Anchorage - anything to do there for 1 day?

trident777

We are cruising on the Sapphire Princess end of May leaving out of Whittier and will be arriving Thursday late night for a Saturday eve cruise departure which means we have the whole of Friday in Anchorage :)

What can we do to make the best use of our 1 day vacation time in Anchorage? I researched a bit and found that Anchorage itself is a bit boring. Is it worth renting a car and driving up to Talkeetna to get a sight of Mt. McKinley?

Seeing the mountain is such a crapshoot. I wouldn't drive all that way for such a slight chance.

You didn't indicate your interests or physical abilities so it's kinda hard to know what to suggest ......

But since you're willing to rent a car, consider a drive along the Turnagain Arm. It's only about 45 miles each way to Whittier but lots of sightseeing opportunities ... gold panning, the tram at Alyeska resort, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (bear, caribou, moose), hiking. Other stops are in this link. http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

Or continue on to Seward and spend Friday night there. It's about 2 1/2 hrs each way. Then return the car to Anchorage Sat afternoon and catch the 3pm train to Whittier.

Or take a glacier cruise of Prince William Sound from Whittier. The train schedule coincides with the cruise departures, or, you can drive there.

You might be too early in the season for a glacier trek but you could drive to Matanuska Glacier for an overnight trip. It's only 2 hrs from Anchorage.

http://alaska.org/driving/matanuska-glacier-drive.htm

Lots of options.

We are cruising on the Sapphire Princess end of May leaving out of Whittier and will be arriving Thursday late night for a Saturday eve cruise departure which means we have the whole of Friday in Anchorage :)

What can we do to make the best use of our 1 day vacation time in Anchorage? I researched a bit and found that Anchorage itself is a bit boring. Is it worth renting a car and driving up to Talkeetna to get a sight of Mt. McKinley?

Boring compared to what? As someone who was born and raised in Southern California and went to college at a large public institution in Los Angeles, I welcome the peace and quiet of this place.

You don't have to drive to Talkeetna to get a view of Denali/McKinley - you can see it (weather permitting) from many locations around the city. I always recommend the view from the top of the Hilton hotel.

As for things to do, you can see calving glaciers from a boat trip into Prince William Sound from Whittier, eat fresh Alaska salmon at many of our local restaurants, explore the history and native cultures of our state at the Alaska Native Heritage Center, take a drive down the scenic Turnagain Arm, visit our endless t-shirt shops, have a reindeer sausage hot dog, or take a Segway tour through downtown Anchorage. There's lots to do here.

For more information, consult the Visitor Center website at http://www.anchorage.net ;)

I'm guessing you've been researching in all the wrong places.

If you only have the one day, I'd stay in Anchorage. You can visit the cultural center as well as the museum. If you want to rent a car, maybe drive out to Wasilla, see the Iditarod museum. I'd probably spend the time relaxing and getting ready for the cruise.

Plenty to do in Anchorage for one day. [sorry to all of the Anchorage residents--after one day I was ready branch out]

We we walked along Ship Creek, Went to the park along the Cook Inlet [parked right beside it--so would be ok for those with mobility issues]. This where the Oscar Anderson House is. Was built in 1915. This is the view from there:

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/...s/P9100032.jpg

The Tony Knowles Trail follows the water and goes all the way from the airport to downtown.

This is a view of Anchorage from Earthquake Park.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/...heSeas/1-3.jpg

There is not really much to see at the park today. But, this sign shows what happened. On Good Friday 1964, a chunk of the Turnagain Arm sank into the Cook inlet. 128 people died. many of them that were standing on the shoreline.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/...heSeas/2-4.jpg

The Visitor's Center is downtown on 4th Ave. They were very helpful.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/...heSeas/4-4.jpg

You can get trolley tours from the visitor center that visit all of these areas.

Glad you asked this question. We will be only have an afternoon to spend in Anchorage (after our flight I'm sure we'll be sleeping in that morning). It would be nice to have a plan instead of walking the streets aimlessly.

Thanks to those who actually gave suggestions!

Glad you asked this question. We will be only have an afternoon to spend in Anchorage (after our flight I'm sure we'll be sleeping in that morning). It would be nice to have a plan instead of walking the streets aimlessly.

You do realize that Anchorage covers over 1700 square miles. There is much, much more to it then the small downtown area. If I was in your shoes I'd rent a car, get up early and explore it. I wouldn't waste my time in the downtown area.

You might be surprised by how early you get up. If I read your name correctly--you are from the east coast.

AK is 4 hours behind. So when your body thinks it is sleepeing in until 11am MD time [even if it was a very late flight ] it is only 7am AK time. We found we soared with the eagles in the morning--but, did not do much "hooting with the owls" at night while in AK.:p:eek:;)

You might be surprised by how early you get up. If I read your name correctly--you are from the east coast.

AK is 4 hours behind. So when your body thinks it is sleepeing in until 11am MD time [even if it was a very late flight ] it is only 7am AK time. We found we soared with the eagles in the morning--but, did not do much "hooting with the owls" at night while in AK.:p:eek:;)

Yes, it will be interesting! Thanks for pointing that out. Our plane arrives at 12:30 in the morning. That will be 4:30 in the morning for us. I am curious to see by the time we get checked into the hotel and settled in, what time we wind up waking up.

I just found this website (we are also trying to decide what to do on our one day in Anchorage after a long flight and early morning arrival).

http://alaska.org/anchorage/anchorage-attractions.jsp

If I really only had one day to spend in Anchorage I would start my day at the Anchorage log cabin visitors center on 4th Avenue and get a map of town. Then I would head to the Anchorage Museum (anchoragemuseum.org). Here you can purchase the "Cultural Pass", which is discounted tickets to the Museum AND the Alaska Native Heritage Center. The pass includes a free shuttle bus that connects the two places, with a stop at the AK Ulu Factory. At the Museum check out all the cool exhibits from local history, to glaciation, to art to a northern lights planetarium show. At the Native Heritage Center (alaskanative.net) learn about all the different types of indigenous people of Alaska, see carvers at work and live dance shows. If time permits, when you return from the Center head to the "Crow's Nest" lounge on the top floor of the Hotel Captain Cook for a snack or dinner and check out the awesome view from the 15th floor of one of the tallest buildings downtown.

If I really only had one day to spend in Anchorage I would start my day at the Anchorage log cabin visitors center on 4th Avenue and get a map of town. Then I would head to the Anchorage Museum (anchoragemuseum.org). Here you can purchase the "Cultural Pass", which is discounted tickets to the Museum AND the Alaska Native Heritage Center. The pass includes a free shuttle bus that connects the two places, with a stop at the AK Ulu Factory. At the Museum check out all the cool exhibits from local history, to glaciation, to art to a northern lights planetarium show. At the Native Heritage Center (alaskanative.net) learn about all the different types of indigenous people of Alaska, see carvers at work and live dance shows. If time permits, when you return from the Center head to the "Crow's Nest" lounge on the top floor of the Hotel Captain Cook for a snack or dinner and check out the awesome view from the 15th floor of one of the tallest buildings downtown.

That sounds great, thanks for posting this advice! Especially since we are staying at the Hotel Captain Cook, so that's a great way to end the day. Thank you!

Chenega posted the link for the Anchorage web site. In that site you can order a FREE VISITOR GUIDE (or just view it on line). http://www.anchorage.net/guide-order

Most towns have a web site, and they use it to promote tourism and local businesses. So google any towns name with 'visitor Information' to find that site. Many will send you a free visitor guide. ie www.seward.com

or for the Kenai Peninsula and all towns within: http://kenaipeninsula.org/destinations

• 2 months later...

We will also be there one day - a Saturday in July. I have heard that the outdoor downtown market is a neat place on Saturday. How large is it and how long should we allot to wander through? We're not major shoppers but might like to pick up some native items, like the fireweed honey and salmon jerkey I keep hearing about.

We are also debating which tour to see some of the sights and hear the history of the area. We've heard good things about the trolley and the Segway tour. Any recommendations on those or others?

Perfect advice. Snow City Cafe is a great lunch place. There is plenty do in Anchorage, deer sausage vendors etc!!!!!

The museum and Heritage center are well worth going to.

• 2 weeks later...

If I had a day in Alaska, I would rent a car and head up to Chugach National Park for some hiking. Or maybe head down to hike around Portage Glacier. Walking along the coastal trail is very nice. You can rent bicycles and bike around a bunch of places. We have miles and miles of bike paths here! I have seen many moose while biking. Going down by Eagle River (the actual river) is one of my son's favorite places. If it's not during rush hour on the Glenn, I like the drive north around the mountains. Depending on the day, you could see a movie at Bear Tooth (my favorite!).

If you had a car and didn't mind a bit of a drive Flattop Mountain. Even if you don't climb to the top of the mountain the views from the parking lot are gorgeous on a clear day!

The Botanical Garden was also nice in my opinion.

The Weekend market isn't large, but it's very interesting to walk around.

We also enjoyed the Museum in downtown Anchorage - great exhibits on Alaska cultures over time.

There are gorgeous views from Earthquake Park. When we were there two summers ago we saw a moose at Kincaid Park which also had some nice walking trails.

I think there is plenty to do in Anchorage to keep you occupied for the day!

We will also be there one day - a Saturday in July. I have heard that the outdoor downtown market is a neat place on Saturday. How large is it and how long should we allot to wander through? We're not major shoppers but might like to pick up some native items, like the fireweed honey and salmon jerkey I keep hearing about.

We are also debating which tour to see some of the sights and hear the history of the area. We've heard good things about the trolley and the Segway tour. Any recommendations on those or others?

If I was in Anchorage for just one day, I am not sure if the outdoor market would be my first choice. That said, it is a great market where you can easily spend a couple of hours. They have food, souvenirs, cutlery, etc. Many of the people there will be locals which is a good thing. They also have music - when we were there they had the worse Elvis impersonator in the civilized world. He was so bad that he was good.

DON

• 2 weeks later...

Someone mentioned on another thread and I think we will wind up doing this--renting bicycles (which luckily is near our hotel) and riding along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. For us, this is a great option since we will be arriving in the wee hours of the morning, will likely sleep late, and doesn't involve renting a car or having to drive anywhere.

Archived