How do you get your cruise documents in order?

LadyVolFan

We are leaving tomorrow and I am about to get our paperwork in order. Does anyone have any tips on how I can organize paperwork for 7 people in 3 cabins? Thanks!

For our cruise I got a paper notebook and sheet protectors. I put everything in the sheet protectors grouped together as they were needed and in order as needed. That way when we went through the entire process all I had to keep ahold of was my notebook and would put documents back in as they were no longer needed.

I usually bring two folders- one has the boarding pass and citizenship documents, the other has the info I'll potentially need during the cruise- a copy of our travel insurance, receipts for anything paid prior to the cruise, excursion info, etc. If I were in your shoes I would have a "boarding folder" for each of the rooms.

put it chronologically in a plastic 7 pocket accordian folder of a bright color...either document sized or envelope sized depending on how much stuff you have...

so it goes something like this...

transportation to cruise port...pre stay hotel docs....transport to ship...ship docs...port excursion docs....transport from ship... travel insurance....etc...

of course you adjust depending on your personal; circumstances....

oh...and the passports/birth certs etc.....go way up in front in this envelope...

and the 2 copies of pp/bc that you bring as back up go in your purse and luggage...

also...at the very end of the envelope...I put copies of my credit/atm cards..front and back...and contact info...as well as a copy of the itin I have made up for myself and family as well as the copy of the email containing my intin that I have sent to at home trusted contacts...needless to say that this envelope stays very secure on my person..then stays very secure in the safe...and the reason for copies of credit/atm docs..is in case the original cards are lost stolen..so I can contact the bank. I also program in the 800 numbers..both domestic and international into my phone..but should the phone be lost or stolen..or just plain not work....the paper copies are in the doc folder. To have everything in electronic form seems silly...and that is why paper backup is always with me.

FWIW...I start my document folder at initial booking to stay organized.

I have discoverd over my brief career of crusing, that I don't need as much paperwork as they seem to think that I am supposed to bring.... (poorly worded...) let me explain.

Last cruise was on Cunard.... their documentation clearly says to print the e-ticket and several other pieces of paper... I faithfully comply ... I even print the excursion descriptions and have the receipts, in case there is a question, for the pre-booked excursions. All papers in a single folder filed in day needed sequence.

When we showed up at the check-in... the agent asked for our 2 passports... she typed into her computer, turned to get our room key cards, she handed them to me and viola! we were done. NONE of the paperwork was needed.

I guess my thought here is not to worry too much about the papers...just in case, tho, I will still print stuff... and be pleasently surprised when it is not asked for.

I use folders and envelopes. One folder for anything prior or post cruise and one folder for the cruise. I arrange everything in the order I will need it. I also have a separate letter sized envelope for each port where I put anything (money included) I will need for that port day, then I just have to grab the envelope labeled for that port and go. A little extra planning and organization ahead of time can make for a smooth vacation!

I use bank deposit bags (from Walmart) that are big enough for standard size copy paper to be folded in half. I copy things, fold in half (stapled, if it is a multipage document,) put in the bag with folded side up and write what they are near the top (folded) edge. Then put them in as much chronological order as possible. When I need them, I unzip the bag, flip through them and grab the one I want. When I know I am finished with one I stick it at the end of the stack. Sometimes I will go through them during the cruise and tear up and discard any that I know I won't need anymore, like pre-cruise hotel reservations, etc.

Oh, one more thing I do...since I know the bank bag will be a part of every move I make until I get on the ship, I also put a bunch of dollar bills in it to tip porters or drivers. It just makes it easier to grab some cash out quickly.

I have discoverd over my brief career of crusing, that I don't need as much paperwork as they seem to think that I am supposed to bring.... (poorly worded...) let me explain.

Last cruise was on Cunard.... their documentation clearly says to print the e-ticket and several other pieces of paper... I faithfully comply ... I even print the excursion descriptions and have the receipts, in case there is a question, for the pre-booked excursions. All papers in a single folder filed in day needed sequence.

When we showed up at the check-in... the agent asked for our 2 passports... she typed into her computer, turned to get our room key cards, she handed them to me and viola! we were done. NONE of the paperwork was needed.

I guess my thought here is not to worry too much about the papers...just in case, tho, I will still print stuff... and be pleasently surprised when it is not asked for.

This may vary depending on the port- sailing out of Baltimore we had to show our boarding papers before being allowed into the terminal.

No harm in being prepared. It's better to have it and not need than to need it and not have it. :)

I purchased a red cloth back expandable folder at WalMart. I labeled each section with cruise, airline, hotel, shuttle, and power of attorney. It has a small plastic pocket in the back of the folder where I put our passports. You could do the same with each passenger having their own section. I also have a section labeled "receipts." As soon as our final payment has been made, we print out our passes and luggage tags. Doing it last minute would make me feel uncmfortable that maybe I forgot something. The folder fits into my carry on bag where I can easily access it. It has saved us from stressing out and looking for this and that.

I kept everything in a binder with tabs separated for each part of our trip or port so I could access needed documents quickly. We had transport to and from the airport, flight info, passports, drink vouchers for flights, boarding passes, confirmations for specialty restaurants, gifts, liquor, spa treatments and onboard credit that were purchased before we sailed. Confirmations for each excursion we had booked and paid for before we cruised. And I had information about each port, transportation info, restaurants, maps, and things to see or do.

I use gallon-size zip lock bags. I print boarding pass and luggage tags. Also hotel confirmation, parking confirmation, and any e-mail confirmations for excursions we have planned. Throw in the passports and I'm ready to go.

Archived