blue glass blocking view on deck

fireflymd

There are open decks on both the Coral and Island fore and aft on Baja and Caribe decks plus some others. Some of the doors have signs to keep them closed, but some few ignore the signs and go out there anyway. They post on CC and boast about it.
There is nothing that prohibits you from going out the "secret doors" on Baja and Caribe. They just say not to keep the doors open. Going through the Panama Canal, there was a security staff member out there with us enjoying the transit. If it were prohibited, she would have chased all of us out. Plus, the naturalist asked us to wave a few times during the transit, so he could check his mike. The Captain was also on the bridge, and he would always wave whenever anyone looked up at the bridge and saw him. As you can see here, quite a few people use those forward decks during the Panama Canal transit.

7234851854_1163e667f9_z.jpg

Panama Canal: Gatun Locks by Jasperdo, on Flickr

We spoke to the crew. Those areas are supposed to be off limits when the ship is underway at sea, due to winds, at least officially. During ports and slow scenic cruising they are available (and more often than not no one bothers to lock the door at sea).

As you can see here, quite a few people use those forward decks during the Panama Canal transit.

Actually, I find this is a relatively low number of people which means that the doors to this viewing area are truly secret. If more people knoew about them, people would be lined up three deep.

This is where we were on the Coral, aft on deck 9 . We were not in an aft cabin. It is an open deck.

DSCN1933_zps79ec0102.jpg

There is nothing that prohibits you from going out the "secret doors" on Baja and Caribe. They just say not to keep the doors open. Going through the Panama Canal, there was a security staff member out there with us enjoying the transit. If it were prohibited, she would have chased all of us out. Plus, the naturalist asked us to wave a few times during the transit, so he could check his mike. The Captain was also on the bridge, and he would always wave whenever anyone looked up at the bridge and saw him. As you can see here, quite a few people use those forward decks during the Panama Canal transit.

Thank you both for posting these. It sounds like these areas, rather than "secret" or "off limits", are just little known. Why would there be a viewing deck, unlocked access to them, and no signs not to enter, that could not be used by the passengers? It wouldn't make sense.

Again, thank you both for posting.

They say a pictures says a thousand words. This one? 100,000

:D

We found out about the aft deck from another cruiser while aboard the ship. My husband was thrilled with the up close and personal views. We have great video and pics thanks to the cruisers advice.

:D

We found out about the aft deck from another cruiser while aboard the ship. My husband was thrilled with the up close and personal views. We have great video and pics thanks to the cruisers advice.

We found out about the deck here on CC. We used it all seven times we have traversed the canal even though we had a balcony. It affords a spectacular view. And we have always, always closed the door behind us...

Thankfully balconies on ships like the Pacific have no glass at all. This is such a plus when trying to take sun on the balcony and relying on the added reflective light upon the waters. We have never had such a tan. But the big plus is that one can comfortably place one's feet up on the steel rod railing. Try that with a glass wall...

I will truly enjoy.Also take my pictures from Balcony.

I learn about a lot of things that are permitted on the ships from the crew. Very good source of info and sometimes much more reliable than CC.

We were first told about the "secret" viewing decks by a princess crew member on our first Alaska cruise. And in the panama canal the ships photographers were on these decks taking pictures of passengers. Doesn't sound like a prohibited space to me...but do remember to close the door. There are plenty of areas where passengers are not allowed; these are usually indicated by signs stating "crew only" or something to that effect. Sorry, but you are misinformed.

And in the panama canal the ships photographers were on these decks taking pictures of passengers. Doesn't sound like a prohibited space to me.
Same here. We even purchased the photo the ship's photographer took of us out on the "secret" deck on the Coral Princess. If it's ok with them, a security officer who was out there as well, AND the Captain, who was waving to us from the Bridge, I don't see how this is a restricted space.

Archived