Princess coffee - brewed or concentrate?

jb008

I forgot to ask when I got of the Ruby (12/23), but it tasted like Princess is now using brewed coffee instead of coffee concentrate.

Can anyone confirm whether it is brewed coffee? Also, anyone know when they made the switchover if it is in fact real coffee, and was this done fleet wide? According to our dining room table mates, Celebrity is still using concentrate and they were overjoyed to taste the coffee served after dinner in the MDR on Princess.

Thanks in advance for the input on this.

I forgot to ask when I got of the Ruby (12/23), but it tasted like Princess is now using brewed coffee instead of coffee concentrate.

Can anyone confirm whether it is brewed coffee? Also, anyone know when they made the switchover if it is in fact real coffee, and was this done fleet wide? According to our dining room table mates, Celebrity is still using concentrate and they were overjoyed to taste the coffee served after dinner in the MDR on Princess.

Thanks in advance for the input on this.

Most of the coffee is from concentrate . You can buy a coffee card that gets you unlimited brewed coffee/tea and 15 specialty coffees as well. This card only works at IC and bars that have brewed coffee.The cost is $31 . Sometimes the MDR serves fresh brewed at supper.

I had a coffee card, and actually was unimpressed with several cups of coffee available at the IC - whereas the MDR coffee after dinner was consistently really quite good. I thought it was the same as what I got at Horizon court with two of my breakfasts... I wonder if I really was drinking coffee from concentrate and just found it a lot more palatable now.

Thanks for the info!

Cruise critic members comments on coffee quality on other cruise lines:

HAL: Coming back to HAL after a 7 year hiatus, I forgot just how BAD the coffee is. UGH absolutely undrinkable. One reviewer has mentioned that they use real coffee in the Lido...NOT, it is freeze dried instant. I am a black coffee drinker, but when coffee doesn't taste right I add milk to see what color it turns (should be a rich caramel), on the NA it consistently turned something resembling olive green!!!.

Celebrity: How is the coffee? Here's an anecdote. Was sitting yesterday at a luncheon with five other people. Everyone had coffee. The waiter poured all from the same carafe. The woman on my right said, oh that's good coffee. The man on my left said, that coffee is way too strong, and poured some water into his cup. The woman across from me said, this coffee is really bitter. Her husband asked, why can't you make coffee this good. The woman next to him made a face and said that it tasted stale to her. I thought it was too weak.

So how's the coffee board? Probably too strong, too weak, too bitter, too stale, too hot and too cold.

Celebrity: Free coffee is bad. Not the worst at sea, but baaad.

Celebrity: We are veterans of a couple Celebrity cruises and remember that the free coffee was just horrible

Carnival: Personally, I find the Carnival room service coffee to be awful; just my opinion. [/color]

Carnival: The coffee on my last Carnival cruise (Pride) was horrendous... no exaggeration.

RCCL: The coffee we had on Voyager in summer 2011 was terrible. If you asked for cream, you were given watery milk. We had a suite and often ate breakfast in Portofino and had the same terrible coffee. We loved our cruise and would do it again in a heartbeat, but just did not like the coffee.

RCCL: I don't care what they call it... I call it terrible. Very bitter. No amount of extra cream and sugar will help. Its enough to turn a person into a tea drinker.

The usual coffee is concentrate and bad. I drink it anyway. The "fresh brewed" is also bad. I drink it, too.

When we cruise, I generally run from the ship to any kind of restaurant with decent coffee and get a cup.

For a week or two, I will drink what they serve, but not with any enthusiasm.

Ohiodoglover

I know I'm in the minority but the concentrate tastes just fine for me. Most likely because I don't like strong coffee and tend to have a little coffee with my cream and sugar! I do like to go to the coffee bar by the IC or on deck five on the Sapphire for some wonderful lattes or an Irish Coffee though.:D:D:D

Archived