Captains cocktail party

Rich 1

Hi all.

We are first time cruisers on O.:)

Riviera - 10 days around the Caribbean first two days at sea and the last two days at sea.

I believe their is a Captains cocktail party.

My questions are - What day is this likely to be? Is this a "not to be missed event night "to dine in the MDR ?

Is the menu the same in the specialty restaurants on the same evening?

Thank you for any information.

Rich

Hi all.

We are first time cruisers on O.:)

Riviera - 10 days around the Caribbean first two days at sea and the last two days at sea.

I believe their is a Captains cocktail party. YES there is

My questions are - What day is this likely to be? In our experience it will probably be the 1st sea day,

Is this a "not to be missed event night "to dine in the MDR ? I do not believe they have any SPECIAL dishes

Is the menu the same in the specialty restaurants on the same evening?

Thank you for any information.

Rich

The specialty restaurants have the same menu all the time

If you are on the O-Class ships the party is held in several locations on the ship , free drinks & hors d'oeuvres

On the R-class ships it is held in the Lounge

Check the CURRENTS for the exact time & Location

Enjoy

Realize that the Captain's Reception is not as grand of an affair as on other lines.

There is no ship's photographer and most people adhere to the Country Club Casual dress so there are few, if any gowns, etc.

Many people even bypass the reception line and go directly to drinks and snacks.

There is a small announcement period when officers are introduced, etc but other than that the orchestra plays, people visit and dance and a good time is had by all.

Think of it more as an upscale cocktail lounge event.

It may coincide with a better menu in the GDR but not always.

On the O class, the event is held in several areas and the Captain and officers move from venue to venue, greeting people. As I remember it, drinks were free on the entire ship during the event.

Though we have missed it a couple of times we do enjoy it, especially on the R ships.

On the O class ships it is more of a drink or two in one of the bars though it is still a good opportunity to meet and socialize with new fellow travellers in an amiable 'meet & greet' atmosphere. We did purposefully skipped it on our last Riviera cruise opting to deal with jet lag instead.

On the R class ships, being is it is held in the excellent Lounge, the band plays, couples dance, servers circulate with cocktails and canapes, and a great ambience. Well described by RetiredFL as an upscale lounge event.

It is another good opportunity to socialize with fellow pax. We have found it to be dressier though we have not attended on Caribbean sailings which might be more casual (heat and all)

Rich, we are finishing up an identical itinerary and there were two Captain's parties, one early, and one for Oceania club members that I believe everyone was invited to, near the end of the cruise. We attended both but came a little late and missed the speeches, etc. The parties were somewhat festive, with music and dancing and free drinks and IMO were worth attending. Most events were very well attended from production shows to entertainers to cooking demonstrations, to late night cabaret shows.

I have found people do dress up a bit more men in Jackets (if they brought one) women in sparkly tops or LB Dress

It is a personal choice of course

Lyn

On our RIO to VAL this past Dec We did find that for the captains's party people did dress to "the max"so to speak. We never did see such a display again in the cruise.

one for Oceania club members .

I wonder why they would advertised it for Club Members if anyone can go :confused:

Here I thought it was a loyalty perk

NEW Blue - Cruise Credits 2-4

• NEW - Blue membership pins
  • NEW - Exclusive Oceania Club cocktail reception
  • NEW - Exclusive Members-Only Offers
  • NEW - Advanced notice on new itineraries
  • NEW - 10% discount on Oceania Cruises logo merchandise

Lyn

I wonder why they would advertised it for Club Members if anyone can go :confused:

Here I thought it was a loyalty perk

NEW Blue - Cruise Credits 2-4

• NEW - Blue membership pins
  • NEW - Exclusive Oceania Club cocktail reception
  • NEW - Exclusive Members-Only Offers
  • NEW - Advanced notice on new itineraries
  • NEW - 10% discount on Oceania Cruises logo merchandise

Lyn

That is a different cocktail party than the one that was originally being discussed. I have yet to make it to one of the ones being discussed, i am usually busy doing something else on the ship,:D

That is a different cocktail party than the one that was originally being discussed. I have yet to make it to one of the ones being discussed, i am usually busy doing something else on the ship,:D

In post #7 they mentioned the Oceania Club members party

I have only seen 1 party supposed to be for Club member

& the Captains party which is open for all

I think the party for SUITE guests are a thing of the past

Is that the other party you are thinking of??

Rich, we are finishing up an identical itinerary and there were two Captain's parties, one early, and one for Oceania club members that I believe everyone was invited to, near the end of the cruise. We attended both but came a little late and missed the speeches, etc. The parties were somewhat festive, with music and dancing and free drinks and IMO were worth attending. Most events were very well attended from production shows to entertainers to cooking demonstrations, to late night cabaret shows.

Danny and all other posters -

Thanks for the info.

I note the free drinks at the party but we will purchase the drinks package.The Perrier Jouet Champagne alone makes the package cost effective.

I notice O is serving STURGEON caviar in the Grand Dining Room.Is the Caviar available only on certain nights or only possibly at a special event like the Captains Cocktail Party?

How are the Steaks on O? I recall somewhere they serve up a 28 day dry aged USDA PRIME steak maybe in one of the specialty restaurants.

I recall you do not drink alcohol or only small amounts but do you recall what wine is served on the all inclusive package.

We are very much looking forward to the Karaoke and evening entertainment.

We love the Caribbean.Our first cruise around some of the islands was on the Raddison Diamond.

Thank you again for the very informative posts.

Rich

1. We received invitations to the "private" members party. I am not sure why, but we did dine one evening with the assistant cruise director, so that may have been the difference.

2. I don't eat caviar so I can't help you there, and paid no attention to the wines, although we did dine one evening at La Reserve where interesting wines were served.

3. I ordered a ribeye steak at the Polo Grill, which was okay but not great. Surprisingly the best steak that I tasted on the ship is the one used in the surf and turf served in the Waves grill. If you order there but prefer to dine inside at the Terrace, waiters will bring your food to you inside.

4. Karaoke was pretty well attended but not many people actually sang. My favorite night in Horizons was when the 4 lead singers from the singing/dancing troupe took turns singing with the band, along with cruise director Nolen Dean, who is also a talented singer. Lots of fun and the whole place was rocking. Actually it was supposed to be Rock the Boat by the pool, but due to weather, it was moved to Horizons.

Sounds like your wife will be appreciated at Karaoke!

To all those joining Rich on the Riviera this spring.....his beautiful brides performance at karaoke is not to be missed :D !

Hi Caryn.

Hopefully we will see you and Stan in the audience.I truly believe on this cruise " The Wobbling Warbler" will attain a vocal level that will leave the audience absolutely stunned.She informs me this time for a period of approximately 2 hours or so before the performance she will calm her nerves and relax her vocal chords with Perrier Jouet.I presume he is her French vocal coach . As you know my wife is multi talented but unfortunately singing is not not one she excels at.Entertaining maybe.A crowd pleaser maybe.See you on the 28th

Let the fun times roll

Rich

Hi Caryn.

Hopefully we will see you and Stan in the audience.I truly believe on this cruise " The Wobbling Warbler" will attain a vocal level that will leave the audience absolutely stunned.She informs me this time for a period of approximately 2 hours or so before the performance she will calm her nerves and relax her vocal chords with Perrier Jouet.I presume he is her French vocal coach . As you know my wife is multi talented but unfortunately singing is not not one she excels at.Entertaining maybe.A crowd pleaser maybe.See you on the 28th

Let the fun times roll

Rich

This will be my first cruise on "O" too, on Mar28th. I will have to check out this Karaoke performance.

Catherine

This will be my first cruise on "O" too, on Mar28th. I will have to check out this Karaoke performance.

Catherine

Oh Catherine, you are in for a treat!

Rich, not sure we can join you this spring, but we will certainly expect a full report! And video of karaoke!

Oh Catherine' date=' you are in for a treat!

Rich, not sure we can join you this spring, but we will certainly expect a full report! And video of karaoke![/quote']

Caryn

Since entering into a new contract with the recording company "Quality Unique Individual and Talented " I am sorry to say QUIT will not allow any unauthorized recordings of Melissa's one of a kind voice unleashed into the public domain without the required warnings in place .

Rich

I realize that due to different itineraries no one can specify in advance which night of the cruise the Captain's Cocktail Party is likely to be held, but at what time in the evening does this event generally take place?

AS I recall all that we have gone to began at 5:30 PM and goes for a designated amount of time. Some people tend to line up early outside the doors on the "R" ships since it is held only in the main lounge. On the "O" class ships, since it's spread out among several venues, that's usually not so much the situation.

I realize that due to different itineraries no one can specify in advance which night of the cruise the Captain's Cocktail Party is likely to be held, but at what time in the evening does this event generally take place?

As I recall it is early... like 5:30- 6pm usually over by 7pm in time for people to go to dinner there may be a few people that linger

Archived