Dress Code Offenders

Boobaby

First of all, why would someone like wearing baseball caps so much? It is okay to wear them at appropriate times such as baseball games, but formal dinners and cruises are not appropriate times for a baseball cap. Very funny story.

Maybe he is bald and is afraid of getting a sunburn? Why worry about it so much? My DH needs to keep his head covered too - he gets sunburned easily -and as a person who has had surgery for skin cancer - I applaud him for being cognizant of the dangers associated with excessive exposure.

People have different likes and dislikes - I like wearing flip-flops around the house, my Mom can't understand why I don't prefer slippers... :)

have my Daily Program from the Zuiderdam, 5/14 cruise.

It says -- Tonight's dress: informal

Sports jackets for men

So apparently from ship to ship there is a difference in what is printed in the program. There is no mention on what women are to wear -- at least in the Daily Program.

Those who did not read their docs may be puzzled by "informal" night, at least as far as what women should wear.

My purpose in posting those scans of the dress code notice in the ship's Daily Program was not to try and claim that such is the standard the fleet-over. Indeed, having been on quite a few HAL ships I can testify that such is definitely (and sadly) not the case. I WISH the Line would uniformly assert the code, and enforce it too.

I find it interesting that on the Zuiderdam -- HAL's least-traditional ship -- they still list "Sports jacket for men" under the Informal Night dress code ... no "suggested." It simply states what "informal" means for men. I wish English did a better job of communicating the imperative case.

Perhaps they don't feel they needed to define what informal means for women because women are less of a problem in the dress-code violation department?? I don't know.

Sadly, many passengers do NOT read the "Know Before You Go" booklet. Why, I don't know. Perhaps they just don't feel anything in it applies to them?

I was with you right up thru this line. But, in some parts of the US, wearing your Stetson to dinner (when not at home) is considered very acceptable even in the most polite society.

When in Rome, dress like the Romans....:)

A real cowboy would always remove his Stetson in-doors and in the presense of a women. Thats how us real cowboys can tell the fakes.

What is still really confusing me is why in each instance they do not mention that men are required to wear something with their jackets. They always mention that women should don a dress or perhaps slacks and a blouse, but nothing for men. The only requirement is jacket and a tie (which will look pretty silly without the shirt, but it could be done;) )

It surprises me that no man has found this loophole and worn nothing. They do say "no shorts in the dining room" so shorts would be out, but there's no mention of trousers or pants that I can see.

For those who love loopholes .... there you go!:D

You're right that the Zuiderdam is the least formal and traditional of the HAL ships. From what I've seen, women are less of a problem with dress code violations, and HAL needs to clearly state what is imperative for men in all situations at dinner.

My purpose in posting those scans of the dress code notice in the ship's Daily Program was not to try and claim that such is the standard the fleet-over. Indeed, having been on quite a few HAL ships I can testify that such is definitely (and sadly) not the case. I WISH the Line would uniformly assert the code, and enforce it too.

I find it interesting that on the Zuiderdam -- HAL's least-traditional ship -- they still list "Sports jacket for men" under the Informal Night dress code ... no "suggested." It simply states what "informal" means for men. I wish English did a better job of communicating the imperative case.

Perhaps they don't feel they needed to define what informal means for women because women are less of a problem in the dress-code violation department?? I don't know.

Sadly, many passengers do NOT read the "Know Before You Go" booklet. Why, I don't know. Perhaps they just don't feel anything in it applies to them?

Revneal,

My purpose in stating what the program listed on the Zuiderdam was not to disagree with what you scanned in from your program, but to point out the ambiguity of the Zuiderdam's listing.

Obviously pax cannot rely on the guides provided by the Daily Program.

For instance, on casual days the program simply states "No shorts, tank tops, swimwear or workout clothes." It never mentions jeans.

As far as informal for women, I've always taken that to mean dressing up, but not in a formal gown! Cocktail dresses, etc.

Goodness - 337 posts now on the 3 active threads re dress code ..and we've resolved what??

Just out of curiosity, how big a problem IS non-compliance?? In 5 cruises over the past 4 yrs we've seen relatively little of it.. but perhaps we're not as actively LOOKING for it as many of you?

Even at 2% non-compliance, we're talking about 30 people?? Are they worth all the angst?

I saw that one poster was aghast at a couple on deck in the jammies and robes at nite.. given the speedos and ladies who are past their prime bikini years, during the day.. seems jammies and robes are a conservative breath of fresh air..

Guess I need to start lookin for a special baseball cap to wear with my tux in Feb on Volendam..

Not even gonna venture in the water on the VIP thread.. I understand booze smugglers don't qualify for an invite.. *S*

I'll see if I can get an entry in the daily program when we sail in Feb for "Friends of Jim B(eam)" No dress code to attend and anyone wearing a coat or tie will be turned away at the door..

Feel free to return to your hand wringing.. I'm gone...

Buh bye now:D !

I always love the people who dash in, say their piece and say they're gone;) .

Did I miss something? Were we trying to "solve" something here? When have we every solved anything here? Lead me to the thread. For me it's idle banter ... a way to spend some idle hours, have a few laughs and every now and again I learn something new and very interesting. Every now and then it gets a bit messy, but then it's all civil again.

Sort of like life.

Goodness - 337 posts now on the 3 active threads re dress code ..and we've resolved what??

Just out of curiosity, how big a problem IS non-compliance?? In 5 cruises over the past 4 yrs we've seen relatively little of it.. but perhaps we're not as actively LOOKING for it as many of you?

Even at 2% non-compliance, we're talking about 30 people?? Are they worth all the angst?

I saw that one poster was aghast at a couple on deck in the jammies and robes at nite.. given the speedos and ladies who are past their prime bikini years, during the day.. seems jammies and robes are a conservative breath of fresh air..

Guess I need to start lookin for a special baseball cap to wear with my tux in Feb on Volendam..

Not even gonna venture in the water on the VIP thread.. I understand booze smugglers don't qualify for an invite.. *S*

I'll see if I can get an entry in the daily program when we sail in Feb for "Friends of Jim B(eam)" No dress code to attend and anyone wearing a coat or tie will be turned away at the door..

Feel free to return to your hand wringing.. I'm gone...

Just want to inform that, due to the above, many different types of undergarments may possibly now be bunched beyond repair.;)

It surprises me that no man has found this loophole and worn nothing. They do say "no shorts in the dining room" so shorts would be out, but there's no mention of trousers or pants that I can see.

For those who love loopholes .... there you go!:D

Heather - On two of our Holiday cruises, we've seen several of the younger men (probably ages 18-25) wear their tux jackets, tux shirts, with nice plaid shorts and matching bowties (usually a Holiday theme, green/red plaid) - along with dress shoes, socks - the whole ensemble.

I was a bit surprised when I first saw this, but I liked it - a bit of individuality and fun - especially on such a festive cruise. I had no problem with it, nor did most of the other pax.

I know this is quite a bit different from what you are referring to, but thought I'd share a fun story about how some of the people we've encountered on our cruises actually seem to "interpret" the dress code in a manner that most of us don't even consider. :)

Yes YES. I can't uderstand cruise lines that would permit abuse of the guidelines and I refuse to book on those lines. If they're not going to enforce their guidelines, than why bother booking with them? If ANYTHING go's, than why have a dress code at all? I'd love to have the cruise lines answer this question.

These cruises aren't inexpensive, at least not for me, and any line that doesn't police it's own policies will not get my business, PERIOD....

How many times in a year do we have a chance to dress up? Just think of it as a costume ball and follow the code. Most of us get it and a few of us don't.

Archived