An Adults Only Cunard Liner, What would you choose?

cruiser101101

Might I respectfully suggest that unruly children are unruly for a reason... They either do not know any better which is down to their parents

Or

They know better but do not care and that again is down to their parents.

I am guessing that for every unruly child there may well be an unruly adult??

I'll buy that. Fair comment.

My pedigree is - 3 children, 7 grandchildren. We always have one week a year when all 15 of us holiday together, but as we had an very unpleasant Princess cruise when over 200 children were on board (free kids places) my vote - ADULT CRUISES ONLY please would appeal to me...........

Here comes the yes, but: pre-school children and their parents can and do sail on voyages of different lengths. -School holidays are not a concern for them.
There are usually a few but at that age they're fun to watch rather than bothersome.

A lot of people have been complaining about children and teens running about the ship, while some people tell them to lighten up a little (thats me).

If Cunard or Cruise Critic had to run a poll similar to the following what would you choose?

Children of all ages should be allowed on board

I would select the last option. Children create a nice atmosphere on board and whats the problem with them?

After all adults were also children once and todays children will be tomorrows suite passengers.

Exactly. There are few kids on board usually anyway, and I like children (only idiots dont). Especially smaller kids are also fun to watch so adding to a positive atmosphere. I would hate a Cunarder that is a pure pensioners home.

Bad mannered or badly behaved children are not made that way, it is clearly the fault of the parents who allow or fail to discourage such behaviour. The better plan might be to have a moron free ship but that may be asking too much. I have seldom seen children on board behave other than totally correctly and I feel that it would be a terrible injustice to deny them such an enriching and exciting experience.

I have sailed several times on QM2, three time on QV and twice on QE and never had reason to complain about unruly children, indeed on most of them it has been spot the child. Cunard, imo, is not geared up for children or young adults(below20). I have also cruised on adult only ships P & O and FO and it would be difficult to tell the difference and certainly on the longer cruises, as we all know, the average age increases. Now, if this question was raised on say Carnival forums, that would certainly open up a debate as the ships tend to cater for the family holiday makers.

Some of you may remember my previous posting about the younger set, so you might be surprised that I would be in favor of a 12-and-up policy. I find that the presence of families with older children makes for a more interesting and diverse mix. However, I would also be very interested in an adults-only cruise if such an option were available. (Is it just me, or is there something a tad sleazy about the phrase "adults-only cruise?" :))

If you're not a fan of kids, just cruise outside the school holidays. Even better, take longer voyages, avoid the quick trips.

We've hardly seen any youngsters over the last two years. On one cruise we heard the brief cry of a baby but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. In fact, on that cruise we hardly saw anyone under 30 who wasn't one of the crew.

Or else, there's always P&O ...................................

Unfortunately, I still count myself among the working class, so I go on holiday whenever my boss thinks the world might possibly continue spinning if I'm away from the office for two weeks (which is not very often). I'm thrilled that we've been able to make the timing work for our May 25 crossing, although I do realize that it puts us on the cusp of school holidays. Sigh...just three more years until retirement!

Some of you may remember my previous posting about the younger set, so you might be surprised that I would be in favor of a 12-and-up policy.

The actual trouble I saw was caused by the 12-17 group rather than the very little ones.

Cunard doesn't cater for teenagers at all. They are not interested in scavenger hunts or face painting.

That was the major problem on the recent Christmas/TA voyages.

If I was a parent with teenagers I wouldn't take them or go at all. It just baffles me that knowing how many teens there would be on board, Cunard didn't organise things for them.

The actual trouble I saw was caused by the 12-17 group rather than the very little ones.

Cunard doesn't cater for teenagers at all. They are not interested in scavenger hunts or face painting.

That was the major problem on the recent Christmas/TA voyages.

If I was a parent with teenagers I wouldn't take them or go at all. It just baffles me that knowing how many teens there would be on board, Cunard didn't organise things for them.

Well, we haven't been onboard yet with our kids so we can't offer any first hand reports. But this blog makes the teen program sound quite fantastic: http://wearecunard.com/2010/06/how-queen-mary-2-welcomes-her-young-guests/

I plan to report back after our June 1 TA and tell you all how our DD's liked it. :)

In four "shortish" Cunard cruises (all less than 14 days), I can't say that I have seen many children of any age ( well -- maybe some older ones between the age of 60-85!!). But then again, I don't go looking for them.

I understand that on the recent RCCL Voyager of the Seas Christmas cruise, there were 900 of the little blighters!!! ---AND you get to pay a lot more for the cruise as well. I knew there was a reason why I don't go cruising at that time of year. :D

Barry

Bad mannered or badly behaved children are not made that way, it is clearly the fault of the parents who allow or fail to discourage such behaviour. The better plan might be to have a moron free ship but that may be asking too much. I have seldom seen children on board behave other than totally correctly and I feel that it would be a terrible injustice to deny them such an enriching and exciting experience.

Excellent post! Capn: you impress me with your wisdom and wit and I so enjoy reading what you write on this forum.

Thank you.

seasidegal

I'm probably more sensitive than most to poorly behaved children. They were always those creatures that demanded, whined, interrupted and the parents just looked on. Getting stuck in a checkout line with one or more was one of my worst nightmares. When we got married I insisted on no kids invited. Then I met a few who were a pleasure to be around because their parents didn't put up with any of the above. So it came to be that at 38 I finally risked it and we had our first. It's been great and I don't think they've ever been a bother to anyone. We get lots of compliments. My wife remarks 'why is the minimum behaviour we would tolerate considered exceptional?'

When my son was 10 we had a gift certificate for a restaurant that had been in the news when someone complained they weren't child friendly. The manager said it was adult oriented and the clientele didn't like kids because they were disruptive. We went there with the kids anyway and afterwards I asked my son if he liked it. He said he thought it was too loud. And yeah there was loud music and people in varying degrees of drunk trying to out shout eachother to be heard. I had to chuckle. Some guy shouting who would be upset if a baby cried?

I think the few kids I've seen on Cunard have been well behaved and belong there. Maybe if there were more they would reach a critical mass to cause some issues. But at this point they are a net benefit on the ship. And isn't it a great experience for them?

I'm probably more sensitive than most to poorly behaved children. They were always those creatures that demanded, whined, interrupted and the parents just looked on. Getting stuck in a checkout line with one or more was one of my worst nightmares. When we got married I insisted on no kids invited. Then I met a few who were a pleasure to be around because their parents didn't put up with any of the above. So it came to be that at 38 I finally risked it and we had our first. It's been great and I don't think they've ever been a bother to anyone. We get lots of compliments. My wife remarks 'why is the minimum behaviour we would tolerate considered exceptional?'

When my son was 10 we had a gift certificate for a restaurant that had been in the news when someone complained they weren't child friendly. The manager said it was adult oriented and the clientele didn't like kids because they were disruptive. We went there with the kids anyway and afterwards I asked my son if he liked it. He said he thought it was too loud. And yeah there was loud music and people in varying degrees of drunk trying to out shout eachother to be heard. I had to chuckle. Some guy shouting who would be upset if a baby cried?

I think the few kids I've seen on Cunard have been well behaved and belong there. Maybe if there were more they would reach a critical mass to cause some issues. But at this point they are a net benefit on the ship. And isn't it a great experience for them?

Sorry Ryan - the teens were bored senseless. If it is a great experience for them, they didn't realise it.

Sorry Ryan - the teens were bored senseless. If it is a great experience for them, they didn't realise it.

Austcruiser84, I have no doubt that you saw bored teens. But I don't think you can conclude from that observation that all teens will be bored and therefore none should go on Cunard. Perhaps the "engaged" teens were off doing something interesting (as described in the blog that I linked in my previous post #34) and therefore you never saw those teens.

Austcruiser84, I have no doubt that you saw bored teens. But I don't think you can conclude from that observation that all teens will be bored and therefore none should go on Cunard. Perhaps the "engaged" teens were off doing something interesting (as described in the blog that I linked in my previous post #34) and therefore you never saw those teens.

Quite a few parents complained about the lack of teen orientated activities. And groups of 10 hanging out on stairwells says boredom to me.

partial quote

...Perhaps the "engaged" teens were off doing something interesting (as described in the blog that I linked in my previous post #34) and therefore you never saw those teens.

I like to swim so I'm often at the Pavilion Pool on QM2 at various times of the day. During the 10 voyages I've taken on QM2, I've often seen teens there playing ping pong and some other game (don't know the name) and swimming, or socializing while drinking 'mock coctails'. While I'm not certain it was part of an organized teen program, I am certain they didn't look bored:).

However, I have noticed a few teens after 11pm that did not seem to be engaged in what my mother would call a "worthwhile activity" ;) but no ship can be responsible for keeping activities for teens going 24/7. Not all teens will be interested in the ship's programs anyway, so they do their own thing without adult supervision - even if that results in them appearing bored, or worse - getting into mischief. There's only so much any cruise line can do - but mostly, the behaviour of underage passengers is the responsibility of the parents/guardians, and which most are very good at 24/7 365 days a year for decades! :)

Perhaps their parents should have made enquiries as to what activities would be provided for teens before taking them on this particular ship.

Actually, the Cunard website is woefully lacking in specifics. And I have combed this forum for answers for the last two years without any luck. Our TA will just repeat the generalizations on the website. The best info I've been able to find is the blog I linked to in one of my previous posts. The blog includes photos and the most specific descriptions I've found. And it makes the teen program sound pretty good. But you know the old saying: you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Not every teen will take advantage of the activities that are offered.

Quite a few parents complained about the lack of teen orientated activities. And groups of 10 hanging out on stairwells says boredom to me.

Austcruiser, how many times have you been a passenger on QM2, if you don't mind my asking? Thanks, Salacia

Edited to add: I've only been a passenger on 10 QM2 voyages since 2008. (Counting one back-to-back cruise as 2 voyages)

Salacia, Thank you for asking. We had an amazing trip and met some fantastic new friends....the only downside being that you know that others didn't fare so well. We were lucky and grateful for the diligence of the staff.

Hi brigittetom. Yes, I understand, but I'm very happy to hear that you and your husband had an enjoyable voyage. After getting sick on the Holiday QM2 voyage last year, we decided to stay home this year for that and other reasons- and guess what? - I came down with a gastrointestinal illness (noro?) on the eve of Christmas Eve! :eek: Life really is a crap shoot:)< gambling term ;)

Best wishes for the new year - Cheers, -s.

Hi Salacia, Yes, I've seen that you were struck down also but better at home than at sea I would think. Obviously better not at all. A crap shoot it is. I took the Captains instructions very seriously and took EmergenC twice a day. Don't know if it helped but it didn't hurt. :)

junglejane, I think that with Cunard it's hit and miss depending on the amount of teens on board. I can understand that they don't have an ongoing advertised teen program because, unlike lines like RCC, they just don't have a regular teen base. I've seen small groups of teens on every trip roaming around the ship. Some look like they've made new friends and are enjoying themselves while others seem bored and look like they are just waiting for an opportunity to make something happen.

Since you are sailing in June, your daughters have a good chance of finding friends regardless of the teen program. If nothing else....a lame program gives them the opportunity to meet friends. :)

Hi Salacia, Yes, I've seen that you were struck down also but better at home than at sea I would think. Obviously better not at all. A crap shoot it is. I took the Captains instructions very seriously and took EmergenC twice a day. Don't know if it helped but it didn't hurt. :)

junglejane, I think that with Cunard it's hit and miss depending on the amount of teens on board. I can understand that they don't have an ongoing advertised teen program because, unlike lines like RCC, they just don't have a regular teen base. I've seen small groups of teens on every trip roaming around the ship. Some look like they've made new friends and are enjoying themselves while others seem bored and look like they are just waiting for an opportunity to make something happen.

Since you are sailing in June, your daughters have a good chance of finding friends regardless of the teen program. If nothing else....a lame program gives them the opportunity to meet friends. :)

Very droll but very apt as well lol :)

Austcruiser, how many times have you been a passenger on QM2, if you don't mind my asking? Thanks, Salacia

Edited to add: I've only been a passenger on 10 QM2 voyages since 2008. (Counting one back-to-back cruise as 2 voyages)

I don't understand why you are asking this question. You are one of the most prolific posters on the Cunard board and (for that reason) I do not believe that you do not know (as I do) that Austcruiser has just completed his first QM2 voyage.

If it is your intention to imply that Austcruiser's opinion isn't valid (because, he's only done one voyage) than you should simply be upfront and say so.

Archived