An Adults Only Cunard Liner, What would you choose?

cruiser101101

junglejane, I think that with Cunard it's hit and miss depending on the amount of teens on board. I can understand that they don't have an ongoing advertised teen program because, unlike lines like RCC, they just don't have a regular teen base. I've seen small groups of teens on every trip roaming around the ship. Some look like they've made new friends and are enjoying themselves while others seem bored and look like they are just waiting for an opportunity to make something happen.

Thanks Brigittetom. I was responding to Corporate Service's post, which seemed to suggest that parents who book their kids on Cunard may have failed to make enquiries, and just wanted to make the point that Cunard doesn't make it easy to "do your homework."

Since you are sailing in June, your daughters have a good chance of finding friends regardless of the teen program. If nothing else....a lame program gives them the opportunity to meet friends. :)

This is so true. My 16 year old says that her enjoyment of the teen program depends much more on hitting it off with some fellow teens than it does on the activities themselves. On our Christmas cruise on the Sapphire Princess she hit it off with a group of new friends. They would just play cards, play foosball, get snacks from the buffet or grill, and "hang out." She enjoyed it. She also likes glamming up for formal nights, afternoon tea, trivia and is looking forward to the planetarium, watching fencing, seeing dramatic performances, etc. Sounds like fun to her.

A lot of people have been complaining about children and teens running about the ship, while some people tell them to lighten up a little (thats me).

If Cunard or Cruise Critic had to run a poll similar to the following what would you choose?

Would you be in favour of:

A adults only ship.

A minimun age of 13/14

A minimum age of 16/18

Children of all ages should be allowed on board

I would select the last option. Children create a nice atmosphere on board and whats the problem with them?

After all adults were also children once and todays children will be tomorrows suite passengers.

I avoided this posting -on purpose - because I don't like to get into controversial subjects, but I thought [ as this acquired more posters] I would add simply -an experience involving children.

On a HAL cruise of over 70 days several years ago [ one of their "Grand" cruises] just down the hall from us was a family with two young teenagers -girls. We are older/retired -but as we noticed this family we found out that this longish cruise was a specific for them; Jennifer was just finishing a year's treatments etc - for Cancer. The two teenagers were somewhat aloof and unfriendly to us [ understandable] but spent MUCH time with their parents-who were also 'Home-schooling' their kids on Sea days.

As the cruise progressed you could see multiple functions happening within this dear family. Jennifer was feeling MUCH better, they were LITERALLY seeing "the World", but probably MOST importantly -they were becoming a family again. I remember saying goodbye to them as we prepared to disembark -and those hostile teenagers were smiling happly and clinging to their LOVING parents; Holland America had HELPED in the healing process.

I am sure this is not a "normal" cruise story but it IS one to consider amid the stories of naughty/pushy/"ornery" children......Children are "people" too with places to go, things to learn and geography to experience......;)

I don't understand why you are asking this question. You are one of the most prolific posters on the Cunard board and (for that reason) I do not believe that you do not know (as I do) that Austcruiser has just completed his first QM2 voyage.

If it is your intention to imply that Austcruiser's opinion isn't valid (because, he's only done one voyage) than you should simply be upfront and say so.

Whitemarsh,

Resist the urge to jump to conclusions and start trouble please. I asked Austcruiser how many times he had been on QM2 because I didn't know offhand (I don't memorize that sort of information) and didn't have time to go back and read all his posts. I was not implying anything, and your rude insinuations are not appreciated. -S.

I avoided this posting -on purpose - because I don't like to get into controversial subjects, but I thought [ as this acquired more posters] I would add simply -an experience involving children.

On a HAL cruise of over 70 days several years ago [ one of their "Grand" cruises] just down the hall from us was a family with two young teenagers -girls. We are older/retired -but as we noticed this family we found out that this longish cruise was a specific for them; Jennifer was just finishing a year's treatments etc - for Cancer. The two teenagers were somewhat aloof and unfriendly to us [ understandable] but spent MUCH time with their parents-who were also 'Home-schooling' their kids on Sea days.

As the cruise progressed you could see multiple functions happening within this dear family. Jennifer was feeling MUCH better, they were LITERALLY seeing "the World", but probably MOST importantly -they were becoming a family again. I remember saying goodbye to them as we prepared to disembark -and those hostile teenagers were smiling happly and clinging to their LOVING parents; Holland America had HELPED in the healing process.

I am sure this is not a "normal" cruise story but it IS one to consider amid the stories of naughty/pushy/"ornery" children......Children are "people" too with places to go, things to learn and geography to experience......;)

What a lovely story. Thank you for posting it and for the gentle lesson in patience, humility, and understanding we all need to learn

... I expect the Queens Room is the last place they want to be!
I was amazed when I traveled with a teenager a few years ago, that's exactly where she wanted to be!

I wanted to have a look at the teen/kids area (the only passenger area that I haven't seen) and this was probably my only excuse but my companion didn't want to go near the place. She was more interested in cocktails (mocktails) in the Commodore Club and dancing in the Queen's Room.

Regards, Colin.

Austcruiser, how many times have you been a passenger on QM2, if you don't mind my asking? Thanks, Salacia

Edited to add: I've only been a passenger on 10 QM2 voyages since 2008. (Counting one back-to-back cruise as 2 voyages)

Salacia,

Wow, you've been on 10 whole voyages and you still haven't got it figured out?

Not everyone is a fast learner I guess :)

I don't understand why you are asking this question. You are one of the most prolific posters on the Cunard board and (for that reason) I do not believe that you do not know (as I do) that Austcruiser has just completed his first QM2 voyage.

If it is your intention to imply that Austcruiser's opinion isn't valid (because, he's only done one voyage) than you should simply be upfront and say so.

I love it when people who were not there think they know more simply because they have been to a particular place many times before.

I'd wager - and forgive me for my one voyage experience...technically two if you count the segments - that with each voyage and each group of new people, that every voyage is different with different experiences.

But I've only done one voyage. Who knows, it could be the same people all year round on board :)

I love it when people who were not there think they know more simply because they have been to a particular place many times before.

I'd wager - and forgive me for my one voyage experience...technically two if you count the segments - that with each voyage and each group of new people, that every voyage is different with different experiences.

But I've only done one voyage. Who knows, it could be the same people all year round on board :)

The attitude of "I've done ten voyages and you've only done one" isn't helpful. It doesn't add to the spirit or enjoyment of this forum and I wish that particular individual would stop it.

I acknowledge that experienced cruisers have a wealth of knowledge to pass on, but I don't think we need to quantify whose opinion is more valuable. Otherwise, my (soon to be) three voyages covering Britannia, Princess & Queens Grill may mean that my opinion is more valid than someone whose done ten voyages, but all in Britannia. I don't think that's correct and I don't think most people do either.

The attitude of "I've done ten voyages and you've only done one" isn't helpful. It doesn't add to the spirit or enjoyment of this forum and I wish that particular individual would stop it.

I acknowledge that experienced cruisers have a wealth of knowledge to pass on, but I don't think we need to quantify whose opinion is more valuable. Otherwise, my (soon to be) three voyages covering Britannia, Princess & Queens Grill may mean that my opinion is more valid than someone whose done ten voyages, but all in Britannia. I don't think that's correct and I don't think most people do either.

Oh for sure, and much of the information given was so helpful for my trip. But he / she wasn't there and so doesn't actually know what really happened. That said, I am sure you could get hundreds of differing views of any particular voyage.

It's not that certain people cant just be upfront in their slights that bothers me, but rather their failure to insinuate and hit their mark.

I'm yet to burn.

my (soon to be) three voyages covering Britannia, Princess & Queens Grill may mean that my opinion is more valid than someone whose done ten voyages, but all in Britannia. I don't think that's correct and I don't think most people do either.

Whitemarsh - your opinion is valid!! I've been told that you are like the Oracle at Delphi and that you can communicate directly with the Autoberth

Whitemarsh - your opinion is valid!! I've been told that you are like the Oracle at Delphi and that you can communicate directly with the Autoberth

What do you mean "he is like" the Oracle?

A non believer! Kill the heretic! (great Life of Brian moment - that poor man)

Meanwhile, I was harassed in London tonight by a man who said I shouldn't shake my head at God (as I politely declined the man's offering of a pamphlet). I off handedly told him he wasn't God to which he yelled out that God was angry with me.

So either I met a crazy man or God tonight. I'm going with the former on this one.

But, back to the topic at hand...

I think you need to make an offering after insulting the Oracle, lest you be downgraded to a broom closet on your next voyage gentlemancruiser :)

A non believer! Kill the heretic! (great Life of Brian moment - that poor man)

As a point of clarification, Whitemarsh is head of public relations and communications for the Fashion Police, but I have personal knowledge that he receives instructions from the Omni Potens on a regular basis.

Salacia,

Wow, you've been on 10 whole voyages and you still haven't got it figured out?

Not everyone is a fast learner I guess :)

Austcruiser,

I have been reminded nicely several times on this forum that I've only had ten voyages on QM2, and thus lack the perspective of more experienced passengers (which is quite true), most recently when I mentioned that I have never been onboard a ship where there was a noro outbreak. I agreed that my experience is limited, appreciated the validity of the comment and took no offense. Just to mention that I believe each of our experiences on board are varied and valid, no matter how many voyages we've taken, but as is generally accepted, experience does tend to add perspective.

I mentioned in my post to you that I've only had 10 voyages on QM2 to indicate my level of experience, and in in effort to be reciprocal since I had asked you how many voyages you've taken. The reason why I asked how many voyages you had taken was because I wondered if you found the situation you described had increased in number or decreased from the past.

If you choose to take offense at any of that, it is certainly your perogative to do so, but you have misinterpered my meaning and intent, and proceeded from an incorrect premise to respond in a most non-collegial fashion.

Nothing more do I have to say on this topic.

Salacia

Austcruiser,

I have been reminded nicely several times on this forum that I've only had ten voyages on QM2, and thus lack the perspective of more experienced passengers (which is quite true), most recently when I mentioned that I have never been onboard a ship where there was a noro outbreak. I agreed that my experience is limited, appreciated the validity of the comment and took no offense. Salacia

It is interesting you never encountered any such problem on board as I can only think of two voyages (one QE2 and one QM2) where there was no concern about the norovirus, both times when I boarded in Australia. All the times I have boarded in the USA there have been significant norovirus outbreaks on board.

As a point of clarification, Whitemarsh is head of public relations and communications for the Fashion Police, but I have personal knowledge that he receives instructions from the Omni Potens on a regular basis.

All true, all true....:)

Below is a holiday snap of my pre-boarding ritual where I summon Autoberth and cast an upgrade spell. :D

i-gS2MfkL-M.jpg

All true, all true....:)

Below is a holiday snap of my pre-boarding ritual where I summon Autoberth and cast an upgrade spell. :D

i-gS2MfkL-M.jpg

I do hope that you will not be in the habit of wearing this habit on board QM2. Such attire is so 2012 and has lost its novelty value for me.

I do hope that you will not be in the habit of wearing this habit on board QM2. Such attire is so 2012 and has lost its novelty value for me.

It is so 2012 isn't it. Fear not, I promise not to wear it on board. Other things that are so 2012 is slow service in the Queens Grill lounge for afternoon tea. Nothing to do with the staff mind you :rolleyes:

It is so 2012 isn't it. Fear not, I promise not to wear it on board. Other things that are so 2012 is slow service in the Queens Grill lounge for afternoon tea. Nothing to do with the staff mind you :rolleyes:

I do hope that the patissier on board QM2 has a repertoire that extends to miniature fruit tarts, or else I foresee tears before bedtime.

(Is this another opportunity for a picture of the fruit tarts?).

I do hope that the patissier on board QM2 has a repertoire that extends to miniature fruit tarts, or else I foresee tears before bedtime.

(Is this another opportunity for a picture of the fruit tarts?).

They always have those fruit tarts; there will be no tears. Do they ever change the afternoon tea range of cakes and sandwiches?

And yes, it is an opportunity for the fruit tart picture. :)

Do they ever change the afternoon tea range of cakes and sandwiches?

They do seem to have slightly different sandwich and mini-roll fillings from day to day and also some variation in cakes, but I think that one general range exists and someone is responsible for choosing the particular cakes and sandwiches to be served in QG each day.

Oddly enough there is a printed rota for the cakes that are presented each afternoon in the Queen's Room, so I can only imagine that the same applies to the cakes in QG.

Is this from a menu or list handed out or on display in the Queens Room (or have you come upon this information via clandestine means?).

• 4 weeks later...

Being only 22 myself, and dreaming of my first Cunard voyage..

I'd say an age of 18+.

Don't get me wrong, I love kids, I work with them. But I wouldn't want to be surrounded my young children and/or teenagers all the time when on holiday. Frankly, I don't think teenagers would even enjoy the trip. Nor would most people my age I know! But I'm just dying to get on QM2 myself!

Archived