Wonderful Copenhagen

The copenhagen Card Can only be purchased at Østerport station and not at the Langelinie Pier, but its a short walk.

And yes the 24 hour City Pass that costs 75 DKK can not be purchased in the busses.

The 24 hour transportation that costs 130 DKK does include a much larger area that the City pass but you do not need that because City Pass covers the areas you want to see.

My suggestion would be to start from Østerport and take bus 1A towards Avedøre and get off at Kongens Nytorv, this bus goes every 6th minute.

You can walk past the little mermaid on your way from Langelinie to Østerport.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Langeliniekaj,+2100+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Den+Lille+Havfrue,+K%C3%B8benhavn+to:%C3%98sterport+st,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.694616,12.593379&spn=0.01473,0.038581&sll=55.698428,12.600538&sspn=0.014729,0.038581&geocode=FfzjUQMd2kTAACl9mmQI3VJSRjGv7H9BeLTnBA%3BFSzOUQMd2j_AACE8HjWiDJCo3ykDIUKN65BMRjE8HjWiDJCo3w%3BFXXNUQMdCBPAACnfEvLB4VJSRjG9k1_w_c2V8g&oq=%C3%B8sterport&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=15

From Kongens Nytorv/Nyhavn the canal tours starts at 09:30 and takes 1 hour.

This walking route takes you past both Strøget and The Round Tower on your way to Tivoli.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=mindeankeret+nyhavn&daddr=Storkespringvandet,+Amagertorv,+K%C3%B8benhavn+to:Rundetaarn,+K%C3%B8bmagergade,+K%C3%B8benhavn+to:Storkespringvandet,+Amagertorv,+K%C3%B8benhavn+to:Tivoli,+Vesterbrogade,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.677443,12.576172&sspn=0.014736,0.038581&geocode=FfGdUQMdKxPAACHEz7NWCJHicCmxtIMHGFNSRjHEz7NWCJHicA%3BFVmXUQMd2PK_ACHpkpW7FbMWDClbvMzSEFNSRjHpkpW7FbMWDA%3BFUOhUQMd8uO_ACE3pD6jbZ865ymhm_uDEFNSRjE3pD6jbZ865w%3BFVmXUQMd2PK_ACHpkpW7FbMWDClbvMzSEFNSRjHpkpW7FbMWDA%3BFX6DUQMdFse_ACGwJwu1DQu12Snz6vaAElNSRjGwJwu1DQu12Q&oq=tivoli&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=15

On your way back to the ship you can take any northbound S-train from the central station track 9 and 10 and to Østerport where you can walk back to the ship or take bus 26 to Indiakaj at the bottom of Langelinie Pier.

The S-trains runs every 2-3 minute and the trip takes 6 minutes + 15 minutes walking.

If you want to take bus 26 from Østerport to the pier it runs at 19, 39 and 59 past the hour and takes 4 minutes.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/%C3%98sterport.pdf

The central station is located next door to tivoli.

Edited by Danish viking

I'm trying to decide on a hotel and wonder if anyone could offer advice.

We are stay 2 nights pre-cruise. Will be purchasing the CPH card. Our incoming flight arrives at 7:15 am so we will have 2 full days of sightseeing. We are a young and fit couple, and we like to pack as much in as possible. I have no preference on these two hotel themselves. Both seem to meet our needs for a clean, decent, safe place to sleep.

Choices right now are:

Best Western City Hotel: $170 USD/night w/ taxes and fees (972 DKK). On a US website, so no credit card fees and whatnot. Breakfast included.

Clarion Neptun: 1550 DKK/night ($271 USD). Includes breakfast and light dinner, which appears perfectly acceptable to us.

I guess the question is, what sort of dinner (for 2) could we get for the 578 DKK per night price difference. Better than the light dinner offered by the Clarion?

How fast is dinner dining in Copenhagen? If dinners are very relaxed and take a long time, perhaps it would be better to stay at the Clarion with its buffet. I don't see us lingering at meals when we could be out visiting sights.

Would my husband and I be able to purchase Copenhagen Cards for our entire group, or will they need to be there? Many have knee problems, it might just be quicker for my husband and I to dash down there, buy them and dash back so that they can use them to board the bus to Oysterport since walking is an issue for them.

You can go first and buy the CPH Card and then go back to the ship (or take the bus).

But then you don´t have to change at Østerport because bus 26 will get you directly to Kongens Nytorv.

And for wheelchairs you just use the middle door that is build to handle wheelchairs etc.

Edited by Danish viking

I'm trying to decide on a hotel and wonder if anyone could offer advice.

We are stay 2 nights pre-cruise. Will be purchasing the CPH card. Our incoming flight arrives at 7:15 am so we will have 2 full days of sightseeing. We are a young and fit couple, and we like to pack as much in as possible. I have no preference on these two hotel themselves. Both seem to meet our needs for a clean, decent, safe place to sleep.

Choices right now are:

Best Western City Hotel: $170 USD/night w/ taxes and fees (972 DKK). On a US website, so no credit card fees and whatnot. Breakfast included.

Clarion Neptun: 1550 DKK/night ($271 USD). Includes breakfast and light dinner, which appears perfectly acceptable to us.

I guess the question is, what sort of dinner (for 2) could we get for the 578 DKK per night price difference. Better than the light dinner offered by the Clarion?

How fast is dinner dining in Copenhagen? If dinners are very relaxed and take a long time, perhaps it would be better to stay at the Clarion with its buffet. I don't see us lingering at meals when we could be out visiting sights.

Both locations are spot on but you can get a decent meal for the price difference but if restaurants are not your style (service can be a little bit slow) then Neptun is the better hotel.

hello, our first trip to the Baltic and Copenhagen is where we will embark on our cruise, the Emerald Princess, August 2013.

we have a morning and our preference is to be in the city and experience it. our hotel is on helgoland gade. we would like to see the city sq, the anderson statue, visit the nyhavn area, do a bit of shopping at Stroget (?). we board the ship starting at 1 PM.

is it an interesting walk from our hotel or are we better of taking a bus? if so where, which bus, and where do we get off and how do we get to the Radhuspladsen?

thank you

Both locations are spot on but you can get a decent meal for the price difference but if restaurants are not your style (service can be a little bit slow) then Neptun is the better hotel.

Thank you. I just realized that the day we arrive is a public holiday...Ascension Day. I need to go back and revisit our plans, as I'm sure many things will be closed that day. We do not "officially" celebrate this holiday in the US.

Is it a big holiday in Denmark? I noticed many restaurants are closed on public holidays. Will we have trouble finding a place to eat? I was leaning towards the Best Western, but if many restaurants are closed, I suppose the Clarion is probably a better bet.

ETA-Will we find greater crowds at the attractions that are open this day? Or do Danes generally stay home and rest on public holidays?

Edited by LMCruise

You can go first and buy the CPH Card and then go back to the ship (or take the bus).

But then you don´t have to change at Østerport because bus 26 will get you directly to Kongens Nytorv.

And for wheelchairs you just use the middle door that is build to handle wheelchairs etc.

You are awesome! We've decided to definitely get Copenhagen cards for all 8 of us. Then off to the canal ride! I may add some other stops and check them with you later if you don't mind;)

Thank you. I just realized that the day we arrive is a public holiday...Ascension Day. I need to go back and revisit our plans, as I'm sure many things will be closed that day. We do not "officially" celebrate this holiday in the US.

Is it a big holiday in Denmark? I noticed many restaurants are closed on public holidays. Will we have trouble finding a place to eat? I was leaning towards the Best Western, but if many restaurants are closed, I suppose the Clarion is probably a better bet.

ETA-Will we find greater crowds at the attractions that are open this day? Or do Danes generally stay home and rest on public holidays?

Most (if not all) museums are open on Ascension Day but shops will be closed and public transportation will run after the Sunday/weekend schedule.

Restaurants should be open to or atleast they seems all to be open because a holiday means business for these places.

Generally museums and castles are not overrun :D only Tivoli.

But even if Tivoli is crowded is no way near Disney with hours in waiting lines.

hello, our first trip to the Baltic and Copenhagen is where we will embark on our cruise, the Emerald Princess, August 2013.

we have a morning and our preference is to be in the city and experience it. our hotel is on helgoland gade. we would like to see the city sq, the anderson statue, visit the nyhavn area, do a bit of shopping at Stroget (?). we board the ship starting at 1 PM.

is it an interesting walk from our hotel or are we better of taking a bus? if so where, which bus, and where do we get off and how do we get to the Radhuspladsen?

thank you

Helgolandsgade is located behind the central station so its close to everything.

Walk up to the big street Vesterbrogade (helgolandsgade is a sidestreet to that one) and turn right you will soon pass the central station, Tivoli and be at Rådhuspladsen (town Hall Square) and the HC Andersen statue.

Strøget starts at Rådhuspladsen and ends at Kongens Nytorv and Nyhavn.

Here is the route, justy ignore the detour around Rådhuspladsen.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Trommesalen%2FVesterbrogade,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Nyhavn,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.677318,12.575355&sspn=0.014737,0.038581&geocode=FbCBUQMd9ae_ACm3SwuYDFNSRjGVtOgOjCF5fg%3BFW2cUQMd7xzAACmnRzgzPVNSRjHRJ_YhMgDBrw&oq=nyhavn&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=mru&z=15

When you return you just take bus 26 towards Ålholm Plads and get off at the Trommesalen bus stop and walk to your hotel from there.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?q=Trommesalen%2FVesterbrogade,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.673026,12.560801&spn=0.001842,0.004823&sll=55.284908,11.710779&sspn=1.905154,4.938354&oq=trommesalen&t=h&hnear=Trommesalen%2FVesterbrogade&z=18

Most (if not all) museums are open on Ascension Day but shops will be closed and public transportation will run after the Sunday/weekend schedule.

Restaurants should be open to or atleast they seems all to be open because a holiday means business for these places.

Generally museums and castles are not overrun :D only Tivoli.

But even if Tivoli is crowded is no way near Disney with hours in waiting lines.

Thank you, you are such a wonderful help! I think we've decided on the Best Western. We probably won't book any better restaurants, but eating a hotdog or some other take-away will be fine for us.

So, if I have a choice of Tivoli on Thursday night (Ascension Day) or Friday night, which would you choose? We aren't planning on riding a lot of rides, probably 2-3 that interest us most. Mostly just walking around and eating a snack.

Friday night in Tivoli means Fredags Rock aka Friday Rock so there will be crowded around the Plænen area but not in the rides when the concert starts at 22:00.

Who performs will off course have a affect on the number of guests in Tivoli but the schedule will first be available in April.

And they call it rock but its both rocks bands (not heavy metal) pop, R`N`B/hiphop.

http://www.fredagsrock.dk/en/

So if you want some music its Friday or else its Thursday.

Edited by Danish viking

Danish,

I can not seem to find where the Vision of the Seas will dock in Copenhagen on Aug 7, 2013.

Will the taxi drivers know this info without being directed? Am I worrying to much?

We are so excited to visit your city!

Danish,

I can not seem to find where the Vision of the Seas will dock in Copenhagen on Aug 7, 2013.

Will the taxi drivers know this info without being directed? Am I worrying to much?

We are so excited to visit your city!

http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/calls/copenhagen

She is listed at Sundkaj C245 (freeport area) On Aug 6th

Edited by LHT28

thank you very much. it seems pretty simple as long as we stay on track. any suggestions for what would be good buys for children 7 girl and 10 boy and also for adults at reasonable price? what is made in denmark that is special?

Is LEGO to corny because I would sugggest just that.

I am exploring the idea of doing a very early self-disembarkation from the Eurodam since it overnights in Copenhagen and most of the flights that are available to me with FF miles are before noon.

What are the options for transportation to the airport at such an early hour (4am or so)? Will taxis be available throughout the night and early morning since the ship is in port overnight? If not, will the terminal be open so that I can call a taxi? Do I need to arrange for a taxi ahead of time? What about the train? Is it a long walk with luggage?

Today I was looking at Google Map regarding the path to walk from Nordhavn station to Freeport Cruise Quay. I see that it's about a 11 - 15 min. walk. When zoomed in and using the feature where you drag the little yellow man over the street for an actual street view, once you walk across Kalkbraenderihavngsade Street/Road, there appears to be an opening at a gate or entrance where you would walk on beyond the fenced in area to get to the piers and ship. At this entrance, there appears to be a turnstyle gate. Yet, there also appears to be an opening just to the right of the turnstyle. Just wondering, is it really a turnstyle that we would need to go through, in which case, if you were to walk there with luggage from Nordhavn station to Freeport, it could be akward to carry a piece of luggage through that narrow turnstyle gate. But, perhaps this is not necessary, as it also appears there's an opening right of the gate. Which brings the question, why is there both an opening and a turnstyle? Anyhow, just thinking of maybe using the S-train to Nordhavn, then walking to the ship, assuming weather is good, but wondering if that turnstyle is an obstacle or not? Perhaps Danish Viking, or someone who has done this might know the answer? Thanks.

I was visiting Costa NeoRomantica Tuesday. Took the train to Nordhavn and went the Way You described. Just follow the blue Line. It begins 50 meters before the gate. Easy to walk.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App