On board Riviera now...

Hambagahle

We just finished reading this entire thread. We are Crystal loyalest but now we are re-thinking trying O I am impressed with Hambagahle posts and glad they are having a great time.

We did Regent five times and did not like it so it was back to Crystal for us. I think think change would be good for us and we would book a suite. I will call our TA tomorrow and request a brochure.

We don't care about signing a chit unless my hand is broken. LOL

Our friends have sailed on the Marina and said everything was up to their expectations. We can't wait to hear the final review of this cruise.

We just finished reading this entire thread. We are Crystal loyalest but now we are re-thinking trying O I am impressed with Hambagahle posts and glad they are having a great time.

We did Regent five times and did not like it so it was back to Crystal for us. I think think change would be good for us and we would book a suite. I will call our TA tomorrow and request a brochure.

We don't care about signing a chit unless my hand is broken. LOL

Our friends have sailed on the Marina and said everything was up to their expectations. We can't wait to hear the final review of this cruise.

Miles,

We just completed our first O cruise on the Riviera after 10 cruises on Crystal. There are differences, some of which favor Crystal IMO, and some of which favor O. Although the service is generally vey good on Riviera, there are no Lido guys who know your name and anticipate your every need on O. The service is a little more reserved, and as you dine in different venues, you do not have regular dining room waiters who learn your preferences. No big deal, just different from what you are used to. We did miss the Bistro as Riviera does not have a similar place to gather for coffee, fruits, cheeses, pastries, etc. during the day. They have Baristas which is supposed to be more like an Italian cafe where you walk in, get your coffee, eat a biscotti, and are on your way. We did attend afternoon tea every day, which was lovely, whereas on Crystal we often skip tea because there are other alternatives like the Bistro or afternoon lectures.

O does not emphasize sea days or lectures, so, for example there was one all purpose lecturer on our cruise who gave one lecture on each sea day. On Crystal, as you know, there are 3 lectures on a sea day, and for example, on a Panama Canal cruise last year we had both former NY Mayor Ed Koch and FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt. Lectures are important to some people and unimportant to others.

The entertainment was pretty good on our cruise and the cruise director was more fun than any I have met on Crystal. By having one main show at 9:30, the shows were well attended.

We did miss the Avenue Saloon as the piano player and the design of the piano bar were inadequate for entertainment, and the piano bar area was rather sleepy.

We really enjoyed the dining options on Riviera. The specialty restaurants were very good and the casual Terrace cafe was a pleasant surprise for casual nighttime dining, with sushi, grilled lobster tails, crab claws, and even Dover Sole. We also enjoyed the open dining with fixed dining times only when we had specialty restaurant reservations.

We enjoyed the casual atmosphere but will say that we felt that some pax took it too far by wearing tee shirts and shorts around the ship at night. Your buddy ATS would not have been happy!

We liked very much that smoking was only allowed in two places on the ship. We also liked that there are a lot of nice nooks and crannies, both inside and outside where you can relax, read, etc.

The beds are very nice, the cabins are well appointed and the ship is beautiful.

O has a different philosophy than Crystal. Most of their itineraries are port intensive, with passengers who want to tour every day, and therefore there is less emphasis on filling every moment on board with activities...although with the culinary classes, trivia, sport deck and more, one can easily find enough to do. Even though our itinerary began and ended in Miami, we found the crowd to be a little younger than we have encountered on Crystal.

So, I encourage you to give Oceania a try, but if you do, it is better to accept O for what it is, rather than comparing it to Crystal. The six of us could not help comparing in the beginning, but as our cruise went on, we began to enjoy Oceania more and more, and by the end of the cruise, we all had an appreciation for the Oceania experience. Also, looking ahead to future cruises, a lot O's itineraries look more interesting to me than Crystal's, with their new shortened itineraries. I would be happy to sail on either line again with a good itinerary.

I am very impressed that FDR takes a personal interest in every detail of the cruise experience on Oceania, and that he monitors and posts on the CC board.

So, I encourage you to give Oceania a try, but if you do, it is better to accept O for what it is, rather than comparing it to Crystal.

That is the best statement I have read in a long time ;)

Lyn

LHT28, I agree with digtexas' summary. I have sailed Silver Sea as well as Crystal (and many other lines), but we keep coming back to O for some of the very reasons stated.

The only thing I don't agree with is about those not remembering what you want as you don't have the staff on a regular basis. We have been so impressed with how much each crew member remembers, and that also includes from cruise to cruise. We have arrived for a trip, and it never fails that one of the crew come up and welcome us "by name" and that is on the first day.

We will be on O again Feb. 7th, and we look forward to seeing some of the crew we have known in the past. We are counting the days. :p

Hi Danny, thank you so much for your review and it was well balanced. If we sail O we will not compare it to Crystal.

ATS would have a heart attack if he saw the very casual dress code. I am laughing so hard at your comment.

I noticed on the Regent board that several are going over to O and a few are going over to Crystal. We may test drive o just to change things up. I am glad you had a good time on the Rivera.

Gerry, thanks so much for taking us along. I'm looking forward to your full review and comparison when you get back to Switzerland.

You've caused a bit of a stampede over on the Regent board I thnk, and now it sounds like Crystalites too. Even Jackie's reconsidering her adamantly no-Oceania stance! Can't wait to try O in the fall.

I have been so busy I have not been able to write for a while!

Roatan was cancelled. So we had a sea day, with much rocking about. Yesterday we were at Costa Maya and had yet another magnificent excursion to Mayan ruins at Chacchoben. Our guide, Letitia, was superb. En route (an hour's drive) she talked about the Maya, diet, rituals, etc and passed around lots of things for us to look at. At the ruins she gave a superb in depth tour yet left us time to explore on our own and to take photos. I took lots. It lacks the drama of Lamanai, but nonetheless is well worth a visit. (Lamanai is in a real jungle, and the boat ride there and back was great).

Last night we dined with Thierry Tholon, GM, and Natalie the Social Hostess. Absolutely charming people and both answered a lot of questions I had about Oceania. they in return asked me lots about Regent. It is clear to me that the personality and charisma of Frank Del Rio permates this company from top to bottom. He must be quite a fellow! One surprise I had was to learn that many many of the senior management (GM, Chefs, staff people etc) are ex Silversea people which I think in part accounts for the high quality in this line.

Dinner was in the Grand Dining Room, a first for us. And was very good ... Chateaubriand with Bearnaise! After dinner there was a party on the Pool Deck. Really good use of that space on a tropical evening and it was really well attended. We loved it! And reflected that it is a shame that Regent doesnt use the outside space much at night, even in hot weather. the area around the pool was really "jumping" last night.

Today I took my second cooking class. Moroccan cuisine. I thought the Mexican one was better but one always learns something in a class...and I enjoyed it. This evening is a cocktail for the Oceania Club members (like SSS on regent) and though this is our first cruise with them, we have been invited. Tonight we have our second dinner at Red Ginger. But tomorrow disaster will strike! We shall be on our last day of the cruise and I am feeling terrible already!

To the chap who wants to know about the Super bowl... answer is it will be shown subject to satelite availablity. Which I suppose means "perhaps"...

Gerry

...Last night we dined with Thierry Tholon, GM, and Natalie the Social Hostess.

Natalie is one of our favorites; she "makes" the cruise for us. We love her to bits. If you get a chance, say "Hi" to her from Betsy and Don. Thierry is also one of our favorite General Managers, in the mold of Franck Galzy.

Gerry,

I assume that the party on the deck was the "rock the boat" party where Nolan and the lead singers sang with the band. Is that correct? Ours on the cruise before yours was moved indoors due to weather but it was my favorite entertainment of the cruise.

Hi Heather,

My wife and I will be doing Caribbean Hideaways on the February 12 sailing. We can't wait to experience the food you described and everything else that you and others have described about Riviera.

If you did the Baths in Tortola I was wondering if you would recommend the purchase of water shoes. We are going to the Baths and also doing the mineral and mud baths at the Volcano in St. Lucia and would rather not purchase and pack two more pairs of shoes unless they are a true necessity. I haven't found a clear yes or no to whether they are.

Also, we recently returned from a holiday vacation in Curacao. While the beaches were wonderful we got many more insect bites than I remember on other Caribbean beaches. Again, it's simply a packing issue - whether or not to add a large aerosol can to our luggage.

Any guidance you or others could provide on these admittedly small details would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

I have been to the Baths twice and loved it each time! If, you do the entire beach to restaurant hike, it is tricky, slippy, and "be careful time" - water shoes would be great. There is some climbing up wooden stairs and many low parts that I always bump my head on the rocks, but it is worth the effort. btw, we have always done it coming ashore on a dinghy from our friend's sailboat, so we start at the beach. I am 70 years old and in good shape, so If I can do it anyone can, just bring those water shoes. Have fun.

Suite travels. - if you buy the full "beverage package" on Oceania you do not sign for drinks. You give them your suite card they swipe it and that is that. Not onerous at all. And the Bar Stewards wait till you have finished that second glass of wine etc at dinner... I did not find this a problem, and even on those days when (maybe...) I did not drink enough to offset the cost of the package (about 50usd per day). I thought it was a great plan so I would not feel "nickeled and dimed".

Digtexas - yes, it was the Rock the Boat party. And outside. Really great fun for all.

After lunch yesterday we heard a "code Mike" emergency announced in a guest cabin on deck 10. We assumed this was medical. Then later Nolan announced that we would be speeding to Key West because of a medical situation and would arrive there about 3am. Ad indeed the ship flew. 21knots, we saw on the computer readout... But then in the middle of the night we slowed to a normal, or even slower than normal speed and finally arrived Key West on time. So I hope the guest was recovering and not the reverse. Someone did say an ambulance was at the dock when we arrived...

I haven't been to Key West since 2005 and the centre is really tacky and run down. Lots of distasteful tee shirt shops etc. didn't see any nice boutiques or shops. Anyway we came back on board. I had my last cooking class "southern comforts" at 4pm. Chef Noelle was in her element in this class and it was very good. Tonight we had our last dinner at Polo Grill. Lobster! And yummy, but I think I have reached food saturation point. We also completed our questionnaires. And - for the first time ever on a cruise - Ken actually filled out a form. I pointed out that this was aberrant behavior... And he said that since everything had been so great he wanted to tell them so. Well, if that doesn't speak volumes, what does?

I am so NOT looking forward to disembarkation ... And I am really looking forward to our next Oceania cruise, but where and when has yet to be decided.

Will of course write a review. And a comparison of Oceania and Regent. Once I can get on cost- free and more reliable Internet and once, of course, I have time... Holidays are SO busy!

Gerry

Gerry, thanks so much for taking us along. I'm looking forward to your full review and comparison when you get back to Switzerland.

You've caused a bit of a stampede over on the Regent board I thnk, and now it sounds like Crystalites too. Even Jackie's reconsidering her adamantly no-Oceania stance! Can't wait to try O in the fall.

For the record....... we would never consider leaving Regent. However, as we did with Silversea, we are open to other experiences........ all of this depends upon the report of my good friend Caroldoll when she is on the Riviera next month. We are discussing possible itineraries for Fall 2014 but are far from making a decision. I would be surprised if the majority of Regent regulars that try Oceania did not return to their "home" (Regent).

Gerry, thank you so much for taking us along and making me feel I virtually stayed on the ship :). I did fill out Ray's comment form, but he told me what to check.

The good news is that disembarkation at Terminal J is so easy you hardly know it's happened! You're probably off and on your way already which reminds me I really need to take a look at the Port of Miami webcam and see Riviera safely back at the pier after another remarkable journey for so many.

Look forward to your review! Safe travels.

After lunch yesterday we heard a "code Mike" emergency announced in a guest cabin on deck 10. We assumed this was medical. Then later Nolan announced that we would be speeding to Key West because of a medical situation and would arrive there about 3am....

...I haven't been to Key West since 2005 and the centre is really tacky and run down. Lots of distasteful tee shirt shops etc. didn't see any nice boutiques or shops.

I love KW but it really is tacky in the light of day--which is when the cruise ships are in town. They usually sail off just as the sun goes down when the town starts to wake up. If you've only seen KW in the daytime; you haven't seen KW.

Now, your experience, getting into KW at 3 a.m. sounds like you had an opportunity to REALLY see the town in its natural element! Were you able to leave the ship at that hour and hit Duval Street while it was rockin?

We didn't get into KeyWest at 3am... Suddenly in the night the ship slowed down, and we arrived there at 7am. I am not sure if the ill person recovered - or not. Anyway 3am is not a time I like to be anywhere except in bed!

Disembarkation was a breeze this morning. Oceania is so well organised. We started early, and though we had asked for an 0830 time, we were in the first group called. W left our suite at 0755, walked off the ship, and down to get our bags. We were in our friends home in Miami Beach at 0825. Smooth as silk. Both embarkation and disembarkation were so much better in Miami than FLL and I assume this is because of the terminal... But also because Oceania gives priority to suite and Concierge class passengers. Which , IMO, is right and proper. I know some (especially one!) people disagree but I think Oceania has it right.

Gerry

Gerry-

Thanks so much. Having cruised together I trust your taste so we booked today for a 10 day cruise on Riviera. Was looking for a 7 night one but 10 it is and I am giddy to start planning....if I love it, this may work out well and we will choose between Regent and O based on itinerary.

Gerry, thanks so much for taking us along.

Well you can add me to this growing list.... Looking to book O in 2014!

Your postings solidified my decision to change cruise lines. Sadly, I have a lot of cancellations to make and I worry about getting the new ones. However, if I get the right instructions, I will sleep on the telephone to get them! LOL. We have tried Oceania (Regatta) and liked it. All of the things we didn't like (which were petty) have been changed in the ensuing years. We are not new to cruising and definitely to 4 at least a year. Our last two were a disaster...Sandy (hurricane) which was no one's fault, but being homebound in a small cabin which was one of the largest on the ship was kind of unpleasant, and the next one two months later had an untenable smoking policy. We simply must have a happy medium. If all is how it was for you, we are happy to make the change...very happy. Thank you for helping us with our decision. I agree on the special privileges, by the way.

Both embarkation and disembarkation were so much better in Miami than FLL and I assume this is because of the terminal... But also because Oceania gives priority to suite and Concierge class passengers. Which , IMO, is right and proper. I know some (especially one!) people disagree but I think Oceania has it right.

Gerry

There is no priority given to anyone for disembarking. You choose the time you wish to disembark, you get luggage tags to match that time, and that's when you disembark, regardless of what level stateroom you are in.

Gerry-

Thanks so much. Having cruised together I trust your taste so we booked today for a 10 day cruise on Riviera. Was looking for a 7 night one but 10 it is

not many 7 day cruise on Oceania but FDR did mention they will have some in the new 2014 cruises coming out mid Feb

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36735448&postcount=6

Gerry,

which suite are you in, are you in one of the aft oceania suites on deck 11 or up on deck 12 in what type suite.

Have any pictures, or a good description of what you have.

We are hal cruisers but oceania has been trying to get us for a year now, and we will probably cruise the riviera later in 2013

any info will be greatly appreciated:)

Gerry,

which suite are you in, are you in one of the aft oceania suites on deck 11 or up on deck 12 in what type suite.

Have any pictures, or a good description of what you have.

We are hal cruisers but oceania has been trying to get us for a year now, and we will probably cruise the riviera later in 2013

any info will be greatly appreciated:)

Use the "Search" box at the top of the page and insert "Oceania Suite". You will have more information than your TA. Pay particular attention to JIMandSTAN replies as they are articulate and detailed with many photos.

Archived