QM2 & QV World Voyage Departure

cruiser101101

Are the Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria departing for their world voyages later today?

I noticed on Marine Traffic that they are both docked in Southampton this usually happens at the start if a world voyage.

Looking at their itinerary both ships are due to depart at 6pm tonight and arrive back together at 6am on the 26th April.

As an aside, the queen Elizabeth and the Queen Mary will do a similar thing next year with both ships departing and leaving together.

If you look at the itineraries you will see how the routes differ as one ship will have an extra night even though they depart and arrive together, spending the exact same amount of time away from the UK.

If you look at the itineraries you will see how the routes differ as one ship will have an extra night even though they depart and arrive together, spending the exact same amount of time away from the UK.
Sort of like on this classic Sam Lloyd puzzle - 13 figures become 12 by turning the arrow:

getoffanim.gif

Are the Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria departing for their world voyages later today?

I noticed on Marine Traffic that they are both docked in Southampton this usually happens at the start if a world voyage.

Five ships in Southampton today - QM2, QV, Azura, MS Rotterdam and Black Watch. A busy day.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

Five ships in Southampton today - QM2, QV, Azura, MS Rotterdam and Black Watch. A busy day.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

I see on the link you have supplied the Queen Mary is due to depart at 4-30pm (1630) as opposed to the Queen Victoria which is still listed at 6pm (1800)

If this is correct then what a great shame as it would be a nice touch to have the very typical ceremony of these iconic ships departing together with horns blaring and fireworks lighting up the evening sky.

I see on the link you have supplied the Queen Mary is due to depart at 4-30pm (1630) as opposed to the Queen Victoria which is still listed at 6pm (1800)

If this is correct then what a great shame as it would be a nice touch to have the very typical ceremony of these iconic ships departing together with horns blaring and fireworks lighting up the evening sky.

July 13th last year was the best one yet, all three Queens left together in close formation, QE leading, QV then QM2 bringing up the rear. The noise from the whistles was staggering although why they are called whistles not horns escapes me. To me a whistle is a high pitched device found on a kettle, steam loco or used by a football referee, a horn has a much lower note. Strangely when it is foggy a ship sounds its fog horn not its fog whistle....

July 13th last year was the best one yet, all three Queens left together in close formation, QE leading, QV then QM2 bringing up the rear. The noise from the whistles was staggering although why they are called whistles not horns escapes me. To me a whistle is a high pitched device found on a kettle, steam loco or used by a football referee, a horn has a much lower note. Strangely when it is foggy a ship sounds its fog horn not its fog whistle....

It was great wasn't it? We were on the QV that day. :)

Yesterday I got off the Azura; an awful experience so never again with P&O! Berthed directly astern of the majestic QM2 was the Saga Ruby.

I have to say it was rather nice to see the Rotterdam arrive at about 9.15am.

What an excellent point and whilst I understand why they might be referred to as whistles, we cannot argue with the fact they sound their horn during poor visibility or informing others of their presence. Could it be that when ships pay their respects they do so by use of the whistle?

The formation of the ships is interesting and do we know the seniority of the commanding officer of the lead ship? Traditionally the flag officer would fly their flag on the senior vessel and as such be at the van.... Think back to the Battle of Trafalgar when a certain very brave officer tried to overtake the Victory when heading toward the enemy... Tradition and order put that commanding officer in his place :)

Back on topic, I love hearing these ships having these duels and can recall one such event involving one of those new Disney ships.

What an excellent point and whilst I understand why they might be referred to as whistles, we cannot argue with the fact they sound their horn during poor visibility or informing others of their presence. Could it be that when ships pay their respects they do so by use of the whistle?

The formation of the ships is interesting and do we know the seniority of the commanding officer of the lead ship? Traditionally the flag officer would fly their flag on the senior vessel and as such be at the van.... Think back to the Battle of Trafalgar when a certain very brave officer tried to overtake the Victory when heading toward the enemy... Tradition and order put that commanding officer in his place :)

Back on topic, I love hearing these ships having these duels and can recall one such event involving one of those new Disney ships.

The Disney ships put on quite a

when it comes to horns.

I do like the look of their ships as well.

when it comes to horns.

The Disney Fantasy is quite impressive inside and out. Her horn has a repertoire of 5-6 songs (and they did call it a horn onboard).

when it comes to horns.

The hull design and forward section look very, very nice indeed. I just wish that when Cunard ordered their new ships they kept the tradition regarding the number of funnels. The Queen Mary really stood out with her three funnels and looking at the Queen Mary 2 there are still three funnels but two of them have been 'downsized' and fail to take advantage of this feature that made the Queen Mary stand out from most other ocean liners.

The Queen Elizabeth could so very easily have had a second funnel, even if it were a dummy that was in reality a dining area or observation lounge. The Queen Victoria could be left as is and that way we would also have an easy way to set the two smaller vessels apart.

When it comes to taking a holiday I get the impression that Disney caters for a different market. That water slide looks very impressive :)

Apologies for going off topic :o

The Queen Elizabeth could so very easily have had a second funnel, even if it were a dummy that was in reality a dining area or observation lounge. The Queen Victoria could be left as is and that way we would also have an easy way to set the two smaller vessels apart.
I believe that Cunard never built a ship with a dummy funnel (inherited at least one however; Imperator/Berengaria).

I am willing to be corrected on that statement of course :) .

Very best wishes.

I believe that Cunard never built a ship with a dummy funnel (inherited at least one however; Imperator/Berengaria).

I am willing to be corrected on that statement of course :) .

Very best wishes.

If having a dummy funnel is a no, no to the purist, then how many exhaust pipes are accommodated in the one single funnel?

funnel_zps6f4aa16c.jpg

Split them and share them equally between the two funnels. The Queen Mary 2 already has three, it could have just been a case of the Naval Architect doing their thing. The Disney ships have multiple funnels.

I am merely suggesting that historically these iconic ships had a beautiful profile which made the distinctive. Plonking a second, well designed funnel onto the Queen Elizabeth would simply carry on the line. just a suggestion as I like the colour scheme and wonder how it would look :)

Just a suggestion and should we start a new thread for this debate? :o:o;)

I heard the blasts from the horns from the city centre. Very powerful. Was amusing to capture reactions from people unaware the horn was about to blast. Two men jumped in the air as their were startled. It was quite funny. Even more so the second time when they thought it would go off only once :)

So sad to be off the QM2. I loved being on board. Even if the TA Crossing was full of disappointing people who dressed badly and complained a lot.

That's what you get with discounting.

When it comes to taking a holiday I get the impression that Disney caters for a different market. That water slide looks very impressive :)

:o

Definitely a very different market but, surprisingly, there were quite a few adults travelling without children. My granddaughter and son-in-law found the Aquaduck really "cool".

The second funnel on the Fantasy is fake.

The Disney Fantasy is quite impressive inside and out. Her horn has a repertoire of 5-6 songs (and they did call it a horn onboard).

The hull design and forward section look very, very nice indeed.

Agreed, I think they are impressive ships. I cant help but wish Cunard's QE & QV look like the most recent Disney ships.

i-sBVD69C-XL.jpg

i-TzjGRgV-L.jpg

Agreed, I think they are impressive ships. I cant help but wish Cunard's QE & QV look like the most recent Disney ships.

i-TzjGRgV-L.jpg

Somehow Dumbo the flying elephant would not quite make it on the QE or QV as a stern character:eek: The Bibbiti Bobbiti Boutique or Aqua Duck water coaster are hardly features we would expect from Cunard.

VERY nice pictures which confirm our observations about the really nice lines. The funnels my be a little OTT but that is all about individual taste.

I think radiomike is totally missing the point and NO ONE is suggesting having huge motif's painted about the hull or even water slides being attached to her outter appendages but that ship is catering for a specific market and I am sure those folks appreciated these features whereas maybe Cunard would opt for something different.

That bow section really looks very nice and has it an Italian influence?

Somehow Dumbo the flying elephant would not quite make it on the QE or QV as a stern character:eek: The Bibbiti Bobbiti Boutique or Aqua Duck water coaster are hardly features we would expect from Cunard.

I was referring to the shape and look of the vessel, not so much the water coaster or interior decorations.

But now that you mention it, have you considered the possibilities of having the Disney Princesses as Cunard social hostesses? Even I would turn up to a napkin folding class if it was to be hosted by Snow White.

i-r8kBT6P-L.jpg

Cinderella could introduce the commodore at the CWC party and Mickey Mouse would make a fantastic maitre d of the Britannia Restaurant.

"What's that you say?. It's not as good as the QE2!!!"

i-z7DZzR7-L.jpg

That bow section really looks very nice and has it an Italian influence?

Yes, I agree, a well proportioned high freeboard to cope with rough seas.

They have also resisted the temptation to use azipods, instead relying on a conventional propeller system with multiple thrusters.

Archived