Vancouver pier to airport

shofer

After our Alaska cruise we are booked for a 10:30 AM flight to Seattle for our connecting Alaska Airlines flight back to Chicago. The TA was all for finding us the best fare possible. It looks like we are going to do early-off hauling our luggage.

My question is how close is to the pier are the taxis? This will be a Monday morning and we need to get to the Vancouver airport as early as possible.

Princess would not give us transfers because our flight were before 11 AM.

Starting to think this is going to be a nightmare if we miss this flight as there is only one other one going to Seattle early enough to make our connection and that will most likely be sold out.

Our TA said she could by us a preferred stand by seat for $25 on that flight within 6 hrs just in case. I really don't like to have such a stressful end to my trip but the TA seemed to think this was very doable.

Sue

After our Alaska cruise we are booked for a 10:30 AM flight to Seattle for our connecting Alaska Airlines flight back to Chicago. The TA was all for finding us the best fare possible. It looks like we are going to do early-off hauling our luggage.

My question is how close is to the pier are the taxis? This will be a Monday morning and we need to get to the Vancouver airport as early as possible.

Starting to think this is going to be a nightmare if we miss this flight as there is only one other one going to Seattle early enough to make our connection and that will most likely be sold out.

Our TA said she could by us a preferred stand by seat for $25 on that flight within 6 hrs just in case. I really don't like to have such a stressful end to my trip but the TA seemed to think this was very doable.

Sue

The taxis are right after you exit the luggage pickup area, and both are under the Canada Place pier. Very close and easy to find.

Definately do the early off, o get a jump on things and before the taxi line gets long. The ride to the airport is at least 30 minutes and easily could be longer seeing that it is a Monday morning (rush hour traffic).

If the taxi line is long, another option you have is taking the Skytrain (subway) to the airport. It is 20-25 minutes, plus about a 5-10 walk to the station. Cost is cheap ($2-3 each) and the cars are set up to handle luggage. If you want info on this do a search forum here on the skytrain and you will find some great info posted by a couple of locals who really know Vancouver.

DaveOKC

Sue

The ships come in around 6 am. You will need to be first off. Say 7 .00. 1/2 hr for customs. 15 mins to load into taxi . No more than 1/2 hr to airport. More like 20 mins. That takes you to 8:15. Should be fine. Unfortunately the biggest hold up is often US customs and immigration which are both done in Vancouver rather than Seattle.

This is unpredictable unless you have Nexus. Seems weird to have to do Can and US immigration 1 hr. apart but there you go.

A later flight to Seattle would be less stressful. Also there used to be a transfer arranged by the cruise lines that bypassed customs. (As if you we're in bond or in transit). Don't know if they stil do it.

Both options sound good. Thanks for the answers. I guess it is more realistic than I thought.

Sue

Remember that Vancouver is hard to get through. Its a long walk from the ticket counters through immigration and onto your gate. Since you will be early, you might not have a big wait at immigration, but you never know, as MOnday is a big business travel morning. Perhaps a local traveler can shed light on this.

DaveOKC

With having to clear both security and US Customs at YVR you need to be at YVR not later than 2 hours pre flight time....in other words 0830 which is not impossible but as tight as you would want it and one hiccup and you are hooped. It is essential that you are among the first walk-offs with your luggage and if there is any line for taxis then you best grab a limo at the curb. You should plan that a taxi ride on a week day morning is going to be about 30 mins.

Because you have such a tight time line and the rush hour traffic could really be your downfall... I would suggest you consider using our Skytrain to the airport it is a short 2 block walk to the station and it takes you right to the airport. Travel time on the Skytrain is approx 20 minutes

Your plan will work as it is if everything goes perfect. One traffic accident on the way to the airport and you are going to be hooped if you are in a cab. Yes the Skytrain is only two blocks from the terminal. How much luggage do you have and can you drag it around. That time of day the Skytrain will be busy with commuters. As mentioned YVR is huge and it can be a long walk from checkin to departure gate. US departures are close to one end of the building. Typically early morning is the busiest time for any airport. You will encounter long lines there. Why ruin a great vacation by having to spend the last day fretting about making your plane. Book a flight a couple of hours later.

Archived