On board Riviera now...

Hambagahle

Gerry-

Thanks so much. Having cruised together I trust your taste so we booked today for a 10 day cruise on Riviera. Was looking for a 7 night one but 10 it is and I am giddy to start planning....if I love it, this may work out well and we will choose between Regent and O based on itinerary.

Hey Tina, congrats! I'm betting it's in December, so not long after we get off of our crossing.

Hey Tina, congrats! I'm betting it's in December, so not long after we get off of our crossing.

Yes, we did December but now factoring in gratuities, internet, etc....we are coming up close to Regent....excited about dining on O so that may tip us to actually do it

We also were on this cruise. The food was the best yet of all our Oceania cruises. Thank you FDR !!!

We have also sailed Regent, but left because we did not like the " all inclusive " since we don't drink and don't use the excursion package.

We always enjoy Nolan and Trivia. The string quartet was exceptional.

We cruise Oceania every year and have already booked 2014.

Hello all, have been following the conversations. New at this, we are about to book the Riviera TA in November 2013 to Miami. Can I ask your advice as to what I need to discuss with the travel agent? Is there a particular area we should try to get on the ship, and.....whatever help you can offer? Thanks, lorri:):)

Hello all, have been following the conversations. New at this, we are about to book the Riviera TA in November 2013 to Miami. Can I ask your advice as to what I need to discuss with the travel agent? Is there a particular area we should try to get on the ship, and.....whatever help you can offer? Thanks, lorri:):)

I'm booked on the cruise, and there's an active roll-call here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1595268

Location partly depends on cabin class, I think. We're new to Oceania too, and wanted as mid-ship as possible, but sprung for a PH3. I like midship because I have a tendency towards motion sickness. If your travel agent is knowledgeable about the ship, they should be able to steer you in the right direction; if not, then you may have to do your own research on the oceania website, or as specific questions here. Since I've never been on any of their ships, I can't answer specific questions, but I'm sure others will chime in.

Lorri, we were new to Oceania as well and sprung for the PH3 (you are going to LOVE it!!:)). On this ship we found the aft part of the ship was our focus for most everything. However, if you'll spend a lot of time in the spa you might want to be forward.

PH3s are located toward the bow and stern. To get midships you need to go to a PH2. We were in 7128 which we found ideal in so many ways; it had such easy access to Red Ginger, Jacques, and the Grand Dining Room ... also to get off the ship in ports (we could take the stairs so easily.

Ideally midway between the 2 sets of elevators would be my choice. If you like to do a lot of walking, then forward would be good (or as I mentioned if you're going to be in the spa or Horizons a lot).

But the ship is easy to get around and it's not that big. So there are really no "bad" locations. Enjoy!!

We are now in our rented house in Orlando... Playing golf!! If it rains I shall have time to write my analysis of Oceania vs Regent, plus my review of our Carribran cruise. Otherwise I shall do all this when I get back to Switzerland. I am sure you all u nderstand

Tina and Wendy. You will love Oceania. I am totally, as we say "gobsmacked". ( I do not expect Americans to understand that...). I have experienced a real luxury cruise... And cannot wait to get back on board. But realistically that will not be this year. Our suite was wonderful. Ad well worth the cost. The ship is amazing and SO well designed. But more later when I have time, and can think. Right now my priority is my golf swing... And putting which greatly improved with the time spent on the putting "course" on the Riviera. And sadly, I did not play Trivia... Not even once!

Gerry

........ I am totally, as we say "gobsmacked". ( I do not expect Americans to understand that...). ..........

Gerry

:) Well, I'm an American and I understand it:)! It happened to me the cruise before you. And I love the way you put it.

Look forward to your review. In the meantime, enjoy Florida and a safe trip home. Thank you for keeping me onboard if only virtually;).

We are now in our rented house in Orlando... Playing golf!! If it rains I shall have time to write my analysis of Oceania vs Regent, plus my review of our Carribran cruise. Otherwise I shall do all this when I get back to Switzerland. I am sure you all u nderstand

Tina and Wendy. You will love Oceania. I am totally, as we say "gobsmacked". ( I do not expect Americans to understand that...). I have experienced a real luxury cruise... And cannot wait to get back on board. But realistically that will not be this year. Our suite was wonderful. Ad well worth the cost. The ship is amazing and SO well designed. But more later when I have time, and can think. Right now my priority is my golf swing... And putting which greatly improved with the time spent on the putting "course" on the Riviera. And sadly, I did not play Trivia... Not even once!

Gerry

So glad you enjoyed your experience. I have enjoyed experiencing it with you. Hope the sun joins yoi in Florida and safe journey home. Will look forward to your review.

Joanna

Gerry

But Canadians will understand "gobsmacked", and both Tina and I are!

You may be able to write your report tomorrow--I think rain is heading our way, although it may just be overnight!

I have never known you to be a pessimist, Wendy! But yes, some rain is in the forecast and much concern. Right now it is 30c and I am sitting at the pool!! But tomorrow, unless it rains all day we have a golf lesson. But as soon as I can I will write both the review and the comparison.

I am going to be really jealous of you when you board the Riviera!

Gerry

There was an article in the local paper of the recent imported British words that are common in the US.

Gobsmacked was one of them along with expiry, en suite(bathroom) and many others.

Those of us with British friends have long known gobsmacked. It is also the root of such words/expressions as "the gift of gab" since gob means mouth.

Now if we can only get the British to avoid finding everything "Brilliant":D

Archived