Know before you borrow

HOTROD1

When purchasing WIFI time I was offered a complimentary laptop to use on the Dawn for Christmas. I didn’t realize this was even a possibility so I was excited. We used the laptop in our stateroom on the desk or on the balcony. It never left the room nor was it dropped. At one point I noticed a small piece of plastic loose on the side but thought nothing of it. We returned the laptop and was told we damaged the laptop and charged $150. DH went down to discuss and there was no option.

The lesson to the story is….. be sure you look over the laptop with the staff member BEFORE you leave the Internet Café. Make sure any “damage” is written down and initialed by the staff member. Lesson learned!

When purchasing WIFI time I was offered a complimentary laptop to use on the Dawn for Christmas. I didn’t realize this was even a possibility so I was excited. We used the laptop in our stateroom on the desk or on the balcony. It never left the room nor was it dropped. At one point I noticed a small piece of plastic loose on the side but thought nothing of it. We returned the laptop and was told we damaged the laptop and charged $150. DH went down to discuss and there was no option.

The lesson to the story is….. be sure you look over the laptop with the staff member BEFORE you leave the Internet Café. Make sure any “damage” is written down and initialed by the staff member. Lesson learned!

Interesting. Didn't even know that they had laptops for you to use. Probably would be a good idea also to take a picture.

I never would have thought to check this, thanks for the heads up!

Sorry that happened to you. There should at least be some sort of insurance option in case of situations like this.

I bring my own laptop which I admit is heavy and have a new iPad that I tookon my last trip (albeit along with the laptop LOL). That might be a better option. A few of those charges and you could by a tablet or notebook to take with you and not need their laptop.

Did you have to sign any paperwork when you received this loan?

I guess I would just automatically assume like borrowing from anywhere if something was lost, damaged or stolen that you would be responsible.

I think the point was that it was damaged before they got it.

I'm sure it was, but if you assume, as I would, that you are responsible for any loss, damage or stolen. It would also stand to reason that you should look something over to verify that any previous damage was noted. The same as you would, if for example you rent a car.

Maybe I'm the only one that would just think that was a logical thing to do.

excellent idea,just like you do when renting a car...

Yes, I agree. I know to check out a rent car for damage before leaving the pick up area. I was so excited to be offered a lap top at no cost. I didn't know it was an option. I was going to surprise our son for Christmas with not only WIFI but also a lap top. I didn't even think about checking the lap top out.

I just wanted to share my story so noone else made the same mistake.

Happy cruising!

Yes, I agree. I know to check out a rent car for damage before leaving the pick up area. I was so excited to be offered a lap top at no cost. I didn't know it was an option. I was going to surprise our son for Christmas with not only WIFI but also a lap top. I didn't even think about checking the lap top out.

I just wanted to share my story so noone else made the same mistake.

Happy cruising!

Now that we know a child is involved I suspect he dropped/damaged it and didn't say anything. Kids do that.

For everyone that's not aware of the loaner laptops it's a suite perk that is available in certain suites. There is no paperwork that you have to sign out it's just sitting on the desk charging with a little note informing you that it's NCL property for your use.

Archived