An Adults Only Cunard Liner, What would you choose?

cruiser101101

A lot of people have been complaining about children and teens running about the ship, while some people tell them to lighten up a little (thats me).

If Cunard or Cruise Critic had to run a poll similar to the following what would you choose?

Would you be in favour of:

A adults only ship.

A minimun age of 13/14

A minimum age of 16/18

Children of all ages should be allowed on board

I would select the last option. Children create a nice atmosphere on board and whats the problem with them?

After all adults were also children once and todays children will be tomorrows suite passengers.

I don't really think that Cunard ships are all that suitable for children or even young adults. On QM2 no-one under the age of 18 (it may even be 21) is allowed in G32 and there were a group of young adults trying to get in there on new years eve, I felt quite sorry for them, although I think they were eventually allowed in.

I must admit that these days when I am on holiday I don't really want lots of children around, or splashing me in the pool!

One other point I feel worth making is that on QM2 there is an adult only pool, but on at least one day there were children in it and my husband didn't feel that he could go into the jacuzzi until a little girl of about 8 years old got out.

I don't really think that Cunard ships are all that suitable for children or even young adults. On QM2 no-one under the age of 18 (it may even be 21) is allowed in G32 and there were a group of young adults trying to get in there on new years eve, I felt quite sorry for them, although I think they were eventually allowed in.

I must admit that these days when I am on holiday I don't really want lots of children around, or splashing me in the pool!

One other point I feel worth making is that on QM2 there is an adult only pool, but on at least one day there were children in it and my husband didn't feel that he could go into the jacuzzi until a little girl of about 8 years old got out.

They were allowed in as their parents demanded (since no teen disco was provided).

Cuanrd, with only 3 large ships, can't afford to designate one as adults only. That would exclude too much of the market. Cunard already occupies are rather unique niche, but it needs to fill its ships with paying passengers.

DH and I have been on the QV once, and this June we will be taking our 16 and 12 year old DD's on the QM2. We're all quite excited about it.

Since I have been sailing on Cunard ships since 1 year old, it might be a bit hypocritical of me to now want to ban children (Which I absolutely do want on SeaDream, Seabourn, etc.). So far, I have never had an issue with kids on Cunard ships. Usually they seem to want to stay in their areas. Ignorant parents that drag their kids to inappropriate venues is another issue altogether and apparently is a growing issue. Cunard need to enforce age restrictions based on the venue and, of course, enforce decorum any where.:D

Since I have been sailing on Cunard ships since 1 year old, it might be a bit hypocritical of me to now want to ban children (Which I absolutely do want on SeaDream, Seabourn, etc.). So far, I have never had an issue with kids on Cunard ships. Usually they seem to want to stay in their areas. Ignorant parents that drag their kids to inappropriate venues is another issue altogether and apparently is a growing issue. Cunard need to enforce age restrictions based on the venue and, of course, enforce decorum any where.:D

Ha! Like that's gonna happen. No cruise line will say "boo" to anyone about anything.

I would not want Cunard to impose a no-kids ban. That deprives many families from offering their kids a special experience. And we have seen well-behaved kids on our Cunard voyages.

Perhaps the Entertainment Director, or whoever is in charge of kids' programs needs to take a better look at the demographic of each cruise and make sure they offer are age-appropriate activities. The lack of a teens New Year's Eve party, mentioned on another thread, is an example of poor planning.

Despite quite liking the dynamic that varying age groups provide, I'd actually say that an age limit of 12 on one ship would not be problem. Loads of Caribbean hotels and others in exotic locations such as the Maldives have restrictions on children. In the UK both Warner holidays and those 3 P & O ships are adult only - occupancy levels are always high. Try getting on Arcadia for the Caribbean or summer trips to the Med!

Cunard would fill an adults only ship, no problem at all, you would be maxed at the demand. As I say, I'd stipulate a min age of 12 - then it is something worth waiting for and to be appreciated. QM2, partic on T/A's would not be an option but converting one of the other two to an age restriction would intensify demand - the summer hol voyages in partic. I'd go on an adult only ship in August but I wouldn't dream of going on an "open" voyage/cruise at that time.

QUOTE]

My vote is to allow all "children" but witnessed an incident on the QM2 on the TA from NYC to Soton on June 17, 2012:

older teens (?) were in G32 until closing one evening, dancing with drinks in their hands and some drinks were spilled on the dance floor. Staff had to be called to clean up the mess.

Wondered why they were allowed in that venue when obviously under-age?

If you're not a fan of kids, just cruise outside the school holidays. Even better, take longer voyages, avoid the quick trips.

We've hardly seen any youngsters over the last two years. On one cruise we heard the brief cry of a baby but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. In fact, on that cruise we hardly saw anyone under 30 who wasn't one of the crew.

Or else, there's always P&O ...................................

Wherever there are children and teenagers, something is bound to happen. But wherever there are adults, something is bound to happen as well. Just read the latest thread about the goings on in the QM2 library or listen to the stories that veterans tell about the QE2 laundry room!

One of the things we enjoyed about our crossings on QM2 was the extraordinary range in age of our fellow passengers, from toddlers to folks in their nineties. To be sure, now that we no longer have little ones in tow, we relish our peace and quiet. But most of the children we encountered were well behaved. Whether they were on a supervised scavenger hunt, or playing board games in the evening, or dressing up on a formal night, they seemed to be having the time of their lives, and we were delighted that their parents or grandparents had the wherewithal to make their adventure on the high seas possible.

A while back, a grandfather wrote that when he told his young grandson that he would be taking him across the ocean on QM2, the boy said, "I'm so excited, I'm already turning upside down in my head!" That's enough, I think, to earn that child his place aboard my ship!

If you're not a fan of kids, just cruise outside the school holidays. Even better, take longer voyages, avoid the quick trips.

We've hardly seen any youngsters over the last two years. On one cruise we heard the brief cry of a baby but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. In fact, on that cruise we hardly saw anyone under 30 who wasn't one of the crew.

Same here. Christmas/New Years was an exception, but by taking cruises around 2 weeks in length (aside from a transatlantic) and avoiding school vacations we've generally seen very few school-age children.

Or else, there's always P&O ...................................

For a teacher, school holiday periods are the only times we can travel.

I think people have the wrong idea: it isn't really the kids that are the problem, but the lack of things for them to do (and their parents' failure to monitor their behaviour).

Our kids LOVE QM2. There is plenty for them to do (sometimes they can even do more than we can). And they love the ship for what it is. And most of the kids we've met LOVE the ship and the chance to be aboard. Maybe the "I'm so bored" kids would be bored by QM2, but I suspect they're the kind of kids people would want to ban anyway.

Frankly, if "we" were going to "ban" some people from QM2, it would certainly not be the kids. As I posted somewhere else, I've rarely seen anything from the kids that was unpleasant. But I've certainly seen adults be unpleasant (tho not enough to ever "ruin" a trip or our affection for QM2).

So, is there a way to ban those who cut in line, complain about nothing at all, think they own the ship and bash their fists on the purser's desk? :D Maybe a "brass" Cunard pin instead of the lovely gold, platinum (still looks like silver to me) and black (I know, DIAMOND ;)).

Seriously, Saga Cruises has "adults only" ships including - tho not for much longer - an ex-Cunard ship. 50+ and no exceptions for spouses under 40. We've never been aboard, but I understand Saga has a similar "feel" to Cunard. Smaller ships. Worth looking at, I would guess.

The QM2 had the perfect holiday trip at 15 days with some children but not a lot, so they blended nicely.

This year they decided to lower it to 12 days. My thought all along was that they were trying to accommodate more families since 15 days plus travel days was too long for school aged children. We ended up with a lot more children and I'm not sure where the advantage comes in for Cunard. Children don't usually bring in a lot of revenue and 3rd and 4th discounted passengers mean more work in cabin.

Possibly Cunard feels that charging us slightly more for 12 days as 15 days is a good thing. :). I actually just don't understand why Cunard made the trade off since the 15 day cruises sailed full capacity.

I have never seen many children on any Cunard cruises. I think that the problem only arises during school holiday time.

Children are going to be on most cruise ships during school holidays. Even on Silverseas there are children during the school holiday cruises.

Therefore, the best thing is not to go on a cruise during school holiday time if you do not want to cruise with lots of children.

Same here. Christmas/New Years was an exception, but by taking cruises around 2 weeks in length (aside from a transatlantic) and avoiding school vacations we've generally seen very few school-age children.

Here comes the yes, but: pre-school children and their parents can and do sail on voyages of different lengths. -School holidays are not a concern for them.

The QM2 had the perfect holiday trip at 15 days with some children but not a lot, so they blended nicely.

This year they decided to lower it to 12 days. My thought all along was that they were trying to accommodate more families since 15 days plus travel days was too long for school aged children. We ended up with a lot more children and I'm not sure where the advantage comes in for Cunard. Children don't usually bring in a lot of revenue and 3rd and 4th discounted passengers mean more work in cabin.

Possibly Cunard feels that charging us slightly more for 12 days as 15 days is a good thing. :). I actually just don't understand why Cunard made the trade off since the 15 day cruises sailed full capacity.

Brigettom, that's at an interesting point, and I agree that the 15 day cruise was well-blended across all ages.

BTW, I hope you enjoyed your cruise and arrived home safely and healthy?

After all adults were also children once and todays children will be tomorrows suite passengers.

Crikey, I was saving up to buy a row boat for my grand-niece's 16th birthday. She'll have to row a lot harder to be a suite passenger. (oh and she asked for back stage tickets to a Jusin Beiber concert...guess how much that costs???!!!)

Any poor behaviour I've seen on Cunard didn't involve kids.

I've been troubled by some of the things I have seen on board that passengers under the age of 18 were doing, unsupervised. Clearly, if I saw anyone in eminent danger, I would have alerted a crew member. But in some circumstances, it is not easy to know if there is an eminent danger.

My sincere hope is that parents/guardians accept the responsibilty for those under their care, and that Security on board is able to pick up the slack from those that don't look after those under-age passengers in their care.

It is the parents/guardians who are responsible for under-age passengers in their voyage booking. Anyone who unwilling or unable to accept that responsiblity has no right bringing an under-age passenger unboard, as defined in the passenger contract.

Edited to add: As I have stated many times previously, I believe security on QM2 is top notch. But parents/guardians are most important and most responsible for those in their care.

Any poor behaviour I've seen on Cunard didn't involve kids.

Same here - plenty of bad behaviour by adults, but I would really have to say that She Who Must be Obeyed and I have always been extremely impressed by the behaviour of children on all the cruises we have done.

J

Might I respectfully suggest that unruly children are unruly for a reason... They either do not know any better which is down to their parents

Or

They know better but do not care and that again is down to their parents.

I am guessing that for every unruly child there may well be an unruly adult??

Archived