other options until the next day. Had that flight been cancelled we would have missed at least the first day of our land tour. Surely not the end of the world, but it would have been a big disappointment.

Since that experience, we learned that for tours/cruises we want to come in at least one day ahead. We did two days ahead for our first Alaska cruise and four days ahead for our second Alaska cruise and four days ahead for our Hawaii cruise. IF you have time to do some touring it is great. When we consider the cost of airfare, we like to get some extra bang for our buck. I know not everyone has the time or money, but if they do, it is a good idea. Even in the summer there are storms, mechanical problems, cancelled flights, etc that get in the way of arriving on time.

The other considersation that we have learned is very important to us, is having the extra time to get your body clock adjusted to the new time zone before starting your tour. It takes at least a day to do this for us. We tend to like to go to bed early, get a good sleep and usually that does the trick for us. When we arrived in Vancouver at 11:30 ish a.m. we were in bed by about 7:00 p.m. which was 10:00 p.m. eastern time. Since we had to get up early, we were exhausted by then. However, by going to bed early, we got almost 12 hours of sleep, were all caught up and never had any sleep or tired issues the rest of the trip.

I for one, found Talkeetna to be a great stop. We did a self drive tour and spent a night there at a lovely B&B which had a view of Mt. McKinley from the breakfast room. We arrived in early evening, had dinner and walked to the river where we could see Mt. McKinley in her glory. The next morning we went the Ranger Station and viewed the movie about the mountain climbers who climbed Mt. McKinley. We also visited the cemetery where many of the mountain climbers who died were buried. There are also some interesting little shops to visit. It was a nice break for us on our drive from Anchorage to Denali.

Good luck with your planning. Whatever you do, I hope everyting goes smoothly for you. As others have suggested, please call Captain Cook and ask about the rooms. I wonder how your TA know that all rooms are fully booked? Did s/he actually call them for you? Even if that is the case, rooms may open up later. If you find they are booked, book a cancellable reservation and keep checking. One thing we learned is that hotels that cater to tours hold a certain number of rooms for the tours up to about 30 days before. At that 30 day mark, rooms become available if they have not been booked by the tour. I can't say this is the case with the Captain Cook, but I would not be surprised. Over the years, this is how we were able to get into lodgings that were booked solid when I checked months before. Good luck and enjoy Alaska.

We are flying from Chicago-O'Hare on Alaska Airlines to Anchorage a day early and arriving @ 1:30 PM Alaska time. (A 7 hour flight!) Our super-duper TA arranged everything, including booking the Captain Cook separate from Princess for a substantial savings.

When DH & I went to Hawaii the first time we elected to fly in 2 days early to be able to see Honolulu. Having never flown that far we were surprised by the jet lag. Got up at 4 AM Chicago time and with the 8 hour flight & a 5 hr time difference, we were totally wiped out and asleep by 7 PM Hawaii time. Unfortunately we were wide awake at 3:30 AM. (8:30 Chicago time.) It took us 3 days to adjust.

Since then we fly in a day early even if it's just to Florida.

Fireflymd, only my opinion but I would cancel your whole trip and rebook with either a reputable TA or all on your own if there is no penalty for doing so. Why should this incompetent and dishonest person profit from your trouble? He will not receive his commission until you make your final payment.

Sue

Firefly: If you can afford it, I suggest flying in the night before. Maybe you can split the cost with your TA? Probably not, but I would ask, just to make your point how disappointed you are that s/he did not advise you well. I can surely understand your frustration when you thought you were getting a professional opinion, only to find out that your TA was not presenting all your options. This is very disappointing indeed.

We had something similar happen to us on our Europe Trip. This was our first "real" vacation. (We are campers...even camping on our honeymoon). We had two free flights to London and decided to do a bus tour of Europe. Like you we went to a TA, feeling more secure since we were not used to planning this type of vacation. She never suggested flying in early and it never crossed our minds. We had no experience in this kind of thing. Well, our flight was almost cancelled, with no other options until the next day. Had that flight been cancelled we would have missed at least the first day of our land tour. Surely not the end of the world, but it would have been a big disappointment.

Since that experience, we learned that for tours/cruises we want to come in at least one day ahead. We did two days ahead for our first Alaska cruise and four days ahead for our second Alaska cruise and four days ahead for our Hawaii cruise. IF you have time to do some touring it is great. When we consider the cost of airfare, we like to get some extra bang for our buck. I know not everyone has the time or money, but if they do, it is a good idea. Even in the summer there are storms, mechanical problems, cancelled flights, etc that get in the way of arriving on time.

The other considersation that we have learned is very important to us, is having the extra time to get your body clock adjusted to the new time zone before starting your tour. It takes at least a day to do this for us. We tend to like to go to bed early, get a good sleep and usually that does the trick for us. When we arrived in Vancouver at 11:30 ish a.m. we were in bed by about 7:00 p.m. which was 10:00 p.m. eastern time. Since we had to get up early, we were exhausted by then. However, by going to bed early, we got almost 12 hours of sleep, were all caught up and never had any sleep or tired issues the rest of the trip.

I for one, found Talkeetna to be a great stop. We did a self drive tour and spent a night there at a lovely B&B which had a view of Mt. McKinley from the breakfast room. We arrived in early evening, had dinner and walked to the river where we could see Mt. McKinley in her glory. The next morning we went the Ranger Station and viewed the movie about the mountain climbers who climbed Mt. McKinley. We also visited the cemetery where many of the mountain climbers who died were buried. There are also some interesting little shops to visit. It was a nice break for us on our drive from Anchorage to Denali.

Good luck with your planning. Whatever you do, I hope everyting goes smoothly for you. As others have suggested, please call Captain Cook and ask about the rooms. I wonder how your TA know that all rooms are fully booked? Did s/he actually call them for you? Even if that is the case, rooms may open up later. If you find they are booked, book a cancellable reservation and keep checking. One thing we learned is that hotels that cater to tours hold a certain number of rooms for the tours up to about 30 days before. At that 30 day mark, rooms become available if they have not been booked by the tour. I can't say this is the case with the Captain Cook, but I would not be surprised. Over the years, this is how we were able to get into lodgings that were booked solid when I checked months before. Good luck and enjoy Alaska.

Thank you so much for your reply. This is exactly how we felt. I spent a lot of time researching the actual cruise line, and we left another TA after he insisted we use Celebrity, even when I explained to him that I preferred the Princess itinerary.

We met with this new TA despite his stressing Celebrity as well. But there were some signs he would not be ideal, that I let go:

I questioned on which side of the ship he was booking our cabin, and he said it didn't matter. I explained I wanted to be port side since it is a southbound cruise, and I would much prefer to see the landscape from my balcony. I also questioned if there were preferable parts of the ship, and he said that this mattered only to the elderly, so that they wouldn't have to walk as much. Later I read that different parts of the ship do offer a different experience, much as I expected.

He never suggested that we might arrive a day or two earlier. I completely relied upon his advice regarding when to arrive. When he came up with this midnight arrival, my DH questioned other flights and he told us that all the flights arrived that late (not true, as I discovered later), that this was customary and the hotel would expect this, and that we should book this flight as quickly as possible before the rates went up.

When I found a much earlier flight on the same day, at the same price, also with just one stop over, and similar flight times, but on a different airline, he could not explain why he did not offer this flight. He also claimed he never received two e-mails I sent to him, despite receiving an earlier one from us.

His assertion to DH that Hotel Captain Cook would likely not have rooms for us the night before was just incredible to me (he said they would all be taken up by Princess)--DH called last night and they were very obliging. They told us once they had the Princess info they would try to get us in the same room, and if not, they had other rooms available.

So we will arrive at midnight the night before our original flight--we'll have the next day to rest and get accustomed to the time difference before our bus tour to Talkeetna the next day.

This was a valuable lesson for us. I thought I had researched my trip well, and I mistakenly assumed the TA would advise us of the best options, never expecting he would just omit information.

Unfortunately we have to eat the cost of this error, but I now look at this as the price I paid for an education--to research a bit more than I did before going to a TA, and not assume the TA will offer the best advice, or that he knows more than I do. And check potential flight times myself!

Thank you so much for your response. I really, really appreciate it.:)

We are flying from Chicago-O'Hare on Alaska Airlines to Anchorage a day early and arriving @ 1:30 PM Alaska time. (A 7 hour flight!) Our super-duper TA arranged everything, including booking the Captain Cook separate from Princess for a substantial savings.

When DH & I went to Hawaii the first time we elected to fly in 2 days early to be able to see Honolulu. Having never flown that far we were surprised by the jet lag. Got up at 4 AM Chicago time and with the 8 hour flight & a 5 hr time difference, we were totally wiped out and asleep by 7 PM Hawaii time. Unfortunately we were wide awake at 3:30 AM. (8:30 Chicago time.) It took us 3 days to adjust.

Since then we fly in a day early even if it's just to Florida.

Fireflymd, only my opinion but I would cancel your whole trip and rebook with either a reputable TA or all on your own if there is no penalty for doing so. Why should this incompetent and dishonest person profit from your trouble? He will not receive his commission until you make your final payment.

Sue

Thanks, Sue. I will certainly look into this. Our experience has been very educational and character-building! (Anything painful builds character!:eek:)

Thank you so much for your response. I really, really appreciate it.:)

You are most welcome!!! I am happy you were able to book a flight more to your liking. You will definitely appreciate not having to start your tour the morning after that late arrival. Plus if that flight had been delayed and you are like me and can't sleep on a plane, you would be starting your tour on little sleep. You will not regret your decision. Too bad it cost you money.

You have a good attitude about a lesson learned. As I said, we also learned. Since our first TA experience I do all my own research. For our first cruise I decided to go with a TA, but only after I knew what I wanted after studying this forum. Having never cruised before, I liked the idea of having something guiding me along. She was good helping us learn about the ship and was helpful in explaining the different cabin choices, unlike your TA. However, she really didn't know AK, even though she had been before. I think you already know that your TA is not someone you will likely want to use again. After our first cruise, we didn't use a local TA for our subsequent two cruises. We used an online agency for our last cruise and saved us some good money.

I don't know how you would feel about cancelling with the TA you used, but if he doesn't charge a cancellation fee you might want to consider it. I know I would. He doesn't deserve the commission he is going to get on your cruisetour. I don't know if you got a discount with him or not. Some of the online agencies offer better prices or give you onboard credit and/or some other perks like a free dinner in a for-fee restaurant. For our last cruise we used a site that has agencies compete for your business. You register with the site, tell them what cruise you want and then different agencies will basically "bid" for your business. We saved $800 on our last cruise to AK. Unfortunately CC does not allow us to name agencies, but using key words you may be able to figure it out on your own. At least you could see how much of a deal you got with your TA. For anyone wishing to try this, just make sure you research the agency you may want to go with. I did a BBB search and also did a google search using the name of the agency and the words "complaints" and "reviews". I must admit I was a bit nervous, but everything worked out and all they promised was realized. I think the key with whomever you go with, is to read all the fine print. When I was reading the complaints on the agency I used, people were complaining about policies in the fine print that they did not read. As always, Buyer, Beware!!!

Good luck!! I hope you will come back to the forum after your tour and let us know how everything went. Alaska is an amazing destination. I would go every year if I could afford it.

Sue

My thoughts exactly. I did not see your post when I recommended the same to Fireflymd. Some agencies charge a cancellation feel, but if Firefly can realize a better price with a new agency, that could wipe out their losses. Perhaps enough to cover the change fee with the airlines. Now, wouldn't that be nice???

You are most welcome!!! I am happy you were able to book a flight more to your liking. You will definitely appreciate not having to start your tour the morning after that late arrival. Plus if that flight had been delayed and you are like me and can't sleep on a plane, you would be starting your tour on little sleep. You will not regret your decision. Too bad it cost you money.

You have a good attitude about a lesson learned. As I said, we also learned. Since our first TA experience I do all my own research. For our first cruise I decided to go with a TA, but only after I knew what I wanted after studying this forum. Having never cruised before, I liked the idea of having something guiding me along. She was good helping us learn about the ship and was helpful in explaining the different cabin choices, unlike your TA. However, she really didn't know AK, even though she had been before. I think you already know that your TA is not someone you will likely want to use again. After our first cruise, we didn't use a local TA for our subsequent two cruises. We used an online agency for our last cruise and saved us some good money.

I don't know how you would feel about cancelling with the TA you used, but if he doesn't charge a cancellation fee you might want to consider it. I know I would. He doesn't deserve the commission he is going to get on your cruisetour. I don't know if you got a discount with him or not. Some of the online agencies offer better prices or give you onboard credit and/or some other perks like a free dinner in a for-fee restaurant. For our last cruise we used a site that has agencies compete for your business. You register with the site, tell them what cruise you want and then different agencies will basically "bid" for your business. We saved $800 on our last cruise to AK. Unfortunately CC does not allow us to name agencies, but using key words you may be able to figure it out on your own. At least you could see how much of a deal you got with your TA. For anyone wishing to try this, just make sure you research the agency you may want to go with. I did a BBB search and also did a google search using the name of the agency and the words "complaints" and "reviews". I must admit I was a bit nervous, but everything worked out and all they promised was realized. I think the key with whomever you go with, is to read all the fine print. When I was reading the complaints on the agency I used, people were complaining about policies in the fine print that they did not read. As always, Buyer, Beware!!!

Good luck!! I hope you will come back to the forum after your tour and let us know how everything went. Alaska is an amazing destination. I would go every year if I could afford it.

I checked the Princess website--the interior cabins (we have a minisuite and an interior cabin across from us) are all sold out. I'd rather not take the chance, cancel this cruise and not be able to book our cabins the way I want them.

I feel much better about things since we are changing our flight, and since the hotel seems accomodating. DH has been incredible about this--allowing us to change the flight and incur the charges. Can't ask for a better guy, really! While I do wish this TA was not going to get a commission through our booking, I can let that go, especially since I don't want to lose our cabins, and just think about enjoying our vacation.

I've learned a lot from my husband about moving on--we made mistakes by putting our faith into this TA, and not checking flight times ourselves, but I did get the cruiseship and itinerary I wanted, the cabins I wanted, I've booked some awesome excursion adventures, and we are fortunate that we can manage the cost of changing flights.

I'm going to Alaska!!! I have to keep that in mind.

vbmom87, you have no idea how your kind words helped me. Thank you again!!!

I checked the Princess website--the interior cabins (we have a minisuite and an interior cabin across from us) are all sold out. I'd rather not take the chance, cancel this cruise and not be able to book our cabins the way I want them.

I know this is a popular itinerary, but I am surprised that the interior cabins are already gone. Under these circumstances, I can understand your concern about cancelling and rebooking. There is also the option of transferring your reservation to another agency. That way you keep what you have. However, I fully understand that you are just ready to put this behind you and move on.

You have not mentioned your itinerary for your land tour. After all you have been through, I even hate to mention it, but in light of your TA's incompetence, I am curious what he recommended for you and if you are happy with what you are getting. If you don't want to open another can of worms, I fully understand.

I know this is a popular itinerary, but I am surprised that the interior cabins are already gone. Under these circumstances, I can understand your concern about cancelling and rebooking. There is also the option of transferring your reservation to another agency. That way you keep what you have. However, I fully understand that you are just ready to put this behind you and move on.

You have not mentioned your itinerary for your land tour. After all you have been through, I even hate to mention it, but in light of your TA's incompetence, I am curious what he recommended for you and if you are happy with what you are getting. If you don't want to open another can of worms, I fully understand.

He actually didn't have any recommendation, aside from trying to sway us from using Princess, to going with Celebrity. When I told him which cruise and land tour for Princess I wanted to book and why, he handed me the Celebrity brochure and told me I should look for something similar and he would give us a price quote. I was surprised he wasn't more knowledgable about the different itineraries. (The first TA we met with did the exact same thing.)

I'm just grateful that I at least researched the itineraries before meeting with him.

Archived