Just off a Baltic cruise on Century, what do you need to know?

Bollinge

We will also be in Tallinn on a Sunday. I know you said at midday, but where exactly did you see the people dancing, playing music etc.?

Might be useful to know in case we decide to head in that direction ourselves.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
We saw the 30 Kr sign too. Did they have an English narration? The 50 Kr boat did.

Sorry to be so late in responding. Yes the 30 kroner ride had English narration as well as at least 2 other languages and was a regular canal tour boat, not a hop-on, hop-off waterbus.

We were docked in the commercial port in St. Petersburg (the Mafia port) and had no trouble using the port bus which runs every 10 minutes during the day and I think every 20 at nite. It is free and it takes you from the bus stop which is near where the ships dock (and near one of the passport buildings) to the port gate and you go thru customs again and then walk out. Some people were meeting their private guides outside the gate after they took the free port bus which was yellow. When you come back to the port you go thru passport control at the gate and then there is a bus shelter just inside the gate where you wait for the free bus.

I think you are talking about the Ice Bar in Stockholm. I think you mean it opens at 3PM. It depends on how badly you want to go there and how close you are willing to cut it. If you get a reservation for 3 (and arrive a little early)you will get right in and the longest you can stay is 45 mnutes but you could stay just 30 minutes and then get a taaxi back to the ship. Just be sure the driver knows exacatly where your ship is docked. We were out at the commercial port and it costs $20 to return to the ship. If you are closer to town it would be alot easier.Also, I am not clear if you have to be back at 4:30 or the ship actually sails at 4:30.

Bollinge - I have another question for you if your still checking in. I am trying to find the port on my map and am having no luck. Can you give me a better indication of what its by so I can find it? Thanks!

SaylorGirl: Which port, where?

SaylorGirl: Which port, where?

Sorry, St. Petersburg but I have located it so now I know where we will be going when we get back to the ship. You mentioned the Seaman's club is just outside the port gates? We are thinking of stopping there on our way back to the ship it sounds interesting.

We were docked in the commercial port in St. Petersburg (the Mafia port) and had no trouble using the port bus which runs every 10 minutes during the day and I think every 20 at nite. It is free and it takes you from the bus stop which is near where the ships dock (and near one of the passport buildings) to the port gate and you go thru customs again and then walk out. Some people were meeting their private guides outside the gate after they took the free port bus which was yellow. When you come back to the port you go thru passport control at the gate and then there is a bus shelter just inside the gate where you wait for the free bus.

Well, fair play to you to work that out. As I said originally, we noticed the bus stops with people waiting at them just a couple of hundred yards from the ship, and the yellow buses shuttling back and forth, but we did not realise they ran at the frequency you have suggested.

I guess we've been ripped off again. But my conversation re. Capitalism and the Mafia, and the taxi driver's response - "But I think somewhere there is one man who don't pay!" is priceless!

SaylorGirl, ask any crew member for directions to the Seaman's Club: It is just outside the port gates, but a then few hundred yards walk. Best to get the Seaman's Club shuttle from the ship. They charge about $5 each. From there there are impromptu taxis to take you wherever.

The Hotel Annushka -formerly "Seamen Hotel" - not the club- (with the ATM) is http://www.allrussiahotels.com/cis/hotels.nsf/HotelSpecial?OpenForm&ParentUNID=81D1ACFD96C3DAC0C3256EB000464CFA

I guess we've been ripped off again. But my conversation re. Capitalism and the Mafia, and the taxi driver's response - "But I think somewhere there is one man who don't pay!" is priceless!

SaylorGirl, ask any crew member for directions to the Seaman's Club: It is just outside the port gates, but a then few hundred yards walk. Best to get the Seaman's Club shuttle from the ship. They charge about $5 each. From there there are impromptu taxis to take you wherever.

The Hotel Annushka -formerly "Seamen Hotel" - not the club- (with the ATM) is http://www.allrussiahotels.com/cis/hotels.nsf/HotelSpecial?OpenForm&ParentUNID=81D1ACFD96C3DAC0C3256EB000464CFA

I have to agree I think that quote is "priceless". Thanks for the heads up on the ATM I think we will need to hit that first!

Since some may be thinking of tryng the yellow port bus I decided I best get the schedule. I was off by some minutes and possibly in some situations it could be better not to wait but take the taxi. Of course in Russia it is subject to change. We had no problem finding it when we wanted it. This is current.

From 7am till 2pm the bus runs every 15 minutes.

From 2pm till 3 pm – break

From 3pm till 8pm – every 15 minutes

8pm -9pm – break

From 9pm – runs every 30 minutes

Hope this is helpful.

Since some may be thinking of tryng the yellow port bus I decided I best get the schedule. I was off by some minutes and possibly in some situations it could be better not to wait but take the taxi. Of course in Russia it is subject to change. We had no problem finding it when we wanted it. This is current.

From 7am till 2pm the bus runs every 15 minutes.

From 2pm till 3 pm – break

From 3pm till 8pm – every 15 minutes

8pm -9pm – break

From 9pm – runs every 30 minutes

Hope this is helpful.

Cadreamer - Very helpful! Thanks.

Please note, that once outside the port gates there is very little to be seen in the immediate vicinity, and it's a bit desolate. What docks aren't? OK - St. Maarten then!

There is a tram line that runs near the Hotel Annushka (Seamen Hotel) - which is about three or four hundred yards from the dock gates - and then presumably into town or to a metro. Best to ask at the hotel reception. The ATM is in the lobby.

http://www.wguides.com/city/258/33_273333.cfm

• 10 months later...

Hi Folks....

resurrecting an old thread ! :D

Is it worth the cost to head to Palanga for two hours?

Is there anything there besides the Amber Museum?

How long is the drive from Klaipeda to Palanga?

I found a company that will do a private tour....

Klaipeda 3 hrs

or

Klaipeda - Palanga 5 hrs.

Please advise.

Thank you !!!