On board Riviera now...

Hambagahle

Sea day yesterday and we. Attended our first lecture on the Mayans. Another to come today. The talk was wonderful, loads of useful info, and well delivered. Tea in Horizons followed with string quartet playing Mozart etc. wonderful! It was a lovely atmosphere and Ken said he thought he was back at the old Plaza hotel in NYC.

Dinner in Jacques. As most of you know, we live in Europe and I did not have the highest expectations, based on some of our local places in Switzerland which are really very good. Well Jacques was excellent! I would call it French country style. It does not pretend to be a Signatures type restaurant. We started with a lobster and caviar salad on winter radish. Excellent. Then I had Canard a l'Orange, with the most wonder red cabbage and a little gratin. The du k was slightly more cooked that I would have cooked it but was tender and tastey. Ken then had some gooey dessert which he loved and I had the cheese. Chapeau! Excellent choice including the best Epoisses I have e er had anywhere. Runny but not over ripe in the taste area. Nice wines too. (We have the wine package so can have pretty much anything by the glass. Good Chardonnay and a really good Malbec. 100% to Jacques.

Today we dine at Toscana. More about that tomorrow.

Weather is excellent and we are anchored off the Caymans today -along with 5 other ships. We will not be going ashore, preferring to stay on board away from the hordes!

We have made this cruise as all inclusive as we can. Unlimited Internet for 225usd and drinks package - seemingly anything by the glass, cocktails etc, - for around 990usd for the two for the cruise. Spa and laundry bills are extra of course. I did a spread sheet on costs and this 100m2 suite is costing us roughly what a Navigator suite would cost, on the identical itinerary. To me this is a no brainer.

Breakfast just now was in the Grand Dining Room. Lovely breakfast, cooked, and we were in and out in 30 mins. Same in the Compass rose would have been at least an hour. These people know what they are doing!

Gerry

Thanks for the post. I know that, like us, you enjoy shipboard life rather than an excursion intensive itinerary so your views are very useful.

Of course we are especially interested in cost comparison and so your paragraph on costing is extremely interesting. Your final thoughts, taking account of gratuities as well is eagerly awaited.

Meantime, enjoy that mouthwatering food and drink, Gerry & Ken. You have our best wishes.

Agree with you about Jacques. We went the first night to celebrate DH's big birthday. He raved about the duck and especially the red cabbage! I had the Dover Sole which was delicious.

We felt that Riviera is, in itself, a destination so while we did have two wonderful Oceania excursions, we enjoyed the ship as much as we could.

Love your updates!!!:) .... especially since we're doing your itinerary next January!

So glad you are enjoying your cruise. We always have breakfast in the GDR. You should try the baby lamb chops that are on the breakfast menu. Yum.

+1 for the delicious and tender baby lamb chops, we always ask for them with a side of warmed figs. HEAVEN!

Lamb-Chops-with-Balsamic-Reduction-AllRecipes-40180-70978.card.jpgfigs+in+syrup4.JPG

Ginny - thank you for your comments. We have been on multiple Mariner cruises before taking Riviera in Nov for three weeks. I also believe we were on a transatlantic with you on Mariner several years based on your posts on the Regent board. Your comments about Riviera/Mariner are spot on and I look forward to reading more.

One point about the cheese course in Jacques: a true pleasure to have two different cheese servers during our four meals there that were so well informed and patient, two women who took delight in answering questions about the selections. I love Liverot and the Epoisses which are, of course, available. But servers that know what they are talking about and who express pleasure in what they serve, why that was a very nice surprise.

Toscana has a good chef that cranked out several interesting "special" pasta dishes but be forewarned. The daily pasta special can be terrific or extremely rich. The tagliatelle bolognese sauce was the best I have had on a ship. Your comments on the Grand Dining Room - from breakfast to dinner - were spot on.

We are booked on Mariner in March & I am hopeful they have upped their game from our last cruise two years ago which paled in comparison to Riviera. There were a number of Mariner-ites on Riviera in November. Seems a good number of past Regent customers were disenchanted with the new transatlantic schedule that ended up in Rio vs. Miami. Enjoy the rest of your sailing!

We had breakfast in the GDR one morning only and the eggs benedict were, without question, the BEST I've ever had. Friends told us the baby lamb chops were amazing, but for me just a bit early for lamb.:)

Toscana was my least favorite. I literally didn't eat my dinner, but DH loved his and loved the restaurant. Service as always was superb. My dessert was so delicious, but I can't remember the name. But I know it was chocolate!

I think Polo, overall, was my personal favorite though everyone else we encountered couldn't stop talking about Red Ginger. I think I just made poor choices there and unfortunately our group did not share.

It's funny -- my first choice was always Polo (maybe because I could pronounce all the names of the food ;)), and I was not impressed with Jacques the first time I dined there, but now it has become my favorite. Similarly, I wasn't totally thrilled with Red Ginger, not until this past December when we (including Jan) had a table for 8 and had our meal family style, as described by Jan.

They just kept coming out with dishes -- for example, two sea bass which quickly disappeared as they were passed around, followed quickly be two more. We had all the starters, all the entrees and all the sides, and if anything got low, they brought more. What a fabulous meal! Red Ginger could easily become my favorite if we do the same again!

Isn't it wonderful to have so many choices! And, all included in the fare!

We also have breakfast almost exclusively in the Grand Dining Room. If we need to hurry to make an excursion, we just let the server know. It can be quicker than the buffet, and we never have to search for a table.

It's funny -- my first choice was always Polo (maybe because I could pronounce all the names of the food ;)), and I was not impressed with Jacques the first time I dined there, but now it has become my favorite. Similarly, I wasn't totally thrilled with Red Ginger, not until this past December when we (including Jan) had a table for 8 and had our meal family style, as described by Jan.

They just kept coming out with dishes -- for example, two sea bass which quickly disappeared as they were passed around, followed quickly be two more. We had all the starters, all the entrees and all the sides, and if anything got low, they brought more. What a fabulous meal! Red Ginger could easily become my favorite if we do the same again!

Isn't it wonderful to have so many choices! And, all included in the fare!

We also have breakfast almost exclusively in the Grand Dining Room. If we need to hurry to make an excursion, we just let the server know. It can be quicker than the buffet, and we never have to search for a table.

Interesting, because we were 4 at Red Ginger on Marina in Oct 2011 and had expected to find it our favorite, and we were disappointed. Not that the meal was awful, it just wasn't up to our anticipations. I guess we should have had at least another couple with us and done as you did! That's what we normally do in Chinese restaurants, it just never occurred to us on Marina.

We absolutely loved Jacaques ...

And we breakfast in the GDR unless we have an early morning tour, in wich case we "eat in". As you say, plenty of room, great service and I love the lamb chops, eggs benedict and just about everything else. I remain surprised at the frequent complaints about the GDR because we've always felt it's very good. (Not always, but all restaurants have some complaints at some times.)

Given the large horde we're going to have on board in May 2014, we should perhaps be able to take over Red Ginger for a real Asian buffet like we often do in NYC's Chinatown ...

And then you waddle your way back to your room.

Mura

[quote name='Jancruz']When you eat at Red Ginger try to eat with other couples and have dinner served family style..there is a fabulous waitress that was on board when we were from Minsk..try to get her..
Jancruz1[/QUOTE]

So glad to learn about this! We will be on the Riviera next May and are traveling with 3 other couples. This sounds like a wonderful idea for us! Thanks! :D

Judy

"When you eat at Red Ginger try to eat with other couples and have dinner served family style..there is a fabulous waitress that was on board when we were from Minsk..try to get her..
Jancruz1"

We are a party of 2. We would like to do this, what do we have to ask for when we eat at Red Ginger.

Obviously, all parties have to start together, so when we make ressies, ask to be seated with others? How do we know the others want to dine this way?

Any suggestions how to arrange this would be great!

Thanks so much
J.

[quote name='kimanjo']"When you eat at Red Ginger try to eat with other couples and have dinner served family style..there is a fabulous waitress that was on board when we were from Minsk..try to get her..
Jancruz1"

We are a party of 2. We would like to do this, what do we have to ask for when we eat at Red Ginger.

Obviously, all parties have to start together, so when we make ressies, ask to be seated with others? How do we know the others want to dine this way?

Thanks so much
J.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Arial"]When you make your Restaurant reservations, you will have the option of asking to sit with others or having a table to yourself.

If you opt to share and don't know anyone else onboard, the restaurant Captain will endeavor to seat you with like minded people

As to how comfortable those people will be with "family style dining" is something that cannot be predicted.

Ask.....all that they can say is no![/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='kimanjo']"When you eat at Red Ginger try to eat with other couples and have dinner served family style..there is a fabulous waitress that was on board when we were from Minsk..try to get her..
Jancruz1"

Thanks so much
J.[/quote]
You could also just share some dishes like the Pad Thai if you prefer to dine alone
There are some dishes that are easier to share than others

Lyn

Jancruz1"

Thanks so much

If I were you I would plan Red Ginger later in the trip and see who you meet along the way..we always meet lots of people and you could ask them if they would like to share a wonderful family style meal at Red Ginger with you..I bet you will have 3 other couples before you know it as many people dont realize you can have family asian style on a ship
Jancruz1

[quote name='tallship']Gerry-
I know that you are in an O suite but do you have any idea what internet charges are for other suites ad if there is an inclusive plan offered for those suites?
Thx[/QUOTE]

Unlimited Internet is available to anyone who chooses to sign up for it. I think that we paid approximately $225 for 10 days and were delighted to do it. Yes, it was slow at times as it is on all ships, but at least, once you have the package, you don't have to worry about it and keep signing on and off after each email or article.

[quote name='hondorner']
We also have breakfast almost exclusively in the Grand Dining Room. If we need to hurry to make an excursion, we just let the server know. It can be quicker than the buffet, and we never have to search for a table.[/quote]
D

We do the same but don't give away our wonderful breakfast secret.That great table you always have may not be there when you want it.:rolleyes:

Tina - basically the unlimited plan is the same for all rooms, suites etc except that in the O suite - probably the Vista and Owners too - you get 10% off the total. I think it is a fair price for a ten day cruise. And it is a good connection. Not nearly as slow as on the Mariner, for example.

Yesterday our butler, Churchill, persuaded us to go ashore in the Caymans. When we got on shore after a very choppy tender Ken realized that we had both forgotten to bring cash, cc s etc! S all we could do was to wak around and look! How stupid of us! I suppose we are very laid back after Two days of utter pampering!

Harry Chiddick gave a talk in the afternoon on the countries we will visit. Since Central America is new to us, we really enjoyed this briefing. I then attended my first cooking class. Magnificent facilities and Noelle, the chef, was a good instructor. The classes all run 2 hours, wh ich is a lot of instruction for 69usd! I enjoyed it, and learnt a lot about Mexican food...

Then as we prepared to leave for Toscana for dinner Churchill appeared with "someone who wants to meet you", or so he said. To my great surprise it was Thierry Tholon, the GM. H said he wanted to be sure we were enjoying ourselves and were being well looked after. Then he kindly invited us for dinner later in the cruise. He is a charming man, and we are looking forward to dining with him soon. I have not had this happen to me on Regent. And needless to say, we were surprised!

Toscana was delightful, and the service excellent. I had a great carpaccio of octopus. ken had the pasta of the day which he said was very nice. I then had the veal chop which was large enough to feed 10 people! Ken was more cautious and had an excellent scallopini. However so far anyway, we prefer Polo and Jcques! Probably because we get so much Italian food in Switzerland it doesn't have the novelty of a steak house, nor of a French county restaurant... I was very good though!

Today is Cozumel. This time we will remember our wallets!
Gerry

[quote name='Hambagahle']Tina - basically the unlimited plan is the same for all rooms, suites etc except that in the O suite - probably the Vista and Owners too - you get 10% off the total. I think it is a fair price for a ten day cruise. And it is a good connection. Not nearly as slow as on the Mariner, for example.

Yesterday our butler, Churchill, persuaded us to go ashore in the Caymans. When we got on shore after a very choppy tender Ken realized that we had both forgotten to bring cash, cc s etc! S all we could do was to wak around and look! How stupid of us! I suppose we are very laid back after Two days of utter pampering!

Harry Chiddick gave a talk in the afternoon on the countries we will visit. Since Central America is new to us, we really enjoyed this briefing. I then attended my first cooking class. Magnificent facilities and Noelle, the chef, was a good instructor. The classes all run 2 hours, wh ich is a lot of instruction for 69usd! I enjoyed it, and learnt a lot about Mexican food...

Then as we prepared to leave for Toscana for dinner Churchill appeared with "someone who wants to meet you", or so he said. To my great surprise it was Thierry Tholon, the GM. H said he wanted to be sure we were enjoying ourselves and were being well looked after. Then he kindly invited us for dinner later in the cruise. He is a charming man, and we are looking forward to dining with him soon. I have not had this happen to me on Regent. And needless to say, we were surprised!

Toscana was delightful, and the service excellent. I had a great carpaccio of octopus. ken had the pasta of the day which he said was very nice. I then had the veal chop which was large enough to feed 10 people! Ken was more cautious and had an excellent scallopini. However so far anyway, we prefer Polo and Jcques! Probably because we get so much Italian food in Switzerland it doesn't have the novelty of a steak house, nor of a French county restaurant... I was very good though!

Today is Cozumel. This time we will remember our wallets!
Gerry[/QUOTE]

Isn't Churchill wonderful? He was our first butler on the Regatta. Two years later while waiting in line at the Port of Miami ,he was just embarking also, he spotted us in line, came over and greeted us by name and a warm hug. We felt so special. We have not had him since our first time and on our next sailing we are on wait list for PH but not hopeful for the Mar 4 sailing of Riviera. We hope to see him then. In the meantime, if you would, please tell him the O'Connor's are coming.

Archived