How to cruise like a king or queen

ladylemondrop

I have other friends who cruise frequently (2-4 times a year) but still work full time and we often cannot coordinate traveling together. A few years back they started sending flowers to our cabin on the day of departure, knowing that we always have fresh flowers delivered to our house every Friday. We started reciprocating . . .not with flowers but with chocolates since that is what they indulge in on weekends. On cruises longer then 10 days I tend to refresh the flowers midway through at a florist at a local port and I also bring a couple of family photos in small silver frames---making the cabin more personal. Finally bright lights overhead are fine for packing but not relaxing so being handy electrically I have been known to change bulbs in overhead lighting in our cabin if I find it too bright or commercial (changing it back before departing).

We also tend to bring our own wash and wear satin robes to lounge in as the ship provided terrycloth ones can be too warm to wear on the veranda if we sleep in and have breakfast on the veranda. I also have two great mini speakers that attach to my iPad and so we always have the music of our choice playing in the cabin during breakfast (classical) and when dressing for dinner (Jazz).

Wow. Suddenly my spotty pyjamas and fluffy slippers not seeming quite so exciting! Satin robes - now thats proper posh!!! :D

We used to fly in the same day as the cruise and the wife could not handle the stress.

Now that we are retired we follow this check list.

1. If the cruise is 2 weeks or less we do a Park, Sleep and Fly to start the trip. It De-stresses the DW.

2. We arrive at the port at least a day early. We are sailing out of N'Oleans on RCI in April and will arrive 3 days early. Doing a 35 Trans-Pacific on X in October and arriving 8 days early in Hawaii.

3. When sailing X we now choose Aqua class. It just feels good to dine in Blu and wander into the spa.

4. Always per pay for gratuities, the DW is always calculating how much she needs to pay at the end of the cruise above what she hands out in cash. Solves the problem.

5. Try to get a ship board credit, the wife then feels it is her duty to spend it as "responsibly" as possible.

6. As already noted get to know the crew. Spend time and show interest & respect to the staff. They have as interesting a life or even more so then most of the passengers you will meet.

7. Don't sweat the small stuff it will ruin your trip. If you miss out on something it is an excuse to do the cruise again!

Two of my fondest cruise memories are sitting on the balcony looking out at a port I had looked forward to visiting.

One my DW's hips were hurting and she was not able to walk that day. She was despondent but we spent the day relaxing on the balcony watching all the port action.

The other was when I cruised with my 86yr old mother and she keep apologizing I was missing the port. Few thing will top spending the day on the balcony with her talking and having tea. She had immigrated 80 years ago and came across in steerage on a freighter. She actually commented that she felt like the Queen.

8. We try to stay in the port for a day or even a week if exotic after the cruise. No need to rush off the ship.

Why end your travels in rush?

Wow. Suddenly my spotty pyjamas and fluffy slippers not seeming quite so exciting! Satin robes - now thats proper posh!!! :D

Got mine as a Christmas gift 3 years ago, never think to wear it at home but so easy to pack---takes very little room

Just love all these ideas. My sister and I ALWAYS start our vacations, whether cruise, air or amtrak, with an overnight at our favorite W. Palm Beach hotel and go on from there. No stressing about last minut things to throw into the suitcase, or getting out of the house on time and picking Marianne up on time for a plane!

We have previously taken along an inflatable foot bath and have really enjoyed a relaxing foot soak, on sea days, on the balcony. I sometimes follow up with a do-it-yourself pedicure; the balcony certainly has a better view than any spa I've been too on land! For our latest cruise, we upgraded to a 4 foot inflatable kiddies pool; note that it was not 4 feet in diameter, but four feet could fit into it! :p It was just the thing to beat the heat on our Southern Caribbean cruise and it now packed away ready for our next one. Great ideas everyone for all our inner Kings and Queens!

PS. the foot soak is even more relaxiing when done in combination with with canapes, Shrimp cocktails and a drink of choice. Our drink favourites include: do-it-yourself Coke floats & 'Iced' Starbucks cappuccinos (Starbucks Double Shot Expresso & Cream in cans) mixed with ice cream or Caipirinhas. Happy planning everyone.

We used to fly in the same day as the cruise and the wife could not handle the stress.

1. If the cruise is 2 weeks or less we do a Park, Sleep and Fly to start the trip. It De-stresses the DW.

2. We arrive at the port at least a day early. We are sailing out of N'Oleans on RCI in April and will arrive 3 days early. Doing a 35 Trans-Pacific on X in October and arriving 8 days early in Hawaii.

3. When sailing X we now choose Aqua class. It just feels good to dine in Blu and wander into the spa.

4. Always per pay for gratuities, the DW is always calculating how much she needs to pay at the end of the cruise above what she hands out in cash. Solves the problem.

5. Try to get a ship board credit, the wife then feels it is her duty to spend it as "responsibly" as possible.

6. As already noted get to know the crew. Spend time and show interest & respect to the staff. They have as interesting a life or even more so then most of the passengers you will meet.

7. Don't sweat the small stuff it will ruin your trip. If you miss out on something it is an excuse to do the cruise again!

Two of my fondest cruise memories are sitting on the balcony looking out at a port I had looked forward to visiting.

One my DW's hips were hurting and she was not able to walk that day. She was despondent but we spent the day relaxing on the balcony watching all the port action.

The other was when I cruised with my 86yr old mother and she keep apologizing I was missing the port. Few thing will top spending the day on the balcony with her talking and having tea. She had immigrated 80 years ago and came across in steerage on a freighter. She actually commented that she felt like the Queen.

8. We try to stay in the port for a day or even a week if exotic after the cruise. No need to rush off the ship.

That last story about your mom in #7 brought tears to my eyes. My father recently lost his wife, and as he is fairly young but unwell physically, I moved back to help him out. I'm taking him on his first cruise. I will miss the zipline in Honduras, but I missed it last time on the Legend, for some reason I don't even remember. I hope I get to make a moment like yours - something I'll never forget.

You sound like a wonderful man, by the way <3

Is one allowed to bring one's own bottle of champagne (or wine) aboard on Celebrity? I just booked a cruise and the travel agent thought they did not permit it on this line.

2 bottles of wine per stateroom are permitted.

From our POV... book a balcony or higher, and get the Ultimate Specialty Dining package and the Premium Alcohol package :) Can't wait! Oh, and we also order the seasonal flower arrangement from Bon Voyage.

Can't quite afford that, but I can bring a box of chocolates and a champagne split to make me feel special and order room service. Breakfast in bed is a super treat.

We have previously taken along an inflatable foot bath and have really enjoyed a relaxing foot soak, on sea days, on the balcony. I sometimes follow up with a do-it-yourself pedicure; the balcony certainly has a better view than any spa I've been too on land! For our latest cruise, we upgraded to a 4 foot inflatable kiddies pool; note that it was not 4 feet in diameter, but four feet could fit into it! :p It was just the thing to beat the heat on our Southern Caribbean cruise and it now packed away ready for our next one. Great ideas everyone for all our inner Kings and Queens!

PS. the foot soak is even more relaxiing when done in combination with with canapes, Shrimp cocktails and a drink of choice. Our drink favourites include: do-it-yourself Coke floats & 'Iced' Starbucks cappuccinos (Starbucks Double Shot Expresso & Cream in cans) mixed with ice cream or Caipirinhas. Happy planning everyone.

This made me laugh out loud!! Brilliant, i love it!! Exactly what i had in mind for this post.:):D;)

Can't quite afford that, but I can bring a box of chocolates and a champagne split to make me feel special and order room service. Breakfast in bed is a super treat.

Exactly, i think susie missed the general idea of diy luxury, lol!! But, she is happy bunny so i am happy for her! :D

Our cruises are usually 6 months to a year out, which gives me time to plan how to make my DW feel special. I read this a few years ago on this board, so it's not original.

I give my DW a small gift each day of the cruise, they range from romantic cards hidden under the pillow, to one of her favorite candies (peanut brittle), to lotions, etc. At dinner at a speciality restaurant, I slide a small pale blue box across the table just before dessert. It just makes her feel special.

Our cruises are usually 6 months to a year out, which gives me time to plan how to make my DW feel special. I read this a few years ago on this board, so it's not original.

I give my DW a small gift each day of the cruise, they range from romantic cards hidden under the pillow, to one of her favorite candies (peanut brittle), to lotions, etc. At dinner at a speciality restaurant, I slide a small pale blue box across the table just before dessert. It just makes her feel special.

I like you!!

Here's our "secret":

Starting at the pier, and everywhere on the ship, treat every member of the crew with courtesy. Show a genuine interest in learning their name, and how to pronounce it correctly. Make it clear that you are truly interested in them. Say "please", "thank you", and "if you have a moment".

Not only has this allowed us to learn a lot about interesting people with tremendously varied stories; but alas, so many passengers treat the crew members like either serfs or robots, that they will really go out of their way to provide the extra friendly service for those who appreciate what they do.

Mind you this has nothing to do with tipping. That isn't the point. This is that the ships tend to be staffed with crew that strive to provide top notch service, and like each of us; put their best on display when they know it's valued.

Believe me, "the royal treatment" has never failed to follow.

Harris

Denver, CO

Harris I wish there was a like button I could click on this post!

Even if you don't get any extras from talking to the crew, it's a treat by itself to get to meet so many people from other parts of the world! Sometimes the stories they tell about their homes and their families are almost like adding another port to your trip.

# 7 brought a tear to my eye:). That is a memory that will remain with you forever. That and the hips story brings to mind a different vacation our family took. We brought my DH's mother and her two sisters to Disney World with us. One had recently had surgery and was in a wheelchair. She kept apologizing for troubling us so much - almost to the point of tears. We just could not get her to understand that she was actually doing us a favor. Besides the joy of a vacation long remembered (it's been 20 years now, and obviously I have not forgotten!), because she was in a wheelchair we were almost always able to go right to the head of the line with her, as that is Disney's way. It was wonderful. Lemons to lemonade:):)

That is so incredibly sweet!

Exactly, i think susie missed the general idea of diy luxury, lol!! But, she is happy bunny so i am happy for her! :D

Yep - me too

Here's our "secret":

Starting at the pier, and everywhere on the ship, treat every member of the crew with courtesy. Show a genuine interest in learning their name, and how to pronounce it correctly. Make it clear that you are truly interested in them. Say "please", "thank you", and "if you have a moment".

Not only has this allowed us to learn a lot about interesting people with tremendously varied stories; but alas, so many passengers treat the crew members like either serfs or robots, that they will really go out of their way to provide the extra friendly service for those who appreciate what they do.

Mind you this has nothing to do with tipping. That isn't the point. This is that the ships tend to be staffed with crew that strive to provide top notch service, and like each of us; put their best on display when they know it's valued.

Believe me, "the royal treatment" has never failed to follow.

Harris

Denver, CO

Harris,

Love how you think! treat them how you would like to be treated! The staff work hard and do not need to be yelled at by cranky tourists who think they are better!

I love this thread....We also enjoy treats already described such as staying the night before at embarkation port or airport hotel, really cuts out the hassle of closing up the house, travelling to join the ship etc and we arrive relaxed and ready to start our trip. I also take a well travelled battered silver photograph frame containing pictures our children , this is always by my bed. Taking care dressing for dinner and wearing a beautiful dress every night , cocktail or full length on formal evenings.I also take a finer bathrobe with me, it does have the Cunard logo on it ( such a rebel on a Celebrity cruise:)). Hubby usually gets a selection of sushi for us to enjoy while enjoying our "getting ready drink". On Cunard formal nights my husband orders a white rose (emblem of Yorkshire) wrist corsage for me to wear. It always attracts admiration and I enjoy telling fellow guests about our beautiful county.

Maybe we are just peasants, but we already feel like royalty just having someone else make up the beds and serve us our meals!

We are also from Sarasota and feel just like you do. Someone else to do the cooking, cleaning and making the bed. Just great.

Oh trust me, those little things like having my bed made, not cooking, and no cleaning, never fail to make my holiday special, I am often at home for weeks at a time looking after two boys, the home, and a job, so its BLISS!! :)

Was just trying to get across that we can do all the little perks for ourselves, without paying the cruise line for concierge packages etc. or, if we are not lucky enough to have a suite, we can still have the "sweet" life!! I ordered my bvlgari soaps from ebay, so i can have the lovely posh stuff, but i only use when i cruise so it feels special!

Maybe we are just peasants, but we already feel like royalty just having someone else make up the beds and serve us our meals!

Terigo, exactly! That is paradise to me.

I'm sort of a big sucker for room service, too.

Always go and have have a manicure and pedicure with Shellac before cruising.

Always look for something special to read and load up the Kindle before traveling.

Thanks to some of the previous suggestions I know I will be bringing some special stuff along for the next cruise.

Archived