Need help - should I upgrade to balcony?

Thanks everyone for your input. I called this morning at 7:30, spoke with David, and he had to call me back after talking to the accounting department...

I just talked to him about 5 mins ago and he was able to switch me to the balcony guarantee ...

Best part... Total cost to me for change was $20.00. :D

Thanks again for all your help!

Happy 2013!!

Sue

Congrats, that's awesome. Let us know what cabin you get. :D

I just did almost that. Had a promenade cabin booked on Mariner. Saw a Tuesday sale on Christmas Eve and called. Got a guaranty balcony for $65 per person. Unfortunately, we had some "cruise fairy" certificates that were paying for most of the cruise, so I was not allowed to get the Crown & Anchor balcony discount as that would have put one of us in the negative.:)

Got assigned an E1 on deck 8 right in the middle of the hump! If I'd have been able to pick my own cabin, that's probably where I'd have chosen it.

I do not care for the locations of the ocean view cabins on Voyager and Freedom class ships, which is why I went for the PR, but they are in wonderful locations on Radiance and Vision class and the Millenium class ships of Celebrity where I'd prefer a deck 3 ocean view to a balcony.

I guess that if my main reason for cruising was to sit and look at the ocean all day long, I'd always want a balcony, but on some cruises there is just no time to do that. We cruise mainly to visit new ports in foreign countries and sailing in the ocean view cabins can save us over $1,000 to spend on our excursions. On cruises where there is a abundance of sea days, we'll go for the balcony.

I thought I'd become a "balcony snob" after my first, but I'm too practical:D

So how do you find out about these upgrades? Is it just from checking back periodically after you've booked your room or is there some other way? Also, when they say it's a balcony guarantee, does that mean that you can't pick the room, you are just assigned one by RC?

When I go on the website it says that I can upgrade from a balcony to a Jr. Suite for $47/day pp. Was this upgrade $20 total??? If so, that's incredible!

Just checked our reservation and we got cabin 7650.

looking at a deck plan that seems pretty good. What do you guys think?

Good location but it is a connecting cabin and I am not a fan of connecting cabins although many have said they do not hear any noise from them.

If it were me (and it is not:)) I would try to change to further down the hall, it looks like 7672. 7674 and 7676 are available. They are all D1 cabins.

Good location but it is a connecting cabin and I am not a fan of connecting cabins although many have said they do not hear any noise from them.

If it were me (and it is not:)) I would try to change to further down the hall, it looks like 7672. 7674 and 7676 are available.

Yeah I saw that too. I am a little concerned about that as well. The only time in the past we had a connecting was on the Freedom and our neighbors were noisy.

That's why I wanted to see what you guys thought ... Oh well. Might have to call and see if we can move again.

Yeah I saw that too. I am a little concerned about that as well. The only time in the past we had a connecting was on the Freedom and our neighbors were noisy.

That's why I wanted to see what you guys thought ... Oh well. Might have to call and see if we can move again.

If they tell you you can't move keep trying. Folks do it all the time with guarantees. Good luck

A D1 is a nice assignment. I would call and change to a non connecting cabin since plenty are available. And I'd keep watching cabin availability on the off chance a deck 10 aft or deck 9 hump came available.

I don't even know if RCL will let me do this, but if they will... should I pay to upgrade from a outside cabin (9214) on the Freedom to a balcony guarantee room? The price is less than $50 to do it just don't know if I should take the chance on a guarantee.

Does anyone here see a downside to doing it, if they will let me?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Sue

always........

Thanks everyone for your input. I called this morning at 7:30, spoke with David, and he had to call me back after talking to the accounting department...

I just talked to him about 5 mins ago and he was able to switch me to the balcony guarantee ...

Best part... Total cost to me for change was $20.00. :D

Thanks again for all your help!

Happy 2013!!

Sue

you lucky dog you. congrates.

connecting doors-- it's a double door one your side one on their's -- locked from both sides--- have had many-- never any problem--------- ever. (more worried about connecting balcony's) we sleep withthe cabin slidder opened at night-- but again never a problem.

Congratulations on an excellent deal!

Definitely call and try to switch to a non-connecting cabin in the same category. Have it picked out in advance from the available ones listed on the website - just say that you want to swap cabin 7650 to xxxx No explanation necessary - don't mention the guarantee. If they say no, then just call back later and speak to someone else. Repeat until you get what you want.

really?? Oh that's good to know.

We have had a balcony before but my major apprehension is not knowing ahead of time where the cabin will be.

Walking isn't an issue for us as we always use the stairs. (i get freaked out when i see all those people jammed into the elevators) and besides i use that as justification for dessert :d

i don't usually get seasick but have 1 time with 20+ swells.

Ok...you guys have convinced me...i'm calling now. Wish me luck :o...

They're not open - i guess i'll get to sleep on it and will call tomorrow am.

do it, do it, do it, do it....

So how do you find out about these upgrades? Is it just from checking back periodically after you've booked your room or is there some other way? Also, when they say it's a balcony guarantee, does that mean that you can't pick the room, you are just assigned one by RC?

When I go on the website it says that I can upgrade from a balcony to a Jr. Suite for $47/day pp. Was this upgrade $20 total??? If so, that's incredible!

Yes the total to change to the balcony guarantee was $20. With the guarantee, you don't get to pick a cabin, RC assigns you a cabin at a future time.

I guess you could say that I'm a cruise/vacation price stalker... I'm always checking to see the current prices on every aspect ( cruise, car rental , etc). I just happened to see that my cruise had a special price so I investigated and knew that the per person price was only $10 more but I wasn't sure with only being 31 days out that they'd let me change.

Go for it...in a heartbeat. So the thing they caution you about "guarantee" cabins is that you could end up in whatever they deem is the worst in that category...however, I think by the overwhelming response here we are all in concensus that any balcony is better than no balcony any day of the week. There is something to be said about the illusion of extra sq footage...not to mention sitting out on the balcony sipping your morning coffee as you are sailing into port (priceless).

Enjoy!!!

• 1 month later...
Wanted to come back and say Thank You to everyone who said "Go for it". It was fabulous ... EXCEPT you were all correct - DH says from now on Balconys only! :D.

I LOVE when someone comes back and shares the outcome.

So glad that you enjoyed your cruise in your BALCONY cabin.

:)

Archived